Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Classified Marduk Institute Report on Legion posted:

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

In summary, the following facts can be surmised regarding the Dstl mass children manufacturing project, codenamed Legion, and its subsequent failure.
  1. The intent was to find a way to mass-produce children capable of piloting Evangelion units. While the British government does not have enough Evangelion units to even remotely justify such a project for its own usage, it seems likely that this was more of a political maneuver. Having a ready supply of pilot-ready children would allow them to push the argument against the use of civilian pilots, and in turn dominate the upbringing and indoctrination of said pilots. This would fit with their desire to mass-produce Evangelion units themselves.
  2. The fact that the groundwork for Legion was laid down before the Second Impact implies that the Dstl was likely infiltrated or manipulated by SEELE in accordance with their ideology. While it seems unlikely they were an outright pawn, it is likely that SEELE leaked selective information to the British government to meet their demands.
  3. Legion created artificial humans using cloning and genetic variation therapy, then indoctrinated them with a mixture of classical British jingoism and military-espionage training. It is believed that 33 subjects were successfully birthed in this fashion. The original subject they were created from cannot be ascertained at this time.
  4. Six months ago, Eva-01b was provided to the British government under Nerv supervision. Eva-01DT (Dual Type) was designed for a two-pilot interface. It was believed the high potential synchronization ratio between Legion pilots could serve as a test bed for future two-pilot Evangelion models, allowing reliable synchronization rates above 60%.
  5. Early tests were promising, allowing consistent synchronization at 71%-94%, but the first combat test was disastrous and would effectively end the project. The exact cause is hard to determine with the ensuing damage, but it believed that Eva-01DT entered a berserk state that was only stopped through forced plug ejection. However, it is believed that nearly all Legion subjects entered a unexplained synchronization state due to their common genetic heritage. The origin of this phenomenon is poorly understood, but tests continue with the remaining survivors. The original pilots either died upon the impact of their plug, though it is also possible that a struggle exacerbated their mortal wounds.
  6. The synchronization state somehow caused all of the Legion subjects to enter a “berserk” state similar to that of the Evangelion unit themselves. They lashed out at any perceived threat, which included Legion personnel. While they were vulnerable to injury, they were unmoved by pain and reacted very swiftly. It addition, their efforts were coordinated, and they engaged in morale-shaking brutality, including bare-handed executions and cannibalism. Though capable of using tools like keycards and blunt instruments, they did not seemingly retain their military training, and seemed to use firearms haphazardly if at all. However, Dstl special commandos intervened, eliminating nearly all Legion subjects.
  7. Only two Legion subjects survived, Legion-13 and Legion-24. Their memories of the incident appear to have been damaged, either by the synchronization state or by trauma, but both survived with injuries, including each suffering the loss of an eye. Personnel reported that the pair coordinated to rescue Legion personnel, though in the end only a handful survived along with the subjects.
  8. Why Legion-13 and Legion-24 failed to synchronize with their fellow subjects is unclear. Their only commonality other than their shared design comes from Dstl records where both were on a list titled “Subjects Not Suited For Field Testing”. It is possible that the other subjects on the list failed to synchronize and enter the berserk state, but if they did, they were killed by the berserk subjects. Legion-13 was credited with a level of curiosity that rendered her obedience unclear, with attached reports regarding her repeated violation of security protocols to discover more information on personnel or the outside world, and a willingness to question or contradict orders. Legion-24 was listed as unfit for duty due to his high level of emotional attachment to fellow subjects, and poor performance in test combat conditions as a result.
  9. Despite their trauma, it is believed that Legion-13 and Legion-24 can be salvaged as potential pilots. In fact, their position makes them a unique test bed for dual-pilot production models. With a battery of deprogramming and more stringent precautions, we believe that they can be transitioned over to Nerv. The Dstl will protest this action, of course, but will not have the political will to prevent it.
With this conclusion, I believe it is safe to go ahead with the full conversion of Eva-02DT with the approval of the branch head, in anticipation of their testing and field deployment.

??? posted:

Approved.

Pre-Test Counseling Session with Subject Legion-24 redesignated "Noah" posted:

???: So, we’re going to be ready for tests soon.

Noah: You won’t get me inside one of those things.

???: I hadn’t brought that up. Why did you think you were going to be included in the tests?

Noah:

???: It’s okay. Nobody’s forcing you. But are you really going to let her do this alone?

