Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
In 1990, the MPAA began adding short descriptions to their ratings, like so:

Predator 2 posted:

Rated R for strong violence and language, and for sensuality and drug content.

You've all seen these before. For those of us who've had kids post-1990, they're a good barometer of what, specifically, a movie contains and whether or not it'll be appropriate for your little guy/girl/otherkin. For those of us who were kids post-1990, it was pretty much an instant guide to how much rear end an action movie or horror movie was gonna kick.

Some of them are a tiny bit shonky, though:

Twister posted:

Rated PG-13 for intense depiction of very bad weather.

Beverly Hills Ninja posted:

Rated PG-13 for sex related humor, martial arts violence and a humorous drug related scene.

This one's not that weird until you realize Beverly Hills Ninja starred Chris Farley. :cripes: Not so humorous in hindsight.

Dead Alive/Braindead posted:

Rated R for an abundance of outrageous gore.

AVP: Alien vs. Predator posted:

Rated PG-13 for violence, language, horror images, slime and gore.

Ice Age posted:

Rated PG for mild peril.

Grumpier Old Men posted:

Rated PG-13 for salty language and innuendos.

Anyone got any others? I think I've gone through all the infamously oddball ones, but a room full of old white men getting confused is never not funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Rated NC-17 for titties and dick, touching each other.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Age of Adaline posted:

Rated PG-13 for a suggestive comment.
Just one. I would really like to know what it is.

The Longest Ride posted:

Rated PG-13 for some sexuality, partial nudity, and some war and sports action.
God forbid the children see athletic competition.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if they still use it but I used to see a "tobacco use" warning.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know if they still use it but I used to see a "tobacco use" warning.
I think they just say "smoking scenes" or something to that effect now.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

3-Ninjas: Knuckle Up was rated PG-13 for non-stop ninja action.

Edit: Alice in Wonderland (2010) rated PG for fantasy action/violence involving scary images and situations, and for a smoking caterpillar

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory rated PG for quirky-situations, action and mild language

Conal Cochran has a new favorite as of 04:03 on May 5, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

From a real DVD/Blu-ray:

Sadly I forget what movie it was from.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Team America:World Police posted:

Rated R for graphic crude and sexual humor, violent images and strong language - all involving puppets

This was the first that came to my mind

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
First one that came to my mind:

Mean Girls posted:

Rated PG-13 for sexual content, language and some teen partying.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My all time favorite one (and soon to be yours as well)

Godzilla vs Biollante posted:

Rated PG for traditional Godzilla violence

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Not quite what you're talking about, but I've always been partial to this poster; that X-rated rabbit is cool as hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inevitable posted:

Not quite what you're talking about, but I've always been partial to this poster; that X-rated rabbit is cool as hell.

There's a really funny bit on the cartoon Freakazoid where Jack Valenti (who was President of the MPAA) came out and explained what the various ratings meant and told little stories about the people going.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

There's a really funny bit on the cartoon Freakazoid where Jack Valenti (who was President of the MPAA) came out and explained what the various ratings meant and told little stories about the people going.

Freakazoid was such a good loving show

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Serial masturbator spotted in the NC-17 movie

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
South Africa's FPB has some detailed comments as well.
I'm quite fond of this one:

LA BLUE GIRL RETURNS - DEMON SEED - EPISODES 1 & 2 posted:

Comments:
THE SEXUAL THEME DEPICTED INVOLVES FAMILIES (CLANS) WHICH CHALLENGES HOW FAMILIES FIGHT THEIR DIFFERENCE - THROUGH SEX?. THE THEME IS ADULT AND SEXUAL
I like the " - THROUGH SEX?" bit. It reads like "I don't know what the gently caress this is, to be honest."

I'd also like to think we have the most complicated ratings system in the world.
The official rating for "Dear White People" is "16 D L N P S V" It's the minimum age (16), followed by the letter categories Drugs, Language, Nudity, Prejudice, Sex and Violence.
It's missing SV (Sexual Violence) and H (Horror). It also doesn't have an age range where Parental Guidance is needed.
So I suppose the most complicated (but unlikely) rating possible is "10-12 PG D L N P S V SV H". And all that has to go on the poster.

AtomD has a new favorite as of 20:40 on May 6, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The ESRB also has some funny video games stuff.

