Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Someone once told me this bizarre theory that everything belongs to one (or more I think) of four basic categories. He said that basically everything is either Toys, Games, Candy, or Jewelry. I think it's a pretty strange way of looking at things and I'm not sure what it's supposed to prove but I can't think of anything that couldn't be categorized as Toys, Games, Candy, or Jewelry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Strontium 90.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
A hammer?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
That is dumb youre dumb

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Basically any tool, any food that isn't candy, animals, air...

this theory sucks OP

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Frankenstyle posted:

Strontium 90.

Toys or Jewelry depending on how it is used.

Toys.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Basically any tool, any food that isn't candy, animals, air...

this theory sucks OP

Toys, Candy, combination of Toys and Candy whose parts are sometimes used as Jewelry, Candy.

roikun777
May 19, 2007

hedgehog's dilemma
Tools are toys, all food is candy, living beings are composed of a varying amount of each of the four elements. Stop trying to outsmart the system, bros

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Humans and animals can belong to any of the categories depending on the circumstances because they are sentient and animate.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
Back in the day, your friend would be a preeminent scientific mind and we would all know his name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-O5dZ9BLLc

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the moon

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

a bay posted:

Toys or Jewelry depending on how it is used.

Toys.

Toys, Candy, combination of Toys and Candy whose parts are sometimes used as Jewelry, Candy.

Ok, I guess we are working off of different definition of these words because how in the gently caress is air candy

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i have a theory

op is stupid

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
What does booze fall under?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tampon

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

existential fear

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
If you put ketchup on a hot dog it is Candy. If you put ketchup on your shirt it is Jewelry. If you put ketchup in a squirt gun then you have a Toy full of Candy that can be used to play a Game of giving people unwanted Jewelry.

roikun777
May 19, 2007

hedgehog's dilemma

Murphy Brownback posted:

Ok, I guess we are working off of different definition of these words because how in the gently caress is air candy

Air is candy in the very loosest of sense, as in like, you consume it so it is candy. Actually I don't really think that air exists so it prolly does not fall into the four elements, perhaps we should add a fifth sort of 'outsider' element: ghosts

Toys games candy jewelry and sometimes ghosts

roikun777
May 19, 2007

hedgehog's dilemma
Moon is a jewelry, clearly

Booze is all four

Tampon is toy

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Substance (οὐσία, ousia, essence or substance).[6] Substance is that which cannot be predicated of anything or be said to be in anything. Hence, this particular man or that particular tree are substances. Later in the text, Aristotle calls these particulars “primary substances”, to distinguish them from secondary substances, which are universals and can be predicated. Hence, Socrates is a primary substance, while man is a secondary substance. Man is predicated of Socrates, and therefore all that is predicated of man is predicated of Socrates.
Quantity (ποσόν, poson, how much). This is the extension of an object, and may be either discrete or continuous. Further, its parts may or may not have relative positions to each other. All medieval discussions about the nature of the continuum, of the infinite and the infinitely divisible, are a long footnote to this text. It is of great importance in the development of mathematical ideas in the medieval and late Scholastic period. Examples: two cubits long, number, space, (length of) time.
Qualification or quality (ποιόν, poion, of what kind or quality). This determination characterizes the nature of an object. Examples: white, black, grammatical, hot, sweet, curved, straight.
Relative or relation (πρός τι, pros ti, toward something). This is the way one object may be related to another. Examples: double, half, large, master, knowledge.
Where or place (ποῦ, pou, where). Position in relation to the surrounding environment. Examples: in a marketplace, in the Lyceum.
When or time (πότε, pote, when). Position in relation to the course of events. Examples: yesterday, last year.
Being-in-a-position, posture, attitude (κεῖσθαι, keisthai, to lie). The examples Aristotle gives indicate that he meant a condition of rest resulting from an action: ‘Lying’, ‘sitting’, ‘standing’. Thus position may be taken as the end point for the corresponding action. The term is, however, frequently taken to mean the relative position of the parts of an object (usually a living object), given that the position of the parts is inseparable from the state of rest implied.
Having or state, condition (ἔχειν, echein, to have or be). The examples Aristotle gives indicate that he meant a condition of rest resulting from an affection (i.e. being acted on): ‘shod’, ‘armed’. The term is, however, frequently taken to mean the determination arising from the physical accoutrements of an object: one's shoes, one's arms, etc. Traditionally, this category is also called a habitus (from Latin habere, to have).
Doing or action (ποιεῖν, poiein, to make or do). The production of change in some other object (or in the agent itself qua other).
Being affected or affection (πάσχειν, paschein, to suffer or undergo). The reception of change from some other object (or from the affected object itself qua other). Aristotle's name paschein for this category has traditionally been translated into English as "affection" and "passion" (also "passivity"), easily misinterpreted to refer only or mainly to affection as an emotion or to emotional passion. For action he gave the example, ‘to lance’, ‘to cauterize’; for affection, ‘to be lanced’, ‘to be cauterized.’ His examples make clear that action is to affection as the active voice is to the passive voice — as acting is to being acted on.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
clearly moon is jewelry

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

wha'ts gbs

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm at the office right now so I don't have time to go over the counter examples individually but all of the ones posted so far have been Toys, Games, Candy, or Jewelry.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
HOW THE gently caress DO YOU ACCOUNT FOR RING POPS OP?!!?!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
what about poo poo

do u think poo poo is candy, op?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
When op eats poo poo it is candy.
When op smears poo poo all over face its jewelry
When op rolls around in poo poo it is a game
When op plays with poo poo it is a toy

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
OP this is stupid and so are you and your friend and basically you are both gay and retarded. Probably together lmao

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Atom.

Explain.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
huge holes in this theory op you loving mongoloid

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
what about a big rock, like a boulder

it is too big to wear
it is too big to play with
it is too big to eat

it is none of the stuff op mentioned

op sucks

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's fire water earth wind

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

When op eats poo poo it is candy.
When op smears poo poo all over face its jewelry
When op rolls around in poo poo it is a game
When op plays with poo poo it is a toy

I don't do any of that stuff but this guy gets it.

Dyna Soar posted:

what about a big rock, like a boulder

it is too big to wear
it is too big to play with
it is too big to eat

it is none of the stuff op mentioned

op sucks

This sounds like manlet talk to me.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

It's fire water earth wind

Yeah... in cartoons.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

a bay posted:

Yeah... in cartoons.

It's the classical elements, actually, furthemore

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Fear.

Explain.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

a bay posted:

Yeah... in cartoons.

That's the world i live in

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Kanthulhu posted:

Fear.

Explain.

Emotions are the Jewelry of the psyche, and the good ones are Candy to many, although unscrupulous people will use them as Toys and play Games with them if you are not careful.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
What category would Tumblr fall under?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

circ dick soleil posted:

What category would Tumblr fall under?

Jewelry to SJWs, and Candy to mock thread posters.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I think there should be a fifth category, pure and utter garbage, for Tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Breast cancer, specifically a tit tumor.

• Locked thread