Noah:

???: Don’t you care about her feelings?

Noah: It doesn’t matter, you can’t have her pilot without me.

???: Sorry to correct you, but she can. It’s not the ideal situation, but we have an old test model we can refurbish, if we need to. You can stay behind.

Noah: … rear end in a top hat…

???: I didn’t quite- look, I understand you’re upset, but it’s her decision.

Noah: She doesn’t know what she’s doing.

???: Do you?

Noah: Fine. I’ll pilot it, but only for her. Do you under-

???: Hm. No.

Noah: What?

???: Take a week off. Talk to your sister. If you’re still willing, we’ll talk again.

Noah: Isn’t that all you want? For me to say yes?

???: I don’t need wishy-washy pilots who get in just to play white knight. I know how you lost that eye. Don’t gently caress around with me.

Noah:

???: We’ll talk later. Take care, okay?

Pre-Test Counseling Session with Subject Legion-13 Redesignated “Pax” posted:

???: So, you say you’re ready to pilot.

Pax: Yes.

???: We’ll be commencing the first tests in a week, but I had some questions for you first.

Pax: Okay. I’ll do my best!

???: Will you?

Pax: What?

???: Do your best.

Pax: I mean, I’ve never really done it before, we did the simulators, but…

???: So you really have no idea whether or not you can, in fact, do your best.

Pax:

???: I have the records here, I’m looking at the readings on your solo synchronization rates. I don’t want to quote numbers, but… well. I’ll admit it’s not the most promising score we have.

Pax: 24... Noah doesn’t want to pilot.

???: I know. We’re not going to force him. But the tests coming up… you have to understand the tests will have to come out a lot stronger if you’re going to be a pilot.

Pax:

???: I don’t want to get your hopes up too much. But- if I may- why are you looking to do this? I mean, after everything that happened.

Pax: Well, it’s what we were born for… and… I want to see. I have to know.

???: Know what, exactly?

Pax: I don’t know. I just know I can’t find it unless I’m a pilot.

???: Oh, I see.

Pax: Huh?

???: All of your sisters and brothers saw something… you want to understand what happened to them, am I right? To put meaning to what happened.

Pax: I… no, I’m stronger than they were.

???: Is that so? Because I have the original records from your project. Do you know what they said? “Failure”. Over and over. “Failure.”

Pax: ...

???: Now you’re proven that’s not true. You picked up a gun and took at aim at your own sib-

Pax: What- why are you saying these things?!

???: I don’t need a distracted pilot trying to find answers inside a cockpit when the enemy comes. I need that brave girl who pulled that trigger. Do you understand? Because that’s what it’s going to be like every time.

Pax:

???: Bring that girl back in a week and she’ll be a pilot. Good luck.
pre:
Pax and Noah Victorious Taylor: Dual-Type Pilots

Aspects and Modes

Concept Aspect: Experimental Parallel Pilots
Experimental Aspect: Unstable Synchronization
Intrigue Aspect: Uncertain Loyalties
Action Aspect: 2 > 1
Omega Aspect: "Removing restrictions!"

Experimental Mode (9 points): Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Stealth, Will

Skills 

Superb (+5):	Athletics, Combat*, Notice
Great (+4):	Physique, Stealth, Will*
Good (+3):	NA
Fair (+2):	Contacts, Deceive
Average (+1):	Provoke, Vehicles
* Includes Skill Improvement.

Stunts (6 benefits)

Pair of Aces: The Function and Flaw of any Evangelion piloted by Pax or Noah are treated as Signature Aspects;
that is, they get a free invoke once per issue to use on the function, and it costs 2 fate points to compel
(or refuse) the flaw rather than just 1.

Per Ardua Ad Astra: Once per scene, Pax and Noah may spend a fate point and choose a skill. That skill has +1
to its rating for the rest of the scene, up to a maximum of +6.

Prepare For Trouble... : When brainstorming to uncover an Angel's weakness, Pax and Noah can use Notice as if
it were a trained Science skill.

... and Make it Double (3 benefits): When not piloting an Evangelion, Pax and Noah can occupy two zones at
once, and can perform actions in or be targeted in either zone, and can move independently. If both are 
targeted by an attack that hits a zone or multiple zones because of this, they are only hit once. When making
an attack action outside of an Evangelion unit, they add 2 to their Weapon rating if they occupy the same
zone, or they can attack two separate targets with a single attack roll. Finally, they gain an additional mild
consequence slot.

