Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pryor on Fire posted:

Spay and neuter your animals please, I don't care if you live on a farm and your aunt makes money breeding dogs and you might want to do that someday, just loving spay and neuter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Spay and neuter your animals please, I don't care if you live on a farm and your aunt makes money breeding dogs and you might want to do that someday, just loving spay and neuter.

As a vet, my job is far from the worst, most days, but I do have to deal with the heartbreaking and often disgusting consequences of dumbasses not getting their pets spayed or neutered. Aside from overpopulation concerns, intact animals also get a variety of life-threatening, expensive medical conditions related to still having gonads. These pictures are all pretty nasty, but at least I was able to fix them all. It's worse when we can't fix it, for whatever reason. Spoilered for grossness--I don't mind icky things, thankfully, but I know many people would consider these :nms:

Cat with a necrotic uterus prolapse (note: the uterus is not supposed to be on the outside)

Normal testicle on the left, torsed (twisted) testicle on the right. It's turning black and necrotic.

Pyometra, a uterine infection where the uterus, instead of being about the diameter of a Sharpie, becomes a giant pus-filled anaconda that needs to be immediately, carefully removed lest it rupture and spread all that badness into the abdomen.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I spent my late teenage high school years working on small commercial fishing boats out of South Florida over weekends and long holidays and summers.

Your co-workers are all alcoholics and drug addicts. Most of the them have long criminal histories and are violent. Most of them will find a chance to get roaring drunk while working. Upside, you learn where to get a case of poo poo beer for $2.50.

It's usually very hot and humid and you are usually wet. Your skin turns a dark red from the sun and the wind burn and the sea. The boat is covered in fish poo poo and stink. You are covered in fish poo poo and stink. There are always mechanical problems so you are usually also covered in oil and grease as well. I've seen lots of injuries, missing digits are common, and once even an electrocution.

You sleep on a stiff rubber mat that doubles as a flotation device for the ~4 hours or so you get to sleep. Fishing starts at 4am and ends usually after 10pm, although there is a lull in the middle of the day and while you move to new grounds but even then there is maintenance work to do. You just go to bed covered in fish, often while wet through with salt water.

After you unload the boat you have to clean it. All of it, top to bottom, front to back inside and out. Yes, even the heads.

The pay is minimum wage but since you work full 24-hr days for days and days at a time you get a relatively large paycheck. Which you then watch the older guys take to go buy beer/liquor/scratch off tickets and get blotto until the next time to take the boat out. After a while you realize that they are mostly dead already and are just waiting for life to finally kill them.

Then, when I turned 18 and finished HS, I enlisted in the Marines, that was a massive improvement in quality of life. Got out and went to college, as an engineering junior I dropped out to start a tech-startup with some friends. That failed miserably, got depressed, got really fat and eventually went to work in retail for $9/hr when I ran out of money/friends/places to sleep. Eventually got held up at shotgun point and quit so took a job doing AOL tech support for 11.50/hr in an inbound call center. Lasted 3 months and finally got out of my funk enough to go back to school because gently caress working in a call center and gently caress ever going back to retail.

I have a pretty great job now and am very thankful.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I was in the same building as a necrotic uterine prolapse once, never smelled anything that foul in my life and we were two rooms over. Apparently the cat had dragged it around for a week or two under a trailer before someone brought her in. I've smelled a lot of dead and rotting things but man something about that condition is just the worst.

Cat recovered fine and got adopted out though!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

When I was a kid I read an article in the Dallas Morning News saying that rodeo clown was the worst job in America because of the extremely low pay, long hours, low social status, and high physical exertion and risk of injury with no chance of things like insurance or benefits. I assume they were excluding other jobs like forced prostitution through sex trafficking and that ilk.

I believed that article at the time, but this thread has taught me a thing or two. :smithicide:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That article sounds like horseshit clickbait (newstand bait?) for a key redneck demo. Being the bull is way worse.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Some years ago, I was taking a summer class in New York. It was August, 98F outside, 100% humidity, and I was stuck in traffic. They were resealing the road and had closed down to a one lane road. As I was waiting I saw the truck that was part of the work crew. It had this giant cauldron of the sealant on the back. There were propane tanks with an open fire heating it from underneath, while on top a guy with these giant asbestos gauntlets was slowing stirring it to keep it uniform temperature and not hard. I've never seen a more miserable look on a human face than I did peering up at him through the waves of heat and noxious fumes coming off that cauldron.

I don't know that's the worst job, but to this day it's the reason I bust rear end to make sure I never wind up in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Hughlander posted:

I don't know that's the worst job, but to this day it's the reason I bust rear end to make sure I never wind up in that situation.

I had a similar experience. In my senior year of High School, I was part of a group that was doing some stuff outside of the school but within walking distance. One day, I left alone (I forget why, normally we left together). That day, when I cut across a lot, there was a young man doing some sort of masonry or curb work or something. He had full wheelbarrow, that earned-weariness slump and he was covered in white dust. He must have seen my backpack, and knew I was a student. I forget the exact quote, but through his mask, he said something to the effect of, "Stay in school, man, so you don't have to do this poo poo."

All I could muster was a meek "Yes, sir."

• Locked thread