Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
What happened?

I recently quit my job. It was uneventful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

rich white faglord
May 13, 2015

by Ralp
yeah, I gave them my 2 weeks notice and then left for a better paying position

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I recently quit my job and it was cool and good.

I asked for a lot more money in August and was told things were tight. I then asked for a change in organizational structure in March and was told it wouldn't work for them so I gave notice. On my last day my boss offered me more money than I had asked for in August and was willing to make the organizational changes I had requested. I passed and will be taking classes over the summer and starting in the Fall attending university full time. I will probably continue on to do my PhD so I am really happy that they weren't willing to give me what I wanted because it lit a fire under me to do what I really wanted to do. I will graduate from college in three years which happens to be the same as my daughter.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
yep 3 times. once was at a best buy and I gave thema 1 day notice 2 days before black friday :v:

the other 2 times were real jobs though and it was amicable, I worked harder than usual my last 2 weeks, and I got good recs because of it.

never been fired... yet

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

nope. im still bussing tables at the same place ive always been since i was 16

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ive never even had a job

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

Demonachizer posted:

I recently quit my job and it was cool and good.

I asked for a lot more money in August and was told things were tight. I then asked for a change in organizational structure in March and was told it wouldn't work for them so I gave notice. On my last day my boss offered me more money than I had asked for in August and was willing to make the organizational changes I had requested. I passed and will be taking classes over the summer and starting in the Fall attending university full time. I will probably continue on to do my PhD so I am really happy that they weren't willing to give me what I wanted because it lit a fire under me to do what I really wanted to do. I will graduate from college in three years which happens to be the same as my daughter.

What is yr PhDs gon be in?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

When I was 20 or so I worked for a bank and I walked in and told my boss I quit b/c he looked like Freddy Kruger and he was real mad about it but I didn't care b/c I was on drugs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spent one day at a telemarketing gig and simply never showed up again. One of my co-workers chit-chat with me a bit and the manager took her back to give her a talking-to. I knew someone as douchey as me would never last long nor would I get anything out of it for my time, so I left.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

rich white faglord posted:

better pay, better benefits, better hours.
Match it or goodbye.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Neukoln19 posted:

What is yr PhDs gon be in?

Either Computer Science or Computational Biology. I have to feel out whether I have enough of an interest in Bio poo poo to do something so specialized. I will major in Math and CS for BS with at least a minor in Bio. If I decide I want to do Computational Biology then I will stay for four years in undergrad instead of 3 and do a Bio major as well.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I stopped showing up to blockbuster after my douche bag frat bro manager announced his plan to stop store theft: watch all the black people (aka 90% of our customers)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

haljordan posted:

I stopped showing up to blockbuster after my douche bag frat bro manager announced his plan to stop store theft: watch all the black people (aka 90% of our customers)

uh soudns like a statistically sound plan of action lol

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
hey wait i saw another post in some other thread where someone said "I quit my job because of a nervous breakdown but im still seeing mad max"

OP we need explanation

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Either you've been fired from every job you've had or you've quit a job

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Bishop posted:

Either you've been fired from every job you've had or you've quit a job

ahem

poopzilla posted:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

uh soudns like a statistically sound plan of action lol

actually one time i was at the counter and this squirrely lookin crackhead comes in with a lovely backpack. so i politely ask if i can hold onto it while he browses. he complies and then proceeds to run over to a shelf, grab an armload of movies, and just bounce the gently caress out. i just stood there with my mouth hanging open. least i got a sweet crackhead backpack (there was no crack in it)

also that same manager later got shitcanned for showing up drunk to inventory one night (this was after i had quit)

rich white faglord
May 13, 2015

by Ralp

haljordan posted:

actually one time i was at the counter and this squirrely lookin crackhead comes in with a lovely backpack. so i politely ask if i can hold onto it while he browses. he complies and then proceeds to run over to a shelf, grab an armload of movies, and just bounce the gently caress out. i just stood there with my mouth hanging open. least i got a sweet crackhead backpack (there was no crack in it)

also that same manager later got shitcanned for showing up drunk to inventory one night (this was after i had quit)

well, what WAS in it?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

i gave them 2 weeks for a better offer and they fired me on the 2nd to last day because a random performance review happened on the day before my last

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

karma_coma posted:

When I was 20 or so I worked for a bank and I walked in and told my boss I quit b/c he looked like Freddy Kruger and he was real mad about it but I didn't care b/c I was on drugs.

lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

well, what WAS in it?

Just a lot of empty room for stolen blockbuster DVDs

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

haljordan posted:

it was still statistically sound. he'd be 90% right, at least

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

it was still statistically sound. he'd be 90% right, at least

Oh the crackhead was black so his strategy was probably 95% sound

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

hey wait i saw another post in some other thread where someone said "I quit my job because of a nervous breakdown but im still seeing mad max"

OP we need explanation

I had a nervous breakdown and left. I'm going to have my psychiatrist write hr a letter saying I'm insane. All the mental drama occurred in my car and at my house, so as far as my co workers are concerned I just got up and left at lunch.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
It was awesome

Ego Death
Sep 15, 2012

by Ralp
I quit a legit career as of two weeks ago because I hated it and combined with alcoholism and depression it was killing me.

I'm spending the next few months pursuing the most laughable money-making venture I can conjure.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes the store you work at goes out of business and closes.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I used to all the time when I was a retarded kid, then I got a real job and figured out you wait until you get fired and just contest it for unemployment - if you work some multibillion dollar place most will just dole it out because you only have like 5 days to respond anyway. Just don't sign anything and walk right out when you get fired and go apply for unemployment.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

was retrenched once because the economy tanked, but then i got a job in the public sector and I been living off the government teet every since. :thurman:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Wulfolme posted:

Sometimes the store you work at goes out of business and closes.

Sometimes you work your way up to CEO and then sell the company. I've done this several times, but I've never quit or been fired.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
unless u got another job lined up, never quit - always make them fire u that way u can still collect UI if u play ur cards right (but keep in mind it may take 5-10 weeks between filing and getting ur first check).

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Cnut the Great posted:

Sometimes you work your way up to CEO and then sell the company. I've done this several times, but I've never quit or been fired.

Sometimes the job is for your Dad and he never actually pays you, he just gives you the money you need for rent and bills each month and you don't have a fixed salary and you never get any spare cash for playstation games or CDs

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

poopzilla posted:

You should consider getting some ambition with your life.

How much do you make and how long have you worked there.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
job? uh i think you mean insurance payout from slippin on peepee at the walmart

why would i quit that?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

shiksa posted:

job? uh i think you mean insurance payout from slippin on peepee at the walmart

why would i quit that?

pee pee money is not an employment history!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

Just don't sign anything and walk right out when you get fired and go apply for unemployment.

can't say this enough. nobody can make you sign poo poo, and anything they ask you to sign is to their advantage. if they're not paying severance, you don't sign poo poo

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i broke my leg and was like lol i cant come in bevause i broke my leg. ibe never been fired :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

OMGVBFLOL posted:

can't say this enough. nobody can make you sign poo poo, and anything they ask you to sign is to their advantage. if they're not paying severance, you don't sign poo poo

i got a call from hr two weeks after i left saying i needed to send them a check for $200 because..? i told her i'd get right on it and she should wait by the mailbox.

• Locked thread