Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I enjoy building guitar from scratch :) For a couple of months I've been working on a travel-sized one with a walnut neck/stock and a pine body (from a piece of wood from a tree knocked down in my yard by a storm last year). I'm doing it without a truss rod, so I can't do metal strings bc. the tension would warp or crack the neck. So it's nylon strings, which means no ordinary pickups. Instead, I'm installing a piezo pickup in it, which is the same kind of system found in clip-on guitar tuners. It's going to be really good. Only problem atm is that I may have overclamped the neck when i glued it in the body, so now theres a slight but noticeable backbow to it. I'm hoping it won't be a problem and that the string tension will pull it back up a bit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Thingyman posted:

that is legit badass. how is the timbre on them?

Pretty good. I build electrics though - so while the wood/body has a definite influence on the tone, much of your mileage still comes from what pickups and electronics you stuff in them and how you align everything. This travel guitar thing is the first overtly acoustic thing I've built and since its meant for travel use, its not overly resonant or loud at all. I really have only a vague idea of what kind of sound its going to have at the moment, though I won't really mind if its really quiet when its unplugged. It probably will be. I've been gathering material for doing an archtop build for a couple years now, but I'm dragging my feet because its a scary project, and I recently broke my favourite chisel... :(

SweetKarma posted:

I don't know anything about musical instruments, but the fact that you built part of it from a knocked down tree in your yard is pretty amazing.

Its a kickass hobby :)

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Hobby update on yard-scavenged travel guitar: just spent a good 30 minutes aligning the saddle with the neck, gluing it and clamping it. Feels super strange affixing a saddle with just wood glue, when youre used to electric saddles/bridges that need to be drilled to stick. Guess thats one of the advantages of the lower string tension on nylon - it won't rip the saddle off of the guitar when you tighten the strings. Gonna spend tonight finish sanding the neck/stock and carving out the inlay on the headstock (I got some mother of pearl shipped from china which thankfully didnt get stuck in customs).

In 24 hours I can take off the clamps and do a final full body sand, before I make the holes for the jack/pickup/volume pot. Its a fun build because I don't need to use a router for the pickup/electronics, I can just stick to low radius flat drills and do everything as small, round holes.

Minimalist Program fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 27, 2015

• Locked thread