Scribblenauts posted:

items can be used to destroy objects or even other summoned items (e.g., steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions)

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Chamale posted:

quote:

steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions

annnnnnd we have a thread title already

B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

Are you talking to me or my ass?
Unbreakable: Rated PG-13 for mature thematic elements including some disturbing violent content, and for a crude sexual reference

Just one. I think it was when some dude in a comic book shop tells Sam Jackson to not jack off to the Japanese comics.

edit: didn't read thread.

B-Hard has a new favorite as of 15:40 on May 8, 2015

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

This one was always one of my favorites, and it sums up the movie pretty drat well:

Pink Flamingos posted:

Rated NC-17 for “a wide range of perversions in explicit detail.”

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AtomD posted:

South Africa's FPB has some detailed comments as well.
I'm quite fond of this one:

I like the " - THROUGH SEX?" bit. It reads like "I don't know what the gently caress this is, to be honest."

I'd also like to think we have the most complicated ratings system in the world.
The official rating for "Dear White People" is "16 D L N P S V" It's the minimum age (16), followed by the letter categories Drugs, Language, Nudity, Prejudice, Sex and Violence.
It's missing SV (Sexual Violence) and H (Horror). It also doesn't have an age range where Parental Guidance is needed.
So I suppose the most complicated (but unlikely) rating possible is "10-12 PG D L N P S V SV H". And all that has to go on the poster.

Guess the anime:

quote:

JAPANESE CULT ANIMATION FILM WITH DISTINCTLY ADULT THEMES WHICH MAY BE CONFUSING AND DISTURBING FOR SENSITIVE YOUNGER VIEWERS AND EVEN ADOLESCENTS

:lol:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

B-Hard posted:

Surprised Team America: World Police hasn't been posted yet: "Graphic crude and sexual humor, violent images and strong language -- all involving puppets."

It was posted two days back.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
This is a list of rating descriptor strings for the New Zealand OFLC for video games, which I had to implement in our marketplace UI. It's 10x longer than the list for any other country, except for Australia which has almost the same list (minus a few of the wackier ones).

Content that may offend
Could have a negative effect on children
Cruelty
Dangerous stunts
Depicts graphic & realistic war scenes
Disturbing behaviour
Disturbing content
Domestic violence
Drug references
Drug use
Explicit language, particularly of sexual references
Explicit portrayal of sexual conduct including use of menstrual blood
Explicit sex scenes
Explicit sexual material
Extra material may offend or disturb
Fantasy horror
Fantasy violence
Flashing images that may cause seizures
Frequent disturbing depictions of violence
Frightening fantasy scenes
Genital mutilation
Graphic amputation
Graphic animal cruelty
Graphic content may disturb
Graphic content that may offend
Graphic violence
Horror
Horror scenes
Irresponsible behaviour associated with alcohol
Low level offensive language
Low level sex scenes
Low level violence
Medium fantasy violence
Medium level violence
Medium level violence with disturbing scenes
Mild language
Nudity
Objectionable unless its circulation is restricted to 18
Offensive language
Other content that may offend
Prolonged sequences of brutal violence, torture & cruelty
Realistic horror
Repeated explicit sexual content
Sadistic cruelty
Sadistic violence
Scary scenes
Scenes of torture & degradation
Several scenes may offend
Sex scenes
Sexual abuse
Sexual abuse themes
Sexual coercion
Sexual content
Sexual content that may offend
Sexual material
Sexual references
Sexual themes
Sexual violence
Sexualised imagery
Sexualised nudity
Some scenes may disturb
Some scenes may scare very young children
Strobe lighting effects may affect some people
Strong fantasy violence
Strong offensive language
Strong sports violence
Strong violence
Suicide
Supernatural themes
Suspense
Torture
Violence
War footage

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Guess the anime:

:lol:

That's fuckin' gotta be Akira.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

FuSchnick posted:

This is a list of rating descriptor strings for the New Zealand OFLC for video games, which I had to implement in our marketplace UI. It's 10x longer than the list for any other country, except for Australia which has almost the same list (minus a few of the wackier ones).