Stress & Consequences

Physical Stress: □□□□	Mental Stress: □□□

Consequences: Mild, Mild, Moderate, Severe

Evangelion Unit-02 Dual-Type

Function: Production-Model Dual_Type Evangelion

Flaw: Risk of Psychological Cross-Contamination

Stunts: (3 benefits)

Code 666: Once per scene, add the "Beast Mode 2nd Phase" aspect to the Eva at the start of a turn. By taking
a mental or collateral consequence, add free invokes to the aspect equal to half the amount of stress that
consequence would absorb (1 for mild, 2 for moderate, 3 for severe, and 4 for extreme).

Mission-Dictated Arsenal: Weapon 2, or Weapon 4 at a cost.

Reinforced Binding Plates: Armor 2.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

There, my app should be all wrapped up, minus the Mystery Eva™. The mega-stunt is a little clunky and open to adjustment if necessary, it's not something Fate easily fiddles around with, so I aimed towards simplicity as best I can.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Realized one of my stunts was thematically interesting but not mathematically functional, so I went ahead and did a last-minute Evangelion in its place.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

I would also like all applicants to come up with one thing their character believes to be true about EVAs, NERV, Angels, or the city of Boston.

I know that piloting an Evangelion is the only way for us to find freedom.

grassy gnoll posted:

All Pilots
Tell me about your living arrangements. As this is the land of freedom, NERV's pretty open to options for your living space. Space is provided in the pilots' barracks, but it's spartan accommodation, to put it mildly. Some of you still have living relatives! Perhaps you're with them? Or maybe you've made other arrangements. You've still got to be close to HQ in the event you're needed, so keep that in mind.

Off-Campus Housing

Right now they're staying with a NERV employee close to the HQ, but within the city. One of the things that came out of tests was a test of score that were high on effectiveness but poor on efficiency. That's NERV-speak for "wrecks a good chunk of the city in the process of winning". It was determined the if that the Taylor twins would be guided away from the path of collateral damage, they would have to be invested in the city, which means living there. Of course, that isn't to say they aren't observed. They are, essentially, when not at home, often trailed by Nerv employees.

With zachol's permission, I'd like to make that employee Marcus.

grassy gnoll posted:

Pax, would you care to explain yourself?

I didn't exactly- you let Rabah in the hangar bay all the time! I didn't meant to make people worry- but- I mean- I just need time away from Noah. He worries about me too much, but who's taking care of him, huh? So I decided to spend some time away from him and all the lousy civilians you have trying to keep up with us and see our Evangelion again. It's supposed to be different, right? You can't just follow me everywhere... it's creepy...

I mean, every time I look at him I get to see what he did just to keep us synced up, and I guess without it we couldn't pilot together, but I bet - I bet - he thinks it brings us closer together. It didn't! It's weird! Who showed him to pull the trigger when he was freaking out? Who knew how to actually get out onto the island? He keeps thinking I need him, but it's really just the other way around. So do whatever you're going to do to punish me. Just when I get tired of it, you better be able to keep up. You're just the same. You need us. But we don't need you!

grassy gnoll posted:

Noah, there's a girl in your class that reminds you of your sister. No, not her - Rachel. Pax doesn't see it. Why do you think that is?

Rachel? That was Pax's name. She was 29 to me, but Pax said we'd need proper names one day. She was always pushing things like that. And then- well, they turned on us. Once we had guns, it was just like the training. You aim at the center, right? Fancy people aim for the head. You aim at the center. To be honest...

... I didn't say this. It's pretty ridiculous to bring up. But I'm not totally sure 29 was all synced up with the others. There was just a look on her face. Like. Surprise. Anyway. Pax never wants to talk about what we did. Running away. So yeah, she looks like 29, but... there was a lot of genetic variation, to make sure we didn't all look the same, so... they could test out different traits. So it probably doesn't mean anything. But you know Pax. Pax wants to run away from all that. Maybe we made a mistake. But we didn't have a choice.

I wanted to find a better way... maybe remembering her can remind me to find that way, next time...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Not familiar with the system. I'll take a look by this evening and let you know what I think!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It looks fine, but a hefty amount of work to make the switch. I don't know how we'd handle Pax & Noah, presumably as some sort of custom Anomaly or Power. But I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Feeling a bit rough with having the twins lash out all over, but, you know...

