Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hot -1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions

I woke up in my old house, again, this morning.

So I think I mentioned that I don't sleep. Well, that's true. But sometimes I... fade. Especially when I'm feeling lousy, or things get too... weird, or reality forgets about me, or whatever. And every time, I wake up in my old house, in the room where I died. Like an echo of the first time. I guess that's what haunting means. Sometimes I lose time that way. It scares the hell out of me.

So what that means is, today, i get to put on one of the outfits I keep at the house -- nothing special, just jeans and a T-shirt and my old jacket and crapkicker boots -- and ride the bus to school. But first I'm treated to the Jess Picks Out an Outfit Show. Which is, um... nice. I don't know why she doesn't close her blinds when she changes, but I guess she figures there's only an abandoned house there to see it? But sometimes, I'd swear, she knows I'm there. Does she? That would actually be pretty cool. I don't know. I should say something. But she's so pretty, and rich, and I'm... dead.

Bus is terrible, school is school. I get there early, like usual, and run up to my secret room to make sure nothing has disappeared. Then i get my books and head to homeroom. I'm usually one of the first ones there, because I have nowhere else to be. I sit for a while, watching Jess, working up the courage to say something. Like, I could say that i liked the other outfit better, and she'd know that i know, but then she'd probably think I'm a creepy pervy peeper. And while I'm trying to think of something else to say, Nyx sits on her desk and starts flirting. Or maybe just talking, but with her that is flirting. I give up; Nyx is one billion times hotter and cooler than me.

Then Harriet starts talking to me. Harriet is okay. We sit next to each other at lunch, sometimes. She never seems to notice that i don't eat. I don't know why she's at Whitewillow; she's not dumb, and she seems pretty intense and not one of the brain-fried druggies or angry broken ones. But lately she's been super emotional; I catch her crying sometimes. Other days, she acts sick and dull, like she has the flu. I've been kind of worried. Then just now, out of the blue, she asks me if I think she looks fat.

"N-no," I say. She actually looks kind of puffy in the face, but you don't say that to someone. "You look fine."

"Then why did he say I looked fat?" she demands, with that little whining edge of hysteria in her voice. And then, like a creepy black pit opening in front of me, I know two things: one is that she's been fighting with her boyfriend -- I can feel the echoes of emotional damage on her like spectral scars. The other thing is that she's pregnant. I can just about taste it; new life. The opposite of death. Growing. Inside her.

"Why are you staring at me?" she demands.

"Nothing!" It comes out like a squeak. She doesn't know yet. I get up, hurriedly trying to get away from ticking emotional bomb, and back up, butt first, right into a squirming pile of Nyx and Sarah.

Oh. Wow.

I try to back away, but the rivet on my jacket is caught in something on the back of Nyx's neck; is that a bikini top? Whatever I do, it undoes the knot, and the top starts to fall off. And then I automatically try to retie it, or hold it up, or something, which is really stupid, because my hand meets Sarah's coming from the other direction, and we squeeze.

"Um. Sorry?"

Turning Nyx on: 2d6-1 6 Spending string on Nyx to make that a 7: Marking Xp.

quote:

Alex Phane, Ghost of the 90's

Alex Phane, ghost.

Look: meek, unnerving eyes
Origin: Confused death

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Moves:

Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition.
On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:
*You gain the delusional condition,
*You can’t speak during this scene,
*You suffer one harm,
*You start re-enacting the scene of your death

Dissipate
You can walk through walls.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another’s characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions

I feel myself pulled out of the tangle, watching Jess leave abruptly. Oh, crap! Was it something I did? I look up to see the hand helping me is Alister's. I've seen him watching me. He seems a little... well, he stares. But otherwise, he seems okay, for this school.

"Thanks," I say, tucking a strand of hair out of my face. My hair is crazy and has a mind of its own. "I'm fine." I look down: I'm still holding onto part of Nyx's bikini top. The rest of it is no longer on Nyx at all.

"Aaah!" I toss the strings to Alister.

I choose Say Something you regret

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 10, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 1/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions

"What are you, gay?"

I've still got blood pounding in my ears from ten second of contact with Lilliana; I've been on trips that were less intoxicating than her hand down my pants. So when I hear the voice, I'm not even sure who's speaking. it cuts across me like Janey weeping an echo of while I hold her the past. They said so many things. The girls were worse than the boys. All I can hear is voices twenty years gone. My hair stirs with the wind of a bullet's passing. I guess it sounds stupid now, but I didn't see any reason to go on living after...

