Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Hey everyone! Six all new half-hour episodes of "Golan the Insatiable" begin tonight, May 31st, at 9:30 PM on Fox following Family Guy. It's a semi-new animated series, that ISN'T made by Seth MacFarlane, and FOX is giving barely any promotion for.

You may remember this series from the Saturday night Animation Domination High-Def block, where it aired six 11 minute shorts. For the record, all of those episodes have been stricken from continuity. Think of them as six pilots now. Season 2 (new 1) is a reboot of the show, with a few new voice actors and some characters, namely the father Richard Beekler, gone completely. The animation style has also changed, featuring less puppety style Flash animation and now featuring fuller, more expressive animation. Augenblick Studios provided some animation services on the project. You can see a handful of clips at Fox's Animation Domination YouTube page.

Oh, I guess the concept came from Something Awful as well.

Streaming episodes:
Pilot - http://www.hulu.com/watch/798640#i0,p6,d0
Winter is Staying - http://www.hulu.com/watch/801466
Shame on Pee - http://www.hulu.com/watch/804478
Shell Raiser - http://www.hulu.com/watch/811801
On Golan Pond - http://www.hulu.com/watch/816791#i0,p7,d0
Golan the Impregnable - http://www.hulu.com/watch/819721

MAIN CHARACTERS:

Golan (voiced by Rob Riggle) - Terrible dark lord of Gkruool who winds up in Oak Grove, MN thanks to a spell cast via a tome found by...

Dylan Beekler (voiced by Aubrey Plaza) - A 9-year old goth outcast whose miserable life takes a turn for the better once she meets her new overlord, Golan.

Alexis Beekler (voiced by Rachel Butera) - Dylan's older sister and local high school popular girl. Keith is her boyfriend, who is also popular.

Carole Beekler (voiced by Maria Bamford) - Single lovelorn mother of Dylan and Alexis who just wants to be proud of Dylan, but that usually doesn't happen. Frequently has to put up with Golan, but admits to being okay with sleeping with him.

Full disclosure: I was a storyboard artist on two episodes of this series. We hope you all enjoy our work!

Painting by series supervising director Doug Olsen.

livingfruitvirus fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Haven't gotten to see this yet, but I did really enjoy the original Front Page articles and thought the 11 minute shorts were pretty good too.

Do you know if this is going up on Hulu? I would be interested in checking it out.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

As someone who was in love with the ADHD Golan series, all the changes (especially Golan's voice; Worm Miller was perfect for him) are going to take some getting used to.

But I'm just happy the Godlord Terrible of Gkruool is back on television. :black101:

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Bob Quixote posted:

Haven't gotten to see this yet, but I did really enjoy the original Front Page articles and thought the 11 minute shorts were pretty good too.

Do you know if this is going up on Hulu? I would be interested in checking it out.

Yes, it'll be on Hulu.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
This was the most conventional show in the ADHD so it isn't surprising that it made the jump. It is a little unusual that the 9:30 version of the show seems to be darker than the 11:30 version.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Bob Quixote posted:

Following up to say the first episode is on Hulu now.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/798640#i0,p6,d0

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I had no previous experience with earlier versions of this show, just happened to watch it tonight. It was funny as poo poo. Dylan is incredibly lovable and enjoyable right off the bat. We loled a lot. Will definitely continue watching.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This show made me bust out laughing like 5 times within the "pilot." Definitely sticking with it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm looking forward to the Augenblick-animated episodes; they do the best cleanup and inbetweening.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think I'm on board for this as well. The letters from religious organizations alone will be amusing.

EDIT: Watched the original Season 1 episodes and holy gently caress am I glad the father's MIA/dead/not around.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 1, 2015

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think I'm on board for this as well. The letters from religious organizations alone will be amusing.

EDIT: Watched the original Season 1 episodes and holy gently caress am I glad the father's MIA/dead/not around.

Yeah the dad character didn't add a lot to the dynamic of the family, I can only really recall him having a few lines.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bob Quixote posted:

Yeah the dad character didn't add a lot to the dynamic of the family, I can only really recall him having a few lines.

