Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

typo: you DONT need to start bawling, i mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

opus111 posted:

typo: you DONT need to start bawling, i mean.

im gay

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
When I was in high school I was a super liberal and fancied myself a communist. Now I am 32 and as the years tick by I become richer and more fiscally conservative, since honestly I am selfish and don't want the government to take my money. Doubly so now that I have kids and want to stretch my dollars as far as they can go. A sad and honest story.

Also I still think that history is a tale of class struggle, even though I am finding myself on the opposite class that I started from!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

When I was in high school I was a super liberal and fancied myself a communist. Now I am 32 and as the years tick by I become richer and more fiscally conservative, since honestly I am selfish and don't want the government to take my money. Doubly so now that I have kids and want to stretch my dollars as far as they can go. A sad and honest story.

Also I still think that history is a tale of class struggle, even though I am finding myself on the opposite class that I started from!

yea but what about morality and ethics

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I started kinda liberal, but I've gotten more liberal as I've gotten older. Not extreme liberal, just a small shift left.
I don't know if that';s because I now understand politics better, or that the US right has gone batshit crazy since I first started voting in the mid-1990s.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
started out left, turned apolitical for a while, smoked a weed, now i'm even lefter than i was

also i was naive enough in my youth to think that we could never have a worse prez than tricky dick

wrote in al unser sr for prez, louis farrakhan for veep one election

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dee eight posted:

louis farrakhan for veep

:sigh:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

TEAYCHES posted:

yea but what about morality and ethics

Still super liberal when it comes to ethics and morality, no worries there. I think back in the day they had "Rockefeller Republicans" which supported the New Deal and Unions back in the '60s. If they still existed I guess I'd be one of them!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

soon your story will be impossible, and the notion of class mobility will make people laugh and snort with ridicule

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Still super liberal when it comes to ethics and morality, no worries there. I think back in the day they had "Rockefeller Republicans" which supported the New Deal and Unions back in the '60s. If they still existed I guess I'd be one of them!

so would you say you are socially liberal and fiscally conservative?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i'm surprised more of gbs doesn't self-describe as simply accelerationist

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
the 'defund the left' thing has completely and utterly succeeded and progress is over

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Haverchuck posted:

the 'defund the left' thing has completely and utterly succeeded and progress is over

what

the political tendency that made its most impact when it was a bunch of criminals and sweatshop workers getting shot at by pinkertons really fell apart when somebody took all the money away, unfair imo

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
gotta vote for bernie

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

TEAYCHES posted:

so would you say you are socially liberal and fiscally conservative?

I'd say that I am socially liberal and growing increasingly fiscally conservative, but I wouldn't say that I have evolved into a "fiscal conservative" as of yet - just that momentum seems to be moving in that direction.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
0-11: No ideology.
11: Muslims bad.
14-17: Conservative, both economically and socially. I used to think it was such a shame that women did not like to be housebound. Because otherwise the society of the 50`s would have been a pretty great time to recreate. Alas it was all a empty lie.
18-24: Smug atheist libertarian.
25: I would like to live in a country that`s strongly socially democratic and nationalistic, but also subtly militarized and authoritarian. It useful to have that if we want to build and maintain solidarity in a multicultural future. Imagine a country that looks and feels like Nazi Germany/Fascist Italy but whose substance is more like Scandinavia only more eco-friendly ( no Death Squads, Labour camps or antisemitism). Today my brain is pretty left wing, but my heart is a fascist.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I'd say that I am socially liberal and growing increasingly fiscally conservative, but I wouldn't say that I have evolved into a "fiscal conservative" as of yet - just that momentum seems to be moving in that direction.

but what about ethics and morality? the economy isnt your bank account

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Baudolino posted:

25: I would like to live in a country that`s strongly socially democratic and nationalistic, but also subtly militarized and authoritarian. It useful to have that if we want to build and maintain solidarity in a multicultural future. Imagine a country that looks and feels like Nazi Germany/Fascist Italy but whose substance is more like Scandinavia only more eco-friendly ( no Death Squads, Labour camps or antisemitism). Today my brain is pretty left wing, but my heart is a fascist.

So basically you want to live in Bismarck era Prussia? I could totally be down with that.

