Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

uPen posted:

Speaking of Sproggiwood, I got a copy from the dev and it's an amazing game so I'd like to actually buy it. First person to PM me their Steam ID gets a free copy.

That game looks adorable. Unfortunately, I don't have PMs, or I'd take you up on that offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I picked up Darkest Dungeon yesterday, but I'm quite tempted to grab Necrodancer since it seems unlikely to go much lower. I'm seriously considering Titan Souls, though it's not a roguelike

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I grabbed Crypt of the Necrodancer last night. It's fun, but I'm not sure it's the game for me. After playing just a little bit, it makes my arm start to hurt like hell from all the repeated tapping of the keypad. And I'm not sure if it's the game, me, or my keyboard, but sometimes I have a hell of a time making it recognize the two button combinations to use items/spells

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

bathroomrage posted:

Plug in a controller with four face buttons, I played it once with the keyboard and never again because fuuuuuck that noise.

I'm afraid I don't have a controller designed to work with the computer, and I've never gotten the hang out how to make my PS3 controllers work right on the computer.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

And just as a heads up for folks, Monstrum is 45% off for today, making it only $9.89 USD. It's a horror game set on a randomly generated ship each game. It's not quite a roguelike, but I figured it'd be worth sharing here anyway

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Agent355 posted:

Wait what, how is crypt of the necrodancer hard to play with a keyboard? There are 4 buttons!

It's not so much that the controls themselves are hard, it's just that playing for more that a short while at a time made my arm start to cramp up.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

The issue with Dredmore's lack of variety is partially due to the fact that every floor has a theme, which is the same in every game. First floor looks like a dungeon, second floor looks like a crypt, so on and so forth. And each of these floors have their own unique setpieces, and their own unique enemies, etc. So if you do a lot of runs, and frequently die, you'll be stuck seeing the same few floors and the same sorts of enemies each times. A lot of the game's replay factor comes down to the absolutely massive selection of skills you can take, and the strange combinations and themed runs you can create with those. Want to be a steampunk communist knight? You can be that! Want to be a veganist vampire? You can be that! Want to be a fireball throwing unarmed monk? You can be that!

One of Dredmore's strongest points is it's Steam Workshop support, and it's very dedicated fanbase. If you find yourself getting tired of the game, go and download a few mods and it can totally change the game. I personally always play with a mod that just adds in a huge number of new taunts for the enemies to say, plus usually a few mods that add in extra rooms to explore and items to find.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Soooo, uh, you just killed what's pretty much the ultimate evil of Lord of the Rings. . . What the hell is the post game content in this game? Do you fight the Valar next? Conquer the world? Kill Eru Iluvatar? :psyduck:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

A question for the roguelike goons: Think it's worth snapping up Nuclear Throne now? It's currently not on sale at all, and I dunno if it's likely to go onto daily deal or flash sale. But on the other hand, it's only $13 dollars in the first place.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Well, that's good to know. I didn't even know that Nuclear Throne was still in early access! Now that I've seen Sproggiwood, it and Sproggi are probably some of the two games I'm most interested in

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

The steam summer sale has officially entered it's final countdown, so if anyone's still planning on getting something like Ironcast or Sproggiwood, I'd suggest probably getting ready to buy them very soon. I doubt either of those are likely to drop much lower.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

So I gave Caves of Qud a try today. The idea of running around as a crazy mutating freak is pretty appealing. Though after seeing Beeme play the game with a tileset, it's kinda hard to get into the game with the default ASCII. Are those tiles available for people who have the steam beta?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

omeg posted:

Yes. The devs said to expect a public release around July 15th.

That's good to know! I'll keep my eye out for it. Is the price known yet?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Cogmind looks neat, I'll be keeping an eye on it. But I don't think I'll be dropping $30 on it any time soon

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

omeg posted:

Yep. It doesn't happen on every stairs though, I'm not sure how it works exactly.

Is that the only way to level up? O do you gain experience for defeating enemies as well?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Does the magic lamp spawn a genie? And can those genies be hostile and kill you? :v:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Jesus christ, getting that rocket launcher plus the ammo perk is just brutal. You cleaned out those first few mechs like it was nothing.The hubris is real.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

I've just discovered that Caves of Qud is now available as Early Access on Steam, in case anyone else wants to pick up a copy. I'm probably gonna try it soon, and fail horribly :v:

ousire fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 9, 2015

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

that's definitely not a link to caves of qud

Well, that was awkward. Post edited to correct link. whoops. do me a favor and edit that wrong link out? :suicide:

ousire fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 9, 2015

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

1138 is in a lot of George Lucas movies and LucasArts games. I have no idea why it's referenced in this game though

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Niggurath posted:

Let's Try RymdResa (with fixed audio)

Hopefully the audio is fixed?

So if this is fixed, would you guys want to see more? To some extent this is the essence of the game play and game; it's just a relaxing little bit of nonsense and it doesn't seem very long.

Yeah, I can't hear any more audio problem now. I wouldn't mind seeing some more videos of the game too; it looks nice and chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Blackray Jack posted:

So Nethack updated to 3.6. This is not a joke. They actually updated Nethack. I repeat, this is NOT a joke.

EDIT: Wrong thread but still relevant.

Wait, seriously? The last I can find mention of an official release was back in 2003. It's literally been over a decade since the last release.

• Locked thread