... Evangelion.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm down with whatever you want to explore, gnoll. If you wanna do a new system, I can shift. Whatever's more interesting to you. I'm down for more, but focus on what you need as a GM in any case.

My main concern with this point is just feeling like there haven't been too many opportunities for the characters to draw connections between them, or I could just be a little more isolated since I'm playing a duo. Still, we could use more soup scenes as long as they're not allowed to drag on. That kind of thing is a bit of a Catch-22 (either they drag things, but without it it kind of ends up being characters in parallel), but we could use a cooldown with that kind of stuff wherever we're going on to.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

We could use a bit of cooldown and character exploration after the bomb that was just dropped, I think.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

In any case, let us know where we're going with this so we can move forward.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I poked a bit at a Battle Century G conversion today just to start learning it, and it is a bit tough, mainly because it's a big step down from the wide-ranging competency of Atomic Robo PCs. I'd say my only concern is running into that feeling after we've gone through adventures and in theory would be hitting a milestone in AR, but that giving us a chunk of XP also seems like a clumsy solution. I can pare them down, I think, but it's a tough call between trying to preserve their unique traits and wondering what numbers I should be aiming for in terms of stats.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I may have come off more harsh than I intended, I'm not against it. It seems like combat would be more interesting and there are good options like the co-pilot one, don't get me wrong. But attribute costs ramp up really quickly, and it's the kind of game where I wish there were sample characters to show me what I should be aiming for.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

What's the defense for a mecha based off of? I can't find it anywhere (pilots, yes, mecha, no) and was curious if there was a trait that adjusted it or not.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I was about to wrap up the Taylors' sheet late here, but then realized I realized I had to deal with the conversion elephant in the room. I'm honestly not sure how reliable Comrade is supposed to be for this sort of thing. It might be a better solution, depending on how you want to work it. But in the meantime, I present:

quote:

Twins
Anomaly Trait (0)

Effect: You have an Advantage to tests outside of your Mecha where more than two sets of hands are advantageous. Alternately, you can exist in two locations at once. However, when your first layer of Plot Armor is knocked out, you lose this benefit (as one twin falls) and instead get a Disadvantage to piloting your Mecha.

I have to work out some issues with defining their Genre Reason; Noah is more of a (reluctant) protector driven by his empathy, while Pax is driven by her curiosity in trying understand their shared tragedy. So I have to decide which is more important. (I thought about making one the Reason and one the Bane, but that doesn't quite sit right.)

Inside the Mecha, obviously Assistant can represent that there.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sorry for the wait! I totally redid Twins, mainly just because Battle Century G tends to put a heavy divide between pilot traits and mecha traits, and I tried to at least narrow that and make it a little more elegant. If anybody has any issues with it, let me know.

pre:
Pax & Noah Victorious Taylor

Genre Reason:	Discover the secrets of the Evangelions.
Genre Typecast:	Arrogant Ace(s)
Genre Bane:	"We can handle this ourselves."

Attributes:	Fitness 6	Intellect 4	Charm 3
		Awareness 7	Willpower 7	Resources 2

Skills:		Athletics, Combat, Resisting Interrogation (Deception), Stealth
Traits:		Ingenious, Jack of all Trades, Jaded
Deathblows:	Finishing Blow, Sweeping Assault
Anomaly:	Twins
Genre Powers*:	My Style is Impetuous (Pax), Trump Card (Pax/Noah),
		You Can Do Better Than That (Noah)

Attributes:	Might 6		Guard 6		Threshold 6
		Energy 4	Systems 4	Speed 7

Upgrades:	Assisted Targeting, Assistant, Reactive Booster,
		Secret Equipment (Regeneration, The Beast)

Weapons:	Assault Rifle, Chainblade

* Genre powers vary based on pilot(s) available.

quote:

Twins
Anomaly Trait (0)

Effect: You have an Advantage to tests where more than two sets of hands are advantageous. Alternately, you can exist in two locations at once and act in both normally. However, whenever you lose a layer of plot armor, spend a Genre Point. You may (or must, if you have no Genre Points available) lose access to the above benefit and the Assistant upgrade instead of losing a Genre Point.

