Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Just to hype you guys up a little more, Secret Wars #1 is REAL good. If you were at all disappointed with the end of Avengers this will make you feel much better. I can't wait for everyone to read it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Now that it's out, I really loved the little Punisher moment. He got to die doing what he loved. I think the story at the "end" of Avengers suffered a little bit because of how self reliant(?) they needed to make Secret Wars. Like this issue had the actual conclusion to a lot of stuff, but it also really sets up the series going forward, so it had to be in Secret Wars.
Hickman has also said that by issue 2, it will be much more clear how things are going to go forward.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Also really glad Ribic is doing art on this book, I love his stuff.

Yeah, the knowledge that every issue is at least going to have art as good as this one is really comforting. Especially coming out of Avengers/New Avengers.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Fuckin Deodato man...

Deodato wasn't even the worst imo.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

You don't like Lenlil Yu?

I like Yu well enough!
The worst was going from Schiti's beautiful K-pop Namor to whoever drew that last part of the issue where he blew up that first planet.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Little Mac posted:

Yeah I think Cyclops just teleports himself there. Also why did Manifold teleport Star-Lord onto the ship?

I kind of doubt that since he looked kind of confused when he got there. As to why each person was chosen I'm sure we'll find out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

squidgee posted:

Also, we know Franklin survives per Avengers.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was looking through Avengers for when Franklin was talking about how time works and found something cool on the next page.
(Edit: It's Avengers #32 btw)

Steve in his power suit fighting Tony in what looks like his Superior Iron Man armor, albeit with an actual helmet. This was back in Original Sin, had we really heard anything about SIXIS at that point?

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 6, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Just found out about this today. I stopped reading Marvel back at the end of Secret Invasion, I'm kind of excited to see them doing a total reset. Hoping it will fare better than the new 52 ended up.

It's really not going to be a total reset.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I didn't notice that he had a life raft of his own, and was thinking he did all that just to show everyone there how much better he is than them.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Greg Land drawing a book without normal people in it is kind of the perfect place for him. Like when he was forced to draw The Watcher in Mighty Avengers it looked fine. Stick him on a book with a bunch of robot people or weird aliens.

Even him drawing Spider-Man isn't that bad, it's just when you get human faces or women is when it becomes unbearable.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The X-Men one sounds plausible in comparison but the F4 sounds completely insane. There is like a 0% chance Hickman does that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

What's implausible? Johnny's dated Inhumans before and Ben has gone on roving solo space adventures before.

There is a 0% chance Hickman actually kills Franklin and Valeria. How is that not the thing that stuck out to you?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Nope. If it was just about literally any other writer I might buy it, but I don't see Hickman ending a story like that. Unless he was going to come back and write F4 again I guess.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

I like the way there is 1 issue out, and people are already posting Internet rumours about how it's going to end.

I head Steve Rogers is actually going to be a Summers brother and that's why Falcon hates him.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Now that Steve is an old man he got really racist and joined Hydra. This is also why Falcon hates him.
EDIT: Sorry I forgot my spoiler tags

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

So, I guess this is super premature, but what would the endgame be here? Is the MU getting restarted back on Earth after this whole thing goes down? Is Battleworld going to be the New 52 style status quo for everything? Is Ms. Marvel still alive? I assume her series is continuing?

To tell a big story. Probably not. Probably not. Yes. Yes.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah those are good, don't bother with the Infinity bundle though
https://www.comixology.com/Infinity/comics-series/11126?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz Just buy the single issues
That bundle has all the issues with an Infinity banner on them, and all you need is Avengers, New Avengers and Infinity. You'll get the Avengers and New Avengers issues through the other two bundles.

EDIT: That's really weird how all those links broke, especially for the reading order. I've got that thing bookmarked and that still works.

EDIT EDIT: Also if you are interested in reading the whole series, you aren't going to find it cheaper than the ~$90 you'd spend on those bundles. Unless you read it on MU at least.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 7, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

The only problem I have with Infinite Crisis is that it wasn't a reboot and that's mostly because what they chose to use was poo poo. It was a perfect point to do the Nu52 relaunch but DC editorial was like "NOPE GONNA USE THIS FLASH CROSSOVER! YUM-YUM POOPY TASTES GOOD!"

