Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So, here's how it started:

First things first. Federal 595 RSRs, Black grilles, Depo indicators and Schirmer spec KW V3s.

Then I decided I needed some CSL bits.

I then I finally decided on the wheels I needed to get the look I want and the lighness/strength for track work. 18x10J et25 in conjunction with 265/35s all round for ludicrous turn in and grip.

Once these were on it was time for proper geo and full corner waiting with my fat rear end in the seat and a full tank.

I really splurged on the OEM boot but the fitment on other parts I've seen is pretty poor and the added lift reduction is probably something I'll need.

So that's basically how it sits now. I've got the following bits still to go on. Geoff Steel carbon wings, Yellow 8 pot monoblock Ksports with Pagid RS29s and PF discs, Stud conversion and pretty bolts and 20mm rear spacers(More camber when new GS arms go on):

I'm toying with the idea of vinyling up the arches in the style of Jeff Koons art car. As quite frankly I'd rather spend the £650+ of a proper paint job on track time.

The car's going into Geoff Steel in a couple of months for full polybush/subframe reinforcement/CSL steering rack/Shifter rebush etc. The coilovers are also going back to KW for a rebuild and revalve. Hopefully it'll be driving better than it did when it was new.

Then the proper test:

Before September I'm hoping to grab a pair of Recaro SPGs.

Ultimately the plan is to strip and cage it, do proper aero and fit a V8. E9x V8 with FI or a LS I don't know. I love the car but it does need more power ultimately. I want to be able to chase 458s and GT3s without too much bother. It's a lofty goal obviously, but I'd rather aim high and fail than settle for the boring.

So here's how it sits currently.

Would be ace to hear everyone's thoughts and get some more inspiration and stuff. You can also all call me nasty names and mock my poor life choices. Cheers!

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Why replace the wings with carbon fiber ones? Is there a significant weight difference or did something necessitate their replacement? I'd leave them exposed, if that's an option (assuming they're UV coated)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Why replace the wings with carbon fiber ones? Is there a significant weight difference or did something necessitate their replacement?

The OEM ones are massively susceptible to rust. Mine have started to bubble and being fixed under the corrosion warranty. They'll rust again so I thought gently caress it, grab these, save a bit of weight and bang the freshly painted metal ones in storage or use them to free up a bit of cash. I may do the doors and roof at a later date too as GS do a full set of replacement panels.

E: They're UV coated and lacquered yeah, I just think they might look a little bit :effort: if I leave them.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Bape Culture posted:

I'd rather aim high and fail than settle for the boring

way to make me feel like crap about my 330Ci.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It's damned near perfect right now. Please paint all the carbon fiber things to match.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Not sure why you'd go whole hog with carbon fiber wings, KWs, etc. Good products, yet cheap out on brakes by getting ksports.

Rest looks decent.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I was originally going to get a set of APs for triple the price, but recently autobild did a test on all the common brakes available for the m and the ksports outbraked everything else. I also spoke to a few friends in the business who reckon ksport essentially cloned a set of APs and added another pair of pistons. Really as long as the pistons are good and the calipers themselves rigid, I can't see how they'd go far wrong. Combined with the pagids and performance friction disks they should be pretty amazing. And if not, they've cost me not far off the cost of a set of replacement oem parts so I'll get the APs. There is method in the madness and a bit of gambling. Fingers crossed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Reasonable enough logic. I'm curious to see actual long term tests with them and how they work out for you.

As for me ragging on them... I run Ksport gravel coilovers on my RS. Not because I want to, they're too stiff and an obvious case of using the same cartridge for different makes that cheap chaiwan coilover companies love to do... but because the price is right and they're durable compared to a strut spring setup, I'm sure the valving/seals will go to poo poo pretty quick though.

The handbrake they sell is universally known as "good, but use a willwood cylinder as soon as you get it" kind of deal.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Pretty sweet car. Hope you plan on Go-Pro'ing your 'Ring attack.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah I've heard bad stuff about ks coil overs. Their brakes seem to be pretty well regarded by most though. Other than some qc issues and poorly fitting dust shields. Like I say it's a bit of a gamble but fingers crossed :)

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pretty sweet car. Hope you plan on Go-Pro'ing your 'Ring attack.

I will :getin:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I'll be honest, sometimes I feel like you kind of troll AI, so I came here thinking I may troll you, but I feel like that'd be pretty unfair considering I both like how your cars looks now and I like the art car fender idea. Question though, if the OEM fenders are being fixed why not just save all of the fender money for track time? Answering that carbon fiber is cool would be acceptable :)

Also, is your interior red? I don't think I've ever seen an e46 with a red interior, let alone red on red. Or maybe it's camel or tobacco and my color perception is just poo poo...