Edit: Slight clarification added to Twins.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 17, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wouldn't we be testing Speed instead for an Operation?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, it's basically that there are two forms of combat and ironically, the pilot's traits are almost never used in Operations. I think there may be exceptions but they're almost functionally two different "games", presumably so there's no pressure to maximize your pilot's traits to be an effective pilot.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The idea of celebrating isn't really second nature to Pax and Noah; one or both might be willing to go along with a suggestion, but having any freedom at all is something they're still working out what the hell to do with.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Melee attacks can hit mecha engaged in duels accidentally. But!

Unit-02 is making a Crippling attack. And "Crippling Weapons always have the benefits of the Suppress Action but without the penalty to Damage." And Suppressing is"never at risk of hurting a friendly Unit that is in a Duel." Normally there's almost no way to reliably nail a dueling target, but as far as I can tell this attack should be safe.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, it definitely feels like a weird interaction.

To be honest I had forgotten I had figured for that and was pretty worried for a moment there. That's because ironically, no accuracy-boosting gimmicks help in that situation.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

bahamut posted:

Always Moving First: Straight up, it seems like a silly restriction. Presumably there are underlying mechanical reasons as to why you can't attack and then move, but in our brief experience I never really saw why.

The main obvious reason for this is to reduce the possibility of kiting - hitting somebody, then moving out of their attack range (a dominant tactic in early editions of Exalted). While it's not as much of an issue with the mission restrictions and map we were working with, but I'd be surprised if this isn't why. Generally since "keep the Angel away from NERV" is almost always the goal, you can't just run the angel in circles in this particular game, but it at least makes it harder to do sniper builds that just run away all day and use movement range to avoid being attacked entirely.

Designing Unit-02 was a bit tough because honestly, it wasn't intended as specialized and Battle Century G really pushes one towards having a specialized role. I'm nooot really happy with how Secret Equipment works, it seems by the time it comes up, the fight will be either over or we'll be wishing it was over. I was trying to kludge the Beast Mode into BCG, but there may not be a good way to do that sort of thing RAW.

A lot of how Evangelion structures angel fights is tricky to do in a TRPG, since they're often "puzzle fights" - that is, many of the Angels create situations where they can't be fought directly. Going into the fray without a plan generally just slows them down. To be honest, when we first started the game, I thought picking up clues on how to beat an Angel would be a lot more important (which is why originally Pax & Noah had a brainstorming stunt). But there aren't really any RPGs that come to mind that structure fights this way - you could take a "fiction first" attitude like a lot of modern story RPGs, where maybe you need some specific action to take an angel past a certain layer. But, of course, this runs into a similar issue as a lot of investigation RPGs, where if you don't know what to do, you're just stuck. Which is a greater problem when getting stuck means getting defeated...

Though BCG handles it better than most, you still have the issue that the action economy favors the players unless the boss just has defenses strong enough to no-sell a majority of PC attacks or takes down PC mecha at a speed of about one per threshold, and neither is ideal, but it's how it would work functionally as far as I can tell. I'm honestly surprised bosses don't get multiple attacks (though there are some counterattack / auto-damage effects that serve a similar role), though I don't know precisely how you'd balance that. Of course, one way would be to stat an angel as a group of enemies where the weaker enemies are its limbs (or drone options, or controlled Eva units from another branch, or whatever) and the boss end as the core. Or an angel that's a swarm of minions around a boss core. Another is just to break from tradition and have two angels (or more?) attack at once as a way to rise the ante.

I don't mind hard fights, though not every fight needs to be a trauma-inducing nightmare, either. If you're going with the episodic nature of the original series, having some which are more routine is okay, but I'm certainly up for some very tough fights were Evangelions go down. A lot of it depends on where you see this going, of course, but I'm up for a beating as long as we have some rest or a simpler encounter inbetween. The "no hope" latter third of the the TV show is where I think it jumps the shark, but I don't mind being relentless if it's building towards something interesting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm not sure anybody's about Dylan but Rabah? I was a little confused by the post.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The same way she keeps an eye on anything else.

Or I could have just chosen my idioms poorly, gosh.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Is it okay if I hash out some last minute XP spends? Also wondering if I can pull Assisted Targeting, since I didn't realize earlier that support upgrades take utility actions.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I have... 14 XP, as far as I can count between the OOC and IC threads. Let's see.

Pax and Noah are the easy part. Let's up Charm from 3 to 5 (9 CP) as the twins try and open up more to their fellow pilots, and let's take Showing Off (Presence) for 5 CP, for a total of 14 CP spent.