If they had rebooted then we wouldn't have gotten 52 and you should feel bad for even imagining that reality into existence.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I feel like this should have been Secret Wars #1 and #1 should have been Avengers #45.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Like I kind of understand they they did it because the conclusion to Avengers is (probably) pretty important to what is going to happen in Secret Wars, but god drat I would have been so much more satisfied the other way around. It's something that will read fine in a trade/Omni, but is kind of jarring month to month.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I don't think it's safe to assume anything we haven't been explicitly shown. And even then it's a bit of a toss up.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Wasn't that Valeria referring to Doom as father though? Either it's Reed under the mask or it's not 616 Valeria. That Doom was wearing the outfit he had when he was hanging out with the FF during Hickman's run though right? Along with the other people sitting around his throne. Wasn't he wearing that when he created his own universe?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I mean Hickman has used Doom a lot in his stories but I don't understand why people here get so annoyed with it. It's not like he's presenting Doom as some infallible hero that comes in and saves the day. In FF he served his purpose which was to stall some celestials for a few seconds, and even past that when he was messing around with his own universe, he completely blows it. In Avengers he at first presented as someone who has figured it out and is going to save everything, but then he just fails. We don't know anything about the Doom here or how Battleworld was created yet. We don't know for sure that this exists because of something 616 Doom did.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Jiro posted:

Or if he even could control creating Battleworld. Why the gently caress would you even have a zone specifically for Ultron AIs, Marvel Zombies, and the goddamn Annihilation Wave, when you're whole thing is to remake a world under your complete control. Unless he keeps those around in order to periodically invade and keep everyone else in line which means he keeps in contact with them. Anyone else notice that Susan was back in her Future Foundation uniform as was Doom being in white, when he was made stupid.

His brain was fixed while he was still hanging around with them, and I'm pretty sure this was the costume he was wearing when he created his own universe. Also the costume Sue is wearing is the same as back then, and not what she was wearing when she got on the raft.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot Hickman retconned it so that both Wakanda and Egypt were only civilized because of divine intervention by the same deity.

When did that happen?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Is Triumph & Torment not available digitally anywhere? I feel like maybe Comixology is just rebelling against me. Or am I going to have to track down a TPB someplace?

I'm not sure if it is digital but there was a printing of it a year or two back so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

tenniseveryone posted:

I liked all the set-up of A-Force and Wilson had Miss America down pat...then she got chucked away to be in Gillen's Siege thing at the end :colbert:

I'm sorry are you complaining about Gillen getting to write more America Chavez?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

It's just odd that the first time we see normal 616 characters is in a tie in and not in one of the main books, and not explained at all.

We saw 616 Thanos and his pals in Secret Wars #2

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
America Chavez is cool and you're bad.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

It is actually Himself

Also I love the statue that Strange made for the fallen Thor. I have to imagine he does that every time one dies.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I think you're reading that wrong. Strange is asking because he's surprised someone does, because it means they survived the end of everything just as he did.

It's also why he went to open the liferaft, because until meeting Miles he didn't think anyone else survived. But since he knew what it was, he decided to see who was in it. He didn't open it beforehand because he didn't want to take the risk.

That makes more sense to me now. I fogot that Strange wasn't involved with the raft at all so he had no idea who was in it. I wonder if he did know would he have opened it sooner?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Majuju posted:

It's weird that he gets the Thor to open the one in the Fortress of Sorcitude, though. I just went back and re-read it and it seemed like he couldn't figure it out the first time? Though the dialogue contradicts this.

That said, let's all point and laugh because they designed the Raft without external sensors.

He had the Thor open it because that Thor was the only survivor who saw what the Moloid did to open it. Strange may have not been super willing to just go up to this thing that he knew nothing about to try and open it up. Also in regards to the sensors I got the idea they were suspended in time or something so I don't think they'd have much use for something like that. Not really sure what their plan was though, was the Raft supposed to automatically open when it found a good place?

I would imagine it's the same reason they didn't notice Miles. Very little relative time has passed between them getting in the raft and it arriving on Battleword.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Can someone tell me, a person who's never read Ms. Marvel, what's up with Kamala's powers in Attilan Rising?

First of all, read Ms. Marvel. Basically her power is that she can shapeshift. So she can change what she physically looks like, or she can make her fist huge our her legs super long.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

That's what I thought but it looked like she was jumping between minds and being invisible as well.

Yeah TBH I didn't really know what was going on with the glowing eyes and stuff either.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ugh I want to read this issue but I'm already down the trade waiting path for it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I mean Waid's Daredevil is coming to what seems like is going to be a pretty natural stopping point. I assume he's done just about everything he wanted to with the character.
I just really hope they put out a nice Omni for it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I'm a big dumb idiot who wasn't keeping up with things once Secret Wars really got started. What do I turn to for more Miles Morales action? Does Marvel have a chart or something telling me where to go now that whatever series I was reading has ended?

You're probably going to want to stick with Secret Wars proper to see how Miles ends up.

EDIT: I'm an idiot who didn't see the next page.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Jiro posted:

Who's the guy on the far right wearing pajamas and a sauce pan on his head???

IUG posted:

Ha, Forbush Man even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Nobby posted:

Yeah, I think they might have originally planned to have a Phoenix-powered Teen Jean on the raft with Cyclops playing off her, but decided to just simplify it to a Phoenix-powered Cyclops somewhere along the line.

That doesn't really flow with the only time Cyclops appeared in Hickman's Avengers.

• Locked thread