Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
no fassdong 3/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

thathonkey posted:

The surgery scene was really good that is about all.

agreedo

also lmao that the guys on the comedy forum still get totally outraged about that scene where everyone gets stoned, the cartographer gets lost, and the biologist insists on trying to pet the hissing face rape snake

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Any biologist worth their salt would try to pet the hissing snake IMO

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it was a dick-pussy snake

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

fyodor posted:

all movie reviews are retrospective you dumb fucker

strangely insightful

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Best TED talk.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Meh, it was a so-so movie. Best I can tell, they decided to take a risk and try not explaining things, unlike the typical Hollywood hand-holding where audiences are treated like moronic toddlers that have to be reminded of the plot every 10 minutes explicitly. Only they went too far in the opposite direction and left us with a film where absolutely nothing is explained in the slightest, most rational way and it all seems absurd and stupid for it.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
lots of bad info going around in the thread, just to be clear:

prometheus is a amazing wow

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Its actually very bad and its treatment of "the big questions" is stilted and hamhanded.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Other ridley scott movies are very good though. Im a goon with opinions you can trust dont worry

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the characters do poo poo that makes no sense at all and it's clearly just kind of written like 'and now this character does this so the plot can move forward'

like the mercenary guard dudes or whatever who are super freaked out at the beginning when they just start exploring the structure and are unreliable at best and just want to bug out and run back to the ship? yeah they're just camping out next to some crazy alien goo poo poo in the next scene no worries.

naem
May 29, 2011

The movie was cut badly, originally the biologist and geologist guy are having a bro contest and trying to one up each other. The biologist guy finally gets to prove he's a macho man cool guy to impress his bro when the murdersnake shows up which is why they act so weird. But they cut all the scenes that built up to it and it's just two guys acting all weird for no reason.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

naem posted:

The movie was cut badly, originally the biologist and geologist guy are having a bro contest and trying to one up each other. The biologist guy finally gets to prove he's a macho man cool guy to impress his bro when the murdersnake shows up which is why they act so weird. But they cut all the scenes that built up to it and it's just two guys acting all weird for no reason.

It ended up being a mess due to things such as the script rewrites and also editing to the point that many of the scenes don't make sense.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i liked it, but there were so many problems with it. jesus.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

everyone was hilariously stupid but the surgery scene was pretty cool

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im an archaeologist
hey ive got an idea
lets bring ancient things back to life with electricity why hasnt anyone thought of this before

im her boyfriend watching her do dumb poo poo all the goddamn time
look at that head dude making grotesque faces at her and then exploding
yeah
i know how you feel head dude

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

the characters in the movie did not do the things i would do if i was them

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

prometheus was a good movie i just wish it could have not taken a left turn in the 2nd act and been just an mildly spooky but uneventful archaeology mission until they find the engineer where he crushes their heads with his hands fade to black

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

the characters in the movie did not do the things i would do if i was them

I make reductive oversimplifications to make people I don't like look dumb.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i liked it i don't understand why people were mad :shrug:

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

Aliens made us?
Big circular ship run straight!
We are so dumb man...

Look out! zombie guy!
The black goo is dangerous!
I'm gay for watching

Wow David is smart
He shoots hoops on bicycle
I forget what else...

A lady gives birth
To alien squid monster
Can I go home now?

BLerchg
May 8, 2015
Watching it didn't feel like wasting my time, because i found the cinematography interesting, but there were so many things wrong with it on multiple other ways that i wouldn't call it a "good movie"

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Like pretty much every Ridley Scott movie it had cool aesthetics and atmosphere and not much else

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I loved that she was heading for the source. Trippy.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

was this the one with the rock monsters?

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
it was fun and very pretty lol at goons getting mad at plot holes and bad character motivation in a movie about aliens killing stuff

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The CGI was good, the old man practical effects were super bad, it had some cool scenes and some bad ones. Ultimately it was pretty ok

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didnt see it and probably never will so i can confidently declare that it is actually the best movie of all time.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Did y'all get the subtext that Jesus was an alien?

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Prometheus was actually better than alien or aliens or alien 3 or aliens 4 or that movie where Ripley frenched a xenomorph hybrid.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

the characters do poo poo that makes no sense at all and it's clearly just kind of written like 'and now this character does this so the plot can move forward'

like the mercenary guard dudes or whatever who are super freaked out at the beginning when they just start exploring the structure and are unreliable at best and just want to bug out and run back to the ship? yeah they're just camping out next to some crazy alien goo poo poo in the next scene no worries.

Damon Lindelof is a poo poo writer. Stare Trek Into Darkness also suffered from this.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

blainestereo posted:

Prometheus was actually better than aliens

:frogout:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

when the scientist took off his helmet in the alien spaceship and could breath was the moment when this movie turned to dogshit

i mean, come on

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
prometheus was p. good, too bad the editing makes all the characters seem retarded.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I think the main reason most people hate this movie is because it was supposed to be a cool Alien prequel when really they just appropriated a few minor parts of that universe to make a really mediocre and forgettable sci fi movie that a fraction of people would have watched or cared ab otherwise. It felt like a bait and switch.

The other reason people hate it is the godawful screenplay tho

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
imo it's a pretty good alien prequel, or at least it's a passable alien sequel. i read an article about it and apparently they downplayed most of the alien references a lot in the final draft of the screenplay. also they removed a lot of scenes that explained why the characters act like a bunch of retarded children.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
the only good thing about Prometheus is Happy Birthday David:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmbqH_z7jM

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I thought it was a neat movie with interesting ideas and visuals, but connecting it to Alien didn't do either movie any favors. I wish it hadn't hamstrung itself with franchise baggage and had just done its own thing, I think we'd have gotten a much more interesting movie as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Lmaooo the characters were soooo dumb they acted like actual retards and the scene were the spaceship was falling over or something and the girl had to outrun it hahaaah movie was awful truly.

• Locked thread