There are two issues going on with Unit-02, the first being that I have to figure out whether or not to keep Assisted Targeting (now that I know it takes an action, oops), the second being is that their allotment of Secret Equipment turns out to be technically constructed incorrectly (due to The Beast being an internal upgrade and an invalid option for such). Right now the main issue is figuring out out if there's a way to translate Beast Mode in Battle Century G. Transformation isn't really robust enough for that sort of thing, and in general the options for it seem really underwhelming - I could do a half-assed thematic version where I just switch between being a Terrain Specialist, but there's no way to work in The Beast as a sometimes thing. I might just have to dump it or shift things around conceptually, I'll try and finalize stuff tomorrow.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rebuild of Taylors 2.0

pre:
Pax & Noah Victorious Taylor

Genre Reason:	Discover the secrets of the Evangelions.
Genre Typecast:	Arrogant Ace(s)
Genre Bane:	"We can handle this ourselves."

Attributes:	Fitness 6	Intellect 4	Charm 5
		Awareness 7	Willpower 7	Resources 2

Skills:		Athletics, Combat, Resisting Interrogation (Deception),
		Showing Off (Presence), Stealth
Traits:		Ingenious, Jack of all Trades, Jaded
Deathblows:	Finishing Blow, Sweeping Assault
Anomaly:	Twins
Genre Powers*:	My Style is Impetuous (Pax), Trump Card (Pax/Noah),
		You Can Do Better Than That (Noah)

Attributes:	Might 6		Guard 6		Threshold 6
		Energy 4	Systems 4	Speed 8

Upgrades:	Assistant (core), Reactive Booster (legs),
		The Beast (core), Transformation (core, Speed <> Might)

Weapons:	Assault Rifle (arms), Chainblade (arms)

* Genre powers vary based on pilot(s) available.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, BCG essentially separates pilots from their mecha stats almost entirely. The only thing the pilot determines, as far as I can recall, is what genre powers you get access to. I imagine the intent is to let you make your pilot however you like and not be punished when you suit up because you're playing a lawyer instead of a commando (or the traditional "kid who falls into a mecha and somehow wins all the fights"). But it does feel weird that your character's superlative Willpower or knowledge of tactics doesn't particularly key in.

Also, I don't think losing threshold makes you test for Willpower, I think that's only for Plot Armor, which is outside of mecha only. Mecha lose Threshold instead. When you lose a layer of Threshold, you choose an area of your mech to be maimed, along with whatever associated systems you have there, and there's no test involved. In the case of 7 damage, that'd be an odd value, so the player (bahamut) would choose which area to maim, then gain a Genre Point for losing their first layer of Threshold.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Battle Century Z SRD is out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, it's really not clear at any point. Are maimed areas "unmaimed" when you restore a layer, or is it persistent? Presumably the same layer can't be "remaimed" unless it recovers- ugh.

This might be worth an e-mail to the writer, though. Some things were cleared up in the newest SRD for BCG (it actually states Guard is the defensive attribute for mechs, for starters) but this doesn't seem to be one of them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Happy (post) anniversary on the past year of Evangelion! I had something commissioned to celebrate. :toot:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

One year, jesus christ.

Given that most games I join are dead in a month or two, I think it's great!

On an unrelated note, could I get a better description on what the enemy mech is doing? Or at least a roll regarding that?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Not really even that. Engaging does nothing in that case presuming they're all using the same model, but no idea if that's the case. But if it is, it prevents me from trying to block to stop the one I'm fighting short of somehow annihilating it. Suppressing doesn't work either in that case. The system can't be crippled because it's internal, so maiming areas has no effect, which feels a bit silly after maiming both the legs and torso, but there you have it. So there's not much to be done tactically other than just trying to throw as much damage as possible at them, as far as I can tell.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

There was the unwritten question where out not we can respec with Battle Century Z as it is, as well.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, nobody's attacked them. I generally only list traits in poses once they've been reduced.

(Also, I meant to declare Reactive Booster as usual, for +4 to defense.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, I get the division between mecha and pilots is intentional. The thing is Evangelion - at least as conventionally structured - mostly has pilots facing social scenarios between mecha scenarios. Battle Century G presumes a sort of double procedural game, where you have things to take care of in both modes.

