Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I put ten on the old man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
That... does seem like the most likely winner, yes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's probably not too healthy to criticize how other people live. Or, um, die.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Smash him into the sky, Aether! Show that starved excuse of a god how a real fight is won!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Okay wow, I should post those picks, huh?

Erinyes (Comrade Gorbash), iron cutie
Fenghuang (K Prime), eastern elf goddess
Ingeborg Menjasdóttir (Bendigeidfran), thorbot raider
Sir Jonathan Calderone (Daraken), knight of crowbar
and Sylvi Quist (Alien Rope Burn), the unbeatable squirrel girl

Thanks for applying, everyone. A lot of apps were really good, especially for a relatively unknown game and homebrew setting. Had to make some tough cuts. :( Please don't be sad if you didn't make it; if for any reason people drop, I'd like to keep you guys on reserve if possible.

To those that got in, congratulations. I will put the thread within the next few days. If you want to post impressions or have other setting ideas, like extra Folkvangr NPCs or some such, feel free to share. If you want a less busy IRC channel than #persona to talk about the game, I've got my own channel in #starsigns on SynIRC.

I got follow up questions, if you're interested.

_____

Erinyes
How did you get tied up in this Folkvangr business anyway? How did Haephestus get tied up in it?

Fenghuang
Can you really be merciful in a situation where your lover and his newfound friends would threaten the lives of others?

Ingeborg
Do you keep in touch with Professor Alfsdóttir? Recently, the Jötunn approached her to ask for their "payment" for their part for creating you. What does that entail?

Jonathan
Aside from Miriam, you're pretty much the closest to the everyman Midgardian in this team. How well have you adjusted to the last five years?

Sylvi
What secrets have you revealed to Decima in regards to the world tree? What can't you reveal to her?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Ah well, have fun, ya'll.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Fenghuang

How are their lives worth less than the lives of those they threaten?

Certainly, they deserve appropriate punishment. But it is not for me to decide who deserves to live and who deserves to die. That is the arrogance that has infected them, not I.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

TurninTrix posted:

Erinyes
How did you get tied up in this Folkvangr business anyway? How did Haephestus get tied up in it?

Haephi is why I got pulled into this! He and Sigurd go way back - I mean, not always as friends, from what I can tell, but they've known each other for a long time. Anyways, Haephi is staying on the down low but not like actively hiding, you know? People know he's my tutor and works on my shows and stuff. They just don't know he's, you know, the Haephestus.

Anyways, Haephi did some work for Folkvangr back in the day. My father was involved too - that's how I know Haephi, you know? He and my father worked together for a while, but they fell out over stuff. Haephi hasn't told me exactly what. So after I started doing the super hero thing, Haephi ran into Sigurd in the city. They weren't looking for each other, but they kind of shop at the same places.

Apparently they went and got drinks - don't ask me how that works for Haephi - and got talking, and Haephi got me a spot on the team. The rest is history, I guess!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Double posting since I had some questions...

So I was wondering about a few things with Folkvangr and how Erinyes would fit in. It's more in the vein of style than anything else.

Is Folkvangr well known? Or are they supposed to be secret? I sort of get the impression they're a known group now, but they could still be mostly secret outside of certain circles (Daredevil's status in the Netflix series, for example - people know he's out there but very little beyond that, nearly an urban legend). If they are known, is it a group that's still outside of normal circles (like the X-Men) or are they openly accepted (like the Avengers or Fantastic Four)?

If Trix has something in mind I'm cool with that.

Should the rest of the group know Erinyes' secret identity? I'm open to going either way with that, I'd like to see what others think.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Is Folkvangr well known? Or are they supposed to be secret? I sort of get the impression they're a known group now, but they could still be mostly secret outside of certain circles (Daredevil's status in the Netflix series, for example - people know he's out there but very little beyond that, nearly an urban legend). If they are known, is it a group that's still outside of normal circles (like the X-Men) or are they openly accepted (like the Avengers or Fantastic Four)?

I want to say "this is literally Libra from BBB", but if you don't have that frame of reference... yeah, people know it exists, but almost nothing else about them that isn't rumor and hearsay. People definitely know that certain super-powered vigilantes are out there saving the day and showing up the local authorities. Valhalla Company denies them publicly, and if pressed, just refers to them as "those drat terrorists".

That's just me, though. If you want them more like the Avengers than X-Men/superpowered MI6 I'm okay with that too, running this by the seat of my pants.

quote:

Should the rest of the group know Erinyes' secret identity? I'm open to going either way with that, I'd like to see what others think.

That said, your character has a split personality going on and IMO it would probably more fun if the group had a chance interact w/ both of those a lot. :P

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

TurninTrix posted:

That said, your character has a split personality going on and IMO it would probably more fun if the group had a chance interact w/ both of those a lot. :P

Okay! The other Folkvangrites know her secret identity~

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.

TurninTrix posted:

Jonathan
Aside from Miriam, you're pretty much the closest to the everyman Midgardian in this team. How well have you adjusted to the last five years?
I'm tempted to say that I immediately took to Midgard's Root like a fish to water, but that'd be a lie. Oh yes, I heard plenty of stories and rumors in my travels before, but nothing can truly prepare you for that fantastical city. Especially the people. To see creatures and beings right out of ancient legends, well it was both awe-inducing and terrifying at the same time. In fact, I nearly took the head off of a naga I mistook for a monstrous snake! He seemed to accept my apology, but that was a mark against my honor for quite some time.

