Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

What is this game

This is a version of Ocarina of Time originally released with Wind Waker pre-orders, and eventually came on its own with The Zelda Collectors Edition on Game Cube. It features the same over-world, dungeon locations and story, but the interiors of the dungeons are remixed from the original. Many of the enemies, item, and puzzles are different, in some cases more challenging.

The LP

Joining us on this journey is Zarin, he knows nothing of Master Quest so this will be all new for him. We will be collecting all of the Golden Skultullas and upgrade items in this play-through(100%), but we will need to come back to some places to collect some things, don't panic if I missed something the first time through. We are going to be using glitches and sequence breaks at times, as I used to Speedrun the original game, however I haven't played it in quite a while. We're going to try to keep going in the normal direction the game wants us to, so completing dungeons and events in the order they're intended. This doesn't mean we won't visit places out of order however. From ~Episode 5 forward we're going to avoid most glitches, with a few exceptions.

Spoilers

Feel free to discuss anything we've done up to the point of videos, and anything in the over-world is fair game. Post spoilers for anything ahead of where we are in videos for Dungeons. If there is something coming up that you would like to see specifically, put it in spoiler tags and I will try to work it into the video.

Videos
Full Playlist
Episode 1: Intro and Deku Tree
Episode 2: Fishing and Princesses Episode 3: Kakariko Village
Episode 4 Dungeoneering: Full dungeon edition and the old Sequence Broken Edition
Episode 5: Jabu Jabu's belly
Bonus 1-1: Child Collectathon
Bonus 1-2: Child Collectathon #2
Bonus 1-3: Child Collectathon Finale
Episode 6: Pre-Forest Temple
Episode 7: Forest Temple
Episode 8: Ice Cavern
Episode 9: Water Temple
Bonus 2: Adult Trade Sequence
Episode 10: Gerudo Valley/Haunted Wasteland
Episode 11: Fire Temple
Episode 12: Bottom of the Well
Episode 13: Child Spirit Temple/Gerudo Training Grounds
Bonus #3: Collection Roundup
Episode 14: Shadow Temple
Episode 15: Spirit Temple
Episode 16: Ganons Trials
Episode 17: Finale

Koobes fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
It's amazing how changing the color of the Action Button icon to red makes it look like a giant zit on your UI.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Good god I'd forgotten how long these cutscenes are. Especially compared to the way you're speeding through the gameplay (not that you should stop doing so!).

Keep the Fairy Ocarina just to cut down on cutscenes. :v:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Good god I'd forgotten how long these cutscenes are. Especially compared to the way you're speeding through the gameplay (not that you should stop doing so!).

Keep the Fairy Ocarina just to cut down on cutscenes. :v:

Only bad part is we get to see all of those cutscenes to get Song of Time anyways :argh:

MartianAgitator posted:

It's amazing how changing the color of the Action Button icon to red makes it look like a giant zit on your UI.

I didn't really notice this but it does look awful in comparison.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

New Update!

Episode 2: Fishing and Princesses
In this update we break some sequences and teleport around hyrule.

Click here to vote on an Ocarina. I'm going to close this off after finishing the third dungeon.

Koobes fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 22, 2015

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Goodness, I may have just OD'd on buttwalking. Allow me to check my pulse . .

. . . whew, looks like I'm still in the game here. Nice!

Nice touch with the bottle contents, by the way.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

:siren:Double Update!:siren:

Episode 3: Kakariko Village
Episode 4: Dungeoneering

Almost done with all the child dungeons, with a few bonus items.

Would you guys like to see a bonus video of talking to all of the npc's we have ignored up to this point, or to further detail the glitches that we have used? We've pretty much only spoken to mandatory npc's for either items or questlines, most of the others give various information about the city or game mechanics. Feel free to let me know in the thread.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly? I think it's fine to spend the overworld stuff doing whatever, showing off glitches if you like. Skip NPC dialog, anyone playing MQ, and probably anyone watching an LP of it, has seen that stuff in OoT.

However, the gimmick of MQ is, of course, the changed dungeons. It's worth showing those off in their full glory. If you're gonna skip through those with glitches, like you did with Dodongo's Cavern, I don't really think there's much left in this LP I care about.

Just my opinion. The LP is not bad as such. Just try and sort out what type of run you're trying to show off here, and I think it might get more interesting.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Honestly? I think it's fine to spend the overworld stuff doing whatever, showing off glitches if you like. Skip NPC dialog, anyone playing MQ, and probably anyone watching an LP of it, has seen that stuff in OoT.

