Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Hakkesshu posted:

Funny that's exactly how I felt after reading this

That's exactly how I've felt about pretty much every other tie-in except for X-Men '92. It's just nice to have a book that's just like "okay we're going, fill in the blanks along the way" as opposed to twenty pages of stage-setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #9 was an absolutely incredible book. Ewing gets every single one of these characters and what they're about. The phone team scene was downright heartbreaking, as was the ending.

I hope they come back after Secret Wars.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can someone tell me, a person who's never read Ms. Marvel, what's up with Kamala's powers in Attilan Rising?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Can someone tell me, a person who's never read Ms. Marvel, what's up with Kamala's powers in Attilan Rising?

First of all, read Ms. Marvel. Basically her power is that she can shapeshift. So she can change what she physically looks like, or she can make her fist huge our her legs super long.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

First of all, read Ms. Marvel. Basically her power is that she can shapeshift. So she can change what she physically looks like, or she can make her fist huge our her legs super long.

That's what I thought but it looked like she was jumping between minds and being invisible as well.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majuju posted:

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps is totally awesome, buy this book.

Also play Danger Zone while reading.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

That's what I thought but it looked like she was jumping between minds and being invisible as well.

Yeah TBH I didn't really know what was going on with the glowing eyes and stuff either.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Little Mac posted:

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #9 was an absolutely incredible book. Ewing gets every single one of these characters and what they're about. The phone team scene was downright heartbreaking, as was the ending.

Yeah, it's one of those things that could have been hokey as poo poo...but it wasn't. It's was just perfect. I mean integrating the reader in like that in a non Deadpool manner is not an easy thing to do. It really summed up how you can still be a hero and selfless even in impossible situations that can't be won.

I agree about the phone bank scene, it was gut wrenching...but also incredibly rewarding in seeing how anyone can help someone, even without powers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm hoping that the conversation at the start of the issue and the upcoming Netflix series mean that Ewing will get to write a Defenders book towards the end of the year.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

zoux posted:

She had powers similar to Reed Richards before, maybe she's now taking Sue's too :v:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Little Mac posted:

If my boys weren't here I'd probably cry.

The Ms Marvel thing might be a tease of what Kamala can really do when she learns the full extent of her powers. Haven't read it yet.

Weird World was part Conan, Kamandi, and Dungeons and Dragons. loving wonderful stuff.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Little Mac posted:

Yeah, it was the only tie-in book this week I felt had impact to it, ironically. So Captain America and the Mighty Avengers was best of this crossover week, I felt.

Weirdworld was also pretty good, but a good chunk of that is the art. I'd rather have a version minus the words, because they're in the way of the art and they mostly just tell you what's going on in the art. Which, you know, you can already see.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 10, 2015

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Codependent Poster posted:

Nothing about that book looks appealing. Why is it awesome?

Can someone do the same, but for Old Man Logan please

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Little Mac posted:

I wasn't too impressed with the stuff that came out today that I've read, I'm mostly just bored with the world building at this point so I don't know how much of that is actually on the comics (Mrs. Deadpool, Ghost Racers, and Marvel Zombies were still pretty alright overall), but this was amazing. The ending really should have felt ham-fisted and trying to hard, but it didn't. Really amazing work from Ewing, and I didn't even especially love the Mighty Avengers run up to this point. It was good enough I kept picking it up but I was pretty indifferent on it, but this final issue really cemented it as a great run.

The farewell from Ewing at the end and Blue Marvel's machine thing that's been being built up makes me think he might have managed to life raft himself somehow, or maybe it's just that the Captain Britain analogues will be spiritual successors to the Mighty Avengers for the duration of Secret Wars.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ugh I want to read this issue but I'm already down the trade waiting path for it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Blue Marvel ignoring that last tearful phone call because he was in full-on Superman "must find a way to save everyone" mode was both perfectly in keeping with him and terribly sad. Also loved the scene with Kaluu and Wong chilling out in the Sanctum but yeah, the whole thing was just beautiful.

One of the best issues of anything Marvel's put out in a long time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"So. You want to live happily ever after?"

God. drat.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Havoc904 posted:

Too bad RTS games aren't much of a thing anymore, I would love to have one based off of Battleworld. Being able to pick a unit based on Doom's Thor team or the Wasteland Ultrons/Zombies and then trying to conquer the map would be really fun.

