Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
"I can't help but view all those pretentious historical quotes in the OP through the lens of our own historical disdain for people that overused quotes from people in history." - Sun Tzu

But yes, come play eve with us. As a goon you are basically the a space trust fund baby, enjoying all of the trappings of a high class lifestyle while having to do virtually none of the work to own it. Doing that work however is encouraged and rewarding (Some of the most fun I had was in late 2012, shepherding a small gang group into success). The reason we run this space empire is so that goons are virtually free of obligation to chase down whatever path they wish in the game. We are virtually unique in the galaxy (Save for those alliances that built on our own model) of not having things like red pen CTAs, and alarm clock ops which are bullshit and unfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zasze posted:

If you are ignoring mainfleet pings you are profoundly retarded and I cannot help you :cripes:

There are more things strategically important things under the sun than those just encapsulated under "mainfleet". Now if someone's just combating the gurristas menace during 100% of their playtime in Eve, I'd agree with you. But scouts, logistics, blackops and reavers are all probably looking at you like you are dumb right now.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Laudable, but also the reason topgoon is in its current state, because that's what -everyone- in topgoon wants (including the leadership sometimes :v:)

The issue with topgoon is the current USTZ leadership consists of Kincaid (Never logs in to do stuff with topgoon), Chickenwing (Never logs in to do stuff with topgoon), Guuldan (Probably dead), and that guy who thought pipeclogging meant hotdropping on gates next to enemy staging systems (I.e. he dumb). This leaves you with Soth as the only active leader, he's in EU TZ, and he thinks the Cynabal is on par with or better than the Orthrus/Gila (So basically another idiot). Just nix the squad already or merge it with SV and be done with it, provided you get along with Koshka (He's easy to get along with) and don't let Johnny Rah in, it should be a smashing success.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Popehoist posted:

Is spec ops still active?

spec ops last active sometime last decade.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Boat posted:

Well, this is awkward.

Yeah your name is unfortunate. We already have a boat.

EDIT: And one of the most common sets of words strung together in jabber and mumble are "Shut the gently caress up boat."

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AAPsel posted:

You aren't going to make a meaningful contribution as a line member in a fleet of over 20. 80 man fleets have the added bonus of pubbies making GBS threads up coms constantly. Space violence and Topgoon both offer engaging, small scale fights and they are accessible. Holesquad and Blackops are cool too but those require more effort on your part. Join one or all and never look back.

To expand on this: SV and Topgoon are both fairly small gang, blackops would be more what people describe as "Microgang" with fleets usually not topping 10 characters (And half of those being neutral scouting alts). Because of this blackops tends to be very picky about what ships you bring.

Currently blops is camping MOA into stations which sounds about as engaging as watching wallpaper dry. Hopefully fozziesov will net us more interesting things to do.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MacPac posted:

It was crazy. We're cordinating 3 different fleets, dreads and supers grinding some structures in four different systems during our enemies primetime. Hes not even there but still he comes down to our channel and just starts talking nonstop about what hes doing at this very moment and offering comments on what we are doing.

Some things never change.

OP in Kalevala Expanse:

Random goon 1: "Ok I have him tackled"
FC: "Stay at optimals, I have a bad feeling abou"
Backup FC: "Cyno up cyno up"
Johnny Rah: Holy poo poo guys I just ran a PL gatecamp in Delve
FC: Everyone warp out, warp out, warp out. ECM jam any tackle then warp out.
Johnny Rah: Holy poo poo these guys are bad, but I managed to get my smartbombing raven out. FYI there is a PL gatecamp in Delve.
Entire channel: Groooaaaaaaans. One falcon explodes just so he has an excuse to leave fleet and coms.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 8, 2015

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Strictly speaking, I'm a Goon director. :smith:

(I'm just low-key, because I join everyone else's squads instead of starting my own elitist circlejerk :P)

Merge topgoon and space violence and put ullerrm in charge against his will.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You forgot to pre-boil them, that's going to take foreeeeever

:barf:

You should be shot if you ever go anywhere near a grill/smoker/kitchen.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

blowfish posted:

itt we learn: imperial lol nope it's still the CFC leadership will be our downfall

was this ever in doubt?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CashEnsign posted:

Apparently nerds get offended if you talk about anything other than Eve Online: A Bad Game. BBQ chat is an exception.