Projecting the blame on Sarah: 2d6+2 9 Sarah gains the Blamed condition and Alex takes 1 Harm. Marking xp.

"He is not a freak!" I snap, turning to... Sarah's retreating back? And Alister is looking at me. And that's not what she even said. The last few moments of conversation crashes back onto me, but it's... fuzzy. The past is a closer place than the present, just now. And my head hurts. And Alister said...

"What do you mean I don't belong here?" I ask him nervously. I don't, but how does he know? Can he tell what I am? I'm sure he can tell. My head hurts. I reach back, touching the back of my exit wound head, and my hand comes away bloody. I stare at the blood on my fingertips, not understanding. I show Alister the blood. "I'm sorry," I tell him, my voice sounding sleepy. "I think you were right. I need to... go." I push away from my desk, reeling for the door.

Hold Steady: 2d6+1 6 Cool can be considered to be lost. Alex is leaving the room, with the vague intention of pursuing Jess or Nyx, but she's kind of hosed up right now so who knows.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 11, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Sitting on the toilet, I blink down at my hands, watching them turn transparent. I concentrate hard. Color bleeds back into the world around me and i can no longer see through myself. Right.

I feel cold, all of a sudden, and i realize that my jacket must not have gone with me. It's puddled on the floor one story up. I look around, but I know immediately where I am. First floor girl's toilet, freshmen's wing. This school is my haunt; it's like knowing where you are in your own home. I take a deep, steadying breath, and inhale a lungful of... Oh. Right. I push open the stall door, stepping out, to see a bunch of young, guilty, resentful faces looking back at me through a haze of pot fumes. Bathroom break. I reach out, pluck the joint from the nearest girl's hand, and take a deep hit, then hand it back. "Sorry," I say. I push past them and out the door before they have a chance to speak. This is how rumors get started, I know, but... God, that feels better. It's like a curtain between me and the fear.

I touch the back of my head again, feeling blood, but no wound. Ghost-logic. I can't go back to class like this. I need to get cleaned up, and the best place for that is...

Nyx is in the infirmary, looking blissed out and still half naked, and... Alister? Ok. Why not?

"Um." I say. They're standing between me and the sink. I feel my whole face turning the color of my freckles from the blush. "Hi."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I watch goggle-eyed as Sarah and Nyx just proceed to go at it without restraint. If Sarah wasn't such a... wasn't such... Part of me envies them. I don't think I'd have the courage to do that in front of others. Everything Nyx does just makes me more and more conscious of the fact that I'm not alone in the room. I can feel Alister's irritation building by the second. I start to say something, and then don't. And then Alister is leaving, chased out by the... can you have an orgy with just two people? Because this looks like it.

And I'm still bloody. And they're both lying between me and the supplies. And Liliana asked me to...

"I need, um.... I need." Asking politely isn't going to work. I try to edge around them, skirting the nurse's station to reach for the towels and wipes. I'm acutely conscious of Liliana's face a few inches below me as Sarah really goes to town on her neck...

I lose a moment of time, again.

When I come back, I'm kissing Nyx. A lot. With tongue and hands, and... everything. More like molding my whole body into hers and Sarah's, being honest. It's like I'm a different person. ohmygod her lipstick tastes so good

Giving myself to Nyx.... briefly.

"I'm sorry!" I say, and pull back. My face feels like a furnace. With a lunge, I grab the supplies, and back quickly out of the room. It takes an effort to open the door and not just run through the wall.

In my haste, I pass Alister. I feel like i owe him an explanation; he looks kind of mad. "I'm sorry," I tell him. I'm not sure exactly for what, but I am sorry. I always feel like I've done something wrong, even when i haven't. "Look, it's okay if you're... gay. I mean, I am. And, uh.... apparently, a lot of people here are. So it's okay. You don't have to worry about what she said."

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 12, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

"Oh," I say, embarrassed yet again. "Well, I'm sorry I thought you were...." I trail off. We'll be here forever (literally for me) if we keep apologizing all the time. "Well, anyway. You don't really seem like you belong here either," I tell him. And Allister really doesn't. "You're too kind. And you aren't all..." I wave a hand at the nurse's office. "Caught up in yourself."

I smile at him, offering the alcohol swabs and towels. I don't know why I thought he had creepy eyes before. They're really actually pretty nice. "Could you help me? It was just a little cut, or something. I need to wipe the blood away, but it's hard to do the back of your own head. And then I guess we should probably get back to class."

