Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
No seriously, what are the chances? I think they would scoff at capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
The chance of humanity ever settling on other planets: 0

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!
I guess that's why they are all poor and don't like in houses.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
How intelligent are them? The smarter they are the more communist they will be.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hurrrff durrr im da op, im a fuckin dumb bitch durrr i suck dicks durrrr

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk but if they are space faring they probably worked their poo poo out a while ago and will indeed lol at our primitive capitalist system

it's super inefficient if you think about it from a 'where is mankind heading and what are we doing' point of view.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Capitalism probably can't scale for space travel, mining, or terra forming, that's true. But I have a feeling they still use capital to produce non essentials on the local level.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Aliens either use a rigid caste system with morphological differences preventing social mobility, or they're insectoids with a hive mind that will wage a devastating war against us, unaware that each human they kill is an individual and not a drone commanded by a single intelligence.

edit: so they don't need an economy

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 14, 2015

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Do aliens know what cyberpunk is? Are there any cyberpunk aliens out there?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I was reading about predicable events in the universe and one of them was the deterioration of atoms protons and neutrons due to their half life (this is hilariously far into the future). All matter in the universe will turn into broken sub atomic particles. Scary poo poo, man.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
The only thing we can assume about intelligent aliens is that they'll probably be a carnivore or an omnivore. Big brains need fuel and the animal needs some use for a big brain before it figures out how to use it to make a pizza.

So "gently caress you, give me yours!" would be a familiar idea. But I'm sure social and moral advances go hand in hand with technological advances because arbitrary human concepts and universal laws of physics have a lot in common. So they'd grow out of it and would be nice.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
The aliens are all UKIP voters, and they will land on Earth and say "Oi, get off me planet ya fuckin pakis!"

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The only thing we can assume about intelligent aliens is that they'll probably be a carnivore or an omnivore. Big brains need fuel and the animal needs some use for a big brain before it figures out how to use it to make a pizza.

So "gently caress you, give me yours!" would be a familiar idea. But I'm sure social and moral advances go hand in hand with technological advances because arbitrary human concepts and universal laws of physics have a lot in common. So they'd grow out of it and would be nice.

On the flip side. Tyson thinks they would definitely be violent and out to destroy us. Simply because he assumes that they would only be after our planet for our resources such as water and carbon. They can get that stuff from asteroids and small moons that are earth like to a certain degree (maybe not even need earth conditions?). So if they are coming for us it's probably a last resort, as it's easier to rip resources from a moon no ones on then committing genocide and possibly loosing soldiers of their own in battle. If they managed to travel here and we were still on earth they would see us as primitive and wouldn't think twice about wiping us off the map of the universe.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
space travelling aliens are most likely fascists, they are the master race etc... No tainted "blood lines" etc....

Level 31 Dipshit
Jan 14, 2010
Intelligent aliens would see us as we see harmful viruses. Then eradicate us from existence. Lets hope there isn't any intelligent life out there. Communism doesn't even matter.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

On the flip side. Tyson thinks they would definitely be violent and out to destroy us. Simply because he assumes that they would only be after our planet for our resources such as water and carbon. They can get that stuff from asteroids and small moons that are earth like to a certain degree (maybe not even need earth conditions?). So if they are coming for us it's probably a last resort, as it's easier to rip resources from a moon no ones on then committing genocide and possibly loosing soldiers of their own in battle. If they managed to travel here and we were still on earth they would see us as primitive and wouldn't think twice about wiping us off the map of the universe.

Maybe they're part of a galactic civilization comprising hundreds or thousands of races and they engage in diplomatic relations with any species attempting to come up with a workable method of FTL travel because they'd rather find us first than us find them.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
everyone is making up all these fantastic scenarios without thinking of the worst possibility of all: that spacefaring races would be their species' equivalent of the goony neckbeard, exiled from their civilization for being insufferable

they land on our planet and immediately try to get us to watch their civilization's equivalent of anime, except we have to play along because if they get upset they just start vaporizing metropolitan centers as passive-aggressively as possible

