Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
:siren: Rocket League is coming on July 7th 2015! Free for PS+ members in July, $19.99 for non-Plus and Steam users:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApsoyO3qiA

Rocket League is an exciting game that combines parts of soccer (futbol if you're a wanker), go-karts, and demolition derbies. The object of the game is to get the big, giant ball deep into your opponent's territory and penetrate their goal and to stop your opponent from doing the same to yours. The game follows the same rules from the first iteration on Playstation 3 "Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars" but boosts the graphics up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC82dWrFqCE

What stands out about this game versus other games that share a similar minigame is that you've got a rocket booster built onto the car. How cool is that? An industry first. You compete in a closed arena with ramped walls and the ability to climb nearly all of the way to the top, this allows you to get some great angles on the ball whether offensively or defensively. Oh yeah, you hit the ball with your car. Another industry first. You've got a limited amount of boost but it does allow for some pretty wicked flying once you get good at it. The game is played in short, 5-minute matches of either 3v3, 2v2, or 1v1.

The full game will feature:

quote:

Major visual upgrade
Single-player Season mode
Car customization
Online and Local Splitscreen Multiplayer
Unlockable Vehicles, Arenas, and Customization Items
Dedicated gameplay servers
Broadcast-quality replay editor
Regular updates and content/ feature drops
Much, much more!

Here is a quick tutorial done by veteran Famiy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-VIC5xVhtE

And here is a highlight reel of a guy who is very very good, learning how to boost properly to propel yourself from the crazy angles will definitely make you an E-Progamer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVmqssa5v4

News release from Playstation Blog 6/3/2015

quote:

The team here at Psyonix has been overwhelmed by the positive worldwide reaction to our upcoming action-sports game Rocket League. Which is why we want to give you all not one, but FOUR major pieces of information in a single announcement!

The first two are right there in the headline: Rocket League will be available for purchase on PlayStation Store July 7th, while Twisted Metal’s famous ice cream truck, Sweet Tooth, joins our roster of playable cars as a special unlockable vehicle exclusively on PS4! Watch our brand new trailer below for proof!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4iT0yZEwk8

What the headline doesn’t tell you is that Rocket League will also be one of the few games in history that supports PS4/ PC cross-play — meaning that owners of both the console version and the PC version will be able to team up or go head-to-head in the same matches when the game launches early next month!

And finally, we’re very proud to announce that Rocket League will be making an appearance at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) and will be playable in near-finished form. Season Mode, splitscreen multiplayer, car customization, and Sweet Tooth himself will all be available to check out and enjoy all three days of the show. We can’t wait to see you drop by to enjoy it!

I know I say it in every post, but on behalf of the entire team at Psyonix, that you VERY MUCH for the continued sentiment, support, and suggestions during the development of this game. Without you, our sequel to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars never would have happened, and for that, we are forever grateful.

checksin posted:

Soundtrack is up on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bucvnee4qfe55gadci4ebk6sy5e&tid=song-T27modke4zroo3ynagjgmty7ufi

Not recommended if you're driving near a soccer field full of kids and can't resist the urge to start chasing the ball with your car

:siren:Add your Steam/PSN profiles here to make friends!:siren:

:siren: Steam Group here!:siren:

:siren: There's also Camping the Stairs mumble server and a Discord community to hang out in. :siren:

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Doggles, I had a few games with you the other night. You're really good and I was hoping each match we'd get paired together. Didn't know you were a goon though!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

The key to being able to pull off those ridiculous flying shots is predicting where the ball is going to be 3 seconds before it is actually there. When you have a decent prediction of where and when the ball will bounce things become a whole lot easier (and more stylish) so just play the game, then play it some more and then a little bit more until you have a full understanding of the physics affecting the ball and yourself and you will be well on your way.

Speaking of physics I bumped into a very, very good player a week or so ago when I was streaming and highlighted the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kewXi3JYFtM Please excuse me shouting like some kind of idiot but I was terribly impressed with their ability to plan and execute poo poo that I barely pull off through sheer luck alone.

Ah, so you're 1000 Angry Bees! I had a few games with you on Friday or Saturday and knew you were a goon! I believe I played Day-Z some time ago too with you! Didn't run to into AstroPhzics though holy poo poo.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
AMA going on right now with the devs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/357vds/official_rocket_league_ama_with_psyonix/

Will update with choice quotes.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
No official word on reddit, twitter, etc.

Odd.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
!!!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Can you do parties of 6 or 8? It'd be fun to get a private party chat going on PS4 and just play pick up games with goons.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Pleads posted:

Yep. PSN party limit is 8 and that is also Rocket League's max so hey that works out.

I mean can you actually set up parties of 8 on RL to play a private game?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Pleads posted:

Also yes.

Hell yes. Thank you! Anyone wanna get some rowdy 4v4 games going in a bit?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Had some awesome games last night man thanks for stopping by, I archived the stream on Youtube if you want any replays for a highlight reel or anything https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W-v0vVC58o

Also, it boggles me that people are complaining about goalkeepers, If you don't have at least 1 person willing to hover around the goal and come forward when big opportunities arise you will get smashed by any half decent team. The real villains are people who just circle around trying to destroy other cars and ignoring the ball entirely but thankfully I have only run into a couple.