Giving Alister what she thinks he wants; a friend

Shut Alister Down: 2d6+1 7 Despite the name of the move, Alex is actually trying to establish a rapport. Giving Alister the condition "Friendly", and he can give her one as well.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Cared For

I check my head in the mirror. Yeah, no bandages. I already knew that. There's either no wound there, or... a crater. No in between. That's how it works, with ghosts. I've got really long hair, so the important thing is to make sure it's not all matted with blood. And Alister is pretty cool about it, although he's a bit fumbly, like he's scared to touch me. It's cute that he pretends to be tough.

"What? Oh, uh... plans? No, not really." I can't really tell him that on most nights I never even leave the school. Sometime I go for walks, but after the sun sets I get this terrible pressure to get back to one of my haunts. "Yeah, okay," I say cautiously. "We can hang out. But not at my place. It's..." I trail off, unable to think of a good lie. "Bad. But we can hang out." And my chest feels warm, thanks to the prospect of not being alone for a while.

"Oh crap! I need to get my jacket first," I remember.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 13, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions

Thank God nobody stole my jacket. I check the patches to make sure that none of them are ripped any more than they already were; I had them ripped up just right.

"Sure," I tell Alister. "Let's go. I cut class, like, all the time," I add, lying. "No big."

I'm probably going to be the only person who shows up to community service on Saturday, aren't I?

----------------------------------

I don't like the rain. I've got long hair, and the water plasters it all over my face and down my back. From the sound Alister's teeth makes, I can tell that it's cold, but, well... not to me. I still don't like it, and I'm thankful to get in out of the rain. At least my jacket keeps my shirt from soaking and sticking to my skin.

I try not to stare at the shelter. Like, I live in an abandoned house and an old closet, and my place is still better than this. Does he live here? I hope not. Probably not. And then he unveils the--

Ooooooooooooooh!

I kneel down, hunkering over it, until I feel wet hair spattering droplets on his trove of stuff. "Sorry," I mumble. The jewelry's' nice, and there's a lot of it, but that's not what catches my eye -- past earrings, I never really got into that, although this one time Janey pierced my nose with a safety pin and it got infected -- it's the electronics. There's game-y things, and music players, and.... "Oh! A computer phone," I croon, picking it up. The little black glass thing is so sleek and shiny and futuristic, like a promise of better times. The case is clear, like crystal. I press the button, trying to turn it on, but nothing happens. The battery must be dead. I put it down, disappointed.

"It's all really cool," I tell Alister. "Really cool." I start to ask him where it came from, but it's so obviously stolen I don't bother. I get it. I smile uncertainly at him. I feel like a drowned rat as I tuck hair back behind my ears. I'm not sure what to say. "So is this, like... your home?" Oh crap! Wrong thing to say!

Wet Alex might inadvertently Turn Alister On: 2d6-1 2 NOPE! Cataclysmic failure leads to awkward conversation. Marking Xp.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 15, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I touch the phone's dead screen again wistfully. I can't seem to help it. I also examine a silver pendant I think Jess would like; after months of watching her change in the window, I probably know her tastes better than anyone. Except for Nyx. I sigh.

I look at Alister, thinking. I know he's lying. Not because I'm super good at reading people, or anything, but as someone from a broken home, I just know. But it clearly embarrasses him. So I don't want to push it. On the other hand... I look at his treasures again. Bringing me here took trust. And he was the first person to trust me with anything since I was alive.

"It's okay," I tell Alister. "I get it. Sometimes you need s space just for yourself, where you can go." I look around the shelter. "I have one too. It's where I live, mostly. Would you like to see it? It's just fair; you showed me yours, so i should show you mine." I blink, and feel the heat rising up my neck to invade my freckles. "That came out wrong."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I'm thinking. Alister looks like he feels horrible. "We don't have to," I tell him. "If you don't want to. I just thought you might like to... share."

This isn't going well. My eyes stray back to the phone again, longingly, amid the pile of other treasures. Dangit. Being meek and nice Alex hasn't really been working for me so far.

I grab the phone and hold it up. "Listen," I tell him. "I want this. I've never ever had anything like this before." I surprise myself with my own bluntness "I don't have any money or anything I could trade that you'd want, but I can... get stuff. I'm good at getting stuff. And I'll bet you're good at finding stuff, and getting stuff like this," I wave the phone, "working. So we could, I don't know... work together?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Wow. Alister got really serious all of a sudden. I take the cigarette gingerly -- tobacco's not really my thing, but I've smoked before -- and I hunker down next to him, looking so hungrily at the phone that I don't pay attention to what he's saying. Wait, Max? Oh, he thinks that Max is a boy? I start to correct him, then stop. These things can be complicated; I should know.

