Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
So I was being introduced to a friend of a friend. When we shook hands, I had this weird flash of a feeling, like he was the only real, living person in a world of paper cut outs. I don't have better words for it; it was just a jolt.

I thought "huh, that's weird" and brushed it off.

Six years later, we got married.

I couldn't tell you when I fell in love, or when I knew it, because it was all a gradual slow process, but have a weird story about emotional static electricity anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

NationofCrustaceans posted:

When people tell stories like this it really interests me. Like, what did your mind sense about this person? Was it simply a very strong physical attraction? (And then you got lucky and they turned out to have a compatible personality too?) Or was there something about they way the person carried themselves that alerted your brain that they had a personality that you would really like? Both? Neither? Coincidence? Cosmic destiny???

Well, it's a weird case in my example, because while I didn't know him, I knew OF him, and I didn't like him. As I said, he was a friend of a friend, and the extended group had just gone through major, extremely stupid drama (we were in college, so, yeah). Nobody had the full story, events were being garbled, blah blah blah, but because of some misunderstandings, I was convinced this Scott guy was a tremendous douchebag.

So I was very "ugh, why is HE here" that night but decided I'd be polite, and shook his hand. Then bam, weird jolt.

My immediate response obviously wasn't "MY SOULMATE" since I still thought he was a tool. But I was suddenly sure that I'd misjudged him somehow, that he wasn't who I thought he was. Maybe it was something in how he carried himself, I'm not even sure.

And then I got pissed, because I was already having a bad night, and uggggh here I was having to be mature and face up to misconceptions about that Scott rear end in a top hat when I really just had been planning on getting drunk and bitching with my friends. (I had just gotten dumped, and ... I mentioned this was college, right?)

So I tried being cranky at him, but I failed, and I just ... Couldn't stop talking to him. And the more I talked to him, the more I realized he was just a genuinely good person, and not an rear end in a top hat, which was seriously just ruining my attempt to get a good antisocial sulk on.

And then he was telling someone else about his major, which was the same as my ex, and I remember thinking "how cliche, another one, really?" ... And that was how I actually consciously realized I was into him. It had not even hit me until that moment.

We finally broke off from the group and spent most of the night talking and snuggled up together, because seriously, this story needed another cliche in it, I guess? Anyway. We started dating that night. I don't know when it was love, or what that flicker meant, but I thought I'd share.

• Locked thread