Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Character Suggestion: Stylish!

Show off equipment encumbrance mechanics in style by slayin' zombies dying horribly in a dress (not the sundress, that's low-encumbrance) and heels. For bonus style points, use swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Sorites posted:

Character Suggestion: Stylish!

Show off equipment encumbrance mechanics in style by slayin' zombies dying horribly in a dress (not the sundress, that's low-encumbrance) and heels. For bonus style points, use swords.

This, but use a gold brick.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Mini-Update - Tileset Roundup

There's been some talk of tilesets in the thread, with some people unable to tell the tileset I'm using from straight ASCII. Which I can understand, 10x10 is a pretty small image, and on some monitors they can just blur together. So let's do some comparisons. It's worth noting, my monitor only supports up to 1366x768, so increasing the size of the screenshots can only go so far.

I've set up a small tableau with one of my messing-around characters. Here it is in vanilla ASCII.

Not incredibly informative. You've seen what most things look like in RetroDays10px, so let's move straight to 20. Same thing, just larger.

Can't see quite as far naturally, but we have more visual information on what things are. You can at least tell that I'm sitting in a garage with some stuff piled around me.

Thuztor'@:

Thuztor'@ isn't terrible, although it's a little too light-colored for my tastes. Too many objects are represented as question marks, but at least the motorcycle looks kinda like a motorcycle. I went for a little stroll, and vehicles look pretty good in this tileset. The rest of it is really not to my taste, though.

Tsu's:

Tsu's is again not terrible, and again vehicles look kinda okay, but again, we've got a lot of missing item graphics, and the police car pileup outside looks horrible.

Blockhead's:

Blockhead's tileset is much larger than the others so far, but has good representational detail. Unknown items seem to generally revert to ASCII, and the environment is, to my mind, sufficiently real-is-brown for the apocalypse.

ChestHole:

Dear god, I'm an anime. The ChestHole set does a great job of making vehicles look appropriate, has very few missing items that I can see (Although you can tell a lot of graphics are shared with Blockhead's), and actually reflects on your sprite what you're wearing. Unfortunately, the "more than one item on this tile" indicator is really hard to see, and the environment graphics look horrible. As a bonus, check out this NPC that showed up while I was doing this.

:clint:

Deon's:

...It's like Blockhead's, but with even fewer graphics. Look at the motorcycle! It's basically a witches' broom with a wheel! :barf:

Hoder's:

Not to be confused with Hodor, Hoder's tileset is the default provided by the game options. It shares some graphics with Tsu's, but has a lot of missing items. I'm pretty sure from anecdotes that it has missing enemies, too, imagine being attacked by a verboten sign and having to look to make sure it wasn't going to murder you immediately.

MShock:

The MShock tileset comes in two flavors: 24 and 32 pixels. It's essentially the same as ChestHole, but more anime and without the sprite equipment. The environment is done a little bit plainer, however, which I find better.

RetroASCII:

And finally, we have RetroASCII, a small, square version of the regular ASCII.

Personally, I really like the RetroDays set. I will admit I have trouble reading the 10x10 version myself. So, for future updates, I'll use the 20px size and expand my window size. 1096x640 will fit on my screen and doesn't look like it'll stretch the forums on my end, but I'll only find that out once I post it. Worst-case scenario, I drop it down to 1000 pixels wide.

If I absolutely had to choose another tileset, I'd go for ChestHole. Or just go back to ASCII and gently caress all y'all.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Your last picture is really easy to read now you have made it all a bit bigger. Thank you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah, with the roundup here it seems like half the problem is just the really small tiles. It is practically impossible to tell the difference between the PC and a number of the NPC sprites at a glance just because they are so tiny.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The MShock/ChestHole tilesets seem like they might be easier to read in an LP, since you can't really mouse over things to see what they are like in the game. But if you want to keep using RetroDays I don't really mind, but I can see why it would be hard to read, especially if you haven't played the game before.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I really prefer MShock/ChestHole, to be honest - as someone who hasn't played the game, I would never in a million years have guessed that the o<Oo in the middle was meant to be a motorcycle in RetroDays.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I use Mshock mostly just because the 32x version is much more readable, with the zoom feature (press z) the size of the tiles is less important, because you can always zoom out to see more if you need to, but being able to zoom in is nice.

The 20x version is much easier to read on your set.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Is the wiki.cataclysmdda 500'd for anyone else?

Where else can I download these alternate tilesets?

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
I just use ASCII because you can gently caress with the font. Use a square font and the smallest characters it will support, and you can see EVERYTHING.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is the wiki.cataclysmdda 500'd for anyone else?

Where else can I download these alternate tilesets?

The wiki randomly goes down sometimes. It returns as silently and mysteriously as it left.