Man that sounds awesome.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, just read Spider Gwen and what is this about it being the final issue? As in, bullshit to get people to read dumb tie ins or is it confirmed to actually not be coming back? 'Cause I was pretty sure I heard they weren't touching Spider Gwen, but here I am wondering why they apparently canceled a new comic I was enjoying.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It's taking a hiatus and it'll be back after Secret Wars with a new #1. Same as everything else. So yes, they're just trying to get you to buy SW and the tie ins.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

tenniseveryone posted:

Can someone do the same, but for Old Man Logan please

Do you know anything about good dialogue, pacing, plot, action, or art? OML had it all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, just read Spider Gwen and what is this about it being the final issue? As in, bullshit to get people to read dumb tie ins or is it confirmed to actually not be coming back? 'Cause I was pretty sure I heard they weren't touching Spider Gwen, but here I am wondering why they apparently canceled a new comic I was enjoying.

It's done until after Secret Wars.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay been through SW Journal, Ghost Racers and Weirdworld so far. All pretty drat good with Weirdworld being the outstanding one of the lot. Still a few more to go through when I get off work. :v:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dunbar posted:

It's taking a hiatus and it'll be back after Secret Wars with a new #1. Same as everything else. So yes, they're just trying to get you to buy SW and the tie ins.

Phew, all good then. Let them ruin the main line as much as they want -- after three years of Bendis and Slott I really don't give a poo poo anymore, but the outstkirt titles? The Ms Marvels, the Spider Gwens, the Daredevils? Don't loving ruin them. That's the one last thing I ask.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I have yet to see what everyone sees in Mighty Avengers, it was hokey, the whole series was hokey with a boring superman insert, the book would have been better served replacing him Isaiah Bradley with the side effect temporarily hand waved who is actually a good character with more emotional punch and who fits the street level and the heroes in over their heads theme they were going for.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Saoshyant posted:

Phew, all good then. Let them ruin the main line as much as they want -- after three years of Bendis and Slott I really don't give a poo poo anymore, but the outstkirt titles? The Ms Marvels, the Spider Gwens, the Daredevils? Don't loving ruin them. That's the one last thing I ask.

Daredevil is wearing the Shadowland costume on the promo image which is concerning. Plus it'll be a new creative team now that Waid is on Avengers

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ugh! Of course... At least Waid's run was huge, so at least it wasn't killed early on for no good reason.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dacap posted:

Daredevil is wearing the Shadowland costume on the promo image which is concerning. Plus it'll be a new creative team now that Waid is on Avengers

It's more like a mix of his two Netflix costumes I think.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I mean Waid's Daredevil is coming to what seems like is going to be a pretty natural stopping point. I assume he's done just about everything he wanted to with the character.
I just really hope they put out a nice Omni for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "Hell's Kitchen" story from Secret Wars Journal was pretty brutal and has more of Bar Sinister for those who wanted that.

zoux posted:

Seeing Anthony Stark of the Gearsphere Starks made me wonder: Have we seen any characters interact with their counterparts from other realms yet? (Ultimate End/Planet Hulk ones are still interacting with in-realm counterparts) How does that fit into their worldviews?

It seems like the duplicate thing is only known to those higher up in the power structure.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"So. You want to live happily ever after?"

God. drat.

There. Right loving there is where I started losing it. The last pages I was bawling. It's been forever since I read something like that, that hits me that hard and feels that genuine. I really hope they let Ewing have a turn in guiding around the 616 like they let Hickman if we can get an ending like this.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
Only read Inhumans and Weirdworld. Both were good, but Weirdworld was really awesome, I highly recommend it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The "Hell's Kitchen" story from Secret Wars Journal was pretty brutal and has more of Bar Sinister for those who wanted that.

I wanted more magnificent rear end in a top hat Sinister, not sadistic rear end in a top hat Sinister! :stonk:

I really enjoyed Witch Hunter even though they pulled a bait and switch with the art. :mad: I could have thought the writing was stupid and awful or stupid and cheesy and went with the latter and its a blast that way as she basically murders her way through the book.

MODOK, Weird World, Ghost Riders, Angela and Journal, I'm really enjoying the books where they just embrace the full scale idiocy of the setting. :allears:

The ones that fall flat to me are the ones that try go for dramatic massive stakes. Well, I suppose I did enjoy Planet Hulk because look, Cap and Devil Dinosaur, and Zombies, because BLOODSTONE.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 11, 2015

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Weirdworld was outstanding.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it's amazing.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ghost Racers was my favorite this week. I will never not love Wacky Racers with X. Weirdworld is amazing. The Bar Sinister story was brutal as someone else already said. I still have a couple more book to pick up because I didn't have enough cash on me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So loving Brutal. Yet at the same time Collectra and Chef-Devil, the Cook without Peer are amazing. :allears:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Uh, excuse me that's Flare Devil because his dishes have flare to them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

loving morbid. Both stories felt like something out of 2000 AD or Heavy Metal.

Still not sure what's going on with Ultimate End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Misty and Paladin one was hilarious though.

• Locked thread