I take a drag on my cigarette, thinking about it. "Well... as long as you help me set the phone up and get it working and activated and everything..." He seems like he'd know about that sort of thing. "I don't know that much about Max, but I could tell you what i know. And me... I think it'd be easier to show you than tell you about me. I'm not that interesting." I think about it some more. "And the way you handled Liliana earlier, like she didn't even effect you. You could help me with that too."

I take the cigarette out of my mouth and hold out my hand. "Friends?"

Counteroffer: A string on Alex and Max in exchange for the phone and one of your 3 strings on Nyx

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Harm 0/4 | Experience 4/5 | Conditions

Bargain Accepted.

I watch hungrily as Alister does complicated phone stuff to the phone. Finally, when it's working, i pluck it from his fingers and stare into its shiny screen, finding the buttons for phone and internet. I had a gameboy, once. This thing is, like, a million times smarter and cooler.

"Oh, Max?" I ask, not really thinking. "Well, she's just... Cool, I guess. Sweet. She's always trying to help people. And she seems sad. She's more Jess's friend than mine, but I try to talk to her." I think about it, then add, "I know what it's like to fade into the background. Anyway, if she's hanging out near the boy's locker room, I think it's because she's... trying to figure some stuff out about herself," I say, not really knowing the words. I feel like someone trying to map unknown territory. "Y'know. Boy-girl stuff," I add lamely. "Like, her closet is full of clothes, but not the way Jess's is; it looks like twenty different people of both genders are storing clothes in her wardrobe, if you see what I mean?" I hope he does. This is one of those areas where I feel like I missed 20 years worth of really important stuff.

I get to the contacts portion of my phone, and think about it. I know Max's number, because I checked her phone while she was asleep (don't judge me). And I know Jess's number. And I saw Nyx's number written on a bathroom stall at school. But that's all I know.

"Um, hey," I ask Alister. "Could I get your number? Partner?" In the meantime, I send out a text to Jess and Max:

Alex posted:

HEY everyone i got a new phone! :woop: You can call me at ths number if U want to. :krad:

Alex posted:

Sorry, it's me, Alex. I should have said. :(

With a happy sigh, I smile at Alister. "We could go get something to drink? Like coffee, or something. Or, are you hungry?" I don't ever get hungry myself, so I've kind of lost track of food times. "Or if you want to go back tot he school, I know a way to get in and hang out where nobody will find you."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I flinch when Alister says the crack about the 21st century. Does he know? How could he know? I relax. No, he's just being kind.

My phone dings, and it pick it up. It's Max! Speak of the... something. "Max wants to talk," I tell Alister, already texting her back. "Deja vu."

Alex posted:

We R going 2 Starbux :cool: Alisters treat. You shoud come. Id like to talk to you sum more. :)

I get up, pulling on Alister's arm. "C'mon, you should talk to her. You'll see she's not at all creepy," I promise.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I like coffee places. They make me think of Seattle, and that makes me think of Kurt. Also, coffee is one of those things I can actually taste. Food is just kind of... there. And then I sit down to eat it, and afterwards, it's gone, but I don't remember eating it. Like a little snippet of reality cut out of the world. But coffee is real for me; coffee, tea, alcohol, and drugs. Libations. I looked the word up. Offerings for the dead.

I order a Caramel Machiato, medium-sized, and wonder when everything got so expensive. Alister already has a seat, and I feel my phone vibrate on the way to the table. Sitting down, I pull it out to check, and see the text from Jess. I feel my stomach flollop. I look around and notice her cuddled up with Lilliana for the first time. I feel fluttery, all in my gut. Are they asking me to...?

And then I spot Max. She looks wet, and tired, and in need of someone to talk to. Okay, Alex. Priorities. I swallow, take out my phone, and carefully type a reply:

to Jess posted:

Max sked to talk to me bout something import. If I have time afterward i could join u? :sun:

I send the text and give a little wave. Then Max is sitting down. "Hi," I say, putting the phone away. "Is everything okay?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

As Max talks, I get Jess's text, and smile. I'm so happy I have a phone too! All thanks to Alister. It seems rude to respond while people are talking -- even though I've seen people do it -- so I just nod to her across the coffee shop, smiling.

