Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So, here's how it started:

First things first. Federal 595 RSRs, Black grilles, Depo indicators and Schirmer spec KW V3s.

Then I decided I needed some CSL bits.

I then I finally decided on the wheels I needed to get the look I want and the lighness/strength for track work. 18x10J et25 in conjunction with 265/35s all round for ludicrous turn in and grip.

Once these were on it was time for proper geo and full corner waiting with my fat rear end in the seat and a full tank.

I really splurged on the OEM boot but the fitment on other parts I've seen is pretty poor and the added lift reduction is probably something I'll need.

So that's basically how it sits now. I've got the following bits still to go on. Geoff Steel carbon wings, Yellow 8 pot monoblock Ksports with Pagid RS29s and PF discs, Stud conversion and pretty bolts and 20mm rear spacers(More camber when new GS arms go on):

I'm toying with the idea of vinyling up the arches in the style of Jeff Koons art car. As quite frankly I'd rather spend the £650+ of a proper paint job on track time.

The car's going into Geoff Steel in a couple of months for full polybush/subframe reinforcement/CSL steering rack/Shifter rebush etc. The coilovers are also going back to KW for a rebuild and revalve. Hopefully it'll be driving better than it did when it was new.

Then the proper test:

Before September I'm hoping to grab a pair of Recaro SPGs.

Ultimately the plan is to strip and cage it, do proper aero and fit a V8. E9x V8 with FI or a LS I don't know. I love the car but it does need more power ultimately. I want to be able to chase 458s and GT3s without too much bother. It's a lofty goal obviously, but I'd rather aim high and fail than settle for the boring.

So here's how it sits currently.

Would be ace to hear everyone's thoughts and get some more inspiration and stuff. You can also all call me nasty names and mock my poor life choices. Cheers!

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Why replace the wings with carbon fiber ones? Is there a significant weight difference or did something necessitate their replacement?

The OEM ones are massively susceptible to rust. Mine have started to bubble and being fixed under the corrosion warranty. They'll rust again so I thought gently caress it, grab these, save a bit of weight and bang the freshly painted metal ones in storage or use them to free up a bit of cash. I may do the doors and roof at a later date too as GS do a full set of replacement panels.

E: They're UV coated and lacquered yeah, I just think they might look a little bit :effort: if I leave them.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I was originally going to get a set of APs for triple the price, but recently autobild did a test on all the common brakes available for the m and the ksports outbraked everything else. I also spoke to a few friends in the business who reckon ksport essentially cloned a set of APs and added another pair of pistons. Really as long as the pistons are good and the calipers themselves rigid, I can't see how they'd go far wrong. Combined with the pagids and performance friction disks they should be pretty amazing. And if not, they've cost me not far off the cost of a set of replacement oem parts so I'll get the APs. There is method in the madness and a bit of gambling. Fingers crossed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah I've heard bad stuff about ks coil overs. Their brakes seem to be pretty well regarded by most though. Other than some qc issues and poorly fitting dust shields. Like I say it's a bit of a gamble but fingers crossed :)

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pretty sweet car. Hope you plan on Go-Pro'ing your 'Ring attack.

I will :getin:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'll be honest, sometimes I feel like you kind of troll AI, so I came here thinking I may troll you, but I feel like that'd be pretty unfair considering I both like how your cars looks now and I like the art car fender idea. Question though, if the OEM fenders are being fixed why not just save all of the fender money for track time? Answering that carbon fiber is cool would be acceptable :)

Also, is your interior red? I don't think I've ever seen an e46 with a red interior, let alone red on red. Or maybe it's camel or tobacco and my color perception is just poo poo...

I am not a troll op I just love cars and I love driving and I often feel this forum forgets it's what it's supposed to be about :D

It's because my corrosion warranty runs out next year and they WILL rust again so I just got these to last forever really. Also carbon is cool and it makes the car look a little bit more aggressive and I got a ridiculous deal!

