Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

I think those changes are big improvements. Raising the cap and making the cap easier to reach makes sense. Alliance capitals is a nice touch for the staging systems. My favorite part is the change to the vulnerability window, though. Having that extend out for the little used systems will make this much more enjoyable in the days following the July 7th release, whipping around the northeast entosising the hell out of all that empty space, RFing stations every 5-10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
What the hell is rep? And why does one care about it? Is it elite PVP killboard of good posting?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

it's reddit karma but funnier when people care about it

Ha! Just found mine, 124. I'm disappointed, a hugely negative point total sounds more fun. I'll just have to earn my -3,000 by continuing to post as I have up to this point.

EDIT: Anyone have a link to Karmafleet bitching?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

I have two questions about Entosis Links and Index defense:

1. Is there any way to activate an Entosis link without targeting a Fozzie-sov structure? If so, is it worth adding to the high-slot of bumping ships, such as Machariels or SFIs?
2. In terms of Index defense, do we really care if interceptors kill ratting ships optimized for ticks? Ratters have already gone through the economic analysis: it's cheaper to lose the occasional ship, and maximize income rate (or income rate/effort). Would not the same hold true for maintaining the index? That is: it's more efficient to have a bunch of ISK-optimized ratting ships--and to lose some occasionally--than to have a bunch of people running around trying to catch Interceptors.

You don't have to activate it to get the mass addition, just fit it. It's like the penalty to scan resolution from a non-cov-ops cloak.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'm glad there's another single person in this game embracing the beauty of polarization. Let me tell you about the divine gift from the ganking gods known as the pBrutix. At 90% of the dps of a talos for 75% the cost, as well as enough buffer to tank gate guns until CONCORD shows up, they're pSweet.

Stealth bomber with polarized torpedo launchers is another great use of polarized weapons.

Just took a look at this.

[polarized, Nemesis]
Ballistic Control System II
Ballistic Control System II

Faint Warp Disruptor I
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron
Limited 1MN Afterburner I

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Polarized Torpedo Launcher, Inferno Rage Torpedo

Small Bay Loading Accelerator I
Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I

Requires some CPU help to fit both the damage rigs. With the snapshot and rapid launch implants, this gets 968 DPS with a 5,713 volley. Travels 791m/s and has a sig of 42 with 1,939 EHP.

Compare that to the same fit, but with meta launchers (528dps, 4,462 volley) with 2,533 EHP. Not much of a sacrifice in terms of EHP for the huge increase in damage.

Dr. Pangloss fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 11, 2015

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I think that's a fantastic fitting, but it's a little disingenuous to compare it to a meta fitting instead of a T2 considering polarized weapons function as T2s with respect to ammo and require the T2 skills to use the T2 ammo (right?). Nonetheless, if I was gonna go poo poo on people in a bomber, I'd use that, even though a sneeze from the pilot or an enemy would blow it up. Also, too bad we never utilized that fitting for bombless bomber fleets.

I know that polarized launchers benefit from increase rate of fire (right?) so I wonder if the second damage rig is even worth it.

Fair point! T2 launchers with t2 Torps gets you to 733dps with 5,405 volley. And you might be right, with polarized launchers, should probably go with a rigor catalyst rig there. Although, arguing with myself, the rigor plus double TPer might be overkill, depending on your target.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Klyith posted:

Polarized torps on a stealth bomber are good. That's the reason that a polarized torp launcher is still 35-40 million each, which takes it right back to bad idea. Fit a faction point on there too while you're at it -- you too can be one of wingspan's dorks flying around in 500m bombers! Play exciting music on your youtube video to imply that ganking a barge is interesting!

I get what you're saying, but while it's more expensive, it's not 500m. The t2 fit is 35m, the polarized is 106m. So, an extra 70m for an extra 25% dps.

I'm not suggesting it's the only fit there is, but I'm surprised you can blanket say it's a bad idea.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Klyith posted:

I said to add a faction point too, so 300m. ;)

Yes I was being hyperbolic, it's not a bad idea. But when I look at a polarized uboat bomber the question I have is: what exactly can it kill that a normal torp bomber can't? Uboat bombers are generally looking for targets that can't easily engage back. PVE ships, barges, targets of opportunity like that. How often will having 25% more dps allow you to take a fight that a normal bomber would lose? Conversely, how often will the extra 90m on your fit make you think twice about a target that you'd roll the dice on normally?

I guess it's totally worth doing for a blops hotdrop team where you likely will get shot back and the idea is overwhelming dps to end it quickly and get out.

Ah, never bought a faction point, had no idea they ran that high.

Great point on willingness to try a fight.