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Windows 98 posted:

idk I feel like if they had the tech to travel from star to star they wouldn't need planet earth's resources. plus the asteroid belt and the various moons have just as many (if not more) resources like water/metals/whatever and it's way easier to get at.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

everyone is making up all these fantastic scenarios without thinking of the worst possibility of all: that spacefaring races would be their species' equivalent of the goony neckbeard, exiled from their civilization for being insufferable

they land on our planet and immediately try to get us to watch their civilization's equivalent of anime, except we have to play along because if they get upset they just start vaporizing metropolitan centers as passive-aggressively as possible

stupid humans are only interested in being with more technologically advanced and bipedal aliens

Ego Death
Sep 15, 2012

by Ralp
Space-faring civilizations will not be biological. They will most likely have transitioned to a digital substrate and programmed out the useless qualities that were necessary for Darwinian biological selection and survival.

They're sociopolitical system will be something totally new to us.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

texaholic posted:

space travelling aliens are most likely fascists, they are the master race etc... No tainted "blood lines" etc....

thats hot

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

idk I feel like if they had the tech to travel from star to star they wouldn't need planet earth's resources. plus the asteroid belt and the various moons have just as many (if not more) resources like water/metals/whatever and it's way easier to get at.

That's precisely why I said "if they came to earth it would be a last resort. It's easier to get these resources elsewhere"

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

But I don't have my own opinions. I just listen to star talk and pretend to know things but really am just using Mr Tyson's opinions

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Space Communism only works in EVE.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Space Communism only works in EVE.

EVE is basically as libertarian as it gets. The only government outside of the AI secure space is just bands of people getting together and enforcing their will through force.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Due to the limitations in communication and travel, any space-faring civilization would have to be extremely decentralized.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fister Roboto posted:

Due to the limitations in communication and travel, any space-faring civilization would have to be extremely decentralized.

How do you know what limits they have? Maybe they've figured out how to bore holes in spacetime to create a single use wormhole to travel through.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

EVE is basically as libertarian as it gets. The only government outside of the AI secure space is just bands of people getting together and enforcing their will through force.

The government of a video game is the developer.

Much like the "free market," if you look at it as freedom it's because you've unquestioningly accepted the rules.

on topic: One thing we can know about interstellar wanderers is that they'd be a very careful race - a requirement for the near immortality required to travel long distances.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

How do you know what limits they have? Maybe they've figured out how to bore holes in spacetime to create a single use wormhole to travel through.

If they had then we'd have heard of them by now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fansy posted:

The government of a video game is the developer.

Much like the "free market," if you look at it as freedom it's because you've unquestioningly accepted the rules.

right but in this case the developer more or less lets poo poo happen on its own and goes 'lol' when people get mad about it

it's not like WoW where a GM would come fix it if you got scammed or something

Fister Roboto posted:

maybe they have no reason to come to a backwater like Earth

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sserious chat though all these pop scientists speculating about what spacefaring aliens or intelligent AIs or whatever would be like need to shut the hell up and stop trolling for clickbait.

Anything at that level would be so far away from anything we're familiar with that it's like a horse and cart driver wondering about safety equipment for a BMW plant.

E: hmm yes they must use big water wheels to power the conveyors so workers would wear full plate armour in case they got caught in the gears. this would also be useful when they got attacked as the only reason to build such a big factory would be a war with the french.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 14, 2015

Ego Death
Sep 15, 2012

by Ralp
Real talk so-called ETs are actually extradimensional beings that will come to us in the form of big-titted blondes landing in a UFO to sex us

as part of the end times deception and triggering the great apostasy in the Catholic church as foretold by the 3rd secret of Fatima.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Y0knr6XBQ

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot

Fister Roboto posted:

how? sound doesn't travel through the vacuum of space. :smug:

Morkies
Apr 19, 2015

by zen death robot
real talk though. any 'intelligent' aliens worthy of the name will realize the obvious truth of mormonism as clearly and uncontroversially as we realize the truth of 2+2=4

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
full communism now, OP

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
they will most prob be space-moslems come to kill us all in honor of space mohammed OP

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

obviously 100%. close thread.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

dad gay. so what posted:

hurrrff durrr im da op, im a fuckin dumb bitch durrr i suck dicks durrrr

why are you so mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1