Yeah its imola red leather. It's quite common on e46s. Red on red is quite rare though. I want to keep the colour scheme but unfortunately imola red hydes are about 500 quid each so retrimming expensive seats just isn't worth it to me :eyepop:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Neptr posted:

Since you aren't trolling, are you really trying to do the Nurburgring in 7 minutes BTG? 7:00 or 7:59? Could you talk about what options there are for lapping the 'ring? I know about the tourist days, but are there clubs where people who really want to get some serious times can run laps over and over without having to worry about getting stuck behind vans and diesel Jaguars?

Yeah somewhere into the 7s. I guess realistically 7:30 eventually would be the aim. Which I think means I need to average about 110mph.

Yeah you can do proper real laps on track days. I'm a big fan of the destination Nurburgring weekends which are a lot of fun. £1000 for 2 days though so pretty expensive. This year I'll try and bang out somewhere between 10 and 20 laps and then have a real think about what I need to do. If I can break into 8s this year I would be very happy. No point rushing and writing it off when I can do a couple of trips a year and just chip away at my times :)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks very much for all the comments :) It's nice to see what people think, even if they aren't really feelin' my ideas!

Today a bunch of sensible bits arrived to make her run beaut until the ring hopefully!
Trying out the NGK iridium jobbies after hearing good things about them.

Then I did a wheel slip and this happened.

It's rear left abs sensor which I've already replaced once so I'm going to replace both driveshafts and both sensors since the stupid metal ring it reads has probably expanded and ground on the sensor.

Once this jar is full to the brim I'm going to see Geoff Steel with my list, which so far consists of;

Replace all bushes with Powerflex poly gear.
Repair and strengthen diff mounting points on the chassis.
Fit 2 new driveshafts and ABS sensors.
Re-bush gear shifter.
Fit CSL steering rack and tie rods and fit new castor bushes to bottom arms.
Replace front and rear brake hardlines.
Remove and rebuild/revalve dampers.
Alloy camber arms.
May do valve clearances as it looks like it's been a little while from my history!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

ABS sensor triggered tire pressure and brake pad wear lights? :psyduck:

Pad wear was on tbf, but there's loads of meat left on them and the big brakes and pagids are going on next month (Fingers crossed) so gently caress it!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

When are you going ring? I still wanna go but my rings might be shot, doing a leakdown test this weekend :pray:

Sept 11 (never 4get)

I'm really glad people are into the art fender idea. Yeah 88h88, it'll just be over the carbon!

My friggin car is broke today ftl.

Fingers crossed it's just a coil pack and pretty cheap to replace. Otherwise that jar will soon be empty. Much like my life. And I'll sell it and buy a totally standard mx5 to auto cross. Thx.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The superchargers are cool while they work, I just have reliability concerns. Massively highly strung engines + many boosts never seem to work out. I always notice after dudes fit these on forums, they sell it a month later. I mean it could be coincidence but I think they're palming off a ticking timebomb.

Agree how?

Anyway today sucked rear end and I got recovered :(

Quick scan a bit later and boom:

So HOPEFULLY it's a coilpack. I've ordered a new set and they'll arrive Friday and I fit them along with the new plugs!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Out of curiosity, I don't suppose anyone knows what the weight difference between a S54 + Manual box and a LS3 + Manual box would be? I have a sneaky suspicion it may actually come in lighter. Also do any nice shifters for Tremec 5050s/similar exist? I'm keen to go down the route of something like this if possible.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I want 600rwhp :mrgw:
No I haven't thought about diffs.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ormy posted:

Is that Roa loving Island?

It's is aye. Visited the Mrs as she was working there. Got a puncture and waited 8 hours to get flatbedded home :thumbsup:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Cakefool posted:

How much are the carbon fenders? Mine are rusty as gently caress and there's no way I can be arsed to try and get them warrantied on a nearly 12 year old car with 4 previous owners.

400 quid from Geoff Steel.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Supercharging ruins the character of the S54. You need to take it to Evolve in Luton for the proper NA treatment.

Evolve stuff is insanely overpriced. If I was gonna do this I'd get the Geoff Steel one. It's just not worth the money for the gainz I M H O

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Today's inspiration:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Early 2005 and like 150k. It was owned by some really rich guy though and been sent back to dick lovett for all work. So it's really really nice.

