Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried threw his head back in a roaring laughter. "Friend? No, I am no friend. As I said, I want to crush them. Crush them to a fine powder, so the Orc Lady can never again foul the land." He makes a motion as if throwing dust from his hand.. "If you are enemies of the Orc Lady as well, they I offer my hand as a friend." With this he puts his sword in his off-hand (carrying both in one hand) and thrusts his hand to the speaker for a handshake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Fortunately, the caravaners aren't THAT observant, and this far out they're not expecting urchin pickpockets. A minor fistfight brews up, and Alfie gets away unnoticed.

= = =

The sahuagin gives Leib'fried the eye for a long moment, and then another, before finally lowering the spear and shaking his hand. His expression doesn't change. Maybe it can't?

"I'll take it. You don't look like one of hers. Too much color. And it's not just the land, either." He steps back, shaking his head over at the raging river. "Acatl-pol hasn't been right for months, ever since her pasty goons passed through. Ice didn't form, what we got was rotten. Fish spawned short. Now it's like this. In mid-winter! We can't live like this!" There's a sound in the back of his throat that's not unlike someone blowing bubbles in milk. He stops, finally taking notice of Daria and Do behind the big ogre. "What're you out here for, anyway? Most just stick to the big road, like that lot."

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried grunted. "Awful. That sounds like the Orc Lady's work. As an enemy of my enemy, I count you as friend." he pats the Sahuagin on the arm.
"As for why we're here, we're on a hunting expedition."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria pops up from behind the ogre.
"Place has gone bad, you say? Seems like a pretty big problem. Maybe something we can help with. Course, we were focused on catching some local variety of foodstuff... But maybe we can do each other a good turn."

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do then pops up from behind the ogre, right after Daria.

"I am also no friend of the Orc Lady.", Do shakes as he says her name. "We are here to hunt some Garula for a bet but I wouldn't also like to help out anyway I can."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The sahaugin takes this all in, and walks around the reed wall of the encampment to talk to someone behind the gate. There's a conversation that sounds rather like rapids, and he returns in a few moments. "Maybe we can help each other, then. We have seen garula recently. They are up near the head of Acatl-pol, in the foothills next to the, uh..." He screws up his face. "Kidney Bean Ford. Crusader people named it. The pasty ones went that way, as well, before the river began to get wrong. I would guess they did something to the headwaters, but we do not go there. Acatl-pol flows from a cave in the mountains' feet." He grins. It's a very pointy smile. "You are chefs, yes? No-one else would hunt garula in midwinter. Look into it for us, and I will see what the Canselor can do for you."

You now have a very precise location! You also have a quest, with a somewhat nebulous reward--however, coming back empty-handed will probably make the sahaugin mad.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 29, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria smiles and gives a thumbs up.
"Hey, appreciate it. We'll definitely look into the head waters too. This is prime grazing land, it'd be pretty bad if it turned into a wasteland."

She pulls out a map and looks for the location mentioned.
"Well, times a wasting! There's still a race on, after all!"

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do nods at Sahaugin and Daira then turns to Lieb'freid, "Looks like we can kill two crows with swift jab. Lets hurry we have bet to win as well."

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

"It's your recipe. Let's go!" Alfie scurries along with the others.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

And with that, you're off! Passing around the outside of the sahaugin encampment, you head back to your original plan of following the Spillwine north. The occasional rice paddy or ranch slowly falls away, and you get into wilder countryside, untamed since the change of the Age.

The sahaugin's assessment was fair accurate, as you set up camp for the night in a grove of weeping willows--the Spillwine is definitely... well, unwell isn't quite right. Well enough. The otherwise rich countryside around Glitterhaegen is... tawdry, normal. Certainly horrifying news to the merchant lords, but probably moreso given the loss of the region's great grains. The ones likely to be feeling the changes most strongly are chefs like yourselves, which is reason enough to be concerned.

The river is still well over its banks when you wake the next morning, despite no more rain the last night. A bad sign. Just before midday, you come across what might normally be considered a ford, but is now more of a rapid. A wrought-iron sign driven into a huge tree now about a foot into the river proclaims that you've reached Kidney Bean Ford (by the mandate of the Crusader, upon the Second Campaign of Healthiness, et cetera). The Giantwalk looms in the distance; its foothills rise rapidly away from the ford. Off in the trees, you hear a strange trumpeting noise, and something is moving.

