Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, this is literally the first universe reset Marvel has ever done and they've been building up to it for quite a while.

Also isn't the DC a reboot so they can pay less attention to continuity? Like I don't mean that in a smart rear end way, didn't they actually say that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadpool posted:

Except it's not almost definitely not even going to be a reset. That's the point I think people keep missing. I mean they definitely want you to think it is. But it won't be. The fact that there are several titles that won't even tie in and other comments that Alonso has made about them not needing to fix or abandon their continuity. It's just going to be a fun giant crossover with a bunch of really weird alternate universe tie-ins. Which honestly I think is a bigger draw for me than the main series itself. I'm going to waste so much money on tie-ins here. It's like they created an event that caters directly to me as I love wacky alternate universe stories.

That said is there any way to salvage Old Man Logan?

Everything else sounds so goddamn fun though.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 6, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Your first heart attack ain't better cuz your uncle's had 6.

Assume Marvel took Bayer during it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll probably give everything at least a once issue chance, but that's because I usually get all my comics from a code seller for $2 each (even stuff like Deadpool 250) so ymmv.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PelvicNerve posted:

drat, you sold me on it.
Refreshing my mailbox frantically for that comixology subscription notice to show up hours early.

Why Marvel, why can't you release at midnight?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chami posted:

Jesus Christ, I need the rest of this yesterday.

I guess that the in-universe explanation for the end of the F4. Ultimate Reed vs. 616 Reed who's just lost his entire family is going to be good! :smith:

Don't forget Doom, arguably, had a piece of that rage, at least w/r/t Valeria in theory.

Can we stop doing the spoiler code now? It's a pita on mobile

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

head58 posted:

Also Namor on account of dat sweet blonde rear end.

But honestly, Franklin was in there and if you think a little thing like being ripped apart by cosmic forces outside all space and time would even slow him down you didn't look at who was writing this book.

Yeah I was thinking about Namor too, but he is kind of a weird broken man and I feel like him and Black Panther are the ones destined for a big and (intentionally) pointless massive death battle because at this point they are pretty much those two dudes from that Star Trek who are the last of their races or countries or whatever.

I also agree based on Franklin being on board that they're going to be fine. I mean we already know what a Reed without a family is like...well it varies but being a sociopath is a common occurrence...although he did have Nathaniel so it's an odd variable. If anything it makes this Reed now truly unique...I'm predicting a Doom Reed team up on U. Reed as 616 Reed may be more disposed to vengeance now (no idea why just family variables do tend to affect Reed a lot).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Little Mac posted:

What to make of Cyclops and Thanos having matching dialogue and, in the end, speech bubbles?

Can someone explain when Scott got his PhD and also what the deal with the Phoenix Egg?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vegeta dentata posted:

Everyone not on the boats died but will come back at a certain point in the story, likely through Doom or Phoenix.

:gaz:
Doom Toot to resurrect.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Question IRL posted:

My favourite part of the issue was seeing all the super secret email addresses of all the villains.

That was golden.

I was kind of hoping for someone to still have an AOL address.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 7, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirDan3k posted:

All we really know is that under it all will be commentary regarding DC's faultless religious savior figure has been unable to save the universe while Marvel's flawed and dangerous embodiment of scientific progress can.

drat straight.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogaleeboo posted:

Doom is magic, he doesn't count as scientific.

Isn't he both?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadpool posted:

I found this on Twitter, it's the entire Hickman Avengers run in the same layout as his Infinity read order graphic.

That's pretty goddamn awesome. Though it could use some arrows, infinity was kind of confusing since I never knew what correct path was.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 8, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to post a different opinion on Cataclysm. I liked it along with the whole Ultimates run with Hickman and Filakov. I will say Hickman's stuff is most certainly better, it actually kickstarted my move in Marvel superhero comics after reading only Ennis depressed the poo poo out of me* , but the rest of the stuff is all good and enjoyable too. The goddamn similar titles for Cataclysm was a pain in the rear end to piece together initially. I'll be honest I never read anything beyond Millars infuriatingly and yet at times good Ultimate Avengers stuff.

*Crossed was what did it. After that I just needed something less loving bleak as poo poo (Fall of Cuthulu, not Ennis but depressing too) and the Cap Returns issue just brought me right in.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Codependent Poster posted:

Boy, the Ultimate universe kind of sucked with the grim and gritty poo poo.

