Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Everything dies.

Including the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Marvel Universe. Despite attempts by the Illuminati to prevent it, the multiverse is no more. Various individuals and factions in the multiverse tried their best to stop the end of all there is. Throughout Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers series, we're shown a series of incursions between the Marvel Universe and the infinite parallel universes, with the two connected universes being destroyed if nothing is done.

They failed.

This is the fictional story of 40-something alternate Earths picked to live in a Battleworld and have their lives drawn to find out what happens when heroes stop being polite and start getting real. Secret Wars.

Key players:

The Illuminati: Originally a small group of some of the Marvel Universe's most influential characters working behind the scenes to save Earth and the Universe from whatever threats they feel necessary. For a brief period they held the Infinity Gems, which have since been destroyed. The group has expanded and changed some since it was originally created years ago, but the core group of Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and Doctor Strange has stayed largely constant. Throughout the most recent New Avengers series, they worked to stop the series of incursions between their world and other universes. This led to a number of less-than-heroic actions to save their own planet.

The Avengers: The latest version was started by Iron Man and Captain America as a machine to deal with threats greater than any of them could handle solo. It was actually created to distract Cap from the work of the Illuminati. Needless to say, he wasn't happy when he found out.

SHIELD Avengers: At some point in the months after Cap and Iron Man split, SHIELD puts together their own team consisting of some of the Avengers Machine, and some other characters from the Marvel Universe. They're largely depicted hunting down the Illuminati.

The Cabal: More or less the evil counterparts to the Illuminati, consisting of Thanos, Namor, Maximus, and some other various characters. They spend their time destroying incursion Earths without any remorse.

The Ultimates: The Avengers of the Ultimate Universe, SHIELD sponsored.

Ultimate Reed Richards: Like our Reed Richards, but without the moral compass. He did for his world what the Cabal did for ours, eventually allying with them in the final incursion.

Dr. Doom: Throughout the whole Avengers/New Avengers story, we're told hints here and there about Rabam Alal, the Great Destroyer. His identity is shrouded in mystery until the very end when it's revealed that Dr. Doom traveled back in time after being warned that he can't win, but he can keep from losing.

Key Reading (most recent volumes):

Avengers #1-44
Avengers Annual #1
New Avengers #1-33
Infinity #1-6

Here is the complete reading list in order, courtesy of Redbackground.

Okay, so what is this actually all about?

Secret Wars is an 8-issue event miniseries starting in May 2015 spinning off the multi-year Avengers run by Jonathan Hickman and starting with the Ultimates invading the Marvel Universe. As part of this, Marvel is canceling nearly their entire line and replacing it with a number of miniseries and one-shot tie-ins. Abraham Lincoln put together a complete (as of July solicitations) listing here with the book they are replacing in the publishing schedule, where applicable.

What do I actually have to read for this story?

We won't really know until it's all over, but realistically, only the main miniseries will be essential. From there, check out anything that interests you based on the story or the creative team.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Sugarman, Dark Beast and Holocaust made the jump ages ago. Blink, too.

So yes??
Also X-Man then and Nightcrawler years later.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Abraham Lincoln posted:

I've updated my list of all the Secret Wars series. I added in new series announced for July, added creative teams, and re-jiggered the layout.

If you're trying to decide which books to pick-up, I hope you find it helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B7dL9vj-wYwg1zR9CBKWecD5jiTIrWGLuZp1fELLF1g/edit?usp=sharing
Awesome. Updated the OP. I like that you included creative teams now.

As for what I'm interested in...

Hail Hydra**
Ghost Racers**
1602: Witch Hunter Angela*
Korvac Saga
Ultimate End
Infinity Gauntlet
Secret Wars 2099**
Thors*
Loki: Agent of Asgard*
Giant Size Little Marvel: AVX
Runaways**
Weirdworld
E is for Extinction
A-Force
Future Imperfect**
Years of Future Past
X-Men '92
Siege**
Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders
Where Monsters Dwell
Secret Wars
Howard the Duck*
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl*
Daredevil*

*Stuff I'm either currently reading or replacing something I'm currently reading.

**Stuff I'll probably skip if a week is looking particularly heavy. I'm going to try to stick to 4-5 new books a week, which already seems like a lot of added money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress. gently caress.