Eve players like to tell other people vehemently about how wrong they are. Especially if it involves boiling ribs.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

EssOEss posted:

SV is dead, just nobody has told SV leadership. Would have been kinder for the directorate to mercy-kill it, really, instead of playing nice.

There appear to be two contingents of people left:
  1. Players who want a retirement home for their high-SP characters to gently caress around with fancy ships in a small gang setting.
  2. Players who are interested in PVP and killing stuff in any form and who joined because SV was the only open-recruitment PVP-oriented squad in existence.

The former want a responsibility-free life loving around god knows where with shiny toys, while the latter want to shoot stuff on a regular basis using basic ships and non-fancy doctrines (many of them are Karmafleet newbees). These are two very different things that do not belong in the same squad together.

SV leadership clearly does not have the time to do any leading - it's just a couple of guys who have sort of been doing it for a while (and, uh, Ian). Grumps occasionally tries to lead some blops or miner-ganking fleets which is nice but leading a squad and FCing are not really the same thing at all. There is nobody steering SV in any direction beyond just throwing out the question "Maybe we should move somewhere?" and causing an echo chamber of mostly poorly thought out ideas to occur.

It is pretty bad. Then again, it is hard work to organize things, so I certainly cannot blame SV leadership in anything beyond not recognizing their ineffectiveness. Nobody owes us players anything - if we want content, we need to make it happen ourselves.

Let me tell you about how a gutshot kills any motivation in squad leadership to do anything.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nietzschean posted:

Top Gun, after which Top Goon draws its namesake, is a school. It makes sense.

The old Topgoon patch had "Special Frigates Training School" on it :sun:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Yeah the new topgoon plan is not just where to learn to PVP, it's where to learn to FC:. The idea is that they want to maintain a small group of experienced but low-ego pilots so that a new skirmish commander can figure out how poo poo works with people around to back him up, and so that new players can find an instant action button. Staging would just be main fleet staging, and assignments like "pipe cleaning" would often be performed by Topgoon fleets.

I don't know if Soth has developed it at all. He pinged me about two months back to come to a meeting, and I gave him some suggestions on how to assemble a low-cost, cheap, flexible general brawling cruiser doctrine so that any 3m sp idiot can hop into something. I had suggested a shield/AB strategy with a 25 km range so that harpies can just plug right in. Then there was discussion of doing an armor doctrine so FYF ships can plug right in. Then I had irl and I didn't think about it until now.

Soth is in leadership gridlock, he just became aware that discussing things does not make things happen. I'm forwarding useful people to him before he asks me to be responsible for anything.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

darthzeta88 posted:

So what has Sigma been up to? And is there a small gang blinged out ship Sig?

Holesquad or blackops. Let me tell you about my billion isk orthrus with another 3/4th of a billion worth of implants in my head.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
That was well written and not bitter at all. Rewrite it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

i am tentatively optimistic for the return of shield doctrines

though in my heart i know that some autist will suss out a way to bomb reliably without fleet warp

Bomber FC can sneak a cloaked carrier in system with a collection of probing hics in the cargohold maybe.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Oh, you mean this?

"Shrike is online"

"Cyno"

Then black screen for an hour and wake up in station

We were talking about fleets, not AoE doomsdays. I know it's easier to get warpins on a fleet now. But just doing away with fleetwarping like that isn't a solution.

Like someone else said, make any fleet warps to bookmarks or probe results have a significant deviation. So the FC can choose, get everyone there quickly? Or get a scout in position to get exactly where they want to be.

No, he was specifically talking about logi and how they were pointless because they'd be DD'd off the field.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Daler Mehndi posted:

I'm still trying to figure out who ate the last raviolis.

I sadly remember this.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I think we've reached the point where it's time for a new thread again. Because ugh.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Amberskin posted:

As I understand, waffe members can do anything they want, and are relatively free to ignore pings and stratops.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. This entire coalition exists entirely so goons can be useless while still enjoying the trappings of power.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Based on what they do to commercial bacon, that premium is worth it. You can then take the belly and lovingly coax it into being the proper form of bacon or pancetta or whatever goodness you choose.

I'm curing bacon right now, for delicious eating on Father's Day.

Yeah butcher shop style bacon beats the living poo poo out of anything you'll find in the supermarket. Fortunately for me I work right next to a local pig farms shop, so I can get fresh butchered pig product year round, and it's all quality cut as opposed to the dregs which I assume are sold to the supermarkets.

