Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Contact: the movie did away with a lot of the novel's sci-fi cruft (holograms, orbital hotels, the retarded fingernail painting machine), the secret code was much better (phase modulation is supposed to be a big uncrackable secret?), and fewer characters = better because it's not like the extra mission members in the novel were particularly useful or interesting. sad that the movie lost the detail where god is dead/absentee and some unexplainable astronomical phenomena are actually space engineers working to fix the laws of the universe to stave off heat death etc. the movie's Machine much more spectacular but a little too pedestrian, doesn't look alien at all

The Night Flier: the short story's ending tries so hard to be grotesque it just ends up silly. much better ending in the movie, more satisfying. movie way more successful at arguing the tabloid journalist is a monster & a vampire himself

christ I could make a whole post on stephen king. how could he massacre brilliant surreal horror story Trucks into whatever the gently caress Maximum Overdrive was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

hackbunny posted:

christ I could make a whole post on stephen king. how could he massacre brilliant surreal horror story Trucks into whatever the gently caress Maximum Overdrive was

I rushed in here to say "EVREY STEPHEN KING!", except for The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Lost World novel wasn't as good as the movie imo, despite the ending of the movie

Sphere the movie wasn't as good as the book imo

I can probably think of others, will get back to you op

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I finish the list can we make it the definitive GBS opnions and make it probatable to disagree? We should have a strong, unified front... of sharkpinions

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Fight Club and American Psycho are the two real stand outs to me of films that were better than the books.

There's thousands of examples of books that were better, but I will just say Ender's Game so as not to poo poo up your thread.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Professor Shark posted:

I rushed in here to say "EVREY STEPHEN KING!", except for The Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption.

Maximum Overdrive is all on him. the goblin truck is fuckin rad though

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

"Maximum Overdrive (1986) - Trivia - IMDb posted:

Stephen King, being a former cocaine addict, later admitted that he was "coked out of my mind" the entire time he was making this picture and often didn't know what he was doing. He remarked that he'd like to try directing again someday, this time sober.

holy lol

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I want to see a Dark Tower movie or some kind of big dick HBO show. That could possibly own

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The movie of the mist is better than the book. Such a great film!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

!Klams posted:

The movie of the mist is better than the book. Such a great film!

lol I actually facepalmed irl when I watched this. Northern Maine dialogue is okay to read, but when you hear "normal" actors trying to imitate it then it just sounds the worst

Such a bad movie

roikun777
May 19, 2007

hedgehog's dilemma
RING 2

I'd say that the book was better but that wouldn't really be fair or even technically accurate, because the movie ring 2, based on ringu 2, is not based in any way on Spiral, the actual sequel to Ring.

Dude I would inject myself with necrotic venom if Hollywood could be bothered to reboot Ring and actually base it on the books. Spiral is my favorite, weird curse embedded in DNA, Sadako getting all mixed up with small pox, the 'will' of viruses, and horrible gross resurrection and the begging of the end for the human race.

Hot poo poo motherfucker. Loop takes the whole thing to another level, but spiral is my fav

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
The Ruins was a god awful movie but the book was okay.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
since we're on stephen king stuff, apt pupil was far better as a novella than a movie, though the movie did have a couple cool scenes.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
Michael Crichton's Sphere was a pretty cool book with a unique premise that they decided to completely ignore when making the film, basically.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
i read apollo 13 the novelisation and enjoyed it but it did have the movie poster on the front so they were probably related

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
A Clockwork Orange was better than the book, not the least of which was not having to parse out that stupid dialect. It also had a better ending than the book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I have no interest to ever read the Hunger Games novels but the films are very well developed and interesting, even without the "for YA" qualifier.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

utterlycorrupt posted:

since we're on stephen king stuff, apt pupil was far better as a novella than a movie, though the movie did have a couple cool scenes.

Nazis and killing birds rocks

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Children of men movie was way better than the book.

Also I enjoyed the book "Jumper" when I was a teen.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
First Blood was better than the book imo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

High Fidelity was better as a film.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

computer parts posted:

I have no interest to ever read the Hunger Games novels but the films are very well developed and interesting, even without the "for YA" qualifier.
They're not well-developed, but they are good. Everything is drawn in broad strokes and the audience fills in the blanks in the setting. The films pull it off through good casting and directing.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
Lord of the rings movies cut out most of the wanky bullshit no one cares about.

Also starship troopers is the best example.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Schwarbage posted:

Also starship troopers is the best example.

Agreed, but best example of which being better?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The American The Ring is better than the original Japanese novel

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Field of Dreams is better than Shoeless Joe

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
A Boy and His Dog the movie is better than A Boy and His Dog the book.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Im reading No Country For Old Men and so far i think the movie is better or at least as good as the book.

The Road was much better as a book though

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Magic Christian the movie is better than The Magic Christian the book.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Grate gastby!!!!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I haven't read the book that Terms of Endearment was based on but I doubt it could be much better than the movie if at all.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

monkey posted:

Agreed, but best example of which being better?

I don't think you can necessarily cast Starship Troopers as one being better than the other. They are completely different and entirely unrelated aside from names and some trivial plot points. The film is, however, the best example of how equality for women leads to boobies everywhere.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i don't think there's actually ever been a movie better than the book. well, maybe fight club.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

i don't think there's actually ever been a movie better than the book. well, maybe fight club.

well now that i think about it, there's some:

donnie brasco the movie is better than the book
the latter cape fear is better than the book
the thing is probably better than the book
blade runner is maybe a teeny weeny bit better than the book, altho the book is great too
stand by me is better than the novella
die hard is def better than the book
one flew over the cuckoos nest is maybe better than the book

no country for old man is one of my fav movies but honestly no movie adaptation can ever touch mccarthy. he's such a great writer.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

sorry you tiny brain morons need books and movies to be entertained.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

jarofpiss posted:

sorry you tiny brain morons need books and movies to be entertained.

what do u suggest

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

what is stephen king's deal with gay hobos btw

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Dyna Soar posted:

what do u suggest

Anime, duh.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

hackbunny posted:

The Night Flier: the short story's ending tries so hard to be grotesque it just ends up silly. much better ending in the movie, more satisfying. movie way more successful at arguing the tabloid journalist is a monster & a vampire himself

I liked The Night Flier movie just because Miguel Ferrer is awesome and he's really good at playing rear end in a top hat characters.

Anybody remember The Lawnmower Man and how it had literally nothing to do with King's short story and he had to sue to get his name removed. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
one flew oevr the kookoos nest

• Locked thread