Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Problem description: In the last couple days, my laptop (8.1 pro) has been doing weird things when it updates. It'll install the updates and then request to reboot, as usual. Things go find until Windows kicks in after the reboot. Sometimes it'll do the "[X]% completed, configuring updates..." or whatever it is, but even if it does, it'll quickly move to "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes". Then it'll reboot again, say that line about not completing the updates, then finish booting. After it boots, some of the updates got applied, but others didn't. I can repeat this process to apparently finish installing all the updates, but they'll show up again a few days later. What the hell's going on?

Attempted fixes: Ran the Windows Update fixer tool.

Recent changes: None I can think of.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

System specs: Yoga 2 Pro, Core i5-4200, 4 GB RAM.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Googled; don't see a FAQ anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, they all installed individually. Two of them (KB3015696 and KB3022345) claimed to have failed installation, but weren't on the list after rebooting. WTF.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Alright, thanks. I could've sworn I did something similar when this problem first cropped up a couple weeks back, but who knows.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still having the issue where updates will fail either immediately or during the time before the login screen. The updates don't actually fail, however. While I'm glad they're installing, it does cause the update process to take at least twice as long. What can I do to try to resolve this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not dual-booting. I had run some Microsoft automated fix, but I guess not that one, since that found and fixed three problems. However, the issue persists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The error (at least this time) is 800f0922. I've done a little googling and found this technet thread. The first few suggestions were things I've already tried (the automated tool, rebooting and trying again). I renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder as mentioned in the linked article near the end of the thread (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336) and I'm about to restart after the first update (something for IE 11).

Edit: That update applied fine while Windows was running, but had the same "We couldn't complete the updates..." message during the reboot. The update's no longer in the list of important updates.

Edit 2: The rest of the important updates that were listed at the time installed fine. However, there's now a new one (KB3015696) that fails (before rebooting), again with code 800F0922. Currently running sfc /scannow.

Edit again: sfc finished, still the same issue.

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 23, 2015

• Locked thread