Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Would You Like A Michelada
This poll is closed.
Yes Please! 29 35.37%
Of Course! 7 8.54%
Goku 33 40.24%
Its 5 o'clock somewhere! 13 15.85%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Alright, so you are sitting at home bored and thirsty af maybe even watching The Game thinking about how satisfying an adult beverage would be -- especially one with a "latin" kick. WEll luckily your boy Nooner is here to help!

That's Right Baby! Im Talking Michelada ultrathread. Post all of your favorite tricks and strats to making the perfect 'lada here everyone!

Here is my standard go to mix, but when it comes to 'ladaing it up

When it comes to making a Michelada there is no "wrong" way after all it is more of a state of mind than an actual beverage, but here is my favorite way to go about it:

First you start with the key ingredient -- delicious cerveza (also lol Mt. Dew in the picture DO YOU HAVE STAIRS IN YOUR HOUSE????)

I prefer Modelo Especial over all the other brands because it is "special" and makes me feel special too (:
anyways, you take them bad boys and dump 'em in a pitcher with some ice and there is step one.

Step two, you got your next stuff to dump into the pitcher.

Some people will use tomato juice instead of clamato, but they are faggots and retards. The richness of the clam juice helps cut down on the acidity of the tomatos or something idk.

anyways, next you have this:

but that is bullshit, gently caress it and dont use it, use this instead

it gives it a "creole" kick!

I found this at the market the other day and figured it might go good since it looked kinda "mexicany"

but it was bad do not buy it. the label says that it is not candy which makes me wonder if mexican kids think poop tastes like candy(?)

aaaanyways, mix everything all together and then you should have somethign that looks like this

then you need to mix up the stuff to rim the glass (lol rim like rimjob [eating butt])

'

I use salt and cayenne and this time I tried the whack rear end tajin but it sucked.

YES BARTOLIMU THERE IS CAYENNE PEPPER IN IT

then you mix them all together

like that!

cut up some limes and grab a glass. I prefer the small glasses but pint glasses also work well and hold even more!

Then you just gotta go outside and find a nice placeto sit and catch some rays while you enjoy your muy deliciouso y picante drink with a "latin" kick!

Bonjour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Looks very tasty, well done Nooner.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

ay ya ya! Can't wait to down me lada!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

is this like a caesar? sometimes i ask the bartender for a caesar milan its like a canada thing but with a latin kick!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

fyodor posted:

is this like a caesar? sometimes i ask the bartender for a caesar milan its like a canada thing but with a latin kick!

it is indeed my friend from the North! just replace the vodka with a delicious cerveza and you've got yourself a taste treat from south of the border with a "latin" kick!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

im chillin having a michelada and listening to some cal tjader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7qtRWWsyKk

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I tried this recipe and it caused my son to graduate college. Would recommend 10/10.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
This dude owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcAWEGIG590

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Yeah this guy knows how to make a "Michelada" as long as it is short and gray that is

https://youtu.be/6FridXUHwYw

Get the gently caress outta here you illuminate mother fucker

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

more booze drinks need clam juice

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
AHAHAHAHAHAH HHAHAH HTHIS IS loving HILARIOUS; M AHAHA MY AHAH MHY GOD THIS AHAHAH AIS SO loving FUNNY AHAHAJSJUSESJSUS JESUS SCHRIST MAKE IT SOTP loving \GOLD MATE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

mindphlux posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAH HHAHAH HTHIS IS loving HILARIOUS; M AHAHA MY AHAH MHY GOD THIS AHAHAH AIS SO loving FUNNY AHAHAJSJUSESJSUS JESUS SCHRIST MAKE IT SOTP loving \GOLD MATE

Embarrassing...

I was talking with OP and wondering if there was a way to improve the drinkability of ladas. I have a similar problem with Caesars where I can really only have one because of saltiness. Particularly relevant as this recipe whips up a pitcher and I don't have any friends to share.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
estoy aqui para dar un "golpe latino" a este hilo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mindphlux posted:

yikes! have a michelada bro.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

mindphlux posted:

Why is this type of trolling allowed here?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

social vegan posted:

I was talking with OP and wondering if there was a way to improve the drinkability of ladas. I have a similar problem with Caesars where I can really only have one because of saltiness. Particularly relevant as this recipe whips up a pitcher and I don't have any friends to share.

Is it the salty flavor that makes you not want more than one, or concerns over sodium? I'll assume the former for this reply.