I mean I never really liked pork chops till we bought some from this place.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

goodness posted:

(they probably would since domestic dogs can't survive in the wild but cats can!)

How exactly do you think pack of wild dogs come about? (Hint it's people abandoning domesticated dogs)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xolve posted:

There's less than 5 people worth dealing with in BL, the rest are hand-held ex-TEST shitlers riding on in game history and achievements they had nothing to do with. See 'Against All Authorities 2014' for more information.

BL hasn't been worth a poo poo since a certain corp left.

And -A- 2014 is hilarious. Literally made up of their old SCDOT cast offs including the dregs of battlestars. Topgoon alone with no more than 16 pilots had them bottled up in their space terrified to leave their staging system (BL was hired to buck them up and proved highly ineffective) until PL came along and finished them off.

I still remember when PL had a fleet on one side of one of their jump bridge and we were on the other bombing the hell out of reinforcements trying to jump in/then trapping and bombing the leftovers of their fleet when they tried to run home (Because they couldn't get reinforcements).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Or this is just a dumb change that doesn't need made.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The more ammo the bigger the explosion. Enter the bomb filled bomber with nothing on it but a tank, a mwd and a probe launcher.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I can see why he kills all the water, none of that stuff has ever passed his fat lips, he probably has a soda tap in his house that he just sucks on whenever he's thirsty.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xolve posted:

..until you realize everything dies before you can lock it. My god the base scan resolution on that ship is balls.

No but I can kick my drones out and assign them to a random panther before he finishes locking.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
How old is he? He sounds like a worn out old man every time I hear him talk.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Don't link garbage like this, it's the click equivalent of a flyover state. It was boring. Link us stuff like coups, counter coups, and alliances tearing themselves apart. That's fun. Some random FC getting fired is pretty "Who cares" if it isn't a name we all know.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Klyith posted:

He avoided the effects of being auth by being high 24/7.

Yeah. This was back in the "You application may take up to a week to process" days.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

hemophilia posted:

Vyst is helpful, but I've never done anything to make him mad enough to mention how mad he is in the process of unvacationing or joining or whatever, you people who do that blow my mind.

Yeah. I've never had any issue getting back in because I have reading comprehension skills past the 5th grade level.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It's odd how a change of scenery can breath activity back into an organization.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

scandoslav posted:

Obviously it should be named after the corp/alliance/organization that globby was in when he invented it. Wonder who that was?

Yeah but goon-rolling just makes me think of fat chins.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Oh lord, we really need to have a Derek Smart vs Chris Roberts roundtable.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zakrello posted:

spais shall be exited to see this ping

Shut up.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CashEnsign posted:

Will there be a proper goon rush when they turn the servers back on or are goons just going to half rear end it?

90% of goons will half rear end it, but 10% left over are mega spergy and basically unemployable as anything but an internet spaceship person and will make up for the other 90% through the power of autism.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

So a sorta notable CK2 and EUIV YouTuber/Streamer named Arumba decided "let's play EVE and stream it" and as a result had around 400 of his fans join his corp pretty much overnight.

He's mostly has been trying to figure out things on his own while getting stuff sorted with his corp. However this approach seemed to have conflicted with his utter contempt about getting unsolicited advice from the Twitch Chat tonight, and he got a tad bit salty over people saying stuff like "you'll need rigs for that ship" "antimatter is a good ammo for PVP" etc.

Skip to 1:25:00 for the start http://www.twitch.tv/arumba07/v/7732402

What's his ingame channel so I can flex my scamming muscles the same way I did when Destiny decided he was going to show us eve dudes how a pro gamer does things.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Xolve posted:

I have a special loathing for people who attempt PvP without faction ammo and boosters (drugs, not links), but at 900k SP I get it wouldn't make much of a difference anyway. I'm slightly interested in seeing how many 30 dps no-tank frigates I can annhilate with something gimmicky like a rail vigilant, svipul or the new gallente destroyer.

Fit out an Orthrus right and the answer is "All of them" while MWD'ing around faster than they do.

EDIT: And your post reminded me that my boosting alt should be done cooking, time to patch up and log in.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

there is hope, isd ezwal quit being an isd

my shitpost potential has become maximum

Good, I've found the whole ISD "Experience" to be entirely negative. It's really bad when they start shifting super active threads to other subforums killing the thread almost entirely.

• Locked thread