And, amazingly, Alister and Max are getting along. That's good. They both seemed awfully shut up in themselves, before. It's the school, I think. It takes you out of your old life and puts this shell around you. It doesn't do it to me because I don't have an old life. The worst thing kill myself that ever happened to me has already happened. Everything afterward is... afterlife.

"He helped me," I tell Max. "This morning I had a... bad turn... because of something Sarah said." For a moment, I feel my face darken and I grit my teeth. "I don't know what made her so awful to everyone, but it needs to stop." I shake my head, sending wet hair flying. "Anyway, I hit my head, and cut myself a little, and Alister helped me clean it up. And after that, we started hanging out." I put my new phone on the table and spin it. I think about saying it was a gift from Alister, but he seems to be embarrassed by the idea of charity. "Really, it's been a good day."

I look at Max, searching her face, and... she's very cute. I can see how Alister thought she was a boy, for all I know, maybe in her head she is a boy, but still... Cute. And kind of... vulnerable. I suddenly have the urge to hug her. Or more...

I don't know. Maybe it was Jess's text influencing me, maybe it's the fact that I was already sitting next to her, but I decide to push. I slide my hand across the table, intending to touch hers, but I bump the caramel machiatto. Whipped cream rocks back and forth on a sea of mocha and almost spills. drat it, Alex. I draw back... and then say gently caress it and give her a quick, friendly one-armed hug anyway. If you can't be subtle, at least be honest.

Alex gives herself clumsily to Max. Turn Max on: 2d6-1 6

"Are you sure you're okay?" I ask. "You seem like you have something on your mind."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

"You can turn into what?" I ask incredulously. At first I don't think I heard that right, but then she keeps talking. And then she got Jess and Lilliana back together? I look over at the two of them cuddling and back to Max. And then she punched a mirror? Why? It feels like she's leaving out the parts of the story that make it make sense, but the parts she's telling are so strange that i can't believe there'd be anything even stranger that she couldn't say. I glance at Alister, to see if he can believe this, but of course he can't hear. Right.

Shapeshifting. Well, I can walk through walls. Together we fight crime.
I shake my head.

"So the... dream is what set all this off? Or the sleeping with Jess? or the..." I cock my head. "You told Jess what you could do, right? That's why she hugged you? And, uh... slept with you?" I can't even tell if that's jealousy or what I'm feeling. I shake my head again, feeling water drops fly. I don't understand. "Is that why you need to talk to someone?"

I narrow it down to the three things I can grasp: Max had a bad dream. Max hurt her hand. And Max has superpowers. When you put it like that, it's simple. I stand up abruptly, taking her by the (non-injured) hand and pulling her in the direction of the Women's restroom. "I want to see," I say. "I want to see you change into someone. If I can get past that, I'll understand the rest."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I was really excited by the prospect of getting to see a magic trick, but suddenly, Alister's all in my face and I start to freak out. I don't deal well with physical confrontations. I have to grit my teeth to keep the world from going grey and ghostly. He's hissing something at me and i don't understand... wait, what? "We weren't going to gently caress in the bathroom!" I protest. I mean, maybe kiss a little, that wouldn't be so bad, she's cute and I'm tired of being alone, but not, y'know, that. "She was going to show me something. Something private," I add. That doesn't sound like a very good explanation but it's hard to get more accurate without opening an entire can of worms. Also, it kind of hurts that he didn't trust me.

And then Max is talking and I start to protest again. "We're not dating," I say. "We're just friends!" I think about telling her that I'm gay, but really this doesn't seem like the time or place and, besides, I still tense up every time I say it out loud. Like one of those Pavlov dogs. "And nobody was ditching anybody."

But before I can explain any further, Max is dragging us BOTH towards the bathroom. I let myself get pulled; it seems like the path of least resistance. "So you said you needed clothes," I say, shrugging out of my jacket. "Will this work?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

It's kind of crowded in the bathroom, but I'm excited to see this trick of Max's. But then, after handing over the jacket, she needs my shirt. How many clothes is this going to take? I glance at Alister, but... he did say that we're partners. With fumbling fingers i grab the bottom of my t-shirt -- the classic crooked-smiley Nirvana design -- and drag it up over my head and hand it to her. I've still got a plain white bra on, and it's not like I've got much going on in that department anyway, but I cross my arms defensively all the same.

Rolling to turn Max and Alister on because it seems like this would but I get a 5 and a 6. With my luck I don't know why i bother rolling.