There are a couple of ways to adjust for salt levels without making the drink sweet, which I think we can all agree is kind of disgusting. One is to up your lime game. I'm mystified by Nooner's dislike of Mexican lime/chile powder (though he did pick kind of a bad brand), because not only is that the canonical rim dressing of an authentic Jaliscan michelada, it also helps balance out the salt with increased acidity. If you're like Nooner or just don't want to go buy a chile/lime powder for one beverage, I can't blame you there - just use lime juice to wet the glass before rimming with salt, and add more lime juice to the michelada proper. That should help balance things out.

Another way to fix the salt situation is to use a stronger beer. While Modelo Especial is a good thing to use for micheladas, I prefer Modelo Negro for the richer, deeper flavor it brings to the drink. Plus the bottles are brown glass, which makes the beer less likely to be skunked if you don't have access to cans.

I also like to add some freshly ground black pepper to the rim when I make a michelada. It adds another kind of spice. Some folks might feel this veers too far into the territory of the Bloody Mary, though.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

bartolimu posted:

Is it the salty flavor that makes you not want more than one, or concerns over sodium? I'll assume the former for this reply.

There are a couple of ways to adjust for salt levels without making the drink sweet, which I think we can all agree is kind of disgusting. One is to up your lime game. I'm mystified by Nooner's dislike of Mexican lime/chile powder (though he did pick kind of a bad brand), because not only is that the canonical rim dressing of an authentic Jaliscan michelada, it also helps balance out the salt with increased acidity. If you're like Nooner or just don't want to go buy a chile/lime powder for one beverage, I can't blame you there - just use lime juice to wet the glass before rimming with salt, and add more lime juice to the michelada proper. That should help balance things out.

Another way to fix the salt situation is to use a stronger beer. While Modelo Especial is a good thing to use for micheladas, I prefer Modelo Negro for the richer, deeper flavor it brings to the drink. Plus the bottles are brown glass, which makes the beer less likely to be skunked if you don't have access to cans.

I also like to add some freshly ground black pepper to the rim when I make a michelada. It adds another kind of spice. Some folks might feel this veers too far into the territory of the Bloody Mary, though.

dense post full of 'lada goodness. thanks.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
How much can you actually taste the clam? I had a bad experience w clams and an ex gf once and long story short they make me physically ill now. If its just tomato juice really then it sounds good.

BanhMi
May 11, 2015

bartolimu posted:

These are great suggestions. Do you have any suggestions for replacing the clam juice? I love the idea of a michelada but am allergic to clams. I've made them with just tomato juice and enjoyed them, but nooner's notes on the savory kick make me feel like I'm missing out. Should I use soy sauce? Eel sauce?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

use fish sauce or msg for that savory latin kick

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Worcestershire sauce is pretty great in micheladas. It's called salsa inglesa in Mexico and is also part of my favorite bar snack of all time. It should add complexity and savoriness without setting off clam allergies.

BanhMi
May 11, 2015

bartolimu posted:

Worcestershire sauce is pretty great in micheladas. It's called salsa inglesa in Mexico and is also part of my favorite bar snack of all time. It should add complexity and savoriness without setting off clam allergies.

That sounds perfect, thanks! I love that stuff- gotta love it when a substitution is something you have laying around the house already. Looking forward to celebrating the summer, fiesta-style

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

bartolimu posted:

Yeah, it's totally a taste thing! Thanks a ton, I'm hoping to do my first lada run this weekend and I'll stock up on limes as that's how I usually cut a caesar!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

mindphlux posted:

glad you liked my post (:

Fetus Tree posted:

How much can you actually taste the clam? I had a bad experience w clams and an ex gf once and long story short they make me physically ill now. If its just tomato juice really then it sounds good.

You really dont taste the clam at all, it jsut gives a little bit more of a richness to the drink which is very nice

bartolimu posted:

One is to up your lime game. I'm mystified by Nooner's dislike of Mexican lime/chile powder (though he did pick kind of a bad brand)

It may have just been the brand but it tasted too sweet and not at all spicy, very disappointed in it however my mexican roommate was very excited when she saw it in the cabinet?

I guess she just understands that "latin" kick more than I do :shrug: using negro instead of especial sounds so crazy that it just might work though, I will have to givethat a try this weekend!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You can make a pretty solid ghetto michelada by adding some hot sauce and sangrita to beer. I don't have the sort of foresight to prepare for michelada days.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

You can make a pretty solid ghetto michelada by adding some hot sauce and sangrita to beer. I don't have the sort of foresight to prepare for michelada days.

