Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
i dont like any teams, including my own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Who was the last sophomore to win a Conn Smythe?

Malkin won it his third season. I think that might be the earliest a player has won it in recent memory.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
According to Craig Custance the Lightning have 18 draft picks in the next two drafts. Must be nice to have an awesome team and a massive amount of draft picks.

The Pens for comparison have no first, third, or fourth this year, and no second rounder next year. Also they suck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well if Lemieux hadn't retired once and missed like 5 years of his prime yada yada yada more Penguins cups

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think I agree. In the 10 game stretch, starting with the first loss to the Lightning, the Rangers went 6-4-0 overall. Three of those losses were all to the Lightning by a combined score of 15-7. They went 6-1-0 in the other 7 games, outscoring their opponents 26-9. While they definitely didn't have the best record going in to that first game with Tampa, they had something like 5 or 6 OT/SO losses which could have just as easily gone the other way, and the fact that they went on a huge tear after those ten seems to suggest that the team was already playing at a high level early in the season.

I think Tampa just matches up well against the Rangers, and I think they're going to win the series relatively easily assuming Bishop can play half decent the rest of the way.

Yeah Tampa seems to match up well because the Rangers main advantage is having a ton of depth everywhere in the lineup but that also happens to be Tampa's main advantage plus Tampa's star power is better.

That said I would never count out Lundqvist's ability to just steal it. Every time the Rangers are on the ropes he seems to become hockey jesus.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

tofes posted:

Remember when the Penguins traded Despres for Lovejoy what a bunch of loving idiots

I also liked trading a bunch of picks for Daniel loving Winnik instead of Jagr.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

Yzerman seems like the best choice of the three, though Bob did pull off some lopsided trades this year.

Fleecing Jim Rutherford is not an accomplishment

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Again, those are things you could say every year. Stuff like championship droughts are cared about when it's the Red Sox, but then if the White Sox win the very next year to get rid of a bigger drought it's a non-story because they don't have a massive sprawling fan base. No one gave any special attention to the Lightning/Canes/Ducks winning their first Cups, but Vancouver would be a different story.

Who would give a poo poo about Vancouver winning aside from Vancouver? I guess there'd be a smattering of stupidity from the media talking about how the cup was brought "home" but nobody else would care.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

joeburz posted:

why does that have sharp on the bottom

Sharp cucks again

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 24, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

anyone who thinks "clutch" isn't a thing has never hit a tee shot with a bunch of strangers watching

"Clutch" is basically a measure of confidence and confidence waxes and wanes over the course of playing sports. I don't think it exists in the way people think it does. Some stretches of play you have that confidence, and some stretches of play you don't, and then people attach labels to that based on whether your stretch of good play coincided with games arbitrarily deemed important. Yet whether you have that confidence or not in those important situations is mostly random and luck of the draw, especially at the highest level of sports.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

I agree also that a lot of the "clutch" narrative is misattributed or overused or straight up wrong, but that doesn't mean that there aren't players out there who it does apply to. There are, they are rare, but they exist.

It's impossible to know if they do or don't. Messier outperforming his regular season PPG could easily be considered random statistical noise. If he played 1000 playoff games I'm betting his playoff PPG would end up right around where his regular season one is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

No, but they've bet pretty hard they'll win it in the next couple years having had no first round picks in three straight years and traded a bunch of good young players.

Despite all of that they still have a good core of young players and Hank should be good for a few more years. I think they'll be fine for at least the near future.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Don't lock your thread while it's still being posted in please. I wasn't done shittalking Chicago :argh:

Seriously though it feels like their depth hasn't been that good in the playoffs from watching the games and yet statistically I couldn't be more wrong so perhaps my EYE TEST(tm) is failing me. Frankly if they advance I'd probably still pick them to beat Tampa simply because Kane and Toews are that good even if I think Tampa has the edge overall

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Cool note by Craig Button: If Tampa wins the Yzerman will have won 'Triple Gold' as a GM (WHC 07, Olympics 10), which is pretty neat since he only retired in 2006.

It's pretty amazing that he's a good gm. I expected him to be a catastrophic failure since he lacked the experience a new gm typically has when they finally get the position. Instead he's been perhaps the best gm in hockey since he got hired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

I wish I was a hockey fan sooner, so I could have watched teemu play more. You don't know what you've got until it's gone.

E: That said, I'll feel the same pain when Getzlaf and Perry finally hang them up. Who do you think will retire first?

Probably Getzlaf since he already has the appearance of someone that is 40

• Locked thread