Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I'm not sure if anyone is still playing this as the old thread got archived. I hadn't really played it before, but recently started screwing around on the L2Toxic server since it seems pretty popular - typically 6-7k people online (probably half of those are shops though), 50x exp rates, 100x adena rates, and a custom shop that allows you to farm in special zones to buy S grade and above gear. It's fully oriented towards PvP and you can get up to level 70 in a few hours so it's pretty easy to get going.

Since I'm pretty new to the game I'm pretty terrible at this PvP thing and get killed pretty easily. It'd be nice to have some people to roam around and gank with and maybe show me how to not suck, so if you're interested it's pretty easy to set up - just go to the site, download their client, patch, make an account, and you're off. I've got probably 8 level 60+ chars that I was trying out classes with, but my primary is a 78 elemental master.

I know some goons were playing on another server according to the old thread, however I really like the super high rates; I tried some lower rate servers but the grind is really terrible and I'd rather get to PvP as soon as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

This is really tempting, is there a working bot config that we could use?

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Vier posted:

This is really tempting, is there a working bot config that we could use?

I just looked at the rules and it only seems to mention "cancel botting" being prohibited. I'm new to L2 and haven't done any botting so I'm not sure.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

http://www.l2botolympics.com/
:stwoon: :stwoon: :stwoon: :stwoon:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I can't imagine what Russia will do to this poor, poor server.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
If anyone is interested I'd also be cool playing on another server that's deemed better, this is really just the first one I came across, though I'm not really into botting so I'm not sure about the bot olympics.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

If you can get a few people who have some idea of what they're doing I might hop in, I have barely any experience with L2 but my lust for kMMOs is impossible to sate.

Paging Super Space Jam 64 to thread, paging Super Space Jam 64 to thread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if someone wants to teach me this bad game ill play

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

I have asked if we can get a mumble channel set up, see http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380
for the time being I created one in the "Misc Channels" section at the bottom of the list.

Any of the top sites will help to find a "good" server
http://www.topgamesites.net/lineage2
http://www.gtop100.com/topsites/Lineage-2

I don't mind where we play but my hours would be limited, perhaps a few a night so mid or high rates would be appreciated.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Vier posted:

I have asked if we can get a mumble channel set up, see http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380
for the time being I created one in the "Misc Channels" section at the bottom of the list.

Any of the top sites will help to find a "good" server
http://www.topgamesites.net/lineage2
http://www.gtop100.com/topsites/Lineage-2

I don't mind where we play but my hours would be limited, perhaps a few a night so mid or high rates would be appreciated.

I'm currently playing on L2Toxic (#1 on the first link), but just doing a quick browse, Equanimity looks pretty interesting. I think I'll give it a try this weekend, but has anyone played on it before? How does this look to other people?

To the new guys, I hadn't played L2 at all before about a week ago, and I'm now level 79 with a 63 subclass and full S grade gear, and this server isn't even the most generous for getting higher-grade items, so you can pick it up pretty quickly. When we choose a server I can give it a go and maybe write a quick guide for getting started out and the general big-ticket things to get (like how to progress in gear, tattoos, subclasses, attributes, etc).

Phayray fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 27, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Get to level 65+, put on D grade armor and weapons and hang out in front of newbie town. They'll shoot you first, it's fantastic.

scrubasaurusrex
Jul 11, 2009
You can buy gold from web!

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

I look forwards to remaking xXBotKillaXx just pick a good server.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

scrubasaurusrex posted:

You can buy gold from web!

top quality goods..... at the best price

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

I don't understand the point of playing this game with high or even mid rate, I mean yeah you get the gear but so does everyone else and leveling is over so quickly that it just becomes about getting castles or something??

Lineage 2 is a ganking/team PvP game and the good grind/bot spots are like the minerals in Starcraft that you fight over

AshTheZombie
Apr 17, 2003
Undead
Retail time?
Its just as packed with BRs and greeks as private servers. Crap rates but at least there's no wipes.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I don't understand the point of playing this game with high or even mid rate, I mean yeah you get the gear but so does everyone else and leveling is over so quickly that it just becomes about getting castles or something??

Lineage 2 is a ganking/team PvP game and the good grind/bot spots are like the minerals in Starcraft that you fight over

Because without a access to working bots some of us do not have the time to invest any more :(

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I'm doing it for the PvP and I prefer the high rates so I can get to the end game and PvP quicker. Castles/TvT (Team vs Team)/Olympiad seem to be the primary end-game activities, along with some raiding (where apparently there's a lot of PvPing as people fight over the raid bosses).

TheAshZombie posted:

Retail time?
Its just as packed with BRs and greeks as private servers. Crap rates but at least there's no wipes.

I'm playing on L2Toxic which supposedly hasn't had a wipe in its 5 year uptime.

Since I'm already here and relatively high level (and can help people out), how about we give L2Toxic a shot? If that sounds good, I can write up a giant effort post this afternoon with basic information for new people, stuff that's server-specific, and I'll do a 1-80 leveling guide. With a guide you should be able to do 1-60 in 2 hours or less which will get you to the point where you actually start to care about your armor and we can run around killing things.