Garula.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 1, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria has a long knife in her hands.
"Showtime, boys. Stay put, this'll be just like nabbing pheasants."
Daria crouches low into the long grass and starts forward.
"Except, you know, giant and murderous."

She picks her way slowly towards the sound of the Garula, not sure if she could expect just one or a herd. Nevertheless, she knew what she was looking for in a wild one. Large, young, and healthy. Not exactly easy to bring down, but assuredly the best tasting.

Sneak Sneak Dex + Poacher: 1d20+10 21
Pick out a tasty looking Garula Wis + Ingredient Appraisal: 1d20+5 23

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried seeing Daria go, tries to circle around the other way, his weapons ready. hopefully if the thing descides to run the other way he can catch it.

Sneak: 1d20+7 17

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do also follows Liebfied, figuring out his plan. But he does a poorer job sneaking then Lieb'freid.

Sneak: 1d20+4+1 14

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The first thing that strikes Daria as she moves closer, and fewer and fewer trees get between her and the herd, is that she's clearly missed something. She was expecting herbivores, something along the lines of a cow, and to be fair, that's what they've got.

They're also almost twice her height, each.

Stories of the mammoths frost giants use as pack animals drift across the minds of the group--these aren't nearly as large as those, and they're missing a trunk, but otherwise the similarities are strong. You're starting to see why Errin only wanted one steak--an intact one will probably fill his biggest oven.

That said, they're still herbivores, munching away on the greenery on the rocks above the raging river, and they don't notice Daria at all as she creeps up towards the herd. There's a nice-looking candidate on the outer edge of the group, fits all of Daria's qualifiers. Leib' even manages to go unnoticed, moving at a distance towards a slight drop in the land towards the river. A couple of the more wary members do manage to spot Do, as the sun glints off his gloriously bald head, and pay very close attention to where he's moving--but he's just one man, and since they're watching him, that means they're facing away from Daria. The stage is all set.

The garula aren't going to make the first move here, so feel free to do what thou wilt in order to separate your target from the bunch.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 3, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

"Now there's a beaut." Daria whispers to herself. But how to get it isolated? Well, they were just herbivores. And there was Do in the distance, shining like a beacon. Seemed a good chance to try something. Garula rustling, Daria thinks to herself. That'll look great on the menu.
But now was the time for action! With the wary Garulas staring at Do, Daria has a simple time of it getting just a bit closer to the healthy looking bull at the edge of the herd. Then, after a bit of psyching up, she breaks into a run. She rushes for the hairy backside of the beast, then leaps, just about able to clamber up onto its back. Then she starts shouting.
"Yip! Kaiii! Kyai!"
Loud high noises, she was pretty sure that's how you rustled things. With any luck, the herd will move away, and Daria's ride will move away from the herd, into the waiting giant fork of Lieb'fried and company.

Ride the psuedo-elephant! Dex + Poacher: 1d20+10 16
Spook the psuedo-elephants! Cha + Sell the Experience: 1d20+8 25

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do's bald head glimmers brightly under the sun. (If the sun is not covered by the clouds.) Standing near Lieb'fried, he gets ready to jub at the Garula right front legs to make stumble.

Attack: 1d20+4+1 22
Damage: 1d6+4+1d8 10

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Don't think you can do that, Kenny, sorry. It would be rad, but I'm pretty sure that's slamming skill challenge and combat together without initiative and that's a no-no.

Fortunately...

Daria, unfortunately, is more used to poaching secrets from unwilling ears than animals from unwilling herds. Not that she doesn't do a good job of it--she's up there, no doubt! But it works a bit too well, and as the young garula's head fills with images of all kinds of terrible flying, shrieking things, it lets out a horrified bellow and charges off. It's all she can do to hold on!

However, the spookin' works pretty well on just about everything--the herd is abruptly convinced some kind of demon, or hyena, or maybe a demon hyena, has landed in its midst--garulas are good at smell, good at hearing, not great at the eyesight thing.They try to tear away from the noise, to regroup--which is very bad news for the Brushers, who unbeknownst to you arrived a scant few minutes short and have been trying to set up something similar on the other side! Their trap abruptly melts into confusion and loud swearing as instead of one plump but wounded cow, they wind up having to dodge the entire herd as it stampedes away from Daria.

This is all well and good, however, but concerns for later. YOUR cow makes itself a concern for NOW, coming through the brush at full tilt, wild-eyed, obviously in full panic. The good news is, Daria's on top of it, and she's coming right for your trap. That's about all you get.