#2-8 cannot come out soon enough!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is a discussion thread. Spoilers are not required for Secret Wars talk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gfanikf posted:

Can someone explain when Scott got his PhD and also what the deal with the Phoenix Egg?
If you're referring to him being called "professor," the need for a PhD is determined by the institution offering the position, and there's plenty of cases of individuals without PhDs (or equivalent) becoming professors, though it isn't common. When you're the head of your institution like Scott (and it's not like Nation X/The Xavier School is accredited), you don't really need to have any written requirements.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deadpool posted:

As for Miles the speculation is that he'll be called Spidey instead of Spider-Man now that he's going to be in the 616 universe.
This better get me a Spidey Super Stories book.

EDIT:

Senor Candle posted:

It's really not going to be a total reset.
Yeah, I'm *really* surprised how many people are buying into the hype this time around.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

We also need The Wall to be brought over!

Brother

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The status quo title practically writes itself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And so I go to Secret Wars, where you have a bunch of people fighting through a variety of panels, but most of it matters dick-all before the struggle between the Beyonders and Doom. Sure, Ultimate Iron Man flirts with Penultimate Captain Marvel and you have all sorts of bits where helicarriers explode and everybody's struggling but- hey, guess what? It doesn't matter. It's a lot of narrative white noise, trying to build up the stakes with a forced, artificial conflict. I mean, if the universe is exploding, why does the battle between the two universes matter? I mean, isn't it like children fighting over a toy while a train bears down on their tiny bodies? I'm sure Hickman has built up some spinning gear that adds a justification for it all, but it mostly just strikes me as "it's important because explosions, everyone!"
The point of the battle was outright stated by U-Reed: as a distraction to buy him time to finish send off his version of the life raft. You're absolutely right that it didn't matter. It wasn't supposed to.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tenniseveryone posted:

Surely Secret Wars isn't nihilistic, since at the other end we know there's going to be some sort of universe. It doesn't all end. So, presumably, the heroes will triumph in some manner...?
No, Marvel said that everything changes and nothing will be the same! They're doomed! DOOMED!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

One thing that bothers me, though: why do they keep referring to the Marvel Universe in the memorial as starting in 1961? They just last year had a 75-year anniversary celebrating Marvel Comics #1, where the first Human Torch showed up-not to mention Cap showed up 20 years before FF#1. Did that get erased from Marvel canon when I wasn't looking?
Fantastic Four #1 is the start of the Marvel Universe as we know it. Some of the characters existed prior, but the reality is that they were folded into the Marvel U after the fact.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Boy, the Ultimate universe kind of sucked with the grim and gritty poo poo.
That's what happens when you keep asking uncreative people "What should do to differentiate this from the regular universe?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blind Marvin posted:

How far back would you recommend someone begin, surely not Dark Reign!?

Hahahaha YES.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait why do people keep saying the Braddocks are the Ultimate versions?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Isn't the 616 version of Jamie an insane reality warper and the Ultimate Version just Captain Britain Mk. 2?
Yes, except that the Braddocks in the issue live in New Avalon, not Ultimate Manhattan. Other than character design there's nothing to suggest they're the Ultimate versions and not just a family who happen to have the same costumes. In a series very specifically about the remnants of the multiverse, I'm not inclined to believe anyone is someone from one of the main two universes unless it's specifically noted in the comic or by Hickman.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OR you can just jump right in and see how it goes! I vote for that!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I would be surprised if they don't make an appearance. I want to know what happened to Hyperion, Doom attacked the Beyonders at the site of Odinson and Hyperion's last battle and he has a police force of Thors, there's no way that's a coincidence. So where is his army of Hyperions?
There's a brief mention of Hyperion as Baron of Utopolis in #2, but that's all. Considering like half of the Hyperions we've seen over the years are evil, making an army of them is probably not ideal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I find Hickman and Morrison share many of the same writing flaws. It's actually pretty easy to avoid their writing and read good stuff instead, so my life is actually filled with joy.

