Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
not only is it stupid to apply to humans but it turns out it doesn't even apply to dogs or wolves either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: oops

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ninotoreS posted:

'alpha' and 'beta' social order roles exist inarguably in another hominid species that is genetically 98.8% identical to homo sapiens, and in another apex-predator species that's extraordinary for its domesticated social compatibility with humans. these are just facts

"hi I watched a lot of animal planet and let me tell you all about social hierarchies"

alpha/beta doesn't apply to wolves and it is super simplified as applied to apes.

quote:

This terminology was first used in 1947 by Rudolf Schenkel of the University of Basel, who based his findings on researching the behavior of captive gray wolves. He formally disavowed this terminology in 1999, explaining that it was heavily based on the behavior of captive packs consisting of unrelated individuals, an error reflecting the once prevailing view that wild pack formation occurred in winter among independent gray wolves. Later research on wild gray wolves revealed that the pack is usually a family consisting of a breeding pair and its offspring of the previous 1–3 years.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just say whatever I want to whoever I want whenever I want (except police, and cussing gets modulated around family)

it's worked out so far. being an adult is p cool.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

Just a reminder. People who apply terms like alpha or beta male to humans are stupid as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like if you call yourself an alpha you are instantly not alpha.

Like being a cool kid.

• Locked thread