This is definitely aimed at killing things fast before a response can be mounted. Grabbing a guy in a wh before his friends can fleet up and warp to him, that sort of thing. Now, how often do you need the extra dps for that? Not sure. But the flip side of habving it might encourage you to try a fight, especially one you can bug out of, just for the chance.

Could also conceivably be used to speed structure bashes if you're into that sort of thing.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

orange juche posted:

Your best chance outside of New Orleans is NYC, surprisingly enough. I don't know where you'll find it, but if it exists, it will be there.

Of the metropolitan areas, I've found that seafood goes New Orleans, San Francisco, Boston, NYC, based on my experience. NYC has a huge variety, of course, but quality is better else where.

And good BBQ in NYC is like good Mexican food in Scotland. I think you are limited to looking for the best, not necessarily good.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Glory of Arioch posted:

Memphis BBQ on Warm Springs. Get the ribs.

Watch out for the flying bullets...

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

It's hard to tell if the table at the bottom is correct or the text. According to the text, neuts won't be available for mediums, but they are listed in the table. Here's hoping that the table is correct, since my assumption is that medium citadels are supposed to be the replacement for POSes.

Sounds very interesting. Will be nice to know what the limitations are going to be for deploying the larger structures. I'm looking forward to seeing the first indy corp to build an XL citadel in a C3 wormhole.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Wolfy posted:

Don't roll holes when you have no idea where the people in your hole came from.

That's salty.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Dalael posted:

And I am not ashamed. :agesilaus:

That's always been the problem. No self-awareness.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

darth cookie posted:

I see Baltec posting on the EVE O forums quite often so I assume he logs in and gets his 'thron on pretty regularly still.

I saw him in fleets in fountain and delve. Always in his mega.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

gwrtheyrn posted:

Most people don't fly ops with 500mil of implants in their head, so someone probably thought "oh we're blowing him up? May as well pod him!"

By someone you mean some SNOO reddit-pubbie.

EDIT: for shame, top damage is a waffe member.

Dr. Pangloss fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 19, 2015

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Hazdoc posted:

You can still solo dumb retrievers in .5 systems with a T2 Catalyst. Ganking is a lot more fun with friends, though.

Edit: Oh, for PROFIT? Uhh... yeah, not sure how you're gonna do that solo.

Technically you could, a cat costs what 2m? You should get 6-10m in drops from most barges. That said, it'd be really slow going and it certainly wouldn't pay enough to plex and buy tags for sec status, too.

Vector ganking can be very profitable and miniluv will pay 20m isk for each successful gank in certain areas.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It was my first sabre bubble. :shobon:

I remember my first bubble... "Who the gently caress bubbled your own fleet?" [pangloss sits silently on comms, waiting for the inevitable awoxing...]

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
We talking things we learned? How about don't pack a third of the stuff you just ripped off of a pubbie corp and try to make that "one last jump" through low sec space, even when all the people are docked up. Because they can undock and get on gate faster than you can align to the gate...

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

-Troika- posted:

Invest in a blockade runner, sail through every gatecamp ever while flipping them the bird.

Yeah, I've got one. This was a freighter, unfortunately. I should have just logged for the night, tried it again in a different time zone, but :effort:.

The good news is that the insurance on freighters is nuts.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

I borrowed some isk but then I didn't need it.

Your new service is pretty awesome. I also appreciate your focus on serving greater Deklein and not solely on the trade hubs, no matter what the ENLI guy says.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

A bit unrelated for EVE, but on the topic of spaceships etc., The Planetary Society are going to try and launch a solar sail next year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theplanetarysociety/lightsail-a-revolutionary-solar-sailing-spacecraft

I vaguely recall there being a solar sail styled ship in EVE but can't remember its name or what it was used for.

This thing launched yesterday (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/launch-of-first-private-solar-sail-powered-spacecraft-set-for-wednesday-video/ and http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/20/us/ual-space-plane-planetary-society-solar-sail-launch/), along with a host of other things.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Mitsuo posted:

I think it has a niche use by wormholes since it isn't targeted by sleepers, so they can scan down and mark sites or something?

Yes, they can go to the sites and make bookmarks for escalations without triggering the site.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I don't really care about having a green kb, but it's nice to have. The day I refuse to undock because I'm worried about kb stats is the day I biomass every character on every account I own.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
blerg.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Boat posted:

Yeah, I've heard that name is...tainted.

Thankfully I went with something else, I'm Talmarc Basiat in game.