It was fun! My ping was much better playing on EU servers than it was on US servers for whatever reason... Also is Kahoma a goon? That guy was super super good and was a great keeper/striker. I wish I could spectate people because he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. I tried practicing a bit on my own but man is it difficult when you've got 5 dudes crowding the ball at all times.

Yeah goalkeepers are definitely needed, especially when you're stuck with a team who insists on sitting under the ball at all times. Kahoma played it really well, never stayed in the offensive zone chasing and booked it back as soon as the defense took possession.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

icking fudiot posted:

Not happening, rewarding Demolish incentivizes a playstyle we don't think is beneficial to the game. It's in there but you aren't going to earn XP for constantly destroying people.

Speaking of XP, is there going to be any sort of analytics for each match? I'm guessing XP is already in the backend and it determines who you get matched with based on your overall XP?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for the new OP video a cop!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Which one of you is BootyClapQueen? We had some great matches last night, that was a lot of fun! It's interesting to see how certain players you play with just know to cover on D when somebody comes up. I'll have to get some footage uploaded sometime here. It's also crazy once you find some equally skilled players how long they stay in the game. We had probably 6-7 games of all the same players and nobody left until I think we had that crazy 8-0 match haha

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rorobb posted:

Just curious, but do you guys exclusively use Ball Cam? It's all I've been using, and after a while I've definitely learned to just know where I am on the pitch. The only times it gets a little confusing is when there's a really high bounce and the ball is directly above me, but I find switching back and forth to be really distracting.

I use it maybe 90% of the time. In instances where the ball is just floating like that, I check to make sure we've got somebody playing D and use it as a chance to grab full boost and maybe try to take an angle to hit it. Many new players will simply wait for the ball to come down to make some insignificant nudge on the ball but I've learned to keep moving and use it as an opportunity to get yourself setup for an attack.

I use the regular cam if I'm sprinting back on D to make sure I'm not ramming any of my teammates who may be pushing up. As as soon as the defense puts the ball near half field I'm making sure we've got somebody playing keeper and try and grab another boost.

I think a big thing to keep in mind is using your double-forward jump instead of boost if you need speed, because boost is going to be a HUGE advantage once you learn to fly, having it topped off will allow you to make a try at almost any ball outside of jumping distance and with full boost you can pretty much fly 85% of the field.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Pleads posted:

Gonna request again that people who park INSIDE the net for 75% of the game be blown up automatically.

Haha was that group of 4 of yours that I just played?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

a cop posted:

I posted a link to the Rocket League beta on my FB but someone just reported they're out of keys? No more instant keys???

I believe they said they only have 25k available. Didn't they post it on Friday that they were giving them away instantly? Not surprised that they're out after 3 days, this game is gaining a lot of traction.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

a cop posted:

Ah drat. Still, 25k is awesome. Here's hoping for one last beta leading up to the game being released. Ride the hype train!

Beta or not, I'm pumped to see what kind of response this game gets. I'm guessing we'll see it out by early June if we don't get another beta but hey I'd be all for having another free week to play it. I just want customization already!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't know about a lot of you guys, but it's been fun to see how much better I've gotten at this game since the betas started. I had highlighted a bunch of clips from my first day but ended up deleting most of them because of how bland they were in comparison to some of the poo poo I was able to pull off the last week. Seriously, once you learn how to fly, your skill immediately goes up past most everyone.

Also I'm surprised with how few people understand how physics compensation works. Like, if you hit the ball at a wall that's perpendicular from you, they won't cut off the angle, they'll chase the ball to the wall and back. And that's just to be able to hit the ball at all, not with any significance. Countless times I've had teammates get in my way as I'm trying to cut an angle on the ball and they're just chasing it without any purpose.

Also fyi if you're driving straight, using a double-jump forward will give you the same speed as a boost will, so conserve that poo poo for flying or emergencies. You can also double jump backwards to get top speed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So apparently the game does have some nifty backend bookkeeping to pair you up with similarly skilled players. Psyonix-Dave also made a top-100 player list of the beta in terms of stats. They've got some algorithms behind it too.

http://www.psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11064&start=120

CatpissNeverclean and myself played a bit with Kahoma who is very good at this game, but there's a few names on the list that I just don't see how they could be on there based on my time playing with or against them. Not holding much to a list like that though. They did say they reached 40k people with the beta which is pretty awesome.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is it possible to do freeplay with other people? Could we set up custom games amongst each other?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Here is a highlight video I made with the worst video editor ever: Share Factory. Comes with stock song too!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcPzrji6gqc

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Longshot but are you the same Gibbs that posts on reddit and the Psyonix forums?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

gibbed posted:

No, that's someone else.

Right on, thought I'd ask anyways! :)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Could a mod add "Coming July 7th!" to the title?

So excited and really surprised they're doing cross-platform play with PC. As brought up on Reddit, I'm wondering how they'll deal with cheat detection?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

But Not Tonight posted:

Someone post the huge :eyepop: because this one isn't enough

Any word on a Steam release date?