Mark Millar.txt

Ask about his version of the Wasp!

Annoying thing is I do like the stories and stuff in them overall, so I can't just say don't read them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

Loeb did a far worse job than Millar did. Ask about his version of the Wasp.

Still Commando no matter how marginal or now existent his contribution was.

I'm also more willing to give Loeb a break due to him having to deal with really horrible poo poo around that time period. I mean it might be awful, but I'm willing to give it a pass. Also Agents of SMASH is fun.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Timeless Appeal posted:

Millar had Wasp naked and cowering while being attacked by her abusive partner who she considered returning to dating after she found Captain America boring.

It's all awful apples and awful oranges.
Actually I had forgotten that, I meant Petrya from Ultimate Avengers you know with Caps Son.

Len posted:

Grief is a helluva thing but Ultimatum came out four years after Sam passed away and even then he disregarded drat near everything that happened before he started writing stuff in the Ultimate universe. Ultimate Blob was not an acne covered grotesque cannibal until he got ahold of him. Pyro was an xmen until SUPRISE he's evil now for some reason whatever.

Then Magneto master of goddamn magnetism gets his arm cut off by a metal sword.

Yeah, I'm not saying it was quality writing just that I give him a pass on it vs say Millar.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fatherboxx posted:

Avengers working as special forces under SHIELD, Hawkeye and Black Widow as the founding members.

Also the name of Shield Headquarters. Name of the alien enemies. There are a few other small things too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

Kitty Pryde punching Galactus in the face will never not sound awesome.

Oh and it was...the asking for samples scene earlier was funny too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has the specific digital date for X Men 92 in May been announced yet?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So anyone want to make some picks on what changes or people brought back to life we'll get out of Secret Wars?

I have to thing there is some chance of Wolverine and Xavier coming back.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's the only kind of retcon he does. Comixology needs to bump up its release schedule from 9am EST to like 6am. Wednesday mornings waiting for comics is bullshit.

It's a Marvel thing. DC does it at Midnight. Trust me I know the pain this used to really suck when I had a long commute and no wifi access and 4G was a small rear end phone screen.

More relevant to the topic at hand.

FOR THE EMPEROR!!!!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

Aaaaaaaa what the gently caress is going on aaaaaaa!

I love that it's a bizarre mix of GoT influences and Warhammer 40K.

:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

I love that Doom rolls with a Galactus on his front lawn.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PupsOfWar posted:

Maybe marvel can be prompted to release some kind of guidebook/sourcebook, the way morrison did for Multiversity and hickman kinda tried to do for East of West.

I'd buy the poo poo out of that RPG source book.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadpool posted:

There is a handbook coming out next month I think. Or the next month.

Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but where did you hear that?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

- A lot of poo poo happens but the short version of it is that Reed basically keeps too many secrets including the fact that someone Valeria meets along the way dies and he doesn't tell her. Valeria gets mad at this and ultimately decides that she needs time apart from the family so she goes to live with uncle Doom.
I was wondering what the exact reason for that was. I have all of Fractions run, I've just never had the time to read through all of it and his FF.

She's been there since guiding Doom to fix the world. If the people love you, they won't mind you taking over the world. They fight Loki, have ice cream, and are generally an awesome pair.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

She builds Val-bots :3:
Which issue was that?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

Theres like 40 books.

That's why you buy each for $1.99 from a reliable key seller each week...especially when that's a flat fee (saving 8 bucks on Deadpool 250 was nice and so was paying 4 for both issues of Secret Wars).

Of course of you want the floppies you're kind of hosed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diggie posted:

Oh, gotcha.

Yep, I found one who I was buying off of from eBay and just set up a relationship where I just pick the titles I want and pay $1.99 for each and pay via PayPal. I think the guy has around 5 or 6 other customers.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

Here it is him saying it best

I just wanted to say how much I love that panel, both the wording and the art. I think in part because it reminds me of a character panel in an old adventure game.

Fabulous issue though, loved all of it. Hell I actually bought it in a store along with the tie ins as I missed getting my list to my key guy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadpool posted:

Not Count Duckula was in a Marvel Comic in the year 2015. Secret Wars is officially the best crossover.

:lol: Which book?