He's basically a Ned Flanders knockoff, and you get enough of that with everyone being ~Minnesota Nice~ even when they're being dicks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, Golan kind of makes the dad redundant. He basically fills the "dad" role for Dylan, even in the original episodes, and the other daughter is barely even a character.

(That's actually my only beef with the show so far- the other daughter is pretty much nothing but an exaggerated stereotype, and a kind of misogynistic one at that.)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Honestly, Golan kind of makes the dad redundant. He basically fills the "dad" role for Dylan, even in the original episodes, and the other daughter is barely even a character.

(That's actually my only beef with the show so far- the other daughter is pretty much nothing but an exaggerated stereotype, and a kind of misogynistic one at that.)

:rolleyes:

Here it comes...

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

LostRook posted:

Here it comes...

Here here it comes comes

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Tonight's ep:

quote:

GOLAN AND DYLAN CHILL OUT ON AN ALL-NEW “GOLAN THE INSATIABLE” SUNDAY, JUNE 7, ON FOX

Golan and Dylan hatch an evil scheme to kill spring before it even begins, using the magic of dance, and Alexis realizes she is the only one who can stop them, in the all-new “Winter Is Staying” episode of GOLAN THE INSATIABLE airing Sunday, June 7 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GOL-202) (TV-14; L, V) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1 PA: Viewer discretion is advised.

Voice Cast: Rob Riggle as Golan; Aubrey Plaza as Dylan Beekler; Maria Bamford as Carole Beekler; Rachel Butera as Alexis Beekler; Nick Rutherford as Keith Knudson Jr; John DiMaggio as The Mayor; Ken Marino as Keith Knudson Sr.; Tara Strong as Mackenzie B

Behind the scenes video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9v_UOB4Vkc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LostRook posted:

Here it comes...

I wasn't trying to start a shitstorm, just pointing out that it very mildly puts me off the show since "shrieking, vapid teenage girl" is a stereotype that has been beaten past death over the years. Tonight seems to be an Alexis episode to some extent, so I'm hopeful that my complaint will go away.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Winter forever, bitches!!

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Have to say, this episode is a huge jump in quality for the better, compared to the 2nd pilot, where it felt like they had shove in as much premise as possible. I'm on board.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Fellbat posted:

Have to say, this episode is a huge jump in quality for the better, compared to the 2nd pilot, where it felt like they had shove in as much premise as possible. I'm on board.

I thought 1 and 2 were about even. They're showing 204 next week, and I REALLY like that one. The animators got the hang of the characters by then and the writing's really good where the A, B and C plots all tie together at the end. Anyway, just coming here to update the Hulu links: http://www.hulu.com/watch/801466

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
God loving drat that baby joke :stare: I'm surprised yall got away with that on network TV.

And, uh, yeah, I guess this is just Alexis' characterization. Or lack thereof. gently caress it, show owns otherwise, not that big of a deal.

e: man this show goes to some dark loving places for humor. No wonder Fox isn't advertising it for poo poo. Seriously, how is this edgier on a loving network channel than it was on the Always Sunny channel?

e2: holy poo poo did Golan just murder a loving child? :stonk:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 8, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: man this show goes to some dark loving places for humor. No wonder Fox isn't advertising it for poo poo.

Yeah, this feels like a straight-lined Adult Swim show at times, which is why it's almost guaranteed to be doomed to just take up time until they've got the second season of The Last Man on Earth ready.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 8, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay, nevermind, Golan didn't murder a child, he just beat the living poo poo out of her and put her in a neck brace, and then threatened to murder her.

That's... almost darker. :stonklol: This isn't getting a second season, is it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wait holy loving poo poo this is adapted from SA frontpage articles? Yeah no poo poo I really should have guessed that this would make Always Sunny look cheerful and lighthearted.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Wow, even for this day and age this show is pretty edgy for Fox. This looks like an Invader Zim situation.