My first year wasn't much better from there. I kept to the human populated districts mostly. It was not that I disliked the extradimensionals residing in Midgard's newest city, but even for a knight such as myself, to go from a relatively normal mundane world to one filled with beings from all across the Nine Realms was quite the culture shock! But for me, out on a quest to do justice, such isolation could not hold. After all, how could I call myself a true knight if I did not help the innocent, no matter who they were? And it turns out its much easier to make friends with people after you've scared off the red and blue oni harassing them, or help them find their child who got lost after chasing a will-o'-wisp or are just around to listen to their everyday problems.

Nowadays I cheerfully greet my harpy neighbors every morning, haggle furiously over steel ingots with dwarves, try to get the local tanuki cook to take my money for my meal before heading out in search of people to help. It's a routine, but one I'm happy with. Yes, Midgard's Root is my home now.

Daraken fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 10, 2015

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

TurninTrix posted:

Ingeborg
Do you keep in touch with Professor Alfsdóttir? Recently, the Jötunn approached her to ask for their "payment" for their part for creating you. What does that entail?

Now and then she sends Thiazi, our little metal falcon, to slip in through the bridge and exchange news. He is a strong bird. I'd defy anyone in Midgard's Root that dares think they could intercept him! The professor insists I relay everything in code now, and even Thiazi ruffles his feathers when I do. It's unneeded. A warrior speaks as she wills.

Their payment? A crate of blueprints, a bookcase of myths, all the cattle we roasted for supper. And one thing that truly deserves the name. A ledger she kept on her worst scientific rivals, and her oath that any Jötunn projects involving them would go untouched. She was tearing her hair out over it. All her dreams of me dismantling their work in front of them, melted like snow on a funeral pyre. Well, I can still seize that chance! Brother Rungne has mentioned "mistakes".

_____
I'm okay with Folkvangr being a low-key thing like Libra is, since it lets us bum around the city without attracting too much attention. Midgard's Root should be the kind of city where an 8-foot robot can order lunch and no one bats an eye.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

TurninTrix posted:

Sylvi
What secrets have you revealed to Decima in regards to the world tree? What can't you reveal to her?

The Folkvangr has been given more than just a tour of the tree - Sylvi has provided a fairly in-depth knowledge of things like hidden routes cut into the bark, advanced survival (i.e. what food is safe to eat, how to identify dead bark to make a shelter, understanding safe branch-holds from unsafe ones, etc.), and guide-runes left by tribes to indicate hazards or resources. While Sylvi's far from a master of survival, she has been perfectly open regarding her knowledge of the tree’s exterior.

Though in theory she could teach their method of “spiralling” through the tree, tradition dictates that another member of the Folkvangr would have to be inducted into the Ratatosk tribe to learn this. It’s also hard to learn this, and requires some degree of being willing to submit to the tree’s will (the Ratatosk see the tree as intelligent, but there’s no scientific evidence of that, yet.). It’s not out of the question, but there are hurdles that have put it out of reach so far.

What she hasn’t brought up is the interior of the tree. There are various deeper passageways, some of which are home to dangerous parasites. While Jötunbúkr (dire weevils) may not attack humans per se, a half-ton of bulletproof, panicked insect in an enclosed space is still pretty hazardous. And the smell of Jötunlūs (giant wood lice) itself can actually be dangerous, and in small spaces their exhalations can be flammable or explosive. However, there are chambers that the Ratatosk call “Yggdrasil’s Hearts” that glow with seeming bioluminescence in yellows and whites. These chambers are sacred to the Ratatosk, and generally aren’t accessible without teleportation or similar magics.

More of a problem that the hearts have been used as hiding-holes by Ratatosk malcontents from time to time, and Sylvi has the dilemma of not really being able to discuss such with outsiders. More directly, her tribe recently located a number of preserved humans in some of the hearts lower down in the trunk. Generally the elders have decided not to disturb them for the time being, not wishing to gainsay the will of the tree, and have banned revealing them to the humans yet. But Sylvi recognizes one face amongst them.

She recognizes Decima’s body.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

:siren: Thread is up! :siren:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I made some things.

The names are easy to adjust so I can change those if anyone wants. Also they're easy to make so if you have other character icons you'd like to have, let me know and drop me some art to use and I can make it happen.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 16, 2015

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Wow those are great.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Oh, very nice. I like the two symbols representing Folkvangr and RAGNAROK (assuming that's what those two are).

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Actually the first one is more for Midgard's Root in general.

The green and black one is for RAGNAROK though. I'm working on a Folkvangr one, and may refine the character icons one more time.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Some adjustments made to the art.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

:allears: I really like these.

I'll be posting soon, just getting used to my new school schedule. Jonathan, are you tagging along with anyone or off to do something on your own?

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Ah sorry. Posted what Jon is doing!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Don't worry about it, I had ideas for whatever you wanted to do, even if it was just standing around. :P

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Thesis is hitting me hard again. :x Will get a GM post this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Good luck with your thesis!

• Locked thread