God I love that comics (SW stuff) are awesome again.

I hope the Lil AvX has the light tone of the first book. I think my daughter might enjoy it too.

Kind of pissed I didn't get OML or Modok from last week's queue (along with anything else due to family medical emergency), but I'll just get that and the others tonight.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elucidarius posted:

It is pretty light, cheesy and cute. The story made me laugh because the parallels are so obvious (unless you're a kid).

I dunno if it's a spoiler but to be safe: The story ends with Avengers and X-Men competing to get the new neighbors to join their group (Wanda and Pietro).

Cool I just finished it and it has the same light tone. It was cute and funny. Wish awful app would stop displaying spoilers as merely translucent though.

Skimming the Previews while I'm at work and man THORS is going to rule.

Only down side is now I just want to buy floppies and not just digital ones....my poor wallet. Oh well I figure I'll do digital only for the titles I'm reading but don't care if it was I digital or not.

Has anyone besides Bleeding Cool confirmed the SW delays?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:smith:

Well Punisher got moved up a week. :v:

I wonder what the hell happened? Still it does seem like the prudent thing to do.

Only delays the massacre of discretionary income for a little longer.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually liked Years of Future Past a lot, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that one. I enjoyed the world and it's expansion on the ideas and themes present in the original Days of Future Past.

Little AvX was fun, with the cavet that you enjoy the setting and concept, and the art is rather enjoyable too.

Battleworld was a okay, not great, but perfectly serviceable. I liked the last part of the Blade/HtD story.

I didn't realize X Tinction Agenda was also a tie in.

Oh is it me or does incarnations of the Punisher really seem to be a force for Law Enforcement (even with the Thors) on Battleworld (even pops up in the Civil War preview.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elucidarius posted:

I mean, I guess in the grand scheme of Battleworld I didn't see how it fit. Why couldn't these people just ask Doom to move them to a new kingdom? I'll probably buy #2 but I just felt like it would make more sense on its own not tied into anything.

I don't really think there is a way for the non nobles to petition Doom for redress, and as mentioned a few times, travel between kingdoms is rather hard (unauthorized travel even gets the attention of Strange). And like any oppressed people what's to make you think that any other kingdom wants them?

Related to that how big are kingdoms? I swear a couple of them seem like they're the size of the all US or even the whole earth? I mean I'm sure there is a sliding scale or loose rules for story purposes, but they all seem huge compared to an incursion point.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 3, 2015

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Infinity Gauntlet was really drat good in both the story and art department.

Inferno was okay, felt like a bit of a slog and poorly paced, though I'm find with the story overall. I thought the Scott as Xavier art was neat.

The Inhuman tie in was good too.

X Men 92 was awesome if you read it in the voices of the cartoon characters.

I still have a couple of others from the week and last week to finish, but man most of the tie ins are pretty good and not making things easy for my wallet in the future.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just looked at the July 1st tie in costs. Around $70. :smith:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

Just cut it down to the ones you're interested in.

Well truthfully that's the floppy copies. I normally buy mine for a flat $1.99 from my code guy. So as a rule it's a lot cheaper. Problem is after buying floppies for the first time in bulk for a long time, well I kind of enjoyed it (granted space puts a kibosh on it anyway, but I may get Secret Wars and one or two other books as floppies). My concern is more that I won't want to drop anything* plus you got Lando and Darth dropping on the same day.

*Maybe 3 titles at best looking at the list I might drop.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep its Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment you guys are talking about.

Which for some reason Marvel doesn't sell as a digital version! :argh:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

When it doubt assume a doombot

Or :gaz:

Got to say with the exception of the O Face, I'm just in love with art. I legit bought the first issue in print today. Trying to get issue 2....was not as easy.

Anecdotal, but I had to go to two shops to find an issue one. One place (large) store was sold out of both and waiting for second printings, other was sold out of two and only had Doom/Sue for 3 left (and which I kind of wish I got...but 12.99* ). It seems to be selling very (at least according to the two owners I talked too.

*I'd buy a poster of it in a heartbeat as I just want the art.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TNG posted:

For all those Retcon Doombot scenes, I'd like one of a Doombot accusing the real Dr. Doom of something egregious and terrible and then trying to self destruct him.

I'm be kind of shocked if that hadn't happened at some point

• Locked thread