TEAYCHES posted:

but what about ethics and morality? the economy isnt your bank account

Back in 2012 Obama wanted to eliminate the tax break that bush gave to families earning 250,000 or over (which mine does). This happened right around the time when my two daughters were born super prematurely and had to be hospitalized for a very long time, so the thought of losing money that I could otherwise use for them loomed large and put me in a bad humor. Things have improved since then, but I've never really been able to fully shake off that "grrrr don't tax me I need that money for my family!" feeling I had.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 2, 2015

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Used to not give a poo poo. Then hated capitalism.
Now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712639&perpage=40

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

lots of unironic fascism itt

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I find that I hate everything and everyone more and more.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

lots of unironic fascism itt

this was the other answer I was expecting tbqh so at least the world is still in order

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So basically you want to live in Bismarck era Prussia? I could totally be down with that.

Back in 2012 Obama wanted to eliminate the tax break that bush gave to families earning 250,000 or over (which mine does). This happened right around the time when my two daughters were born super prematurely and had to be hospitalized for a very long time, so the thought of losing money that I could otherwise use for them loomed large and put me in a bad humor. Things have improved since then, but I've never really been able to fully shake off that "grrrr don't tax me I need that money for my family!" Feeling I had then.

but that wouldn't have been a big deal if the democrats were allowed to pass universal healthcahahahahha I can't do it

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I'm a communist but only fake communist because I want to be a dictator like Mao and get all that sweet peasant girl poon.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Back in 2012 Obama wanted to eliminate the tax break that bush gave to families earning 250,000 or over (which mine does). This happened right around the time when my two daughters were born super prematurely and had to be hospitalized for a very long time, so the thought of losing money that I could otherwise use for them loomed large and put me in a bad humor. Things have improved since then, but I've never really been able to fully shake off that "grrrr don't tax me I need that money for my family!" Feeling I had then.

I feel for your suffering

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

its surprisingly difficult to live on over 250k a year

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Universe Master posted:

I'm a communist but only fake communist because I want to be a dictator like Mao and get all that sweet peasant girl poon.

this is every communist post-1970 or so

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

lmbo if you are under 40 and have political ideals.

Radical politics are the privilege of youth, when you get older and have more responsibility everything changes.

People with kids having extreme political views have dreadlocks, smell funny and live in an old school bus. Most likely spotted at burning man.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Miggles posted:

People with kids having extreme political views have dreadlocks, smell funny and live in an old school bus. Most likely spotted at burning man.

Counter point: Libertarians.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

not extreme

guys who look and talk like walter sobchak are the american center m8

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

not extreme

guys who look and talk like walter sobchak are the american center m8

Has it changed this much?

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

Counter point: get of my lawn and get a job, hippy.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Has it changed this much?

yeah they're a lot less openly racist now than they used to be, or at least were save for the past 8 years

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Miggles posted:

Counter point: get of my lawn and get a job, hippy.

But sir! My job IS mowing your lawn.

I love everything grass related.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

TEAYCHES posted:

its surprisingly difficult to live on over 250k a year

Haha well I would never argue that. Simply put, that was the first time that I've been on the wrong side of fiscally liberal policy and I ended up resenting it because it would have negatively impacted me. Anyways, I wanted to answer your question truthfully so there it is!

Miggles
Dec 8, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

But sir! My job IS mowing your lawn.

I love everything grass related.

Then : carry on, mind the shrubberies.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

0-16: I was a victim of being raised in a tea party neocon household, so parroted parent beliefs

17-18: Brief libertarian sprint, probably more embarrassing than my trenchcoat goth phase @13

19-25: I took some math classes and majored in economics and became extremely conservatively economically minded individual, so by today's standards the most bleedingest of heart liberals

Fund every program, gently caress the rich, money is a joke

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
When I was young I followed the green party or whatever seemed right for the earth and people at the time, thinking my voice would make a difference. Getting passionate about issues, attending rallies and blah blah I was pretty fuckin insufferable lol

but ofc now I'm in my 30s I realise nothing we do or say really matters and the powers that be will just do whatever they want, politicians are only in it for themselves etc and arguably I wasted my youth when I could've been doing more drugs and the sex

Apathy is the way, friends. Live you're life for yourself and those around you

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Haha well I would never argue that. Simply put, that was the first time that I've been on the wrong side of fiscally liberal policy and I ended up resenting it because it would have negatively impacted me. Anyways, I wanted to answer your question truthfully so there it is!

tut tut, it wasn't exactly inline with the goon groupthink, you'd better get murdered soon!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

btw is there an actual name for the whiny goonlord political branch that thinks the reason we don't have the co-ops and free healthcare and drugs 40s radicals promised is because this world is so corrupt and unsalvageable and not

you know

the whole Stalin thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

btw is there an actual name for the whiny goonlord political branch that thinks the reason we don't have the co-ops and free healthcare and drugs 30s radicals promised is because this world is so corrupt and unsalvageable and not

you know

the whole Stalin thing

'shitlibs'.

• Locked thread