The tilesets are included with the game. Go into your graphical options and one of the options lets you switch between them. You'll have to close and reopen the game for the change to take effect, I think.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cool. Also, it's been awhile, what's the Drag command, for moving lumber and stuff?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Shift+G lets you drag vehicles and furniture, but for items you can actually pick up there's no drag command (I don't think you can drag felled trees either, I'm pretty sure they're considered terrain). You'll want to use the advanced inventory thing ("/" I think?) to move items from the ground in bulk; ideally, you'll use that to mass-transfer everything into a wheelbarrow or shopping cart, then drag that around.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's nice to hear people either like or can't see RetroDays. :v:

It was really designed for people with lower-res monitors, like me. Mine are fairly old now, with a native res of 1680x1050. Hence the tiny 10x10 tiles, so you (as in the player, not the character) can see a decent distance in-game. There's only so much detail you can get with 10x10 pixels - or even 9x9 a lot of the time, since you usually need a border so the tiles don't run together visually.

When I first tried CDDA out, I tried the tilesets it had at the time - notably Deon's, from memory - and they looked fine, but I couldn't see far enough because the tiles were too large for the resolution I had to work with. Panning the view around all the time got to be annoying pretty quickly.

I then tried a tileset that wasn't included with the game at the time; the "Retro/ASCII" tileset by HRose - itself based on a C64-inspired charset by Trihook. It was 10x10 so it allowed a great view distance, and I loved the way it looked, but it wasn't finished - missing tiles everywhere - so I started adding to it myself. Later on I released it as a mod, called "RetroDays" to avoid confusion with HRose's tileset. Later still it was added to the game itself.

It's always been made as a 10x10 tileset - and that's the way I use it myself - but I also put a 20x20 version in because it's easy to scale it up, and people wanted it. It's definitely the way to go if you like the way it looks but the 10x10 version is too small for you.

chiefnewo posted:

Yours is my favourite tileset - if yours didn't exist I'd stick to the ASCII. All the other tilesets are too bright and busy, the dark background and clean straightforward designs of yours make it much easier to read a screen quickly. I'd love for a 15x15 midway between the 10x10 and 20x20, but I'm too lazy to edit the json to account for enlarging the 10x10 png.

This is easy enough to do - just change the width and height values at the top of the tile_config.json - but enlarging it by 1.5x rather than a whole number would result in it looking a bit rough. 20x20, 30x30, etc are fine, but something like 15x15 will look a bit :pwn:.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So I was looking at the wiki and now I must suggest this:

:siren::psylon::siren:RoboCop Challange:siren::psylon::siren:

Starting build: RoboCop, duh. Take whatever you need to be as close to RoboCop as you can be. The old RoboCop, not the lovely remake.

Name: His friends call him Alex Murphy, but zombies can call him RoboCop.

Restrictions: You must serve the public trust, protect the innocent, and uphold the law.

Mods: Up to you. Pick ones you enjoy.

Cheating: W/e you need to be a fair and balanced RoboCop.

Goals: Clear an entire town of crime.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Antistar01 posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I like the look of RetroDays the most out of all the tilesets presented despite having problems seeing it. It's nice and colorful without being horribly garish. I was annoyed that it's hard to see the player because at 10x10 you're just a white blob, but I think the OP taking it to the 20x20 version will fix my issue.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 26, 2015

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

So I was looking at the wiki and now I must suggest this:

:siren::psylon::siren:RoboCop Challange:siren::psylon::siren:

Starting build: RoboCop, duh. Take whatever you need to be as close to RoboCop as you can be. The old RoboCop, not the lovely remake.

Name: His friends call him Alex Murphy, but zombies can call him RoboCop.

Restrictions: You must serve the public trust, protect the innocent, and uphold the law.

Mods: Up to you. Pick ones you enjoy.

Cheating: W/e you need to be a fair and balanced RoboCop.

Goals: Clear an entire town of crime.

With Icecoon's weapon mod pack installed, you can get Robocop's gun. It's the L39-something something pistol with 3 round burst. It's not very powerful, unfortunately, which dampened my hopes for my own Robocop playthrough.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Antistar01 posted:

Just found the iso version of the tileset - it looks really cool. Movement is a bit weird at the moment with it, I assume that is why it isn't enabled by default.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Missing sprites for things is a bigger problem than you'd think for the tilesets. The default one renders most wild animals as zombies, which would make screenshots pretty confusing to look at, especially ones involving zombies fighting wild animals.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to state-of-the-apocalypse medical technology next time out!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is looking pretty good so far. I love complex crafting systems.

I take that there is no end goal beyond surviving, and that you have to keep moving, right? Is there any way to farm or otherwise become self sufficient a la UnReal World?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There's farming but it's still kinda wonky, mostly due to the variable season lengths. But if you find an anthill near a swamp, you can quite easily make effectively infinite ant jerky that never goes off.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Fat Samurai posted:

I take that there is no end goal beyond surviving, and that you have to keep moving, right? Is there any way to farm or otherwise become self sufficient a la UnReal World?

