Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wonder if Phoenix-Cyclops will be the new status quo after Secret Wars. Keep the young Scott around as Cyclops, and rename the old Scott as Phoenix.

Pretty excited to see him in a major role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

It seems kind of odd to me that Scott Summers was on the lifeboat list, unless that was a last minute audible by Manifold.

Manifold didn't choose, his power is based on need. At that time, his powers were just picking up people who were "needed."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Was that in FCBD Avengers? I haven't read that one yet.

It's in Rage of Ultron.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm also just gonna guess that older Scott is the new Phoenix from here on out, too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SirDan3k posted:

Thanos-copter was not from the 616 universe sadly.

I hope that Thanos takes over Ultimate Reed's lifeboat and turns it into the new Thanoscopter.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Crazy. Are we to assume everyone who wasn't shown getting put on the boats is gone? Or is it expected to see a few pop up randomly?

Everyone is dead.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is it because DC has a worse track record when it comes to event comics or is it just the New 52 malaise just hovering over everything?

It's because this has been something Hickman has been building to for years and is writing alone. Convergence was pretty much editorially mandated and handed off to B to C-list talent as something to publish while DC moved from NY to California.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like all of Bendis' X-stuff, but I think it's pretty clear that something happened during the Xavier's will arc. It lasted much, much too long. Maybe Secret Wars snuck up on him or he had to cut an arc and extend that one. The issues after it ended were quite good, but they were very character focused.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Skeep posted:

why is it called secret wars.
what is secret about the universe exploding?

I'm thinking the main series is going to be mainly about the battle between the survivors (616 Reed's crew against 1610 Reed's crew) with other characters from Battleworld joining in, and an omnipotent player sort of controlling the field. So it's like the original Secret Wars with heroes vs. villains and the Beyonder as the omnipotent being. Though it looks like that person this time will be Doom.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Boy, the Ultimate universe kind of sucked with the grim and gritty poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zooted heh posted:

I just picked up reading marvel when they rolled in marvel now but I got kind of behind. still pretty excited with this event. is anything out besides secret wars 1 that is tied to the event?

Not yet, but nearly the entire line will be publishing Secret Wars tie-in books. The main series is all that you'll need to follow, but the rest of the stuff will expand on it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

cams posted:

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that there are already books released that take place after the results of Secret War.

Is there a list somewhere of which those are?

The only ones released so far have been the All New All Different Avengers free comic and Rage of Ultron OGN.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Give it a month and it will be delayed again. Free Doctor Pepper if it comes out this year.

Aja has said that he's been finished and Marvel has been delaying it for some reason.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Xavier won't come back. Wolverine might.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gatts posted:

The reason I suggest that is because Sues group broke off. The raft that opened had the Ultimate Survivors and this is the first time they've been encountered. I'm assuming that means there's another raft with our heroes too

Sue's group died. The Cabal and the 616 heroes on the lifeboat survived.

I'm thinking that Battleworld is all the universes that Doom hurled at the Beyonders.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

So I take it that I'm the only one who didn't really enjoy Hickman and everyone in his story figuratively and literally slurping at Doom's dick for fifty pages.

You mean a world created by Doom ruled by Doom has people worshipping him as a God?

:vince:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Majuju posted:

I'm choosing to read it less intensely than that, with some sort of 'Battleworld forming scrambled their brains!' thing for everyone who wasn't super-safe (the life rafts, basically). Meaning there'll be a semi-obliterated raft someplace with Phoenixclops and Mr. Fantastic, almost certainly showing up next issue?

The 616 lifeboat contains the heroes for this series, which is everyone Manifold got. They're going to fight the Cabal, who will fight Doom, who will fight the heroes.

It's just like the setup of the original Secret Wars, just on a much higher scale.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The secret area that Doom is talking about with people who want to overthrow him might have the 616 heroes there.

Also, he's probably sitting on the life tree that the Ex Nihilo and Abyss made before they died.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blind Marvin posted:

I want to read Hickman's lead up to all this before I check it out, but considering everyone's talking about Doom, Sue, and Valeria, did this story actually begin with Hickman's Fantastic Four run?

Yes, it did.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So, I was really hoping the second issue would pull me into the crossover, but it really didn't happen. Maybe it was the roughly twenty pages of "Doom mediates a dispute I have zero reason to care about" that didn't help, but for something named Battleworld, it was a relatively sedate issue. Maybe it was all the "let me tell you about the world, as if you did not inhabit it" dialogue. I had a hard time putting my finger on it, but sitting back, I asked myself "Is there a single character in this book whose story would compel me to read more?" After some thought, I settled on "... Jamie Braddock?" with fairly muted enthusiasm. And when Ultimate Jamie Braddock is the only character that interests, there are real issues with the book for me.
with what feels like Ewing's meta-criticism, it has the bitter point of none of it ultimately mattering. Hopefully Ewing will have the space to continue this thread after the crossover closes, but right now it just feels like a vote of protest put before a speeding train.

The protagonists didn't appear in this issue. This was just to set the stage, give some background on Battleworld, and show that the Cabal is loose.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nilbop posted:

Wait, okay, I thought I had a handle on this, but someone break it down for me now - what caused the incursions to start in the first place and who was destroying the earths? Because I assumed it was Doom destroying them and the Beyonders who started the collisions in the first place, right?

I'm so loving lost in this. The Beyonders are just as faceless as The Builders.

The Beyonders created/granted the Molecule Man his powers in every universe. Their intent was to have all versions of him explode at the same time, destroying the multiverse.

