Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Larry Parrish posted:

I guess I 'get' that at the time, x86 hardware was too hot and too power-draining to be used in smartphones, but come on. Surely they is something better than The ARM Aids requiring the poo poo android does to make sure programs run vaguely the same on every phone.

It has predominantly been about money, Intel licensing tries to follow their extreme desktop & server markup model. Also, see mass migration of vendors from Windows Phone to Android.

Also, see the licensing mistakes of Google TV compared with Android TV. Google TV enforced usage of an expensive lovely processor from only one vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I would actually try to use DART for NYSE but what a loving mess to have DART shunt through JavaScript to access a polyfill to implement an abandoned version of Web Animations API. Chrome has a native version but you cannot control per frame without super jank which is kinda retarded considering the purpose of DART and the linked notes about 120fps.

3+ months R&D to get text to scroll in a web browser on an admittedly rather big screen, the sales guys haven't managed to sell to anyone else despite all the publicity since the Alibaba IPO. It's my last project that has gone into production too, everything else abandoned, yay.

• Locked thread