Edit: To get started on L2Toxic, go to the download page, download the client (using the first link mine finished in ~30 mins), then run LineageII.exe in the folder and it will patch to their server. You'll need to make an account here then you're good to go. You don't need to download the patch manually or anything, just the 1 client download.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 28, 2015

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Vier posted:

Because without a access to working bots some of us do not have the time to invest any more :(

On L2Toxic the farming zones have an anti-bot system where it pops up a window and asks you to match text colors. You may be able to beat this with a good botting program, not sure - you could easily bot the grind though, the anti-botting measures just apply to the high level farming zones (and not even the high level exp zones).

AshTheZombie
Apr 17, 2003
Undead
L2Toxic is Gracia though, I need my Iss!

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

AshTheZombie posted:

L2Toxic is Gracia though, I need my Iss!

What's lss?

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Phayray posted:

What's lss?

http://l2wiki.com/Iss_Enchanter

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Gotcha. So is High Five what I should be looking for then?

scrubasaurusrex
Jul 11, 2009
"With this expansion comes new ways for heroes to increase their power. Level 99 is no longer the end of the leveling journey. Heroes can now fight their way to 100 and beyond. And along with that come some new skills."

You can poopsock forever now. Makes you think.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Just pick a server already! I doubt this will last that long, anyway. :v:

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

http://lineage2classic.com/

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

3x rates??? Well, okay...

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Silento posted:

3x rates??? Well, okay...

Yeah your right far too low, I just thought it would be a change from the interlude,hifive servers

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

retail deleted my character, thank you retail for saving me from myself

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I read about that and was shocked. I'm pretty sure that makes Lineage 2 the only major(or formerly major) MMO to do an inactive account wipe like that. I know a few tiny F2P games that did it, which caused an uproar even within their small communities. I got the notice that they were going to do it with my account, but I couldn't've cared less. It was annoying though, as I had originally bought the game in 2004, which makes it worse since most of the accounts they deleted probably payed money for the game.

That no one cares is telling, though.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I started a character on L2 Equanimity if someone else wants to give it a shot. It's 120x EXP and 250x adena with constant refreshes to vitality, custom farming zones, gm shop, etc. The features are listed here and the instructions for getting started are here.

This is really high rate and the focus seems to be on end-game/PvP, so hopefully that's what people are interested in!

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Phayray posted:

I started a character on L2 Equanimity if someone else wants to give it a shot. It's 120x EXP and 250x adena with constant refreshes to vitality, custom farming zones, gm shop, etc. The features are listed here and the instructions for getting started are here.

This is really high rate and the focus seems to be on end-game/PvP, so hopefully that's what people are interested in!

I'm trying this out at the minute what is your character names?

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

Phayray posted:

Gonna try this out, but I'll probably get bored in an hour and uninstall.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Vier posted:

I'm trying this out at the minute what is your character names?

Baby Nanny posted:

Gonna try this out, but I'll probably get bored in an hour and uninstall.

I'm on as Micah. Some random new clan invited me and are looking for English speaking players so hit me up if you wanna join.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 7, 2015

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
For the new guys, a quick leveling guide:

1-6: The game will start you in an area with a bunch of level 1 dudes, kill 3-4 of these to hit level 6 or so. Make sure you activate your soulshots or spiritshots to do extra damage. Then, talk to the guy in the middle and click "Leave this area," which will take you to another leveling spot.

6-10: Once you teleport to the next area, talk to the Buffer NPC and get buffs appropriate for your class (click Fighter or Mage), then kill the level 9 guys until you hit 10. Once you hit 10 a window should pop up with a few recommended areas, which if you click on it will teleport you to. I usually go to the School of Dark Magic.

10-20: Just kill stuff until you hit 20 in this next area. I think another window pops up, this time go to Giran so you can do the class transfer. Sometimes a window will pop up giving you the option to do the class transfer on the spot, but usually I have to go to town and talk to the Class Master, who will do all 3 of the class transfers for you. Giran is a kind of central hub on this server so get used to coming here!

20-40: From the Global Teleporter, I go to The Ant Nest, which you can get to by selecting Gludio -> The Ant Nest. Running around here and killing stuff should get you to 40, at which point you can head back to Giran and do your next class transfer. Again, you might get a window pop up that will take you back or do the transfer, otherwise you may need to use your newbie teleport scroll to get back. The scroll will take you back to Gludio, which also has a Class Transfer dude next to the Gatekeeper.

At this point it might be a good idea to find a grocer or to go to the GM Shop and get some Scrolls of Escape (it's under Scrolls in the GM Shop) so you can get back to town whenever you want. Also, pick up a C grade weapon and C grade soulshots (melee) or blessed spirit shots (mages) from the GM Shop, which should increase your damage considerably.

40-52: There might be a better spot for this range but I go to Oren -> Ivory tower from the Global Teleporter. Head south out of the tower once you get there. At the end of the bridge, on the left, there's an area with Tarlk Bugbears and Fomors - kill these until 52. I say 52 because this is the point where you can use B grade gear. Head back to town and purchase a B grade weapon + shots. I don't bother with the B grade armor because I haven't found it to be really necessary.

