Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As someone that had grilled steak for years, tbh steak is best made in a broiling hot cast iron pan or salamander

The alton brown charcoal chimney method is also pro

3 minutes a side. 4-5 if you have something 2" or more thick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VendaGoat posted:

:cripes:

Oh good god.

I don't make mashed potatoes because I don't have one of those kitchen made mixer jobs. Those friggen make some creamy potatoes.

Instead I make baked Sweet Potatoes or Yams with butter and cinnamon. Never had a complaint.

An electric hand beater will get you pretty close

If you think kitchenaid mixers are cool check out the ones bosch makes

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorman Thomas posted:

pan steak is only good if you have a stove that can get cast iron up to like 550

it would be nice if ovens would come with a non lovely salamander

I have tried to find whatever old episode of Good Eats that shows how to use a charcoal chimney to sear a steak like a cheap salamander. Since I can't find it here's what you need to do:

get 2-4 mason bricks and lay a grill grate on top of them

Get an extra-large diameter charcoal chimney starter, you will need the extra diameter to cook real steaks

Get real lump charcoal and fill that whole thing up. Light it up while on the grill grate and let it burn 5-10 minutes until it's glowing hot. Real lump charcoal burns hotter

Give it a good shake to get rid of any ash from the smaller pieces. You don't want that ash poo poo falling on your steak

Put the steak inside of the bottom of the charcoal chimney, even thought the steak is under all of the coals they are so loving hot it's like a salamander

2-3 minutes per side

Best ribeye ever

• Locked thread