Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Well that's a pretty lovely return. :smith: What are plans now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
:rip: :dings: :rip:

What the hell happened?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bandman posted:

:rip: :dings: :rip:

What the hell happened?

He found out that you can only hit the "space shuttle" button once.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
pros: most hardcore burnout on the forum
cons: now you have to put a V8 in there

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Ether Frenzy posted:

pros: most hardcore burnout on the forum
pros: now you have to put a V8 in there

I see no problems here.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

A rod got upset and decided it wanted to see the world hahaha.

This was chasing a 458 challenge for about 5 laps. So at least it was an amazing way to go!

Since I stopped posting, I also added seats, harnesses and a nice wheel.

But then since it blew up I went full mental and ordered the following parts...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bape Culture posted:

You did the right thing. You're just lucky the Ferrari didn't start on fire and take you with it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I thought about building an e46 m3 touring but I learned that the bearing design in the s54 are poo poo. That sucks. Good luck with the LS conversion!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wrar posted:

I thought about building an e46 m3 touring but I learned that the bearing design in the s54 are poo poo. That sucks. Good luck with the LS conversion!

It's not that big of an issue, especially if you were going to do an engine swap.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

Hell yeah. Welcome back, a5h.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ether Frenzy posted:

op when you're done with this, you should buy an E92 M3 and convert it to an E46 M3 and see if you can recoup the costs from this project

good luck with your V8 M3 bape, this will be fantastic. welcome back. Your car is still really nice looking even if it doesn't exactly car, per se, at the moment, I'm glad your escapee rod didn't go upwards.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm sorry your engine killed itself but what you're doing now is good times.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
drat that sucks.

However, you should have the thread title changed to "Building a race car one rod at a time. My stupid E46 M3". :haw:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks lads. I am very excited 😁
Insurance is turning out to be a real ballache though!

Edit. Can I have a good pun for the title please. Maybe "The Real American M3, LS is More" thx

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What block are you going with? Rx swaps have been known to have issues with oiling on LS-x conversions during HPDE/track days. My friends LS3 has yet to have any, but it's only done one track day.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

the spyder posted:

What block are you going with? Rx swaps have been known to have issues with oiling on LS-x conversions during HPDE/track days. My friends LS3 has yet to have any, but it's only done one track day.

LS3 block. I'll be using a trap doored f body sump (to get it sitting as low as possible).
My builder has built about 10 cars in this identical spec that race on slicks and don't have any issues. So touch wood it should work. 😟

What's Rx sorry?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Bape Culture posted:

LS3 block. I'll be using a trap doored f body sump (to get it sitting as low as possible).
My builder has built about 10 cars in this identical spec that race on slicks and don't have any issues. So touch wood it should work. 😟

What's Rx sorry?

RX-7 duhh bitch

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ok Scary Terry.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
lovely feeling to blow up an engine :(

Looks like you've got a really cool plan forward though, good luck and make sure to :justpost:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thank u

I'm in love with this goddamn shifter setup. My god those welds 😍

Nobody has made one work with the tremec before so fingers crossed my wizard of a builder can do it!

You can check out some of his previous stuff here:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/03/faster-than-a-superbike-a-real-1017hp-street-fighter/

Also I drove this the other day and it was loving savage. 102mm tb and heavy as multi plate clutch made it quite exciting when setting off!

I think I'll paint my intake manifold crackle black and my valve covers insanely metallic flake gold. Might throw an m stripe on somewhere to wind up the purists too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Anything that annoys purists is the thing to do.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

88h88 posted:

Anything that annoys purists is the thing to do.

//PUSHRODS

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

I think I'll paint my intake manifold crackle black and my valve covers insanely metallic flake gold. Might throw an m stripe on somewhere to wind up the purists too.

Take it a step further and turn the intake runners into M stripes.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Take it a step further and turn the intake runners into M stripes.

I wonder if that'd work it's just a crappy casting isn't it.
Anyone able to do a photoshop?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

I wonder if that'd work it's just a crappy casting isn't it.
Anyone able to do a photoshop?