Content that may offend
Could have a negative effect on children
Cruelty
Dangerous stunts
Depicts graphic & realistic war scenes
Disturbing behaviour
Disturbing content
Domestic violence
Drug references
Drug use
Explicit language, particularly of sexual references
Explicit sex scenes
Explicit sexual material
Extra material may offend or disturb
Fantasy horror
Fantasy violence
Flashing images that may cause seizures
Frequent disturbing depictions of violence
Frightening fantasy scenes
Genital mutilation
Graphic amputation
Graphic animal cruelty
Graphic content may disturb
Graphic content that may offend
Graphic violence
Horror
Horror scenes
Irresponsible behaviour associated with alcohol
Low level offensive language
Low level sex scenes
Low level violence
Medium fantasy violence
Medium level violence
Medium level violence with disturbing scenes
Mild language
Nudity
Objectionable unless its circulation is restricted to 18
Offensive language
Other content that may offend
Prolonged sequences of brutal violence, torture & cruelty
Realistic horror
Repeated explicit sexual content
Sadistic cruelty
Sadistic violence
Scary scenes
Scenes of torture & degradation
Several scenes may offend
Sex scenes
Sexual abuse
Sexual abuse themes
Sexual coercion
Sexual content
Sexual content that may offend
Sexual material
Sexual references
Sexual themes
Sexual violence
Sexualised imagery
Sexualised nudity
Some scenes may disturb
Some scenes may scare very young children
Strobe lighting effects may affect some people
Strong fantasy violence
Strong offensive language
Strong sports violence
Strong violence
Suicide
Supernatural themes
Suspense
Torture
Violence
War footage

I'd be fine with my child playing a game with sexual abuse, but sexual abuse themes?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

2 Fast 2 Furious posted:

Rated PG-13 for street racing, violence, language and some sensuality

Still my favorite.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

FuSchnick posted:

Supernatural themes

Okay I've been sitting here trying to figure this out- what's the deal with this one? Does this just get slapped on any game with a ghost, even if it's Casper or some poo poo?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Chamale posted:

The ESRB also has some funny video games stuff.

*reinstalls Scribblenauts*

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzbE0wpqeKc

Finally, my username is relevant!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FuSchnick posted:

I couldn't even think of one game per sex-related entry, much less enough to justify opening a category. Or are those free text strings?

quote:

That one is particularly oddly specific, and it doesn't help that there's no entry for portrayal of sexual conduct without the use of menstrual blood.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Australia only recently started giving R-ratings to video games, half of the time banning them instead and half of the time, including with GTA IV, being more lenient with MA 15+. Obviously the rating description box was packed full. Come GTA V, they are handing out R-ratings and obviously the ACB probably decided to give it one before it was even announced. The problem is they've implied by giving GTA IV an MA rating that all the usual GTA stuff doesn't warrant an R-rating, so the rating box just says "Drug Use" as if that's the only thing about the game that's at all offensive.

e: I swear the situations funnier when it's not being tediously explained by me :downs:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Either that or maybe a ghibli film.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Megaspel posted:

I'd be fine with my child playing a game with sexual abuse, but sexual abuse themes?

I think the difference is "literally depicts sexual abuse" and "suggests and describes but doesn't show sexual abuse".

Anyway, Shin Megami Tensei IV:

quote:

During the course of the game, some female demons wear outfits that expose their breasts or buttocks; other demons have phallic-shaped heads or torsos.

Oh come on some male demons expose their buttocks!

This disclaimer is in most of the SMT games' descriptions, because they use the same designs a lot.

quote:

Damage is indicated by screen-shaking effects, flashes, or zapping sounds; some attacks result in blood-splatter effects.

Like popping into geysers of blood. I like the animation for moves like Titanomachia the best because the enemies just fly off into the horizon.

Persona 4's gives away to the twist to the King's Game:

quote:

Story elements also make references to alcohol, including a long scene in which the main characters hang out in a club and play 'drinking games.' Although alcohol is never consumed, the characters display the telltale signs of intoxication: slurred speech, staggered walking, and red faces.

Wow spoilers?

Persona 3 Protable: It's Symbolic!

quote:

Some sequences depict characters summoning Personas by shooting themselves in the head with a gun-like device (an Evoker); however, glass shards materialize through the exit wound.

"Some sequences" yeah all the combat in this JRPG. After a while regular attacks are a waste of time so entire battles are just your team shooting themselves a bunch.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's one of the later discs of Evangelion. I couldn't pull up End of Eva, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's one of the later discs of Evangelion. I couldn't pull up End of Eva, for some reason.

drat, pretty apt descriptions of both.

• Locked thread