Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
So. Some of you may know, but I built a 91 twinturbo 300zx about as far as I could. bored, wiseco pistons, eagle rods, dual gt28rses, os giken carbon carbon clutch, the list goes on and on. It was one of the fastest 300s around.

My friend did this.
http://imgur.com/a/4Wpkx?gallery

Chassis is hosed, but my monster engine just lost its ICs and rad, no biggie. So here I am, with this kickass engine, and I kinda dont want to just slap it in another 300.

I want to do something new.
I want to find a 60s or 70s American car that can hold a big block (so I know the wide rear end vg30dett will fit.)
Imagine, a 68 Mustang. A 69 Chevelle. A goddamn Nova. How many heads would catch fire seeing this sacrilege, a 3L jap twinturbo engine in classic muscle, making far more power than almost any american lump I could use. I know a guy that has a th400 on one of these engines in a 300, so I know thatll work.

I'll buy a roller, or at worst one with a blown engine, so I wont be ruining anything special, in my mind.

Thoughts? Better suggestions? Mad at even the idea? Let me hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Go for it. Find a roller chassis Dart, or Nova, or something and put a smooth sounding Japanese engine in it.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

MustardFacial posted:

Go for it. Find a roller chassis Dart, or Nova, or something and put a smooth sounding Japanese engine in it.

my engine is far from smooth, but a Nova with a .060 over vg30dett at >7krpm with two turbos flowing over 700cfm each would be a loving noise that i dont think a Nova has ever made. And embarassing real big block Novas would tickle me in a way that nothing else could

Any car that can hold an old big block should fit my engine well, its a wide motherfucker. I think it would also fit where Ford mod motors went, 4.6/5.4s. How about a TT V6 Terminator Cobra for purist rage. Or maybe get one in a Regal and just INSIST its a Grand National.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 13, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm gonna vote to drop it into a Chevette, if you want to drop it into a domestic.

It's a little heavy for a compact car of its era, but still really light (a bit over 1800 lbs in base model trim, vs the 3200-3600 in the Z32), rear wheel drive, and has an engine bay that can (barely) hold a big block V8. It'll probably try to kill you every time you drive it, but it'll be worth it.

e: if you're going to piss off GN purists, drop in a diesel and crank up the boost. :getin:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Drop it into a C3 Corvette.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
'67 Nova. Make sure you re-chrome all the brightwork, no stealth here. Paint it in a nice, bright, 70s hot rod color.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I know a nice '86 300ZX donor chassis. Only some light frame rust here and there.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Adiabatic posted:

I know a nice '86 300ZX donor chassis. Only some light frame rust here and there.

I'm not sure Method Loser is euphoric enough for that

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Raluek posted:

I'm not sure Method Loser is euphoric enough for that

I seem to recall this being tried, a Z32 turbo motor in a Z31, and it was all tears. I just want something with a black hole of an engine bay that also will piss people off. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Method Loser posted:

I seem to recall this being tried, a Z32 turbo motor in a Z31, and it was all tears. I just want something with a black hole of an engine bay that also will piss people off. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK

Muscle truck.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Raluek posted:

Muscle truck.

The Syclone did it better than I ever could

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mid 90s to mid 00s Volvo wagon.

E: Ford owned Volvo from 2000 to 2010, it counts

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Method Loser posted:

my engine is far from smooth, but a Nova with a .060 over vg30dett at >7krpm with two turbos flowing over 700cfm each would be a loving noise that i dont think a Nova has ever made. And embarassing real big block Novas would tickle me in a way that nothing else could

Any car that can hold an old big block should fit my engine well, its a wide motherfucker. I think it would also fit where Ford mod motors went, 4.6/5.4s. How about a TT V6 Terminator Cobra for purist rage. Or maybe get one in a Regal and just INSIST its a Grand National.

Oh! Dump it into a tri 5 Bel air, or a camaro

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Rip out a numbers matching aluminum big block yenko camaro and stick it in there. Refuse to sell the motor to the next owner.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Pretty much anything big and old should have room for it. Of course you could go full on wacky races and rear mount it in an original Mini,

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Less of a "troll" and more of an insane, hilarious surprise would be a Mustang II or Pinto. People have apparently fit engines as big as 460s in them.

