Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Sagishi-no-hime

It all used to be so much simpler before this big old tree decided to show up and remind humanity of the supernatural. You see, before Yggdrasil decided to pop into this world, humanity had already stopped believing in the Yōkai. Of course, they did because they were tricked into doing so. The Yōkai didn't disappear, they simply got older, wiser... and sneakier. The few times a Yōkai was seen in modern times, it was believed to be the ramblings of a madman, or a simple hoax. The Yōkai have adjusted to modern life. For example, the Kitsune largely work as spies or information brokers. Only a few still follow the old traditions. For a Kitsune with eight tails like Sagishi-no-hime, who had upwards of 800 years to practice her shapeshifting, it is basically impossible to be found out.

By humans, anyway. Inugami's kin, the dogs, as well as their Yōkai relatives, never forgave the foxes for the wrongdoings of the past. But still, it was easy enough to avoid them - one only had to watch out on the streets as one would in a disreputable part of a city. In Japan, it was the easiest, given the many shrines to Inari that serve as sanctuary for Kitsune. The Namiyoke Inari Shrine in Tokyo - or Edo, as it was called when Sagishi-no-hime was brought into this world, held fond memories for her, as it was her home for the last five-hundred years, as she served as its unseen guardian for many generations. Still, she enjoyed traveling every now and then as well, which, given her agelessness, lead to her learning close to if not all of Midgard's cultures and languages over time.

Sadly, times change. When the tree bore through the veil of reality, humanity's interest in the supernatural skyrocketed. The fact that the Aesir proved so many myths to be right (such as their legendary arrogance) got people to be paranoid about the Yōkai once more. Kitsune, especially, had always gotten mixed receptions. The more scholarly knew how to differentiate the good from the evil foxes, but the common folk rarely did. Thankfully, the shrines remained safe, but Sagishi-no-hime was unable to remain - for the deity Inari looked at the unfolding scenario with great worry and called for her aid to set things on a more predictable, safer course.

To achieve this goal, Sagishi-no-hime adopted a human guise by the name of Kuzunoha Kabuki.

Kuzunoha Kabuki

It was all too easy to manipulate the humans to band together and create an organization to protect both Yggdrasil and the rest of Midgard - all she had to do is point at the near-disaster of the first contact with the Æsir and remind them that this was only the power of one of the other worlds, and not all seek to safeguard Yggdrasil, and almost none care about Midgard.

The organization in question is called Folkvangr.She joined the organization as an advisor on the Yōkai. The irony was not lost on her, of course.

On a rather quiet evening after work, Kuzunoha enjoyed the silence (apart from the meowing of her nine cats) that came from the absense of her roommate, a kitsune with only one tail but a lot of curiosity. The two of them live in a small, unassuming apartment in the southwestern edge of Midgard's Root. As she looked out of the window, a most curious white fox entered through it. Unsurprising to her, it started talking. “Greetings, Sagishi-no-hime. Inari-sama is pleased with your work. With Folkvangr’s founding, we should have a lot more success at keeping threats to this world sealed within this city.”

The words filled her with relief. Finally, she was able return home to the shrine and- “However, Inari-sama requires your services once more. You are to lend your power to Folkvangr openly. There is too much at stake not to.”

Kuzunoha Kabuki sighed. “Are you sure about this? I only have eight tails. I lack the divinity of a nine-tails. Ragnarok harbors at least one god, and the demon swordsman Nobunaga Oda. Surely the power of a nine-tails would be more suited for this?”

“You have been chosen by Inari-sama. I only relay the message. Will you accept your duty?”

Kozunoha Kabuki poured herself some sake, and took a sip. “Fine…” escaped her lips as she handed the white fox some tofu, which ate it wordlessly. “However, do inform Inari-sama that I do not think my power is adequate. I humbly request some aid, possibly by a nine-tails or two.”

“It shall be my duty. Farewell, Sagishi-no-hime.” the fox replied before disappearing out of the same window it once entered. Kuzunoha sighed deeply, followed by finishing her sake, then pouring more and more until she finally fell drunk. She didn't remember what happened after, but according to her roommate, Kuzunoha had passed out on the floor at some point.