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'll be honest, sometimes I feel like you kind of troll AI, so I came here thinking I may troll you, but I feel like that'd be pretty unfair considering I both like how your cars looks now and I like the art car fender idea. Question though, if the OEM fenders are being fixed why not just save all of the fender money for track time? Answering that carbon fiber is cool would be acceptable :)

Also, is your interior red? I don't think I've ever seen an e46 with a red interior, let alone red on red. Or maybe it's camel or tobacco and my color perception is just poo poo...

I am not a troll op I just love cars and I love driving and I often feel this forum forgets it's what it's supposed to be about :D

It's because my corrosion warranty runs out next year and they WILL rust again so I just got these to last forever really. Also carbon is cool and it makes the car look a little bit more aggressive and I got a ridiculous deal!

Yeah its imola red leather. It's quite common on e46s. Red on red is quite rare though. I want to keep the colour scheme but unfortunately imola red hydes are about 500 quid each so retrimming expensive seats just isn't worth it to me :eyepop:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Since you aren't trolling, are you really trying to do the Nurburgring in 7 minutes BTG? 7:00 or 7:59? Could you talk about what options there are for lapping the 'ring? I know about the tourist days, but are there clubs where people who really want to get some serious times can run laps over and over without having to worry about getting stuck behind vans and diesel Jaguars?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Neptr posted:

Since you aren't trolling, are you really trying to do the Nurburgring in 7 minutes BTG? 7:00 or 7:59? Could you talk about what options there are for lapping the 'ring? I know about the tourist days, but are there clubs where people who really want to get some serious times can run laps over and over without having to worry about getting stuck behind vans and diesel Jaguars?

Yeah somewhere into the 7s. I guess realistically 7:30 eventually would be the aim. Which I think means I need to average about 110mph.

Yeah you can do proper real laps on track days. I'm a big fan of the destination Nurburgring weekends which are a lot of fun. £1000 for 2 days though so pretty expensive. This year I'll try and bang out somewhere between 10 and 20 laps and then have a real think about what I need to do. If I can break into 8s this year I would be very happy. No point rushing and writing it off when I can do a couple of trips a year and just chip away at my times :)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks very much for all the comments :) It's nice to see what people think, even if they aren't really feelin' my ideas!

Today a bunch of sensible bits arrived to make her run beaut until the ring hopefully!
Trying out the NGK iridium jobbies after hearing good things about them.

Then I did a wheel slip and this happened.

It's rear left abs sensor which I've already replaced once so I'm going to replace both driveshafts and both sensors since the stupid metal ring it reads has probably expanded and ground on the sensor.

Once this jar is full to the brim I'm going to see Geoff Steel with my list, which so far consists of;

Replace all bushes with Powerflex poly gear.
Repair and strengthen diff mounting points on the chassis.
Fit 2 new driveshafts and ABS sensors.
Re-bush gear shifter.
Fit CSL steering rack and tie rods and fit new castor bushes to bottom arms.
Replace front and rear brake hardlines.
Remove and rebuild/revalve dampers.
Alloy camber arms.
May do valve clearances as it looks like it's been a little while from my history!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ABS sensor triggered tire pressure and brake pad wear lights? :psyduck:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Pad wear was on tbf, but there's loads of meat left on them and the big brakes and pagids are going on next month (Fingers crossed) so gently caress it!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

meatpimp posted:

it is a bmw thing

I had broken sensor on my mini and the asc, abs, tps lights all went on

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

I just want to say that all three of your cars give me a massive throbbing stiffy. Proper jealous.

I've always had a soft spot for the e46 m3, but the s54 scares me. So I will just continue to throw money at my e30 hand over fist.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
do a burnout

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'd just fit the carbon panels and leave them unpainted but then I'm that kind of dickhead.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Your car sucks rear end and you should get a completely standard mx5 instead 🐕🐕

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Actually he should do the Koons art car panels because they own

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Actually he should do the Koons art car panels because they own

Good point. And yes if they're just over the carbon.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
When are you going ring? I still wanna go but my rings might be shot, doing a leakdown test this weekend :pray:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

When are you going ring? I still wanna go but my rings might be shot, doing a leakdown test this weekend :pray:

Sept 11 (never 4get)

I'm really glad people are into the art fender idea. Yeah 88h88, it'll just be over the carbon!

