Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

The ufotable production and Kara no Kyoukai credentials of the director make me want to give God Eater a fair chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Is Vampire Hunter D anything other than a poor man's Hellsing?

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Can't say Hellsing Ultimate fared well on a recent rewatch. It's kinda garbage.

Bloodlust, however, is always entertaining; good world building, beautifully animated. Hilarious voice acting.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

All the reaction gifs from before, but more serious.

I loved the original series at 15, and even enjoyed the OVAs when they were coming out, but man, the last few really were just a bunch of still frames and the plot totally unravels into nonsense.

Now, Vampire Hunter D? That's a serious anime film with gravitas and vampire moon rockets.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

The ultraviolence, depravity and art style probably used to be enough to carry it for me. Now I watch it and I see plot and pacing issues, as well as a progressive decline in animation quality. Not like I'm saying it's objectively bad or anything, as I said, I enjoyed it as it was coming out.

Knorth posted:

Insert obligatory defense of the original series' soundtrack

Truth, and the parts of the OVA that still stand out for me are the rare occasions tracks from the original series turn up.

Edit: like this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rovwoKlIY

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's also possible Adlet is unknowingly the mole. It seemed like it was the demon reaching out to him.

Obviously the seventh one is

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Classroom Crisis got a bit weird.

I will probably stop watching it. Probably. After another few episodes.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, apparently Ushio and Tora is slated for 39 episodes to cover the whole of the manga (33 volumes), someone must have some faith in the property.

Bankrolled by a tech billionaire otaku whose only wish in life is to see his favourite manga get a good treatment.

(at least that is how I plan to waste my billions)

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

dogsicle posted:

there are too many good things (jojo, yuasa, shirobako, gin no saji) to fund just one

Yeah, you'd really have to spend all the billions.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

"I would like to turn manga into anime."

"Sir, which one?"

"All of them."

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Hungryjack posted:

You're like the Rumplestiltskin of Japanese pop culture.

I've been called worse, and on these very forums!

On topic: agree with the general sentiment that it's looking like a bit of an unremarkable season. There's stuff I'm watching, but nothing particularly great - I am limiting myself to things available on Cruncyroll so far though.

Might be time to kick off another LoGH rewatch to fill the gap, or some other old show(s).

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Next episode of Classroom Crisis looks like a combo beach/onsen episode.

I quite enjoyed episode 4, not sure how I feel about this show overall.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

In Training posted:

Lotta manlets in here.

Puny humans.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Endorph posted:

i think he works on a farm in ohio now. god bless.

Endorph I don't want to be the one to break this to you but...

No, you're right, he went to work on a farm in Ohio.

:ohdear:

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

6'1. If tall girls are anyone's thing, I'd be glad to live in your house free of charge.

Everything worth watching this season has a thread now right?

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Woah, uh, just popped over to see what the fuss was, and

:yikes:

Stay gooned.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

GATE somehow manages to be boring with a Stargate.

I don't really understand how this was achieved, but it's impressive in its own way.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

there's no way gate is worse than the people who post about it

I find the discussion around it more entertaining than the show.

Can't we all just get along?

Edit: ep 5 was pretty good actually.

CuLT fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 7, 2015

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

HMS Boromir posted:

in that case let me tell you about how i think haruhi is really bad

I liked Haruhi, and am interested in how someone found it overall unenjoyable.

I would read the poo poo out of a Your Favorite Anime Sucks thread.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

HMS Boromir posted:

nothing happened in it. every conceivably interesting plot thread was fake and barely explored. most of it was a slice of life with unlikable characters. they had a single 30 minute episode's worth of plot and a bunch of hot nothing to fill the rest of it with

I thought over the course of the two seasons and movie that enough was hinted at to make it interesting. I enjoyed the character interactions, particularly for Kyon's ongoing denial and meta/narrator monologue. I also loved the animation and visual detail in much of the show, beyond any characterisation or plot.

quote:

one of characters exists to be sexually assaulted as a joke.

This did feel more noticeable on a recent rewatch. Some stuff post-endless-eight in S2 was disturbing, seemed to treat it that way, but then just... failed to go anywhere with it.

It may be that the show is better in retrospect, as a weird cultural phenomenon and KyoAni's emergence as an impressive studio, than as a piece of fiction.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

K-On is better than Haruhi.

Not enough aliens, espers or time travellers, sorry.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Endorph posted:

criticism can be interesting and good but a lot of the internet is super negative about everything and it gets really tiring

Srice posted:

Yeah in reality it would probably be lame as hell, but heck I can dream...

Trolling and idiocy is boring, which is what a lot of the Internet comprises of. It would be a shame if ADTRW couldn't rise above that, but also would not be without precedent.

I'd rather not lump critique in with all that under the brush of "negativity" - I am perfectly capable of liking something and not being offended that someone else doesn't, or that what I like about a show is what they hate, or that I completely overlook what they feel are fundamental flaws. I enjoy the alternative perspectives.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

All I know is that TVIV became unbearable when posters started to trip over themselves to be negative about just about every show.

Sharkopath posted:

Critiquing good things to talk about why they are good is 300% more useful as an exercise in learning, a mock thread would blow big time, like all threads started about talking about why something sucks do.

Srice posted:

I absolutely agree with all of that, but I do think that it would only take a few posters making it into some weird anime tribalism thing to completely derail such a thread.

Endorph posted:

the doctor who hate thread sucks worse than doctor who

I've never read that thread, but I can imagine how that would go, and it probably means you're all correct in that it would eventually be a clusterfuck.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I love that my clip of this is like number three in Google for "uguu"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTGzW94JlGA

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Aw. Classroom Crisis just stepped it the gently caress up. This was an excellent episode, and has single handedly made everything before it worth.

Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

Somehow, Classroom Crisis managed to keep up its suspense once it decided to start building it (albeit after an unncessary delay of 6 or 7 episodes) and present a very satisfying ending.

Did it make me think? No.
Was there anything particularly original about it? Not really.
Was it particularly well-scripted or well-acted? Nope.

But it competently told a story, and isn't that enough sometimes?

Yeah, CC ended up being the action/drama show I was most satisfied with this season. It was just well executed, making it stand out against at least Rokka and Charlotte, two other shows for which expectations were not particularly high.

Looking forward to Classroom Crisis 2: Space Startup

• Locked thread