Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PilslopWick
May 8, 2015
I'm looking at traveling from the bottom of the U.S. down into the yucatan, not interested in flying or any overpriced tourist caravan. I've travelled in third world countries before, can handle things being a little bit curry but not really interested in dying (Then again who knows I'll try anything once!). Anyone accomplished anything along this line with some pointers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PilslopWick posted:

I'm looking at traveling from the bottom of the U.S. down into the yucatan, not interested in flying or any overpriced tourist caravan. I've travelled in third world countries before, can handle things being a little bit curry but not really interested in dying (Then again who knows I'll try anything once!). Anyone accomplished anything along this line with some pointers?

I've done this route! Stay out of Tamaulipas, but be sure to visit Coahuila (Cuatrocienegas, Saltillo), Nuevo Leon and San Luis Potosi (Matehuala, Real de Catorce). Parts of Veracruz like Xalapa and Xilitla are cool. I haven't been east/southeast of Veracruz.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I flew in to Mexico City (some locals just call it DF) and then bussed down to Oaxaca, San Cristobal, Palenque. I haven't been north of DF though except to see the Pyramid just north of the city. That was back in 2010 though.

I'm looking at making another trip down to Oaxaca and San Cristobal, hopefully this year. Bus travel is safe and pleasant for the most part with good highways running all the way down to Guatemala. Never been to any of the coastal cities as there's plenty of time, as you insinuate, when I'm much older to sit on the beach and get melanoma.

I got around with no problem speaking just the five or ten phrases of Spanish I'd picked up previously.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Mexico as a whole isn't really Third World any more, even if parts of it are underdeveloped. Highways are modern, and bus travel is very comfortable. The longest trip in the country is Tijuana to Cancun, which would take about 72 hours by bus, and cost about $300 US or 4500 pesos. Much of the north of the country is somewhat dangerous, with Sinaloa, Tamaulipas, and Michoacan states probably the worst. Daytime bus travel shouldn't pose any grave danger though. Mexico City is an awesome place - I lived there most of this year, and miss it dearly. Oaxaca and Chiapas states are very rich for travelers, as is the entire Yucatan Peninsula.

• Locked thread