Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Randarkman posted:

okay tumblr sucks and joss whedon is bad and they should probably stop making comic book movies

gently caress china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DicktheCat posted:

Don't see why Whedon got tumblr-bombed.

Because it's not how I thought she was the last few years in my masturbation fantasies.
Triggered so much in rage that I nearly broke my wanking wand, the only way I can reach down there nowadays.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

This picture is about 10 years old. Every single Marvel character in this picture was an Avenger at some point:

There have been even more Avengers since.

i like the mass of archers in the middle

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
frog thor best thor

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I'm glad they left his stupid hat out of the movies.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Hobohemian posted:

I'm glad they left his stupid hat out of the movies.

I guess Chris... wasn't Helmsworthy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I love that Hemsworth and Dinklage both looked at their most famous blond characters and decided to affect terrible accents that clearly hamstring their performances. Also props to Hemsworth for having the balls to commit to a role like Thor that even 10 years ago would have been seen as career suicide.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Moola posted:

is there a link to a video of this?

Really like the animation style

It's from the Fleischer superman cartoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DadH3KjHZws

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

This is best superman

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Moola posted:

This is best superman

It's good but thematically shallow even by superhero standards. People get easily swayed by the god-tier animation that still looks ace like 75 years later.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
stfu

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

bonestructure posted:

frog thor best thor

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y'know I really really am for better treatment of ladies in these movies but the Bechdel test isn't some ironclad rule or anything. Terminator 2 and I believe Aliens both fail it, while Debbie Does Dallas passes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I adore Beta Ray Bill, but Throg really is better.

Pet Avengers movie plzkthx:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Y'know I really really am for better treatment of ladies in these movies but the Bechdel test isn't some ironclad rule or anything. Terminator 2 and I believe Aliens both fail it, while Debbie Does Dallas passes.

Linda Hamilton talks to that little girl for like half the movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Linda Hamilton talks to that little girl for like half the movie.

Aside from the too-perfect-to-be-an-error mix-up about the lead actresses I thought the Bechdel test had to be two women specifically. Either way isn't it also somehow patriarchal that the entire arc for Weaver involves maternal feelings? Same for Hamilton in T2.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ripley talks to Vasquez in Aliens.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

mind the walrus posted:

The "Bechdel test" was literally invented regarding the first Alien movie, by artist Alison Bechdel's 1985 comic strip where she mentioned it.

But yes using it as an ironclad rule is a dumb way to look at it

Regarding Black Widow, I think she's pretty cool

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok then Aliens passes bully for Aliens. My point still stands.

naem
May 29, 2011

Aren't dramas and chick flicks two categories all about female characters? And then action movies are mostly for guys to pretend about punching?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Alien or Aliens?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Isn't there supposed to be some sort of shaming for a thing to be slut-shaming? Like, just saying that someone is a slut means that they sleep around for kicks.
Don't you have to also say that a woman sleeping around for kicks is bad, or is that just something that everyone already knows?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Slut and whore both have negative connotations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mind the walrus posted:

I think American Sniper passes it. Or maybe it was 7 fast 7 furious. Some dumb movie like that passed lol

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
pugvengers need no womens

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

Slut and whore both have negative connotations.

which is too bad because slut is such a fun word

slut

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

This is not how I remember those cartoons looking. Pretty cool.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Thinking about it, is Guardians of the Galaxy the only MCU movie that passes the Bechdel test?

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

why is the one on the left surrounded by red fart clouds

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Necros posted:

thats menstrual blood

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Necros posted:

That's her superpowers.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Super menstruation. Very feminist. That's Joss Whedon for you.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

You're right for reasons totally unrelated to this, but I've got to admit that's a nice name/avatar combo with your post.

I don't even think it was the "feminist boogeyman" as much as it was Whedon having to hear an encylopedia's worth of criticism every single time he logs onto Twitter. Yeah it's like the "pussy" thing to do but it ain't unreasonable to be like "ok gently caress this noise I need some quiet."

Joss needs total silence when writing lovely quips and short barefoot female characters

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
wanna see black widow smuggle that vibranium

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Joss needs total silence when writing lovely quips and short barefoot female characters

If you take the time to create anything you should probably kill yourself hth

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

I think American Sniper passes it. Or maybe it was 7 fast 7 furious. Some dumb movie like that passed lol

Fast films actually have lots of female main characters who talk a lot and often fight each other while talking

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The only shaming should be all of you for watching garbage and reading comics books

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

echronorian posted:

The only shaming should be all of you for watching garbage and reading comics books

gently caress off m8 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the rote repetition of 'this is for gay children' becomes sad when films on that premise get insane attendance.

i say this even though i don't like whedon films.

• Locked thread