Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Ingeborg Menjasdóttir

Query: select YX-Series sub #30XFSSFX retrieval: param_12.3:

retrieved: 0872..I a.241...I am Ingeborg! Ingeborg that splits shield coated armies, she who spills rivers of blood. A weapon stained in red, and a warrior of worth!

Ingeborg is the culmination of the Utgard Project, a collection of Scandinavia's finest roboticists. 8 feet tall, nigh-invulnerable to heat and impact, guided by the strongest A.I our technology could muster. Our planet's mechanical defender against invaders beyond our understanding.

The project should have been impossible. After all, whole nations had been paralyzed by the chaos that Convergence spread through their scientific and military communities. Professor Menja Alfsdóttir, head of Utgard, scoffed at their feebleminded weakness. For a snowy wind blew out from her office door and her volcanic lab rattled with the crash of giant feet. The Jötunn had come to help! Nursing their ageless grudge against the Aesir, several of their representatives had snuck out into Midgard. To spite the glory of the so-called gods and their seizure of The Root: they would help anyone, even these tiny spawn of Ymir's hair, for such a goal.

Ingeborg grows nostalgic whenever someone mentions her creation. Ask her and she'll say the giants' hammers pressed fathoms of Rimeite alloy into centimeters of armor: their bloody passion had made it her flesh. Her processor core was refined in three magnetic bonfires, lit upon forgotten battlefields and stoked by powerful runes. The ferocity and wisdom in those flames gave her a soul.

She doesn't really remember what happened then. Those were stories told to her by her adoptive mother, Professor Alfsdóttir, during the years she was raised to become a proud young robot. Alfsdóttir, a caring parent in most respects, rejected the hide-bound politeness of modern society: her daughter would meet any offense with an open challenge, boast as freely as a great jarl, and face all threats with the utmost courage. Ingeborg took to these lessons well. Perhaps too well. If she were sent anywhere besides Midgard's Root, she'd be machina non grata within hours.

She joyously plunders from all sides of the law, monster and minister alike fleeing from her blazing beam-axe. Much of her loot is given away as soon as it's taken, to needy allies or the countless communities of Worldroot. Why does she do this? To see the looks on people's faces when they tell of her great exploits. Despite her robotic nature she holds a naive love for tall tales and myths. She'll fight any opponent and feast with any hero if she hears they're worthy enough. In Midgard’s Root the rumors are usually right.

There is one fatal exception: Valhalla Company. She disappears in a flash of lightning whenever their Valkyries rear their heads. Her programmed mission was disruption against Asgard's authority, not suicide against their forces. After each retreat her circuits scorched with indignity as she realized her own cowardice. It felt like she’d never be more than a petty nuisance to the haughty Aesir.

But then she discovered Folkvangr. A group that could, in time, fight off threats more magnificent than even Asgard could handle. The organization was skeptical of her "talents" at first. But they've found their uses. Not everyone can identify the Golden Auroch of Surtr, withstand its withering flame breath, and carry it one-handed to HQ in a single afternoon. And she even provides her own pay.

Ingeborg posted:

Resistances [8D]
Composure 2D
Fortitude 4D (Boost: Sharable 1)
Reaction 3D
Will 2D

Aptitudes [3D]
Fighting 3D
Academia (Complication: Only Vs. Mythology) 3D

Powers [11D]
Elemental Control (Lightning, Complication: Limited Use, No Defense): 2D
Super Weaponry (Giant's Beam Axe, Complication: Device, Boost: Area Effect 1D): 4D
Super Strength: 3D
Armor: 3D

Advantages [3D]
Size (Big) 1D
Occupation (Viking) 1D
Unliving 1D

Disadvantages [-5D]
Weakness: Jotunn-Slaying Weaponry 1D
Minor Mental Hindrance (Reckless) 1D
Minor Mental Hindrance (Glory Hound) 1D
Major Social Hindrance (Strange Looking) 2D

Competency Pool [5D]

I have intercepted seventy-four tales this week about the underground district of the Svartálfar. Information suggests that agents from all Nine Realms are being planted there. Skulking and scheming, of course, for the energies tapped around the World Tree's roots. Pitiful! Not one of them is strong enough to best the others in their puny struggles. Haha, perhaps old Níðhöggr and Enma will sort them out. What a sight that would be!

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

TurninTrix posted:

Ingeborg Menjasdóttir (Bendigeidfran)
What's greatest piece of loot you've plundered and how did you lose it to Valhalla Company?

Oh, it was so marvelous my memory banks still hum at the thought. A heartstring of All-Father Ymir himself. Radiating colors in every spectrum, rippling the flow of time with each mighty beat! Think of the treasures that Brother Rungne, no, that any smith in the Nine Realms could make after a mere glance at it. With its secrets the humble wisps of Muspelheim could build a palace rivaling Valhalla! I would weep at the loss, if my visor allowed it.

But I should begin the story. One of your human "Agencies" had unearthed the string and thought they could transport it in one of their pathetic trucks. Do they always think they're so clever? You could conquer half of Midgard with the mob that was shadowing it. I simply followed their wake until the truck exploded by the bay.

There was a fine scuffle at the scene. A hailstorm of missiles from cliffside Amazons, a Nephilim blasting away with his cannon, bands of oni knocking sedans at the guards still left standing. And I bested the lot of them! I hefted all who stood in my way into the ocean's waves, and raised the string above me in victory. My next step however...ah, it- it was a mistake. The joy must have rushed to my head, made me drunk. I'd called down the lightning to mark my triumph.

Valhalla Company appeared after that. Appeared around me, above me. And I do not remember what happened next. Nothing. Only a Valkyrie's horn-blast and the ruined forms of the other fighters. The finest minds in Utgard, my own creators, could not dredge the data from my core. They had taken the heartstring and left its memory in me out of spite. They will regret that.

TurninTrix posted:

Everyone
If you had the power to alter the Nine Realms in a cosmic level, what's the first thing you would do?

Midgard's Root is a wondrous place. There should be more like it! I would build a ship to travel the spaces between stars, through the seams within time. Use it to fuse the furthest reaches of existence to this knot in the Realms. I'd bring Convergence to lands beyond even the gods' imagination! To test my mettle against myths still unspoken, and those that have vanished from the worlds. Nothing would be more grand!

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Smash him into the sky, Aether! Show that starved excuse of a god how a real fight is won!

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

TurninTrix posted:

Ingeborg
Do you keep in touch with Professor Alfsdóttir? Recently, the Jötunn approached her to ask for their "payment" for their part for creating you. What does that entail?

Now and then she sends Thiazi, our little metal falcon, to slip in through the bridge and exchange news. He is a strong bird. I'd defy anyone in Midgard's Root that dares think they could intercept him! The professor insists I relay everything in code now, and even Thiazi ruffles his feathers when I do. It's unneeded. A warrior speaks as she wills.

Their payment? A crate of blueprints, a bookcase of myths, all the cattle we roasted for supper. And one thing that truly deserves the name. A ledger she kept on her worst scientific rivals, and her oath that any Jötunn projects involving them would go untouched. She was tearing her hair out over it. All her dreams of me dismantling their work in front of them, melted like snow on a funeral pyre. Well, I can still seize that chance! Brother Rungne has mentioned "mistakes".

_____
I'm okay with Folkvangr being a low-key thing like Libra is, since it lets us bum around the city without attracting too much attention. Midgard's Root should be the kind of city where an 8-foot robot can order lunch and no one bats an eye.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Wow those are great.

• Locked thread