Really, who could blame her? A Kitsune’s work is done in secret, not openly. Not only is she expected to work openly, but also fight Ragnarok. Ragnarok means dangerous people and even gods like Nobunaga… Loki… and worst of all, the servants of Inugami. The dog spirits. She really, really was afraid of going against them. A single bark in the distance had always been enough to startle her.

The next morning, she revealed her true form to Sigurd. He was surprised to find a Yōkai amongst the ranks of Folkvangr, but is always willing to accept skilled assistance.

Many Kitsune live in Midgard's Root. That means there are many ears that listen to the street, and many mouths that speak if you know where to listen. The most alarming rumor is that the apparently demon-possessed warrior Nobunaga Oda is binding the souls of his subordinates of old into suits of armor to raise an army...

Other events Sagishi-no-hime became aware of:

- The Kitsune sent to spy on one of Muspelheim's regents hasn't reported in for an suspiciously long time.
- An unusually large amount of Inugami's servants reside in Skyroot.
- A few weapon manufacturers are secretly supplying RAGNAROK.
- Seven cursed Muramasa blades, also known as the 'Demon Blades', have made their way into Midgard's Root. Only two have been recovered so far. A young human woman in a kimono was seen with one of the blades, apparently wielding it without suffering its horrible side-effects. She has been seen slaying multiple monsters. Investigation into the identity of the woman have so far been fruitless.
- Strange plant monsters of uncertain origin haunt gardens in the western part of the city at night. The police force is covering up the events for an unknown reason.

Sagishi-no-hime posted:

Resistances: 5D
Composure 3D, Fortitude 2D, Reaction 2D, Will 2D

Aptitudes: 5D
Awareness 2D
Occultism 3D [Specialization: Yōkai 4D / Complication: Only Yōkai]
Intrusion 3D

Powers: 14D
Elemental Control – Fox Fire 2D [Complication: Conditional - Only in Hybrid or Fox Form -1D / Limited Use: No Movement -1D]
Illusions 5D [Boost: Additional Sense 2D, Split Action 1D, Area Effect: 3D, Complication: Only in your Mind -1D]
Shape Change 3D [Complication: Limited Form (Fox Form, or Hybrid Forms only) -1D]
Healing 1D [Boost: Extra Effect when: Out of Combat 1D]

Advantages: 1D
Allies: Servants of Inari (Spy/Information Broker Network) 1D
Omni Translator 1D [Complication: Only Midgard's languages -1D]

Disadvantages: -5D
Enemies: Servants of Inugami -2D
Phobia: Cynophobia (afraid of dogs) -1D
Duty: Servants of Inari -1D
Vengeful -1D

Competency Pool: 5D

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

K Prime, you don't need to specialize until you try to go over 3D in aptitudes. Also, you get 5D Competency Die for free.

You may also want to look into Super Aptitude: Presence since it seems to be such a large part of your character.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 29, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

What is this, an actual human in a game about humanity's greatest defenders?!

Love the picture, by the way.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 31, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

TurninTrix posted:

Sagishi-no-hime (Yami Fenrir)
So, even if most of the Folkvangr don't realize your true involvement with them, the kitsune don't have the best reputation in Midgard's Root. How are you earning the group's trust, if you're making that attempt at all?

Everyone
If you had the power to alter the Nine Realms in a cosmic level, what's the first thing you would do?

Sagishi-no-hime has always believed in the notion that actions speak both louder and truer than words can (this is quite common in kitsune communities). Showing the commander her true form was simply a way of showing her trust in him. She doesn't intend to reveal her true form unless absolutely necessary. The commander knowing about her secret is enough to her. In her mind, simply being a reliable member of the team and sticking with them when push comes to shove should be a sign of trustworthiness enough. If it's not, it doesn't really matter to her - after all, she works with Folkvangr out of her duty to Inari, not out of actual conviction. She'll simply work on another squad of Folkvangr's, or even alone if she has to.

What would she do if she had that power? It's a close call. She'd either completely get rid of Inugami and his accursed servants, or rewind time and stop Yggdrasil from breaking through into this world - both would get a lot of hassle out of her way, and help out other Kitsune by proxy.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 3, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

And in the corner, Sagishi-no-hime sighed, thinking "here they go again..."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

That... does seem like the most likely winner, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Ah well, have fun, ya'll.

• Locked thread