Yeah, that's actually a good idea. its not really that hard, i think "Nooner" is just trolling and doing his thing. Whatever, i guess. Classic "Nooner"

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I'm really distraught and upset by all these loving bolillos calling them "ladas" when they're "michis" for short. Also the tajin you bought is for putting on fruits and veggies, not in drinks so that one is on you. There's also candy that is similar to it but not quite, hence the label.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

But Not Tonight posted:

I'm really distraught and upset by all these loving bolillos calling them "ladas" when they're "michis" for short. Also the tajin you bought is for putting on fruits and veggies, not in drinks so that one is on you. There's also candy that is similar to it but not quite, hence the label.

Thank you for this advice in will take it to heart and hopefully improve my michi game even further ... although I can't help feeling thoroughly owned at the same time

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i sip this

while driving in this

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I like to just make sure all of my liquid ingredients are ice-cold rather than using ice since it just dilutes the michelada further, and mixing clamato and lime juice with beer weakens the potency of the beer already.

Also, shame on you for not using fresh-squeezed limes, Nooner.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Midniter posted:

I like to just make sure all of my liquid ingredients are ice-cold rather than using ice since it just dilutes the michelada further, and mixing clamato and lime juice with beer weakens the potency of the beer already.

uuuhhhgg I know, i suck for using the concentrate but my juicer is really lovely and it takes forever to make enough fresh juice, I'm probably going to get one of these badboys soon

unless any of you more knowledgeable cooks would recommend against it.

As far as the ice, it is definietly a problematic situation. I'm not too worried about lowering the ABV% since im generally drinkin michi's just to chill and enjoy a tasty treat on a warm day (I'll hit the gin if im gettin' my buzz on) although watering down in general sucks, I'd rather have it a little watered down and cool than room temp.

I guess the best solution would be to maybe use those frozen whiskey rocks, but I feel like that would take a LOT to get the job done and at $16 per 6 pack I dont know if I could justify that -- tossing around that kinda bread just doesnt jive with the michi lifestyle, you know?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I have a couple of juicers like the one you're thinking about and they're very good. Be sure you get a nice heavy metal one and not plastic, though - the stress on the hinge can be pretty strong and lesser materials just don't last. As for whiskey rocks, find someone who does granite countertops and see if he/she is willing to give/sell you a few cube-ish pieces of scrap granite. The material cost for so little granite is about 5-10% of the price of whiskey stones, the rest is marketing and a quick polishing job that's not even really necessary.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

The Midniter posted:

This is pretty much the right way. Ice-cold mug, ice-cold beer, and keep your spicy tomato juice in the fridge too. I like v8 but really whatever tomato-drink you use is fine, so long as it's spicy, whether on its own or through added hot-sauce. Spicy michis are the way to go :kimchi:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

But Not Tonight posted:

This is pretty much the right way. Ice-cold mug, ice-cold beer, and keep your spicy tomato juice in the fridge too. I like v8 but really whatever tomato-drink you use is fine, so long as it's spicy, whether on its own or through added hot-sauce. Spicy michis are the way to go :kimchi:

*tips sriracha*

m'lada

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

A lot of people don't realize that raw garlic + beer compliment one another in a really tight way. Just keep that glass frosted: I like corona extra + garlic/horseradish + ....lime juice? nope! splash of 7up.

I like to make up a platter of these for hanging out on the porch at summer time :) we like to drink ours out of huge cups which we call our "Grandes" ;)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Honestly, this latin kick BS is starting to look more and more like latin prick.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fetus Tree posted:

Honestly, this latin kick BS is starting to look more and more like latin prick.

you are not contributing to the michi thread cmon man.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Anybody planning on mixing up a big batch of michi's for the holiday weekend? I've got a buddy who is throwing a big BBQ bash so I figured I'd mix up a gallon or so to go with the burgs im bringing.

I'm thinking about upping the lime juice, currently when i make a big batch i do like 3 tallboys of beer and 1 use cup of lime, 3 cups clamato -- what is your preferred ratio?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I find the idea of "mixing up a big batch" abhorrent, your beer is gonna go flat. Just mix them in the mugs imo, and I prefer 3 parts beer to 1 part tomato juice with lime/salt/hot sauce to taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

abhorrent seems a little strong. this is a friendly michi zone.

• Locked thread