Most feasible is probably like a late 60s-early 70s Chevy Nova, IIRC the prices on those are still pretty reasonable.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Put it in a BMW E34

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.
I don't think your dad is going to feel much like buying another hot rod this soon after you totaled his first one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CORVAIR

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Roadkill need a new motor for the Gremlin, just saying.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What about a kit, like a Factory Five Cobra or something?

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Lotus 7. There is no way it will fit. Just cut away the body that interferes with the engine. You might have a couple square feet of body left. It would look crazy (in a good way).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
late 70's Cadillac

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IROC-Z

Z will stand for the Z engine :getin:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5014183715.html

1987 AMC Eagle. Bonus points if you figure out how to keep the 4WD system.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

75-79 X-body, in whichever GM corporate flavour you think looks coolest/is most readily available. I always liked the Skylark.
It's one of the better malaise-era platforms, they're fairly cheap and there's a good bit of room to work with under the hood.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

leica posted:

IROC-Z

Then you could have sick rear end t tops and badge it as an IROC-300ZX :allears:

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

A C4 Corvette or some kind of old Regal can probably be had pretty cheap, and a twin turbo V6 would probably improve both of those.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ardemia posted:

Then you could have sick rear end t tops and badge it as an IROC-300ZX :allears:

IROC-ZX with the x in bright red. It would a cheapish option for a heart transplant, but it wouldn't piss people off as much as it being in an old nova or chevelle. But whatever you do decide to do, I salute you, you glorious bastard. Sticking a high powered Japanese I6 or v8 into an old muscle car is a dream project of mine. Or an ecotec engine. Just so long as it will really annoy the greybeards by being "the wrong engine" while being better in every way that the "correct" option.

Also, if you didn't go for a muscle car, a model t or a hotrod with that motor would be awesome.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Plymouth Prowler

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

razorscooter posted:

A C4 Corvette or some kind of old Regal can probably be had pretty cheap, and a twin turbo V6 would probably improve both of those.

A modern 4 cylinder will match, if not destroy, the power that they came with from the factory. At least in HP. The V8 will put down a bit more torque.

My 1980 F-150 had about 150 hp from the factory... from a 351M V8, and by the time I got it it had almost zero oil pressure and told knock knock jokes all day. The 2.2L Ecotec in my current car has 140 HP, and gets at least triple the MPG (my best tank is 35 MPG, city tanks are typically 24 MPG - the F-150 got 3-6 MPG city, ~5-8 highway, best tank was 12 MPG).

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
ignore everything like practicality and instead go for casting the widest net for people to piss off. mustang cadillac or nova.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 15, 2015

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Cat Terrist posted:

Drop it into a C3 Corvette.

Actually this is probably the best pure troll, plus if it's made after 1972 it will be 100% worthless anyway so no harm done.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
People keep throwing Novas around. If you need measurements, let me know. Depending on how wide that engine is, you may want to look for something a bit bigger. A-body maybe?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nissan V6 in an RX7 would be the ultimate troll because you would piss off the RADL and the V8 swap people.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

leica posted:

IROC-Z

This right here.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Whatever you do, get a car that has aftermarket support. If I didn't have a gas tank out of a 74 AMC in a ball of crazy I would have had my Bricklin running two years ago.

Get a Mustang or a GM product and call it good. You can slap in a pre-made gas tank set up for FI in an hour. I'd avoid AMC products for this reason unless you're really good at fabrication and engineering.

Edit: unless of course you don't care about fitting a fuel cell, in which case do something like this:

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 15, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm gonna go against the grain and say something german, like a mercedes SEC or BMW 633i. Or something hilariously inappropriate like an old jag XJ6.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

leica posted:

IROC-Z

I'm gonna nth the IROC-Z. No real reason other than it would amuse me. A swap into a fox body mustang would be great too, because then you piss off those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Put it in a Regal.

• Locked thread