52-61: Head to CoD (Cavern of Darkness I think?) Pond area from the Global Teleporter and kill stuff there. You can pretty much run around and try to find things that are the right level, or you can head back to town at 60/61 (61 unlocks A grade equipment) then port back to the CoD Hillside/Mountainside. I purchase the full A grade set, weapon + armor, because you'll be using it until you get S grade at 76 and it has some pretty nice bonuses. The various CoD areas should take you to 68/70, then you'll want to switch spots.

70-80: The Cave of Trials is the next stop - just farm the entrance until 74/75, then start moving deeper in. At around 76 I teleport straight to the Back Room and kill there until 80. Make sure to pick up a set of S grade armor and do your third class transfer at level 76!

80-85: Now that you've hit 80 make sure to pick up a set of S80 gear from the GM Shop. You might also want to pick up some Forgotten Scrolls (skill books) from the GM Shop as well, which you'll need from 81+. Head to the Frozen area from the Global Teleporter - I usually go to the "safe area" (no pvp) at this point so I don't have to deal with other people farming killing my weak level 80 self. You can ride this area all the way to 85, though it will obviously be the slowest stretch of leveling.

At 84, you can wear S84 armor - obtain the set (minus weapon) using your newbie scrolls. In the GM Shop, there is a Newbie section, which has the full S84 set with +7 enchant. It's also got the Oath prefix, which means it's easier to enchant/attribute. 1000 scrolls should be enough for a full set including jewelry, and I think leaves you a few left over. Once you hit 84 you should also get a Heart Stone as a reward, which will allow you to buy a top S84 weapon (second page of the GM Shop, "Top S84").

Congratulations, you made it to 85 - from here, try to participate in as many events (TvT, CTF, etc) as possible as they give nice rewards. You'll want to work on enchanting your armor up past +7, augmenting your weapons, adding attributes to your gear, subclasses, and rebirth. Rebirth is a system specific to L2 Equanimity I think - you can do a complete rebirth, which sets you back to level 20 and gives you rebirth feathers as a reward (note: I think you keep your skills, but I haven't done it so I'm not sure, talk to Beverly in Giran for info), which you can use to get extra skills or buy things at the GM Shop. There's also mini rebirth which gives you less feathers but only sets you back to level 84.

There's also solo and group instances, which are timed events (also at Beverly in Giran) that also give pretty nice rewards. I think you can only do these once per 24 hours.

Otherwise, there's the high level farm zone which requires a group - at least 2 unique (non-boxed, by IP) players to get drops. For solo, there's a few mid-level farm zones.

Edit: Just screwing around, made a Bladedancer, which took me ~30 mins to get to level 65 using the above steps.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 7, 2015

cristwelrine
Aug 5, 2014
Lineage 2 was interesting during the Chaotic Chronicles Era. Now it is a shallow shell. The promised and teased Lineage 3 has yet to arrive and lost its ticket on the hype train. Let it fade and play better games that are more challenging and interesting.
Lineage 2 had the best PVP activities of MMO's thanks to private servers, just that donations ruined them as well.

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.
Aight I dont think I like this server.. it has like way too much custom stuff and like no one on other than shops and some random PVP people decked out in a buncha high end gear. I'm gonna try out that lineage 2 classic server so I can remember how awful the game was back in the day.

Edit: or maybe I wont try it, downloaded the client and theres like no EXE's in the zip. Welp.

Baby Nanny fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 7, 2015

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

I had fun on some of the low rates we played on a year or two ago, can't remember their names though. They had healthy populations and one of them had been running for years and had a strict no-donations policy.

Problem is even if you can find a server without donation bullshit--and you will need to look long and hard, as there's big money in "donation" systems on L2 private servers and they DDoS each other to try to steal playerbase because of this--it's still Lineage 2, which is to say an uncontrollable, terrible piece of poo poo that does not feature most of the quality of life UI improvements common in most modern MMOs. I have fond memories of this game and am glad for it, but playing it now is an exercise in patience that I just can't manage anymore.

Super Space Jam 64 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 7, 2015

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.

I had fun on some of the low rates we played on a year or two ago, can't remember their names though. They had healthy populations and one of them had been running for years and had a strict no-donations policy.

Problem is even if you can find a server without donation bullshit--and you will need to look long and hard, as there's big money in "donation" systems on L2 private servers and they DDoS each other to try to steal playerbase because of this--it's still Lineage 2, which is to say an uncontrollable, terrible piece of poo poo that does not feature most of the quality of life UI improvements common in most modern MMOs. I have fond memories of this game and am glad for it, but playing it now is an exercise in patience that I just can't manage anymore.

Ya, this l2classic server says theres 0 donations but that its also in "beta". Still trying to figure out how to connect but me and Silento are gonna give it a try.

e: okay I'm in and I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I'm an elf on some tree island surrounded by goblins. ign is elgruntox if anyone wants to join in

Baby Nanny fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

you know you cant resist the kall of the kkkmmo

• Locked thread