My friggin car is broke today ftl.

Fingers crossed it's just a coil pack and pretty cheap to replace. Otherwise that jar will soon be empty. Much like my life. And I'll sell it and buy a totally standard mx5 to auto cross. Thx.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

Sept 11 (never 4get)

I'm really glad people are into the art fender idea. Yeah 88h88, it'll just be over the carbon!

My friggin car is broke today ftl.

Fingers crossed it's just a coil pack and pretty cheap to replace. Otherwise that jar will soon be empty. Much like my life. And I'll sell it and buy a totally standard mx5 to auto cross. Thx.

I like it when people add a little touch of individualism to their cars and let's face it, BMW's art cars are loving great. So anyone suggesting you don't do it is wrong and should be ignored.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The koons m3 was insanely ftw and one of the best modern liveries.

Dunno if it would work with the red tho, but it's only a wrap.

Are you going to the ring on a td or a touristwhatever?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

This is cool but the length of your fingers make me uncomfortable.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I might be talking out of my rear end here, but why not go with something like an ESS compressor kit instead of a V8?

Otherwise, very nice build (just leave the wings unpainted for max :rice: cred).

And I agree with Mat_Drinks.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The superchargers are cool while they work, I just have reliability concerns. Massively highly strung engines + many boosts never seem to work out. I always notice after dudes fit these on forums, they sell it a month later. I mean it could be coincidence but I think they're palming off a ticking timebomb.

Agree how?

Anyway today sucked rear end and I got recovered :(

Quick scan a bit later and boom:

So HOPEFULLY it's a coilpack. I've ordered a new set and they'll arrive Friday and I fit them along with the new plugs!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Just replace the bad one. Keep a spare in the trunk. And yeah NA for the track. You don't need to heat soak your M3 on a 7 min lap and have to pull boost. Also the e46 is super light on extra room for cooling upgrades that would be needed to support a super.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Out of curiosity, I don't suppose anyone knows what the weight difference between a S54 + Manual box and a LS3 + Manual box would be? I have a sneaky suspicion it may actually come in lighter. Also do any nice shifters for Tremec 5050s/similar exist? I'm keen to go down the route of something like this if possible.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The 550 kit only runs 9 psi, seems quite moderate to me.

Fake edit: There's a clip out there with an E46 M3 with the kit I linked doing the Nordschleife in 7:30, I'm on my phone at work so I can't be bothered to look for it right now.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Bape Culture posted:

The superchargers are cool while they work, I just have reliability concerns. Massively highly strung engines + many boosts never seem to work out. I always notice after dudes fit these on forums, they sell it a month later. I mean it could be coincidence but I think they're palming off a ticking timebomb.

The superchargers seem to be a lot of money for not a lot of power gain. All the kits are stupidly expensive, and seem way overpriced for what they actually include. If you were going to drop that money and go forced induction i would lean very much towards turbocharging.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

The superchargers seem to be a lot of money for not a lot of power gain. All the kits are stupidly expensive, and seem way overpriced for what they actually include. If you were going to drop that money and go forced induction i would lean very much towards turbocharging.

How is an extra 217hp not a lot of power gain?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I want 600rwhp :mrgw:
No I haven't thought about diffs.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

warcake posted:

How is an extra 217hp not a lot of power gain?

217hp isn't just a bolt-on supercharger kit, is it? I've seen quite a few kits for £6,000+ that run you to like 420bhp or something.

Obviously not entirely comparable, but the kits i've seen for VW R32s and such are about the same money and add about 100hp.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

217hp isn't just a bolt-on supercharger kit, is it? I've seen quite a few kits for £6,000+ that run you to like 420bhp or something.

Obviously not entirely comparable, but the kits i've seen for VW R32s and such are about the same money and add about 100hp.

Dunno that ESS one linked above seems bolt on and says it'll do 550hp and is designed to work with the OEM exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

warcake posted:

Dunno that ESS one linked above seems bolt on and says it'll do 550hp and is designed to work with the OEM exhaust.

I stand corrected, didn't know that there was a bolt-on kit that produced that much power. Pretty impressive figures, but that's a lot of money, i wonder if you can get the same results with a turbo for the same or less money? (Maybe not due to changing the whole exhaust?)

Good progress, Bape, love the wheels and the CSL bootlid. Always had a soft spot for these, they're such great-looking cars. I'd love to own one one day, but i'd need to do something about the raspy exhaust.

• Locked thread