High survival lets you forage bushes and trees for all the food you could ever want, in addition to making it possible to get more materials out of butchery. There is farming but there's some luck involved in getting together some types of seeds which only appear at uncommon types of stores. There's also one way to end the game besides simply dying to a zombie or committing suicide but it's not exactly finished or even super rewarding from what I recall.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

It's reasonably easy to establish a food supply that lasts for far, far longer than you really need to worry about. On default item spawn rates, raiding a supermarket and a house or two should give you enough food to last you until you grind up your survival skills enough to get into foraging for food and the cooking skills and equipment to turn it all into a non-perishable form. The main reason to wander around is to keep finding more challenging areas, bigger and badder weapons, and fresh zombie hordes to test those on.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I Think Chesthole is now the default tileset anyway, and is actively updated. Also I yell at the dev sometimes so thats fun.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Tehan posted:

There's farming but it's still kinda wonky, mostly due to the variable season lengths. But if you find an anthill near a swamp, you can quite easily make effectively infinite ant jerky that never goes off.

If you find an anthill, you can just loot it for the disgusting, yet nutritious ant eggs. There's enough of those to keep you going for years, likely.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Capilarean posted:

If you find an anthill, you can just loot it for the disgusting, yet nutritious ant eggs. There's enough of those to keep you going for years, likely.

I once started in a shelter that was close enough to an anthill that the basement staircase led to the maze of twisty passages beyond just where the eggs were, judging by that expedition you might find fresh fruit as well but presumably only if it's been recently collected by the ants (it's also possible they don't actually collect food and this is just how anthill undergrounds spawn before rot timers are figured in and all the fruit disappears). I also found CBMs there weirdly enough.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I do think Ants are one of the more interesting enemies in the game. I mean they're not the toughest or most interesting to fight, but I like how they have well defined roles and you can even peacefully co-exist with them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am going to assume these are giant ants. Like, EDF sized.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I once started in a shelter that was close enough to an anthill that the basement staircase led to the maze of twisty passages beyond just where the eggs were, judging by that expedition you might find fresh fruit as well but presumably only if it's been recently collected by the ants (it's also possible they don't actually collect food and this is just how anthill undergrounds spawn before rot timers are figured in and all the fruit disappears). I also found CBMs there weirdly enough.

I guess ant nests count as a dungeon so they spawn from the good loot tables? Plus in the game's setting getting modded was starting to become common place so I guess the CBMs are just left overs from the ants feeding?

As for food, even a small town can keep you in bags of chips and cans of beans for more than a year. The wilderness provides fresh game from hunting, foraging brush gets you wild vegetables and bird eggs plus fruiting trees three out of four seasons. Getting fed isn't that hard, it's staying hydrated that can be a struggle. Town dwellers can drink boiled toilet water for a while once the sodas run out but you'd be surprised how fast you'll get through it, you really want a swimming pool near by for long term habitation. Survival in the wilderness is nearly impossible without a nearby river, rain collection is too inefficient and resource intensive on it's own.

That said I've not tried building a well before.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

I am going to assume these are giant ants. Like, EDF sized.

Not quite that big sadly. I think the game mentions that workers are the size of a large dog so the warriors and queen would both be larger than that, but nowhere near the semi-truck sized EDF ants.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Which is both good, because EDF ants would loving butcher less experienced characters, and bad, because butchering EDF ants would yield an asston of meat and chitin.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Which is both good, because EDF ants would loving butcher less experienced characters, and bad, because butchering EDF ants would yield an asston of meat and chitin.

As well as incremental health upgrades and occasionally, incredibly powerful and zany weapons.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
God drat this game has gotten harder. Or I've just become more foolhardy. Basements, why don't you give good loot any more?!

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

God drat this game has gotten harder. Or I've just become more foolhardy. Basements, why don't you give good loot any more?!

Every basement I find these days is a drat grow house. Where's the guns, drat it

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
"Oh poo poo son, living Cuisinart coming through, any zombies get in my way they best be prepared to get - *cough*"
*basement inexplicably has like five smokers in it*
"*cough*gently caress*cough*goddamnit*cough*stupid*cough*beak*cough**cough*"

Spitters aren't nearly as bad now that I have rubber boots, but seriously gently caress smokers

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

"Oh poo poo son, living Cuisinart coming through, any zombies get in my way they best be prepared to get - *cough*"
"*cough*gently caress*cough*goddamnit*cough*stupid*cough*beak*cough**cough*"

Spitters aren't nearly as bad now that I have rubber boots, but seriously gently caress smokers

carry an emergency o2 tank, once the smokers are gone take a hit and clear it.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

chiefnewo posted:

Every basement I find these days is a drat grow house. Where's the guns, drat it

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'm suddenly imagining smoker zombies as just being really bizarrely violent stoners.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Something has gotten into the kush since the skies turned to blood; something harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
There's a character idea. The noble stoner guru, wandering the city on a quest to save all the ganja from evil. Sorta like Snowflame's super-chill cousin.

We will call him GREENWISE. Because he also likes to shop at PUBLIX (the fried chicken, mann. It's sooooo gooooodd)

• Locked thread