Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I recently discovered that in games like Dungeons & Dragons, that you actually make your own character beyond rolling some stuff and it's not largely pre-set for the mission. I've never played D&D or actually had any meaningful exposure to it, so I didn't know this. I still don't know if you have to play a human only or if you can be an elf and stuff, I assume you can because it seems like something nerds would want, plus it was an option in Dragon Age Origins, which is basically D&D (I assume the "dog" is played by the super weird person in the group). Also, apparently people re-use these characters? And become attached to them? Are YOU attached to your tabletop game characters? What are they like?

Also, I overheard two girls in public discussing their need for a new Launchpad for their erotic Ducktales online roleplay. (Actually, I guess they didn't say "online"?!?!???) So apparently people also just roleplay, like, hanging out? Or duck sex? Sometimes these are "original characters", but sometimes they're not. It's not a complete crossover. Original characters are also sometimes not for roleplay. (That's what I understand better, I don't actually get how you roleplay an original character, because don't you have a plot you want and don't they also? Is this not in conflict? Do they handle it like Robotech?) You can tell me about this stuff too. Here's some pictures of orcs.

When I was growing up, we called them Shreks. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

:firstpost:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Hell yeahs Pick we should play dungeon world sometime

Here is my I.F.C. Ranger from Chex Quest: Gaiden, Cocoa Buff:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
every day i larp as a dude who doesnt have to drink himself to sleep

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i roleplay on the toilet, i am a mighty butt warrior and the blood is just part of the lifestyle

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
large man with a large sword and large numbers

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I roleplay anime characters because my life is a living hell and I wish for the sweet release of death on a daily basis.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
A stuttering, ginger vampire that works for the IRS.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
One time I was an angel who was melted down to power a robot that used magic swords.

Obviously, dragons were involved.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Happily married to my half dwarf wife who lost both her arms to a Shoggoth. She also has leprosy but our love overcomes that op

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Cathulhu posted:

A stuttering, ginger vampire that works for the IRS.

A crazed conspiracy theorist libertarian elf ranger who goes from place to place causing anti-tax riots to cover up his tracks because of the pursuing tax collectors who are trying to get him for seventy years of tax evasion.

The Acorn Tax is an unjust institution that the Oak Elf minority uses to oppress the Pine Elf majority.

They're putting dragon bile in the water :tinfoil:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

A dwarf with gigantism who is offended when people think he is a human. He secretly wishes he was an elf.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A popular but critically-despised Canadian rockstar who fights orcs in his spare time

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i want to be........

a slutty elf

roll for anal constitution

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I am a gnome with a cock bigger than my body

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i was a gay human rogue trying to con a elf mage out of his treasure while my gay ex lover was also trying to do the same thing and also the 4th guy in the party was trying to convince us to not be gay anymore and would pray for us every session

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The former world champion arm wrestler who has come out of retirement to challenge the demon king to an arm wrestling match that will determine the fate of the kingdom.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

A sentient crab with a revolver whose claws can cut through steel. He is addicted to cocaine and owes his dealer a debt he cannot reasonably repay.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
a peasant who is largely ignorant of the world outside his village and who avoids anything resembling danger or adventure

go on a quest? no. I need to get this barley planted so my family doesn't starve this winter.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
im a 5-th level Ali Baba

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Otto von Bismarck, except is a tsundere anime lady.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was doing good in progress quest my equipment had big numbers in it and I was able to level while I was afk.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

A gnomish occupational health and safety inspector who evicts monsters from abandoned mineshafts for their own safety.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
a half-good syrup golem that speaks mandarin

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

joe biden a level 7 multiclass vice president/rogue

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
a sickly dwarf tailor with a tragic past and a dark secret

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I recently discovered that D&D is the most generic, soulless fiction ever invented. Tolkein was inspired by myth; D&D was inspired by comic books (and Tolkein)

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

I recently discovered that D&D is the most generic, soulless fiction ever invented. Tolkein was inspired by myth; D&D was inspired by comic books (and Tolkein)

right, but then you have Game of Thrones

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Strategic Tea posted:

take it one step further and look at video game fiction inspired by D&D

peer into the void

true old weird d&d is actually inspired by "the appendix n" authors who have more in common with pulp sci-fi than tolkein

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I roleplay as a Somethingawful forums poster named "Applewhite."

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
My buddy played some superhero rpg and his dude was a speedster but only if not being directly observed. So he looks like a sloth and then you turn your head and boom he's zipping around kicking rear end.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i dont roleplay online but in person ive been acting like a depressed neurotic idiot for over two decades preparing for playing this character in a local play

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zombie Boat posted:

My buddy played some superhero rpg and his dude was a speedster but only if not being directly observed. So he looks like a sloth and then you turn your head and boom he's zipping around kicking rear end.

that character sounds cool actually.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm just starting a game with my brother and some other dudes so I'm about to have 3+ characters!

I am going to torture and then murder them.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
developing a roleplaying system based on something awful. you can be a gbs poster a pyf poster an fyad poster a good mod or a bad mod.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I roleplay a stupid jerkoff on GBS

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
mission idea for something awful the game: catchphrases get banned and gbs posters and fyad posters have to go to qcs. the gbs posters try to kill the old gbs posters and the fyad posters have to protect them. the mods have to battle the gbs posters but they also have to stop a guy who keeps doxxing spanish manlove. its a very exciting faction based roleplaying adventure

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

mission idea for something awful the game: catchphrases get banned and gbs posters and fyad posters have to go to qcs. the gbs posters try to kill the old gbs posters and the fyad posters have to protect them. the mods have to battle the gbs posters but they also have to stop a guy who keeps doxxing spanish manlove. its a very exciting faction based roleplaying adventure

please shut up

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Im fuckin this little blonde 19yr old whose got way to much of daddys money and loves roleplaying. She just buys outfits and poo poo and tell me to come over. Its mostly her roleplaying but every now and than I have to play along

Its p sweet op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
a level 14 gay

• Locked thread