It's weird that you never express it, then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

While probably not actually a good Dr. Strange story, the Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire Defenders series is fun.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

So many tie-ins, so impatient to find out which are worth buying.
Once you cut out the writers you don't like, there's a lot fewer tie-ins.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A-Force and Ultimate End for me. I want the Planet Hulk backup but not the main part.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Also I really want to read some Devil Dinosaur. Any of those comics worth a look?
Are you seriously asking if a Kirby joint is worth a look?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

People are losing their poo poo about it on 4chan.

Sounds like it was a good choice, then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Cheers, and here's to spending 30 bucks on comics this week. :eng99:
I've got that beat. Ugh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Are there sales figures out yet? If we're anything to go by Alonso is rolling around laughing on a bed of money.
No. Sales figures are a month or so behind actual sales.

Ugh, totaled it all together (Comixology subscriptions are charged as soon as they're available): $53.86 US this week. Fuuuuck. I didn't even get all the SW tie-ins!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You missed Giant Size Little Marvel AvX #1.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Majuju posted:

e: is SWA short-code for Secret Wars stuff in the shipping list?
Yep! Only Secret Wars itself is missing it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Well let's say they relaunch Amazing Spider-Man with a new 1, and the previous issue of the last series was 638. So on the cover you'd have both of those on there.

Like a few years ago, X-Factor had issue 50, then a couple months later they were at issue 200 almost out of the blue because they added up all the previous issues of X-Factor and came to that. So at least you might have seen it coming if it was numbered 52/198.

They did this back in the early 2000s and it didn't really improve anything and there was always arguments over which issues counted towards the number and which didn't, so they stopped doing it. Brevoort addressed it on his Tumblr recently, actually.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Years of Future Past did little for me, though the art was okay.

It does, however, mean that TWO Senators Kelly are Barons of Battleworld sections. Only one rides in a chariot pulled by warwolves, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gfanikf posted:

I don't really think there is a way for the non nobles to petition Doom for redress, and as mentioned a few times, travel between kingdoms is rather hard (unauthorized travel even gets the attention of Strange). And like any oppressed people what's to make you think that any other kingdom wants them?

Related to that how big are kingdoms? I swear a couple of them seem like they're the size of the all US or even the whole earth? I mean I'm sure there is a sliding scale or loose rules for story purposes, but they all seem huge compared to an incursion point.
Chris Sims talked about it on Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men and in he and Chad Bowers' original pitch for X-Men '92, they talked about sending them to all those '90s locales like Genosha and Madripoor and editorial nixed it, explaining that they're not on a whole planet, so I wonder if different editors are using different sized sections.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was going to say the art's surprisingly okay for Land, but then I scrolled down and wondered when Ben got levitation powers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Holy poo poo, that sounds pretty loving wacky, man. Goddamn. Anyone know where I can buy this fuckshitting book??

Your local comic shop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

X-Men '92 is amazing and I really want to print a poster of that first promo image. I was 7 years old and it was my first experience with the Xmen. drat, the memories.
You could just buy the one that came out yesterday.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=X-Men+92+%231+By+Pepe+Larra_1428055

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shawn posted:

Is this in previews, because Midtown wants to charge me 12 dollars shipping on a 9 dollar poster. If it's in previews maybe I can get Hastings to order it for me.
Yes it is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Haha, not quite.

It's Strange from the Rise of the Midnight Sons era. I know nothing else about him but I'm sure someone here has read that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just want to see Doom's reaction when he finds out that not one but TWO Reeds survived.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Havoc904 posted:

Yeah, I guess when your kids have a pet Galactus, having a couple of Thanos running around isn't that big of a problem.

Much like there being no Reeds, I hope there aren't any Namors running around since Doom still feels snubbed about being his second choice after the Cabal blew up in his face.

I really hope we get an ongoing series after this event that fills in everything about Doom and Strange building Battleworld to where it is. They mentioned something like 8 years having passed since Strange initially found the raft with Reed, Starlord & the others, right?
You're half right (and you don't need to spoil that). Battleworld has been around 8 years, though he only found the Raft I think 2 years prior.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The cover art isn't the same as the interior art.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/e-is-for-extinction-1-marvel-comics-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Good Kordey (yes, he exists!) or Kordey who has two weeks to draw an entire comic and gets poo poo on for the rest of history?

• Locked thread