Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Inevitable early interest post to be followed by last minute submission goes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Destrado posted:

Inevitable early interest post to be followed by last minute submission goes here.

Echo of the Many Hymns, Last of the Freelance Muses

In a past age, when heroes were known by song and story, the epic poets would always open with an invocation to the muses. A plea for the talent to do their art justice. It was understood that talent was something fickle, flickering, and bestowed only on the worthy. In this second heroic age, of course, things are a little different. There's appearance fees, twelve-show tours of the Skyroot, non-compete clauses. Those other bitches went corporate.

But there's still a name that's whispered down under the shadow of the world tree, by those who look up through the branches and dream of a better life: Polyhymnia. The invocations are a little different of course. Less "Sing, oh Muse, of the hero Achilles" and more "oh great polyhymnia please bestow unto me wicked smarts and not unto that guy Jakob because he is a dick", but the intent is still there. A small offering is considered traditional (Cash or Credchip accepted, 3% surcharge for Asgard Express chips). A mythological entity's gotta eat, after all. But with a flash of light and a touch of benefaction, a worthy aspirant can find themselves gifted with untold talent in the finer arts: Gifts of song, of tongues, or of being able to throw a car thirty feet. And then when you turn your head, to perhaps suggest the car thing is very nice but you just wanted to be able to hit an F sharp, she's gone in another flash. Hey, the muses are fickle, okay?

But there's a certain freedom in remaining freelance and not signing on with one of the major media/military conglomerates to boost sales of whatever vat-grown vocaloid or cyborg killing machine is in this season (sometimes it's both). After all, you get to watch the little guy make it big. And maybe increase your fee accordingly. And sure, what with the backlog of aspirants sometimes an enterprising young inspiration consultant has to cut a few corners: That great poem might sound a little like last year's number 3 chart hit. Your new laser eyes might just be similar in colour and hue to the ones Mimir's Head was using to blast netherbeasts on the evening news last night. Look, do you want these amazing gifts or not? Plenty of other guys who'd kill for laser eyes, slightly familiar or otherwise.

Sometimes it's not anything so flashy, it's just being slightly better at being yourself when you're in a bind. After all, you don't call on Polyhymnia when you need a hero. You call on Polyhymnia when you need to be one. And don't tell anyone about it, but sometimes she gifts the real underdogs for free. But she'll grit her teeth while doing it.

Which isn't to say that a minor deity of inspiration and song can't have a little secondment now and then. In their slightly more pragmatic terms, Folkvangr have classified Echo as a force multiplier. It turns out the whole appearing-disappearing inspiration schtick might have certain applications in the tactical insertion and extraction of agents under fire. Echo is only interested in it for the extra money, and not because saving the earth and all its offshoots is something a deity of such poise and grace could be bothered to be interested in. Totally.

Just ignore the business holocards she's fabbed that read "Polyhymnia: Tactical Inspiration Consultant"

quote:

Resistances (8D)
Will 4D
Reaction 3D
Composure 3D
Fortitude 2D

Aptitudes (6D)
Athleticism 3D
Performance 3D
Presence 3D

Powers (7D)
Mimic Power 3D
Imbue 3D (Complication: Touch only -1D)
Teleportation 2D

Advantages

Disadvantages (-1D)
Minor Mental Hindrance: Vain -1D
Celebrity: -1D

Competency Pool 5D

Destrado fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 3, 2015

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

TurninTrix posted:

Polyhymnia (Destrado)
Have you ever regretted empowering a mortal? Why?

Okay, I get what you're unsubtly alluding to here and let me first say: how dare you and secondly might I remind you that I was cleared of all charges. I'm a Muse, not an Oracle. It turns out "worthiness" is particularly hard to define. Maybe in the old days, sure, it's not like anyone was going to get hurt with a particularly stirring epic recital, but in the powers game things are a little different. One day you're gifting a guy the irresistible force, and the next day you're making someone the immovable object. That's the business. If the underdog stayed the underdog I wouldn't exactly call that customer satisfaction. And of course the gifts fade, or else you'd just be putting tomorrow's jackboots on today's downtrodden.

Ennis was a good kid, though. It's tough for people in those corners of Worldroot that have never been out of the shade. I mean he just wanted to be able to protect his family. "Protect", it turns out, also particularly hard to define. I heard they found pieces of the guys that had been extorting them halfway up the root. It's funny how occasionally those who've taken so much poo poo get so keen to give it back out. But none of that's my fault! I mean just because you hand someone a gun doesn't mean you're responsible when they... load it, and... you know what, this analogy has gotten away from me.

What I mean is I try to stay away from the real dangerous cases. I can gift the great power, but it doesn't come with the great responsibility. So yeah, sometimes I regret it, but it won't ever stop me from doing it again. (ps not my fault!)

TurninTrix posted:

Everyone
If you had the power to alter the Nine Realms in a cosmic level, what's the first thing you would do?

Other than unite everyone in the unconditional praise and fealty of a wise and benevolent god, here's what you do: You just grab the largest branch of almighty Ygg you can, and you twist. Metaphorically, sure, but literally couldn't hurt. The eight other realms should take a tip from Midgard: things should be rotating. None of this thousand generations of the crusted-on status quo, a little movement always helps.

Destrado fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 5, 2015

• Locked thread