Also the Nurburgring owns and is a bit scary and you kind of just have to accept you might die if you want to go really quick. Also ironically the close barriers actually help reduce injury and death as they tend to absorb impacts not head on and you generally go spinning down the grass for the rest of the deceleration

My mate Craig wrote his csl off there so I'm acutely aware of the risks and consequences. I love this car and hopefully don't push it too far before I'm capable. I just love it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

It's funny hearing someone in a cage saying that :v:

What that means

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Turbos are cool as poo poo but I just can't think it'd be better than a v8!

Heat
Reliability
Expense
Complicatedness

V8 wins on all counts. Hail satan.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Plz, do not fight. Here is a new pic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Can confirm, V8 is where it's at in a M3. If you wanted to save a lot of effort, I believe they may have made a model for a few years that actually came with one from the factory??

E9xs are insanely fail unless you have 120k to give to Tom schirmer to make it own.
They just don't feel fun and are v expensive to tear up!!!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

do a burnout

I will :mrgw:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there any reason I should NOT buy glow in the dark goodridge brake lines? :mrgw:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

HELLO BEAUTIFUL

THEYRE FREAKIN HUEG!!!! :mrgw:

E: For scale!

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 19, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNDon9_82U

Is there a decent selection of pads available for em?

Like you said theyve had decent reviews and stuff but when I think k-sport all I can think of is insanely lovely coilovers. Is there any difference in brake bias?

They're ap sizes mate. That's how I could get the pagids! :getin:
I'm probably going to be slightly over braked at the front, but I have a lot of friends who swear it's not bad! Will pick up a set of rears if I feel I need them though.
It seems the coil overs were fully crap but they figured out how to rip off good brakes pretty well :newlol:

Pierced Bronson posted:

obviously be sure to bed them in properly before trusting your life to them. That oil slick appearance of the rotors is probably a trialloy plating which will take time to burn off.

Aye of course! Rs29s will need bedding anyway. What's the point of the coating on the disc? Just so they don't rust in transport?

Also can anyone explain why people witter on about dust seals? It seems like even if they had seals, they'd burn off after hard track use? Also what's the best way to keep them clean? Surely not full disassembly every month?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hmmm. I may have underestimated how complex a brake caliper actually is.
It's too late now and if I hate them I can always grab the aps and migrate most of the bits over so not a lot of money is lost.
Obviously I hope my little gamble pays off though :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

320mm I think.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

SniperFox posted:

Not sure I'd trust my life or car with ksport. Going by their coils which are absolute poo poo. Hondas and Toyota owners run them because "stance" and cheap.

Saying they're a ripoff of AP's... That's like saying a ripoff set of Rays TE-37 are the same as the real deal structurally/strength wise. Then you bend them over a small pothole.

Good luck. But I'd never get on track with you on it :nexus:

No. If someone 3 scanned some TEs and then forged them in the same way, from the same material, I'd happily run them.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

This is a friend of a friend's ride. He's also yabbering about getting carbon panels because "seems like rust is a design feature on these"

BGW is apparently only an addition for his trip to Nurburgring.

Good! Any vids?
Are those 19s thought?!
Is he over the midlands way near you? Be interested to get his thoughts!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

He's friends with a bunch of my mates but I've never met the guy. I asked him if it was cool to give you his details so you can quiz him about his car and he said it was so here:

https://www.facebook.com

Ask away fella. I'm assuming he's round Birmingham way due to which friends we have in common.

10 friends in common. Small rear end world!

Jymmybob posted:

The coating is zinc plating probably with hex yellow chromate and it's so the rotors don't rust to the car or wheel after installation with a bonus of looking nice on the shelf. It's a big deal with most OEs now and there's a lot of work on spray/dip coatings and nitro-carburizing to replace the plating but it's hard to make cost-effective since plating is so cheap and heat tolerant . Brake component corrosion in general is getting a lot of attention because of how open wheel designs are on modern cars.