ROLL FOR INITIATIVE. Daria unfortunately did not make a hard check and will be taking a penalty!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria shouts between big hairy facefulls of Garula rear end.
"Hey *mmph guys! Think *whumph I saw *oof the Brushers *whoah back *urgh that way!"
With as much as she's being bounced around, Daria doesn't have much time to prepare for battle. It's alright though, the hard part was out of the way anyway.

Initiative: 1d20+5 13

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried readies himself, holding the fork in both hands foreward, holding the fork and knife together in his other hand. Let the force of the ruinning Garula do the work.

Initiative: 1d20+5 13

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

Alfie gulps and nods, getting ready to do his part.

Init: 1d20+4 12

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The beast shakes Daria off, and charges! It's aiming for the one thing it saw--Do's bald head! Fortunately, the monk is fast enough to just barely dodge out of the way, getting clipped and sent tumbling into the nearby bushes. Unfortunately, Christophe was standing directly behind him! The portly halfling takes the charge square in the belly, the most disastrous region to hit a halfling in, and goes spinning off into the underbrush!

The garula is now surrounded on all sides, and on the back foot after its initial charge. The move is yours.

Aaaand Do rolls a natty 1 on his initiative. Let's go. Escalation Die is 0.

Initiative Order
>Leib'fried
Alfie Butterny
The Garula
Daria Damsel
"Jelly" Donuts

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried takes a stomping foot foreward and thrusts the fork foreward at the beast, and then swings his sword. One of the two is going to hit.

Attack Roll: 1d20+6 12
Damage Roll: 1d6+4 8
Edit: And miss damage is 2.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

"Come on then, don't let the Garruler get the better of you!" cheers Alfie, apparently opting to be moral support.

Alfie starts singing Song of Heroes, all allies get +1 to attack rolls

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Garula may not be particularly intelligent or finessed, but they are big. It levels a ferocious stomp at Leib'fried, who has the fortune to be expecting it, and dodges handily out of the way.

Garula Stomp: 1d20+8 15

Initiative Order

Leib'fried
Alfie Butterny

The Garula

>Daria Damsel
"Jelly" Donuts

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

I never rolled recoveries after the last fight :shobon:. Recovery: 1d8+1 7 hp regained, I'm at 20

Daria picks herself up from the grass and dashes towards the fight.
"Hey!" She shouts, "watch where you're stabbing it! Steaks no good if its all full a' holes!"
She rolls under the Garula's leg and gives it a slash on the inner leg, hoping to hit a tendon.
"Try the neck, no one around here eats head meat anyway."

Move to engage Garula
Evasive Strike vs AC: 1d20+5+1 17 1d8+1d4+4 16 Forgot song bonus, still not sure if that hits, 2 damage if it missed.
If I hit, I get to pop free from the Garula. If not, I have to stay engaged with it.

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
HP 20/21 (00)	Thief's Strike	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 5/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum Yes
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d8+4

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

(Sorry for not posting recently. Im back now though!)

Do leaps out of the bushes that he tumbled in, he looks towards where Christophe landed. "That would knock a person his size but shouldn't be fatal."

He leaps forward and tries to jab at its thick pelvis to get its attention.

Attack Leap and Jab in the pelvis!: 1d20+5 12
(Most likely a miss. So 1 miss damage.)
HP: 21/21
Ac: +1 bonus Current Ac 17

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The garula's thick, shaggy coat turns aside most blows! The big beast is still mostly in a panic, not really sure what's going on.

Escalation die is now at 1!

Initiative Order
>Leib'fried
Alfie Butterny
The Garula
Daria Damsel
"Jelly" Donuts

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried i getting clearly frustrated, mad even. Once again takes a double stab at the beast.

Attack Roll 1: 1d20+8 20
Attack Roll 2: 1d20+8 17
Damage Roll: 1d6+4+1d4 9

Miss Damage 2.

Edit: Forgot Escalation and the song bonus.
Edit 2: Forgot to mention here he's using his rage.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 17, 2015

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

Alfie finishes his song and darts forward with his knife, taking the opportunity to drive his knife into the beast's sides. "Lieb'fried, watch out! I think it's angry now!"

Melee Attack vs Garula: 1d20+4 23
Damage: 1d8+3 7
Song Maintenance: 1d20 1
Song finishes. Passing +2 to next attack to Lieb'fried
Alfie uses Stay Strong! (natural 16+) and gives Lieb'fried a +2 to AC for 1 turn.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The Garula roars in pain! Leib'fried is too close to its eyes for its comfort, but that little knife hits precisely where it hurts, at a crucial joint in its leg! It lashes out, and its foot comes down like a falling tree!