I get that it's unpopular with the console crowd, and I really hope they have a strong anti-cheat system in place. As a legit PC gamer I really loathe hackers, they gently caress it up for everyone.

Based on everything I'm reading it's coming the same day, dual release. So that's pretty sweet considering I remember them saying "later this year" for PC release.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

quote:

You can't party with a friend on a different platform, because you aren't actually friends on the platform you are on. We use the party system for each platform, so these aren't compatible ideas. That said, we will support crossplay in private matches.

Writing our own party system is a big task, which we may undertake at a later time.

Assuming you wanted to play with someone you know, rather than a random person, you would use private match. The details are still in the works.

Source: http://psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11267

Bummer about this, but hopefully they can implement something to get that going. I was wondering what happens if I use the same username for both Steam and PS4 in the event I buy it twice.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Leaderboards are coming! Not that I think this is a surprise to anyone but none the less they will be implemented and you'll be able to compare stats with your friends too!

http://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3b7p16/leaderboard_top_10_amount_of_wins_goals_mvps/

Surprised by the leaders in some of these categories having played a few of them but meh, still a neat little feature.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 26, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just over a week left boys, cannot wait to play this game.

I'm hoping that down the line they do some sort of clan or team system for online play. The party system (if it's the same as beta) was a bit clunky but I'm optimistic that Psyonix has their poo poo in order on what to improve.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bunky posted:

Probably because of the cross-platform play.

Upon release, you won't be able to party up with people on the platform you're not on.

BUT

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
poo poo, may as well get this for Steam now too since I was willing to shell out the cash. Haha

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

checksin posted:

Awesomenauts was free on Plus at launch and it bankrupted the company
Please don't be Awesomenauts :gonk:

Awesomenauts, while a decent game, is a MOBA and frankly MOBAs are hard to be successful and/or good for a new player base. RL is pretty much the only game of its kind, it's got a great overall aesthetic to it, the gameplay is pretty diverse even against a MOBA (what with physics being both predictable and unpredictable and of course human decision making), and the developers are really open to their community and have been pretty darn transparent when it comes to sharing information.

I don't see how RL can fail unless matchmaking is completely broken and you've got guys like Fyshokid or Kronovi facing off against new players consistently. Even from what I've seen, the matchmaking in beta was pretty good and I never felt like I was constantly wrecking teams or being destroyed myself. Heck, even when Catpiss and I teamed up with one of the best players of the beta (Kahoma), we still lost games but it never felt unfun.

Edit: With Awesomenauts too, it relied super heavily on team based play. Rocket League games can be carried by one good player on a bad team or vice versa. The concept just seems to work so well. Yes I am drinking the koolaid.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 1, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Feenix posted:

I'm actually curious if this changes their plans at all with regard to DLC. Their original pitch (SOCCER PUN!) was "Under 20 dollars and lots of post-release DLC for free!"

AFAIK, DLC will be cosmetic stuff only. Maps are free and I imagine some cosmetics will be added with each update.

icking fudiot, is there any plans for more cross-promotions like the Sweet Tooth vehicle? It'd be sweet to have things like the batmobile or say the vehicles from the Wipeout series.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

checksin posted:

Soundtrack is up on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bucvnee4qfe55gadci4ebk6sy5e&tid=song-T27modke4zroo3ynagjgmty7ufi

Not recommended if you're driving near a soccer field full of kids and can't resist the urge to start chasing the ball with your car

Totally forgot about this. If you're getting this on PS+ just buy the album instead and use the rest of the money for DLC! Added to the OP.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I haven't found positive confirmation but when is the game coming out? Midnight for $20 and then sometime around noon on PS+?

We are now less than 36 hours from playing!!!!!!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Apparently you can make a New Zealand PS+ account and get the game RIGHT NOW but meh, not worth it to just wait until midnight.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Played a 27-week season yesterday. Pretty fun but All-Star opponents seem to have a much easier time scoring than your own All-Star teammates. Had to bump it down a bit and even then my teammates were pretty terrible at some points.

Game is still fun as poo poo.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Kinda sucks that NA didn't get the midnight release, I'm guessing it'll pop up at the normal PS+ release time (something like 1pm EST?). Also kind of funny to see Reddit melting down with all of the "I stayed up until 5am to play this and nothing. gently caress you Sony."

And people said doing the NZ trick was too much work or took too much time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

queeb posted:

Are the PC servers up? wondering if I should grab this on steam.

They use the same servers as PS4 so no, they're still down.

That said, you can still play single player modes and get the same unlocks to use for online.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Pleads posted:

Do you still unlock customization in single player matches?

Yes sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The Season mode AI is ridiculous. Started the season 6-0 and had plenty of helpful teammates but now it seems like they can't do a drat thing on offense and they are absolutely terrible with getting the ball out of the defensive zone. I am now 6-6 in my second season. The goalie AI is pretty predictable too (at least on All-Star), the goalie will always retreat to the back of the net when it notices an offensive attack. Every. Single. Time.