Doom learned this, and began killing every version of him throughout the multiverse. This eventually left the multiverse unstable, and the result of that were incursions. It was an unintended consequence of Doom's actions, but bought everyone time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phenotype posted:

And how did Doctor Strange become the head of the Black Priests? That was an insane reveal, but I have no idea where that comes from. There's even dialog in the last few books where he says he can't quite take part in their hive mind. How did he even learn the magic words that can blow up superheroes?
Come to think of it, is there a reason why he didn't have enough of a soul left to purchase godhood from the Bludbook or whatever it was called? Was there a Strange series going on around then?

I believe it was after the Illuminati blew up the world for the Not-Justice League where Strange took the helmet of the mystic there, which was related to the Black Priests. He eventually learned the Black Priests were trying to stop the Incursions and led them, because he's Strange and the Sorcerer Supreme. He just couldn't communicate with their hive mind, but learned what their words were.

He didn't have enough of a soul for lots of reasons, probably even going back to World War Hulk where he used black magic to fight the Hulk. There was also a New Avengers annual which touched on Strange dabbling in dark arts.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shawn posted:

Sorry the super-heroes haven't overthrown the bad guy before the story started... I guess...

It's hilarious because the 616 heroes are going to be the main protagonists and fight Doom, but everyone is so mad that the alternate reality people haven't gone out and done it one week into the tie-ins.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Attilan Rising was really good. For people not into Inhumans, the cast has people not related to them from all over Battleworld. Including 1606 Murdoch.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

What MIllar bullshit are you referring to specifically with respect to OML?

Spider-Bitch, the incest Hulk family.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

NowonSA posted:

Also, in retrospect I'm sad that Amazing Spider-Man's original numbering ended before this event. I liked Superior Spider-Man, for the most part, but it would have been fun to have the number pick right back up, and to have it finally end with the alleged end of the Marvel Universe. It wouldn't really make sense business-wise (new #1 issues are always a business draw), but I think it would have been a fun tribute to Marvel's most famous hero. I dunno, I'm just a big nerd that sees things like issue #600 and thinks "wow, there have been 600 little stories about this guy and I could backtrack all the way through them and it would mostly make sense."

Don't worry, Marvel loves to switch numbering around all the time. So whenever a big issue comes up that would have been like issue 650 or 700 or something, Marvel will put it back to that for a little bit.

I think they should just put something like the current run over the total run, like 18/630 to make it easier to track and have that sense of wow that a large issue run gives.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

redbackground posted:

I'm confused as to when those numbers would be applied? To collected issues? (That information would then be out of date almost immediately.) Do one-shots count? I think it's actually an entirely too complicated effort to do succinctly and accurately over any period of time. But maybe I have completely misunderstood what you mean!

Well let's say they relaunch Amazing Spider-Man with a new 1, and the previous issue of the last series was 638. So on the cover you'd have both of those on there.

Like a few years ago, X-Factor had issue 50, then a couple months later they were at issue 200 almost out of the blue because they added up all the previous issues of X-Factor and came to that. So at least you might have seen it coming if it was numbered 52/198.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Majuju posted:

Also re: origins of Sue, etc. when Strange finds Miles he asks him if he remembers, which I think gives weight to the theory that the inhabitants of Battleworld are their former selves, just with their memories wiped, rather than new constructs from Doom's experiences.

I think you're reading that wrong. Strange is asking because he's surprised someone does, because it means they survived the end of everything just as he did.

It's also why he went to open the liferaft, because until meeting Miles he didn't think anyone else survived. But since he knew what it was, he decided to see who was in it. He didn't open it beforehand because he didn't want to take the risk.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Starsnostars posted:

The Cabal are so bad at noticing stuff, none of them noticed that Miles snuck aboard their ship and only Thanos noticed a gently caress load of Thors flying above them.

Miles can turn invisible!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

Good to know that all these cosmic threats are easily made fools of by Miles Morales and Susan Storm.

To be honest, those two are insanely powerful and probably would be able to mess up most of them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Thing showed up in one of the tie-ins this issue, but I won't spoil it because it was a last page reveal.

I'm also thinking that, as has been said before, the Shield itself is some form of Ben Grimm.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The art in Spider-Verse is terrible though. :(

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Majuju posted:

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps is totally awesome, buy this book.

Nothing about that book looks appealing. Why is it awesome?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Well Gillen was writing the book, if he wanted it to be a romantic relationship I'm sure he would have made it that. He's not one for subtlety in that regard.

I think it's probably as romantic as Angela can be right now. I read it as a romance.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I hope Mighty Avengers comes back after Secret Wars, but it's kinda fitting to end there since it started as an Infinity spin-off.

I'm pretty sure it'll come back as Defenders, or just keep the titling from its Secret Wars book. They were all saying how Avengers didn't fit them anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Looks like Lou Ferrigno Hulk brought along TV movie Daredevil, too! Or that's the MCU one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

That doesn't really flow with the only time Cyclops appeared in Hickman's Avengers.

They probably only gave Ross a list of characters to include on the cover. Then it was probably Phoenix Cyclops and Ross thought it was both. Then for later covers the design probably wasn't ready so he just drew regular Cyclops.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

I think the question people are asking is less "is that 616 Odinson" and more "that's 616 Odinson, DO YOU THINK HE MIGHT HAVE SOMEHOW SURVIVED EVERYTHING AND REMEMBERS STUFF AND THIS WILL BE A BIG REVEAL?"

It's a silly question. The only survivors who remember anything are Doom, Strange, and the people on the lifeboats. Hickman has made that pretty clear.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Well, 616 Odinson did died before the final incursion, so there may be something funky with him. Actually, we never actually saw him and Hyperion die, they were just gone, so who knows?

They're dead. The Beyonders killed them. Doom and Strange show up at that same place later.

I'm not sure what Nutopia is. It might be the Morrison X-Men location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think also that not everyone knows they're in their own realm in Battleworld, too. Or they don't know what else is out there.

• Locked thread