"Here," I say. "Show us what you were telling me about. I want to see. Uh, please? It sounds amazing."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

"Oh my God!" I say, clapping my hands to my mouth as i watch the transformation. It really is happening! She really does look like me! I watch my own face making expressions that I'm not responsible for. It's way, way, waaaaaaay stranger than looking in a mirror. And she even sounds like me!

Tentatively, not realizing that it's rude, not remembering that I'm sort of topless, I reach out tentatively to touch my -- her -- face. It's flesh and blood. It's really real.

"Oh my god! Does it hurt? What does it feel like? How did you learn to do that? Can you do anybody? Like adults? Or boys? Can you..." I have so many questions that I can't ask them all. "That is so cool," I breathe. I glance at Alister, and he seems to feel the way i do. "Right?" He doesn't seem at all horrified. I suddenly get part of an idea; just, like, an inkling of the shape of an idea, of something really amazing involving Max and him and me. But it means I'd have to do something else first.

I hesitate. But he did say we were partners. And Max is trusting us with her secret. "If I told you guys something," I say slowly, "could you both keep it a secret?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I take a deep breath, for old time's sake more than out of necessity. This is big. But I'm tired of keeping it all inside, and this is probably the best chance I'll ever get to tell anyone. And besides, Sarah already knows and she is the devil.

"I'm a ghost," I tell them. And before anyone can say "You're a what?" or "Huh?" or anything dumb like that, I take a step backwards, directly though the solid steel door of the bathroom stall. Then I take a step forward.

I look right into their shocked faces. "I'm a ghost. I'm not so much attending the school as I am... haunting it. Um." I've got my arms crossed over my chest, and now there are goosebumps, but I don't feel cold. "I died about twenty years ago. I guess it sounds stupid now, but I didn't see any reason to go on living after Kurt Cobain died." I shake my head, clearing the sudden echoes. "Sorry. But um. Yeah. I'm a ghost. I can walk through walls. I don't get cold or hungry. And i know the school inside and out, because that's my... haunt." Suddenly, this doesn't seem like as good an idea as I thought it would. Max gets superpowers because she's awesome, but mine come from being a freak. I look from face to face nervously.

And then some total rear end in a top hat starts banging on the door. And i remember I'm topless.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 21, 2015

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Hold Steady: 2d6+1 8 Alex keeps her cool.

I spot Max's tanktop lying draped over the sink, which at least solves one problem; I tug it on. It doesn't fit well, I but can wear it. There. Now I don't feel like I've been caught in an orgy. Too bad i can't walk other people through walls. Also too bad I don't know what's on the other side of that wall.

I link arms with Max and pull her out the bathroom door, past the bowled over barista. "Remember," I tell her. "Twins sisters. Look haughty and don't look back. We didn't actually do anything wrong." I head for the door.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I pull Max out the door, and am instantly soaked to the skin. Oh right; rain. But where before I had my jacket, now I just have Max's thin little tank top. I'm instantly soaked to the skin. I duck beneath the awning of a CVS to get out of the rain and look at Max--me. It's so weird. And she hasn't really said anything since I told her I was a ghost, although she doesn't look horrified to be near me, so maybe that's okay? No, it's probably never okay. I look at Max, and she looks like a living version of me; a version I'm not. All of a sudden, I feel a cold that has nothing to do with the rain, and start to shiver.

To cover it I take out my phone and text Alister, as promised:

quote:

Me & Max got away and R round back. U OK?

I look at Max, then look away. "Um. We should probably find somewhere to change. Seeing you like that makes me feel... sad." I shiver. "And you probably want your shirt back." I look down at it. "Or maybe a dry one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

"Oh, thanks," I tell Max as she hands over the jacket. I start to tell her to keep it -- she'll get cold faster than I will -- but I feel kind of lost without it. "And, uh, keep the shirt, until you get another, sure. Can't walk around... half-naked..." I mumble. Not that I wouldn't like it.

I cough. "Anyway, there's an outlet store one street down," I tell her. "I know a guy that works there, although he should still be in school. We can change in there." I take her hand and we run through splashing raindrops to get there. Inside, the clerk gives us a distrustful look, like we're going to steal something. Everyone else in the store also does a double take, and I don't understand until I remember; twins.

"So, uh, did you have any plans for the day?" I ask as she browses, occasionally checking my phone. Alister hasn't texted back yet. Did he get my message? Did I do something wrong? I'm not totally sure I know how to use it yet. "I know Jess said something earlier about going to a movie..."

• Locked thread