I think it's plastic, I was thinking about taking 3 of the runners, painting them the M stripes, then have the stripes continue down the driver's valve cover with the "M" on the cover. Beautiful.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Red and white alternating runners. Insane sparkle silver stars on metallic blue valve covers 🤔🤔🤔

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thank u mods 😁

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Arent you gonna need some more rubber on the ground with the ls. Have you bought the ls yet will u let me drive it when its done.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Less rubber = less traction = arse out round alllllllllllllllllllllll the corners. See: Chris Harris in the Merc on space savers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
you're batshit in the best possible way

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Arent you gonna need some more rubber on the ground with the ls. Have you bought the ls yet will u let me drive it when its done.

285 square semi slicks will be fine I'd imagine. I'll upgrade to direzzas once I get sick of sliding all around 😁🏃🏻
You can have a go once you've tamed that 115hp of yours and stop spinning all over the track 🤔😂😈
LS etc is all paid for and say on a pallet at partsworldperformance 😈

BlackMK4 posted:

you're batshit in the best possible way

Thank you my friend I was hoping all you guys would drop into my thread reboot 😁

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I hope brexit doesn't cause your furrin car to get deported.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hahaha. I'm glad I brought in my CAE setup last week!
I ended up with a spare billet aluminium shift knob and I want to get it coated in copper and then clear coated. Anyone know what company would do that and how much it would cost? Alternatively I wish I knew someone who could airbrush well so I could get an American flag blown onto it :buddy:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bape Culture posted:

I ended up with a spare billet aluminium shift knob and I want to get it coated in copper and then clear coated. Anyone know what company would do that and how much it would cost? Alternatively I wish I knew someone who could airbrush well so I could get an American flag blown onto it :buddy:

Hydrodip it.

http://hydrodipstore.com/product/hot-lava-copy/

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Hahaha. I'm glad I brought in my CAE setup last week!

It'd be cheaper to have someone make a new knob out of solid copper. Hydrodipping is a decent option if you don't want a metallic though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Right then. Everyone said I would regret having a 200mph car and no cage.

Wing wasn't necessary yet but it was a bargain!!!!! I'm not addicted to buying parts!!!!!

Hopefully car will be in in about 3 weeks.

Supposed to be going to Nurburgring last weekend of September.

My pal has just had a Schirmer GT E46 built that is Proper. And he's said I can drive that to compare head to head. Which means I assume I'll come back and have spent another 10 grand on dampers and fancy wtcc arms and have no excuse for being slow and poo poo!!!!!

Anyway I am insanely excited about this car. Like I can't stop thinking about it.

:mrgw:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Any reason why you went with that ECU? Megasquirt or the stock GM ECU seems more capable.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This is going to be such a dope build.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wrar posted:

Any reason why you went with that ECU? Megasquirt or the stock GM ECU seems more capable.

How so?

I was originally going to use a pectel jobbie after hearing good things but after speaking to my builder and his tuner I decided to go for this. He's comfortable working with them and has a direct line to manufacturer for trouble shooting. No pay to unlock crap and very reliable. He's probably built about 30 cars in this configuration running between 400-1500hp with no issues including full on race cars. He's done a couple with other ECUs and had trouble. I think something about LS coils may be awkward for a mega squirt off the top of my head.

A lot of the LS based ultima guys seem to really rate them too.

What features will I be missing out on? When I compare insanely huge spec sheets it seems to have basically all of the features this side of a bosch/motec for a fraction of the price? It's not really something I understand in depth so thought I was just going with what the people putting it together know and recommend :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Well, this seems to be an issue from my perspective:
Ignition coil drivers 6 internal drivers, configurable as Active high for external amplifier control or Active low for direct coil control
Injector drivers 6 internal high power drivers

Unless they can trigger the injectors some other way, the stock ECU works great unless you're boosting it, and the Megasquirt MS3x does 8/8. Doing wasted spark isn't that big a deal, but again, both the GM and MS3x would be fine.

As for LS coils on MS, they're not. That lunatic over on Sloppy Mechanics has a 750 HP LS Colorado and has done dozens of cars with an MS setup.

It does sound like your tuner has a way around it, though. The GM ECU is a super-well known quantity in the States and probably Australia, with LSEdit and dozens of other ways to tune them.

• Locked thread