However, the gimmick of MQ is, of course, the changed dungeons. It's worth showing those off in their full glory. If you're gonna skip through those with glitches, like you did with Dodongo's Cavern, I don't really think there's much left in this LP I care about.

Just my opinion. The LP is not bad as such. Just try and sort out what type of run you're trying to show off here, and I think it might get more interesting.

If you don't mind me asking, would you like to see it more in contrast of what I did in the deku tree? such as, we did all these puzzles, but you can skip all that by doing this, or would you like to see the entire dungeon in its uncut glory? Also do you want to see things like Shadow Temple early, or just have it removed until we are supposed to get there?

I'm going to take some time and show off Dodongo's Cavern in full and re-up Episode 4 without utilizing that sequence break.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I think it's fine to show how to skip things after you've done them the proper way first. The Deku Tree vid was fine.

For the order of dungeons, I don't really have a preference.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode 4 Dungeoneering: Full dungeon edition

I re-recorded the the dungeon, and tried my hand at solo commentary up until the boss where I put the original footage back in.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
That wall that usually has the gold skulltula on it is always climbable. It's just that other walls that look just like it aren't climbable.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Those blue rupee chests often contain shields that you don't have. Note that they typically appear in child dungeons with fire or near like-likes. I know from the old LP of this the Freelance Astronauts did that the last one had a Hylian Shield. I think MQ has a lot of chests that never have anything else in them, though.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Cheez posted:

That wall that usually has the gold skulltula on it is always climbable. It's just that other walls that look just like it aren't climbable.

Well I'm an idiot now, I could've swore that it wasn't climbable, but it is :downs:

Alpha3KV posted:

Those blue rupee chests often contain shields that you don't have. Note that they typically appear in child dungeons with fire or near like-likes. I know from the old LP of this the Freelance Astronauts did that the last one had a Hylian Shield. I think MQ has a lot of chests that never have anything else in them, though.

That explains quite a bit from the amount of them there are around. I knew that in the original game that there were a few chests with shields in them and I had those locations memorized. They also had blue rupees in them when opened, but I never made that connection here.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the reup!

Was that hidden room with the heart behind the lavafall there in the original game? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Carbon dioxide posted:

Thanks for the reup!

Was that hidden room with the heart behind the lavafall there in the original game? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

The dungeons all still have the same layout and architecture they do in the original OOT (only difference is the objects/enemies in each room), so probably. Granted, this is also the first time I've learned about that, so I'm not an authoritative source.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Thanks for the reup!

That room in the lavafall room was in the original game as well, and it also contained a single heart :v:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

New update!

Episode 5: Jabu Jabu's Belly

I am not a fan of this dungeon in either version of the game, just feels off-putting to me.

There are some bonus videos of collecting most of the child sidequest things coming up early next week/over the weekend.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The reason you're constantly missing the cows is that the cows aren't the switch. Eye switches and little square hookshot targets aren't the things your shots collide with -- the walls behind them are. The same thing applies here. You can't very easily "miss" a hookshot target or eye switch, but these ones stick out a lot more, so the available area that counts as a switch is a bit different and more difficult to target correctly if you're doing it from the side.

At least, that was my own personal experience with cowswitches.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Cheez posted:

The reason you're constantly missing the cows is that the cows aren't the switch. Eye switches and little square hookshot targets aren't the things your shots collide with -- the walls behind them are. The same thing applies here. You can't very easily "miss" a hookshot target or eye switch, but these ones stick out a lot more, so the available area that counts as a switch is a bit different and more difficult to target correctly if you're doing it from the side.

At least, that was my own personal experience with cowswitches.

that...makes sense in a way. Probably doesn't help that the gamecube/virtual console versions of the N64 zeldas have less sensitivity in the controller so its harder to aim as well, and when you can't see exactly what you need to hit it becomes trial and error a lot of the time :v:

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
All videos are entertaining, please continue producing them.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Bonus Video 1-1 Child Collectathon

The start of the bonus videos! This is all the child collection stuff I wanted to get out of the way prior to going adult. If you only want to see the master quest changes for skultullas, we only collect the ones in the deku tree in these series of videos. Click here for that

Also the Super Smash Bros commercial that I mention in the video.

