Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Tonight I decided to be adventurous and "go out" instead of dicking around on the internet and playing computer games. I decided to go to a bar.

Well, it turned out that it was simply too loud and unpleasant.

Seriously, are all American bars like this? Loud music blaring over speakers and about 10 TVs playing at moderate to high volume?

It's as if the owners are concerned that people might actually have a conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
lol

do the world a favor and stay home and play video games. something tells me you hung out alone.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
enjoyed the read, thanks

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
Loud noises may be painful. The din of a city street or a mall can be too much. When overwhelmed, people on the autistic spectrum may cover their ears to try to block out the noise. They may also start up self-soothing behaviors such as rocking or shaking their hands. Some people with autism also have central auditory processing disorder (CAPD), a condition that makes it difficult for them to perceive subtle differences in sound and language.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Some bars are loud and some are not. Hope this helps OP

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Look people, this is an international forum.

All I'm saying is: Is this what bars are like in Europe or where ever the hell you live in?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
self-soothing behaviors such as your posting

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
only the good bars are loud. the louder the better

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Some bars are loud and some are not. Hope this helps OP

last time I attempted to go to bars was in 2009, and I experienced this same unpleasant poo poo.

ideally a bar should be a bit more noisy than your typical Starbucks shop where the people seem afraid to speak to each other, but also not so loud as to forbid meaningful conversation and discussion.

I am right.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

all the bars where I live (United Sates of America) just have full blast white noise machines so no one is distracted from the star of the show - alcohol

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Are you sure it was a bar? Could it have been a club? Stick to what I call "local bars" these are lovely holes in the wall where the only patrons are people who live within walking distance of the bar. Usually theyre pretty quiet as everyoneis misery drinking instead of party drinking. In my personal experience a large drunk native american may challenege you to a game of pool(billiards) to see who buys the next beer. You may suck at poor but he's very drunk so you will win, then buy him the beer anyway cause it's easy to tell that's all he really wanted in the first place and pbr's are like a buck, so despite being the winner buy him the pbr anyway .

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Hand posted:

last time I attempted to go to bars was in 2009, and I experienced this same unpleasant poo poo.

ideally a bar should be a bit more noisy than your typical Starbucks shop where the people seem afraid to speak to each other, but also not so loud as to forbid meaningful conversation and discussion.

I am right.

You seem upset.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
You gotta master the "talk close and loud but not breathing directly on them" bar chat method, and also the fake chuckle when you don't understand what they said but want to keep it rolling technique. hth.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Just drink at home. The logistics of going out to drink and getting home safely are ridiculous.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Rubies posted:

You gotta master the "talk close and loud but not breathing directly on them" bar chat method, and also the fake chuckle when you don't understand what they said but want to keep it rolling technique. hth.

this is 100% true, once you get drunk enough no one really cares if the conversation is really happening, just chuckle and nod and drink more

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
perhaps the truth is that you're just really quiet. you talk softly and are unable to make eye contact with the bartender. they ignore you for these reasons and you don't get served so you never loosen up. you focus and dwell on how it's "too loud" until you become so uncomfortable you go home and post a thread about how it's the bars fault. you're now also having thoughts about mutilating your own penis because, in your mind, it would bring you closer to your true self - a gelded baby.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Seaniqua posted:

this is 100% true, once you get drunk enough no one really cares if the conversation is really happening, just chuckle and nod and drink more

Glad we agree, if the OP takes this advice we can move him into more advanced lessons like "crane your neck away from the girls like you're looking for your friends across the bar but are actually relaeasing a deep rumble beer burp into neutral non-convo air".

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

here's a good lesson OP: if the bar has a jukebox you can be the secret king of whatever music is playing

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
The loudest bar experience in the world is a drunk Minnesotan yelling about the vikings and how great Minneapolis is

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
That poo poo does get annoying, especially in bars that serve food.

Gotta cram in some local band into my tiny pub, sure their speakers alone take up 50% of the floor space, but the kids will love it!

Then you show up with some friends you haven't seen in a while and shout brief sentence fragments at each other all night while everyone pretends this is normal and good and way better then actually having any real interaction.

I think a lot of people are terrified of having real conversations these days. I mean holy poo poo, you might form a close bond, or heaven forbid politics comes up. You do not talk politics in America, because we are a broken nation full of assholes.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There's a bar in Manhattan where every so often the bartender shushes the bar if the general volume of people's voices has been rising. It sounds great but actually it's really offputting to have someone shushing you every 30-45 minutes.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Dead Gay Romans posted:

That poo poo does get annoying, especially in bars that serve food.

Gotta cram in some local band into my tiny pub, sure their speakers alone take up 50% of the floor space, but the kids will love it!

Then you show up with some friends you haven't seen in a while and shout brief sentence fragments at each other all night while everyone pretends this is normal and good and way better then actually having any real interaction.

I think a lot of people are terrified of having real conversations these days. I mean holy poo poo, you might form a close bond, or heaven forbid politics comes up. You do not talk politics in America, because we are a broken nation full of assholes.

*looks up from iPhone*

what?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

There's a bar in Manhattan where every so often the bartender shushes the bar if the general volume of people's voices has been rising. It sounds great but actually it's really offputting to have someone shushing you every 30-45 minutes.

this sucks

yelling rules

drink

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Sheep-Goats posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtIvRfyXThU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's mostly a craft beer place and they have murals of drunken monks behaving badly all over the walls. I forgot the name. Something Secret or whatever maybe.

E: it's called Burp Castle

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Sheep-Goats posted:

E: it's called Burp Castle

:eyepop:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
idea is to drink until it doesn't bother u

but u sound like someone who will find things to bother u

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
The loudness is so you don't have to talk to people. So you can drink alone surrounded by other people so you don't feel like an alcoholic.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
ya, I got my caramel pacquiato at starbux instead

hth, OP

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

unterdude posted:

caramel pacquiato

:captainpop:

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
I'd like to go to a bar that looks like star treks ten forward and only plays whale music and only serves saki and has a wise spiritual black woman for a bartender

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Simstim posted:

I'd like to go to a bar that looks like star treks ten forward and only plays whale music and only serves saki and has a wise spiritual black woman for a bartender

-OP

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Dead Gay Romans posted:

heaven forbid politics comes up. You do not talk politics in America, because we are a broken nation full of assholes.

you like discussing politics at bars? you might be The Worst Person

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SurKu4qcC4

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

that's awful

yell at all bars or be completely silent

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not a fan of noisy bars but yeah that obviously sucks and that's really what goes on in there.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-s_6UQm_IU

skip to like 1:12 for the point I am making

the point I'm making is gently caress that bartender

can you link to a specific time in a youtube video on SA? Come on Lowtacks

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
You decided to go to a bar on the night of manny vs floyd and you expected a quite crowd???

to be the fair some people might have fall asleep during the fight

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

Your Rain posted:

You decided to go to a bar on the night of manny vs floyd and you expected a quite crowd???

to be the fair some people might have fall asleep during the fight

I specifically decided to go out BECAUSE it was the night of the manny vs floyd fight. Turned out that the bar in question wasn't even featuring the fight on their tvs!

Honest to god, there weren't many people there, but it was still loud as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

Ed TheClam

• Locked thread