I wasn't sure about the first episode, but that one last night was great. I especially liked The Mayor's self absorbed fantasy play. Hope the show keeps being this awesome.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, this show kicks rear end, but jesus loving chriiiiist I have no idea how they've gotten away with any of this poo poo. Like, I'm surprised Standards and Practices isn't rejecting half the jokes in this show, even considering Family Guy and whatnot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm enjoying the show and all, but nothing in it so far has really been edgier than what Family Guy gets away with.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno, people burning a baby to death by accident and then, in their grief, attempting to replace it with a plank of wood is darker than just about anything I've seen on FG.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I dunno, people burning a baby to death by accident and then, in their grief, attempting to replace it with a plank of wood is darker than just about anything I've seen on FG.

I dunno, Peter has murdered children quite frequently. I mean, there was one gag when he drove through a playground and had mangled children skewered on a playground equipment attached to his wrecked car.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just youtubed that clip, and while that's a pretty dark joke too, the approach is different. The FG cutaway doesn't then show you the parents grieving over the loss of their children and have Peter monkey-wrench that too. It seemed like the Golan joke was trying to actively highlight how dark it was being, whereas FG played it off more casually.

(I will say, the Golan joke made me laugh a lot harder, I was just going :stonk: at the same time.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This show is actually really, really good and it's a shame it will get cancelled. :(

It's like a way darker and funnier "Lucy, Daughter of the Devil".

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
New episode tonight. This or ep 6 might be my favorite. Not sure.

quote:

GOLAN GETS IN WITH THE COOL KIDS ON AN ALL-NEW “GOLAN THE INSATIABLE” SUNDAY, JUNE 14, ON FOX

When Dylan is caught wetting the bed, Golan mocks her relentlessly to get in with cool kids. Meanwhile, Alexis helps her boyfriend, Keith, throw the sickest seventeenth birthday party the local news has ever seen in the all-new “Shame On Pee” episode of GOLAN THE INSATIABLE airing Sunday, June 14 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GOL-204) (TV-14; D, L, S, V) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1 PA: Viewer discretion is advised.

Voice Cast: Rob Riggle as Golan; Aubrey Plaza as Dylan Beekler; Maria Bamford as Carole Beekler; Rachel Butera as Alexis Beekler; Nick Rutherford as Keith Knudson Jr; John DiMaggio as The Mayor; Ken Marino as Keith Knudson Sr.; Tara Strong as Mackenzie B

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
I think what I really enjoy from this show so far it is the little quick moments where more exaggeration is put into the animation, those kinda gags use to happen on stuff like the Simpsons (before it got all cookie cutter).

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Happy to see another great episode. There's a lot of great rapid fire comedy in this series so far, it's starting to feel as good as Rick and Morty. Too bad there's so little interest in the show right now because people are missing out.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.

TheFattestPat posted:

Happy to see another great episode. There's a lot of great rapid fire comedy in this series so far, it's starting to feel as good as Rick and Morty. Too bad there's so little interest in the show right now because people are missing out.

Yeah, the Rick and Morty comparison seems really apt, in all good ways. Last night's episode may be my favorite one so far. I really love how Golan is animated in particular.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Well, even if you are the monster, I gotta see those fancy feet!

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Just a heads up, Fox's Sunday night lineup is being preempted this week. A new episode will air the following week, and will be on break again July 4th weekend.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Show's back tonight with a new episode. Then it's off again next week. Then it's back the following week.

quote:

GOLAN AND DYLAN ADOPT ON AN ALL-NEW “GOLAN THE INSATIABLE” SUNDAY, JUNE 28, ON FOX

Dylan and Golan adopt a diseased covered turtle in hopes of poisoning the whole town in the Oak Grove Chili Eat Out. Meanwhile, Carole is whooshed into the insurmountable highs and lows of modeling despite Alexis' cries of caution in the all-new “Shell Raiser” episode of GOLAN THE INSATIABLE airing Sunday, June 28 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GOL-205) (TV-14; D,L, V) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1 PA: Viewer discretion is advised.

Behind the scenes vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3W_7jJ6ag

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This show really isn't picking up much of a following, is it? :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This show really isn't picking up much of a following, is it? :sigh:

Doesn't seem that way, but I do hope that changes. I've really enjoyed all the episodes so far.

Fox is not doing it any favors by loving around with the schedule. I'm not really suprised they are, though. :argh:

• Locked thread