Koobes fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 9, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The skull mask does WHAT to Keese? :stare:

Anyway, the Keaton mask is based on the Kitsune, a Japanese word for fox. It's believed in Japan that there are mythical wise trickster ghost foxes with up to nine tails. You can see the actual Keaton in Majora's Mask.

In other words, the Keaton mask is a Ninetales mask, not a Pikachu mask.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Anyway, the Keaton mask is based on the Kitsune, a Japanese word for fox. It's believed in Japan that there are mythical wise trickster ghost foxes with up to nine tails. You can see the actual Keaton in Majora's Mask.

In other words, the Keaton mask is a Ninetales mask, not a Pikachu mask.
That doesn't change the fact people are calling it a pikachu mask because it's yellow with black ear tips. And a "popular character". It's still a fox, though.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

It turns off their AI to attack you which is probably the most useful thing in the original's Dodogono's Cavern.

Anyways, next bonus video: Bonus 1-2: Goron City and Lon Lon Ranch stuff

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Koobes posted:

It turns off their AI to attack you which is probably the most useful thing in the original's Dodogono's Cavern.

I understood that. I just never knew it.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Final child collection bit: Bonus #1-3: Finishing up Masks, Gerudo Valley, and Lake Hylia

Now we can move on to more story/dungeon stuff! Should have normal content sometime this weekend. Also bought a new capture card, videos starting at the Water temple should be better. Nevermind the card desyncs audio everytime the game pauses :argh:

Koobes fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 12, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Koobes posted:

Final child collection bit: Bonus #1-3: Finishing up Masks, Gerudo Valley, and Lake Hylia

Now we can move on to more story/dungeon stuff! Should have normal content sometime this weekend. Also bought a new capture card, videos starting at the Water temple should be better. Nevermind the card desyncs audio everytime the game pauses :argh:

So what you're ACTUALLY saying is there aren't any patterns at all and the fact that it will always be one or the other means you will eventually win no matter which choice you make as long as you keep playing infinitely.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Cheez posted:

So what you're ACTUALLY saying is there aren't any patterns at all and the fact that it will always be one or the other means you will eventually win no matter which choice you make as long as you keep playing infinitely.

If you keep playing the same pattern, you will win eventually. My explanation could've probably been shortened to that. We recorded this session pretty late in the evening and I was spouting a bit too much gibberish I think.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
That is a nice Cucco you have there, Koobes!

Just watchin' dat cock bobbin' up 'n down . . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Moving on with some more game progression: Episode 6: Pre-Forest Temple

Going adult cut-scenes last way too long but we're ready for the first real temple.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode 7: Forest Temple

I don't mind the changes in here, but drat they start making a lot of rooms useless in Master Quest.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode 8: Ice Cavern

Side dungeons before the main dungeon.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Holy crap I did not know you could do that Hookshot thing with Swordless Link. :stare:

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Holy crap I did not know you could do that Hookshot thing with Swordless Link. :stare:

Its a great glitch, but unfortunately that is its only real use use :(.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Koobes posted:

Its a great glitch, but unfortunately that is its only real use use :(.

Which is a shame because it is awesome.

There are indeed four different horse escape cut-scenes, one for each cardinal direction.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode 9: Water Temple

Ever wonder what water temple would be like if you had to pause even more? Well Master Quest has a solution for you!

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The Master Quest version of the Water Temple has no eye switches, so it can be beaten without the bow. The only thing it's needed for is lighting those torches with fire arrows to reach a gold skulltula, which normally requires a revisit anyway. Therefore it can easily be the first temple that you complete, and having the longshot in the Forest Temple is very nice.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Alpha3KV posted:

The Master Quest version of the Water Temple has no eye switches, so it can be beaten without the bow. The only thing it's needed for is lighting those torches with fire arrows to reach a gold skulltula, which normally requires a revisit anyway. Therefore it can easily be the first temple that you complete, and having the longshot in the Forest Temple is very nice.

I could see two puzzles that Longshot would skip: One being the block pushing puzzle, provided you shot a bombchu at the crystal switch, and the other being a song of time block puzzle. Its a really useful item overall though!

Bonus Video time
Bonus #2: Adult Trade Sequence

Short bonus video collecting a big sword to kill things with faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Episode 10: Gerudo Valley/Haunted Wasteland

While near the Water Temple, be sure to check out the desert to see weird contrasts.

• Locked thread