Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

As any regular internet poster and SA user can attest, it's very important that you're normal and perceived as strange or weird by the anonymous people you discuss video games with. I'd say it's something like maintaining your personal brand, but luckily I'm normal and personal brand isn't something normal people talk about. That's for weirdos. Anyways as I mentioned I'm normal, but I'm sure there are people here that are not normal (fat, have the wrong kind of job, like things too much or too little) but would rather avoid all the unflattering comments that come with that. So I'm going to post some tips to look normal on the internet- and inviting other people to add as well. Obviously, if you're posting a tip, you should establish that you are NORMAL before trying to help out.

-Keep a lookout for the new non-normal insults: We're currently in the "mentally chill" and "mentally cool" era, but before then it was "spergin" and "autistic". We're in a deep retro-ironic "you're gay" period as well. But it's good to keep an eye out for the new terms someone might use to begin telling you that you're not normal. Be aware if someone hints that you're mentally un-chill, they are certainly cool and normal, and you should probably shape up.

-Have a lot of hobbies but don't like them too much: Normal people like to do things, but they never like doing them too much. So no matter what pay close attention to how much you're liking or discussing something on the internet forum for video games and anime. Normal people like video games and anime, but generally make sure that no more than 15% of their posts (care) go towards them. Balance out your numbers by posting white noise about politics, what you eat, and whether you'd have sex with various celebrities.

-Exercise, and talk about it: VERY IMPORTANT. The model of normal internet users are people who frequent bodybuilding.com, tnation, and MMA discussion boards. So if there's one thing you should break the 15% rule on- it's talking about going to the gym or what you do at the gym or telling people about what makes a workout good or bad. It's a solid mix of personal care and science, which is like the building blocks of normal personhood.

-Don't work in IT: pretty obvious, really.

-If more than 5 people have said you're not normal, it's all over: 5 is basically the minimum number of people needed to identify a not normal person. If 5 people have managed to call you not normal, you should take this very seriously. 4 people could be wrong. But not 5.

Anyways hope this helps (oh extra tip you can shorted hope this helps to 'hth' but this post is already way too long and writing too much is another not normal thing). Please chip in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Parallax Scroll posted:

Parallax Scroll posted:

Parallax Scroll posted:

[quote="Parallax Scroll" post="445040924"]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Speaking as a normal, I agree with the tips in this thread and they are how I conduct my life. Also tip:

don't smoke meth and then cheat on your pregnant wife with your boyfriend and then abuse him. That is NOT normal.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe this thread will be a bit more successful if I also say people can post questions, asking if their posts or posting strategy is normal?

Also I'll use this space to recommend Inevitable's Thread for normal gbsers http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718706

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Normal people like anime,

get out you poser, you're no 'normal' :mad: MODS????

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
I'm just a regular dude

Now let me show you the barely used condom shop I run out of my garage

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm not very normal, I've never fit in well at anything ever and I doubt I can. I'm going to die alone and maybe too sad to even be angry.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

I guess I'm not very normal, I've never fit in well at anything ever and I doubt I can. I'm going to die alone and maybe too sad to even be angry.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
weird thread OP

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Thingyman posted:

Thingyman posted:

Thingyman posted:

[quote="Thingyman" post="445052638"]

[quote="Thingyman" post="445052638"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Charles Bukowski posted:

that's like the most normalest thing ever, though

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Get your freak on

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Amarcarts posted:

Get your freak on

NO

gently caress off

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

lettin my freak flag fly in this thread

keep (insert city) weird!

keep Something Awful weird!

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Charles Bukowski posted:

Well I think step one in solving this problem is to erase this post. And any post like it from your history. You know the saying "fake it till you make it"? With being normal on the internet you can just shorten it to "fake it".

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Neurotypical, please :smug:

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

luv my mirrored doggies

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
but if you still can't be normal, go whole-hog in the other direction. people admire dedication

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Do what everyone else does.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nlxQOe3tw

ROFLburger