I'll contract you one in Ya0 when I log in tonight. I have a few stashed.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Klyith posted:

edit: the launcher is now mandatory fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :ccp:

CCP posted:

Please note that contrary to the earlier news article, launching the EVE Online client using exefile.exe will continue to work after the deployment of the Carnyx release.
http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/update-using-repair-tool-may-fail/

Looks like they changed this already. Now they are just saying you may need to use the launcher to update your game, that the repair tool may fail now.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Boat posted:

Yeah, I've heard that name is...tainted.

Thankfully I went with something else, I'm Talmarc Basiat in game.

Hey, sorry for the delay. About to leave on vacation and been running around like crazy. Sent you the skillbooks and a bit of ISK to help you out.

Enjoy!

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Reverand maynard posted:

If anyone is bored, has logi pilots and wants to gently caress with people, team up with other goons and secure all the logi spots in an incursion fleet and coordinate NOT repping certain people. It's really really fun.

Lol, that sounds amazing...

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

ullerrm posted:

Yep -- that's the main reason I don't just upload my EFT setup. It's full of ancient poo poo, plus a bunch of lowsec/solo/AT poo poo that would get you absolutely murdered if you tried to use it in mainfleet or even just null roaming.

(I am, however, :spergin: enough that I use text tags for my fits -- i.e. all doctrine fits start with [CFC], all solo with [solo], all tourney with [AT], etc.)

I keep on contemplating making a central webservice for alliances to upload and manage doctrines -- basically a battleclinic that isn't poo poo and has functionality to be managed by corps/alliances. But :effort:

Isn't that basically what fleet up does?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

You guys got me. In other news, 15000 is a lowball number. Last check was closer to 19k.

If you need fitting help, I'm back and can help.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

DARPA posted:

One of the counters to an ECM ship is drones. They have separate locks from the player's ship.

If I dropped 5 EC-300 drones on a Rattlesnakes single gecko, would that effectively take it out of the equation?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

ullerrm posted:

Unrelated: With Burn Amarr canceled, would anyone be interested in doing some Jackdaw gangs? Basically, fat Cawkfleet with more tank, more DPS.

Once I train Cal Destroyer 5, yes.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Klyith posted:

poe's law has gone recursive

Hmmm, this could be extended to interceptors, and copy PL's Windrunner tactic except with a ship that fires an ecm burst then warps in under 2 seconds. Call it the WindBreaker. Basically the only defense would be putting smartbombing ships in amongst your logi...

WRush did this in Brave quite a bit when fighting PL. His posts on their reddit crowing about his theorycrafting abilities were fun to read.

Quick edit since I googled it and found an example: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bravenewbies/comments/2pp147/w_rush_strikes_again_new_fit_rushcat/

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

ullerrm posted:

Especially since WRush directly lifted it from Asher Elias, who was using it in mainfleet before Reavers were founded. :) Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Back when ISBoxer was allowed, Kunmi was loving devastating with the things.

Yeah, at one point he was having posts deleted that suggested he didn't create the fit from his own genius.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Zasze posted:

directorbot
6:40:06 :toot: :toot: :toot: :commissar: Effective Immediately: Reimbursement in Syndicate, Cloud Ring, Outer Ring, and Fountain is suspended until further notice. End Transmission. :commissar: :toot: :toot: :toot:

~~~ This was a broadcast from atrum_veneficus to all at 2015-06-06 01:40:06.781690 EVE ~~~

You were saying :v:

What's the reasoning for this? Just to keep people at home more? Not criticizing, I don't know enough to do so, just curious why this would happen.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
When is this thread appropriately being moved to E/N?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Homonyms are hard.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Ixjuvin posted:

Thanks but I already shipped up a VNI, found it workable but slow, and decided to spring for a Gila which I am much happier with! It's the most expensive thing I've ever flown, which is making me a little nervous, but I'm being a good, careful little ratter with it so hopefully it will be a while before I get jumped by Poitot or something.

It's all fun and games until the theta fleet assures you that you can run the first two stages of an escalation in your Gila. First stage is easy, then you get blitzed in the second... Great news is that it doesn't take long to pay for itself and with the right fit, you don't really have to worry about Poitot.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Caryna posted:

I've done FSP stages 1/2/3, 6/10, 8/10 and other escalations and scanned sites that are not The Maze just fine in a Gila with my terrible 8m SP pilot. If in doubt use a passive tank fit so you don't end up as space debris in case you come across a site with neuts. With a bit of bling a Gila can 100% afk tank cloud havens as well if you so desire.

Yeah, this was my 2.7m gank pilot attempting to rat up some sec status. I'm sure my main could have done it, and I should have contracted it over to him, but I didn't and I popped. Now he lives in high sec full time and I buy tags...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

All the iskies for his toonie taken by a goonie in front of his maties.

• Locked thread