Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
What are your hobbies? I've recently become interested in metal detecting. It's a lot of hard work , but it's fun and you can learn a lot about your local history in the process, and if you're lucky you'll find something that's worth more than your car. Or if you're even more lucky you'll find something you can retire on. Most of the poo poo you find while metal detecting is just garbage, but I find that I really like being outdoors and having something to occupy my time other than the internet. What hobbies do other goons enjoy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
These are some depressing rear end hobbies.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

FIRST TIME posted:

when you're an adult, hobbies are usually poo poo you do to avoid your spouse and children

so yeah, that's pretty depressing

Hobbies are also what you do to forget about the fact that you're single with no prospects for the future.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
Just post your hobbies and stop being creeepy drunk loners

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Matey posted:

slitting my wrist while I pour powdered prozac onto the cut as a piece of performance art.

I was thinking more along the lines of bird watching, but this will do.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Hobohemian posted:

Landscape photography.

Nice hobby, but incredibly expensive.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i do music stuff, but recently i also took up different music stuff.

You could try being more specific.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Tonsured posted:

I sample algae from various local water sources, algae is an indirect indicator of water quality and the phycological distribution has shifted noticeably each year since the last factory around here shut down(thanks globalization! You destroyed all my friends and neighbors lives but the local wild life is thriving!)

Can you explain this some more?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Tonsured posted:

I'm no expert. I'm a hobbyist. I have a microscope and I'm curious. I collect bags of water then look at them under a microscope. Over the last few years I've noticed that the diatom population is almost non existent. Diatoms generally thrive in waste water, and their disappearance means that the water quality seems to be changing for the better.

So this is good?

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Tonsured posted:

Seems like it, for the wild life. There has been an increase in bird and mammal diversity over the years too. But I don't bag them.

Aren't birds mammals? Sorry, I don't know things about stuff.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I did a quick Yahoo! Answers search on this poo poo and no, birds are not mammals they are averes or something. Thanks 4th grade teacher.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Tonsured posted:

Wow! That makes sense because birds can fly! And beavers can't! but then again house flies can fly, so maybe they're averes too?

I honestly don't know what the hell you're talking about. I just wanted to know if birds are mammals or not.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

i dunno, we do mostly dumb video game stuff, from other languages into english

That's actually kind of cool. Do you translate or do you just make sure that the translated English makes sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Minimalist Program posted:

I enjoy building guitar from scratch :) For a couple of months I've been working on a travel-sized one with a walnut neck/stock and a pine body (from a piece of wood from a tree knocked down in my yard by a storm last year). I'm doing it without a truss rod, so I can't do metal strings bc. the tension would warp or crack the neck. So it's nylon strings, which means no ordinary pickups. Instead, I'm installing a piezo pickup in it, which is the same kind of system found in clip-on guitar tuners. It's going to be really good. Only problem atm is that I may have overclamped the neck when i glued it in the body, so now theres a slight but noticeable backbow to it. I'm hoping it won't be a problem and that the string tension will pull it back up a bit...

I don't know anything about musical instruments, but the fact that you built part of it from a knocked down tree in your yard is pretty amazing.

• Locked thread