The way the mecha design rules sit could be clearer. The main issue is just that how useful your mecha attributes are is highly dependent on your build - it's possible to invest a lot into Energy, Systems, or Speed and have exceedingly little to do with them - and that isn't made clear. I mean, I puzzled it out, but Might, Guard, and Threshold are your basic win stats and have a lot to do with how successful you are. The various systems vary wildly in efficacy on your build as a result. There's a decent amount of system mastery involved, and finding the right balance of spending of attributes vs. systems is tough. I think I found it, but I think some folks overspent on systems, which runs into the trouble of redundancy.

The systems lean mecha towards being specialized, which makes sense for an RPG party but ends up being weird in Evangelion, where mecha are generally generic save for what weapons they bear. I think adding in BCZ will help, as it has some more generalized options for systems.

How dice work is a little obfuscated, but basically if you get more than one or two advantages, you should probably convert them to flat +2s on your roll. In fact, if you're just going on averages, any advantage over the first should be converted to a flat +2. (Granted, the game should just do this for you, but it doesn't point it out in the SRD.) In general, it may feel swingy, but at the same time getting advantage once or twice should reliably give you big rolls. The big swinginess comes, of course, when you don't have advantage...

In general, I really like the genre powers, but I wish there was more reliability to them; it's possible to use some and get a null result if your dice are bad, as I just dealt with. Overall they are varied and there are a lot of them, though, and the generic ones cover a lot of bases - but it does make it easy to forget those basic options.

As far as Duels go- no, it's not random whether or not they start. When you Engage, you get to make an attack, but you move into and start a Duel whether or not it hits. Getting out of a Duel requires them to Disengage - which takes their full action, which is definitely a penalty. Unless the one Disengaging is faster, a dedicated duelist can just re-Engage and attack them again, which means the escapee just effectively wasted their action. If you have the Duelist Model, you even get a free attack when they Disengage and an advantage on melee attacks, which is huge (it's like getting a +3 on your Might). Duelist Model is ridiculously good if you're dedicating yourself to melee. Slippery Chassis counters that entirely, unfortunately, which is what we were just dealing with.

In general I think BCG is really well thought out, but it's a system that's heavily reliant on system mastery, which is a big potential issue compared to something like FATE, where it's hard to do anything too disastrously. (Though, bear in mind the twins had a much, much more dominant build in FATE, so YMMV.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

In general enemies shouldn't be repeatedly disengaging with you willy-nilly. Unless they're significantly faster than you, they're just setting themselves up for a free attack (or two, if you have Duelist Model). It's not a trap option: it may not have the effect you're looking for, but an enemy shouldn't Disengage unless they have some tactical advantage they're setting up, because it's a bad choice to make on its own.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The Deleter posted:

It doesn't matter what should be happening. In this last fight the enemies were were disengaging repeatedly, and it didn't help that we forgot the bonus attacks from Duelist Mode. I really doubt they'd have made a difference. The effect I wanted was to keep enemies in a Duel because they'd be punished for trying to leave, and it didn't happen.

Well, if they all had Slippery Chassis, they don't need to Disengage to walk away from a duel, they just... can use normal movement, unfortunately. :( And it won't trigger Duelist Model's bonus attacks because they don't (technically) ever have to use the Disengage action.

Which on its own, I don't think is a huge issue, since the point value of the two advantages evens out, but when every enemy in a given encounter has it, it's definitely going to frustrate those who picked up Duelist Mode. When our goal is to stop the enemy and we literally don't have the capability to do so (short of foreseeing this and just alpha striking with genre powers and hoping to get lucky), there's a big issue here.

Of course, we've had to sit on The Beast through every fight we've been in AFAIK, which is crummy, but the way it's designed it's not advantageous unless you take big damage, so Unit-02 has just... had 20 points sitting around. But that's something I'd be looking at if we do a rebuild.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

In general I like BCG, but I think it suffers a bit in that there's no way to "go loud" and do the kind of ridiculous nonsense Evangelions pull in the series. You can approximate it, but they don't have the sort of plot device elements they have in the series, for better or worse.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, one of the things about Evangelion vs. RPGs is that unlike some series, the Evangelions are on a basic level more or less the same and are only really differentiated by their loadout, whereas RPGs love to have specific roles for characters. I'd prefer BCG to strike because BCG only really has implied roles, where Strike! is profoundly role-based. I'm not sure how some classes (Necromancer? The Buddies? Summoner?) would map in Evangelion without starting to stray very heavily from the anime (which isn't necessarily bad, but we'd be going off in a rather alternate direction).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

AdEva gives me hives just thinking about it.

• Locked thread