Neat cheers for the info! Does that mean they'll stay looking like that then or is it just on the surface? I assumed it would burn off!

track day bro! posted:

It's not like a car can look presentable but have completely rotten sills or anything. Ask me how I know :gonk:

How do u know op????????

Just realised the rear brake lines require removal of exhaust and fuel tank. REALLY FRIGGIN COOL.

DOES ANYONE sorry caps does anyone know the bed in process for rs29s? All I can find online is people guessing. Or maybe modern rear end ceramic pads don't really need it?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If you're ripping something off there's no r&d which are probably the most significant costs in most automotive stuff. Not that I expect these to be AS good, but I saved around £2k which atm I think could be better spent elsewhere! I'd prefer it to not turn into a thread about just my brakes though. At least let me get them on and give them a go :)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I've booked my car into JS racing for the first week of August which is very exciting.
I've also now got a M13 sump plug cause I stripped the stupid ally sump >:[
I was very mad.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I went to see some friends.

Now I am saving for some intrax 4 ways with their arc setup and a full weld in cage. Suspension is absolutely phenomenal but £££££.

One of he guys is also running a cae shifter which I absolutely love. Need to think long and hard about a v8 before I buy one though.

I'm going to run the same aero as both of these guys for now. Flossman front with Geoff steel wing that mounts through the boot and into the chassis. Cost effective and remarkably good considering the ease. Means I need to sell the oem csl boot however as refuse to cut it up. Will pick up a carbon rep and go to town.

Here's the front.

Spoke with Geoff Steel again and ordered some new arbs as well as changed my powerflex order to black.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I can't bring myself to cut up the oem one when if I sell it it'll probably pay for 90% of the wing and carbon boot

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Your friends do bad things to good cars.

Lol what's bad about full on circuit cars!

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm a little bummed that you don't think that motor is enough for the car. I've never driven an M3 but I rode in a buddies mid-90s and it seemed plenty fast to kill yourself. What v8 would you put in?

It's fast enough to kill myself but it's not faster and lairier than 458s and stuff yet! I want a shonky rear end race car that will kick the teeth out of anything on the road that's not a million pounds.

A ls7 or a modified 3 I suppose. 500hp/ton please.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

MrChips posted:

So my question is why would you go to all this trouble modifying an M3? Don't get me wrong, they're great cars but I'll bet if you totalled your cost of what you've spent so far (and what you're planning on spending) you'll could have bought a 911 Turbo or some such thing and be at least in the ballpark of what you'd end up with in the M3.

it's fun as heck

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm trying to do it gradually :ssh:
There's no harm in having a car miles above my ability that looks fuckin hilarious at the same time though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Have you considered autosoloing a completly standard rusty NA MX-5 instead of doing what you enjoy? Which is to spend over 9000 british pounds on your M3 or we, I dont care but it seems kewl 2 me.

Thank u op.
It's funny 2 me that ppl want a forum about "automotive insanity" and then want me to crash because I'm building a car to go fast???? Fairly hosed up when u really think about it
I car

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

Op I hope you don't void your warranty with all these non-oem modifications

It's actually currently in at BMW getting warranty paint work lol :D great service.

Also I should mention that I'm not bitching at jamal as I think his opinions are v valuable to me and the car. Time attack is cool as tits.

E: is there any reason I shouldn't make a big gurney flap for the edge of the boot lid and the top training edge of the wing? It seems like it could be beneficial. Can anyone get me scan data from a e46 and I'll friggin cfd it!!!! When Greece get kicked out of the eu I will order a load of German aero for cheap I think.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ah okay. I thought their main function was to eliminate vortices? I know you've described that on the trunk lid, clean rejoin with the under flow but what about wing vortexes?

I think I'll come up with some sort of rear facing thing off the back edge of the trunk like that but smaller.

It's very fun to think about for sure and if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them. Even if they're fully stupid.

I think that flossman front setup is pretty good though for starters on front downforce. Especially since it goes through and joins the flat underbody. Read diffuser needed but I've not seen anything yet. I don't know.

There'll be some hilariously boring aerodynamicist at work I'll try to get out of his comfort zone and help.

• Locked thread