Who's Next: 1d6 4
Garula Stomp: 1d20+8 24 vs. AC
Alfie takes 20 damage!!

Initiative Order

Leib'fried
Alfie Butterny

The Garula

>Daria Damsel
"Jelly" Donuts

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 17, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Leib'fried looks at the halfling with raised eyebrow. "Well, that makes two of us then!"

((I forgot to mention in the post, I'm using rage above, though I mentioned it in the chat))

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Do side flips towards Alfie after he took a massive stomping from the Garula. "You took a heavy blow you need to move back and heal yourself.", he says and raises his right palm which is now deep purple and strikes at Garula's hide.

Venom Palm Strike: 1d20+6 14
Hit: damage: 1d8+1d8+4 12 and 5 ongoing poison
Miss: 1 damage

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria sees Alfie take a bad stomp.
"Alfie, get clear! We'll keep this thing locked down!"
With the creature more distracted, Daria takes a flying leap on to its front legs. Her knife digs into the meat, and she uses it as a handhold to swing up on top of it.
"Ha ha! I'll see if I can distract it from up here!"

Another Evasive Strike
Evasive Strike vs AC: 1d20+5+1 21 1d8+1d4+4 8 if this didn't hit I'll eat my books
Spending Momentum to Swashbuckle! Climbing up top this thing!
dunno what I can do up here. Maybe try to herd it, keep it from stomping on squishy people? :yayclod:

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 5/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum No

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

You can sure give it a shot! You could also see if it's less tanky up top, or use the added height or sight to your advantage...

Daria climbs the mountain, and the Garula rocks backwards from the little bard, crying out in pain. There's some calls of response from its herd, back over the hill, but from the sound of things they're a little bit busy. Hopefully the Brushers can keep them distracted!

Escalation die is now at 2!

Initiative Order
>Leib'fried
Alfie Butterny
The Garula
Daria Damsel
"Jelly" Donuts

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny - 14/27

"I'm okay!" mumbles Alfie (who was most emphatically a small child and not literally a halfling) from his cosy little impression in the ground, now that the fight has moved a little away.

Battle Cry Healing: 1d8+2 7

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"That's it Daria, keep it distracted!", he rushes forward and quickly crouches aiming his feet upward towards the Garula, he launches himself using his palm and giving himself some rotation.

Rising Spiral Kick!: 1d20+4+2 19
Damage: 1d10+4 13

Ac: +3 bonus Current Ac 19

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Lieb'freid.

Lieb'fied tries another smash to the face, trying to help with Daria to keep the thing distracted and not paying attention to what Leib'fried thinks is an adult halfling (this type of thing is too dangerous for a child!).

Attack Roll 1: 1d20+9 28
Attack Roll 2: 1d20+9 17

(17 and 8, so I use 28.)

Damage Roll: 1d6+4 7
Miss damage 2.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The flurry of blows forces the beast back from Alfie, and it bellows in pain! It lowers its shaggy head and takes a swipe with its tusks at the most notorious offender, this time being Do! However, its eyesight as mentioned isn't great. The wind as it swings its head sends the leaves ruffling in the nearby bushes, but that's about all.

Garula Ram: 1d20+8 10

Initiative Order
Leib'fried
Alfie Butterny

The Garula

>Daria Damsel
"Jelly" Donuts

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 22, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria lies flat on the hairy beast, crawling up towards its neck.
"Right, just gotta find the right spot... Here!"
Daria tries to thrust her long dagger into the thing's spinal column. Best way to avoid putting great big gashes in the good part!

Just poke it, hoping its easier to damage from up here.
Melee Basic: 1d20+5+2 13 1d8+4+1d4 14

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 5/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

It is, but it's not six points weaker.

Daria's rapier drives downward, searching for a weak point in the garula's hide. It doesn't quite find one, but the pokes unnerve the great beast, which had lost track of her and thought it had the full accounting of its enemies! It turns its massive head to one side, searching for this new threat--away from Leib'fried and Alfie...

Daria has created a brief weakness in the garula's defenses! It takes a reduction to physical AC defense!

Escalation Die is now at 3!

Initiative Order
>Leib'fried
Alfie Butterny
The Garula
Daria Damsel
"Jelly" Donuts

• Locked thread