Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Well, since this is apparently the thread for stupid poo poo, I decided on a lark to take a look at the number of possible 1st-level human fighters in 2nd edition Dungeons and Dragons (chosen because it was somewhat closer than my 4e book). Overall, it works out to 125 trillion possible ones using non-weapon proficiencies, but only in-class ones, and ignoring things that have zero game-mechanical effect. Reducing this to fighters that get bonus XP from having high STR only drops us to 120 trillion. Much of this comes from extraordinary STR and from weapon proficiencies. Reducing extraordinary STR to the five meaningful categories drops us down by half to 60 trillion, 58 counting only ones that get bonus XP. Cutting out NWPs, we have 8.5 billion characters, 7.8 billion of which get bonus XP. Cutting out weapon proficiencies drops us down to 15,200/14,080.

So how about leveling up? Well, for NWPs, this will vary based on the initial choices. I will do the simple case and deal with the 8.5 billion characters that picked Weaponsmithing as their NWP choice, and cut out variation in gold and items and so on. Leveling up under these conditions generates 31.4 billion possibilities, or 2.7 sextillion possible characters. At this point, I will drop NWPs entirely.

So under that constraint, there are 36 quadrillion possible level 2 fighters, 114 sextillion possible level 3 fighters, 262 octillion possible level 4 fighters...

So let's figure out where the combinatorial increase dies. It turns out to be level 15 (with two remaining that are taken at level 16), while the fighter's last hit die is gained at level 9. A little estimation tells us this will be at a minimum on the order of 10^80 total possible characters, beyond the common names for large numbers and on a similar order to the number of atoms in the universe.

But if we cut out weapon proficiencies, we end up with a simple order of magnitude increase. There are only 15 million possible level 4 fighters in that case, and 15 trillion total possible fighters.

Many of these are bizarre, or unworkable, of course, and this is neglecting other combinatorial factors that would increase matters still further.

Yeah, totally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Queen Fiona posted:

You do so know how to make a girl feel wanted. :h:

Also, I thought I was already making RPGs based on the aesthetic of CHVRCHES. Either that, or I failed miserably.

also uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh porpentine

They have an aesthetic?

Dec 26, 2012

Meinberg posted:

Trash is a pretty cool aesthetic. There's something strangely magical about the junkyard, the culmination of useful garbage, ignored and tossed away, waiting for the careful to plunder its depths.

Much like the human heart, in a way.

Dec 26, 2012

Nah.

Dec 26, 2012

Fungah! posted:

they post better there

I don't know about that. There's been some quality posting here that puts it to the test.

Dec 26, 2012

Queen Fiona posted:

What, you don't like my SHODAN references? :smug:

Solid choice of source material, iffy execution. Took too long to get to the point.

Ningyou posted:

"don't like" "SHODAN"

....I'm sorry but I don't know what these words mean in that order

I could easily understand being iffy on her, she only shows up for real just before the level quality in SS2 starts to tilt downward so it's hard for me not to associate her with that and she's not quite as memorable in SS1. Fantastic reveal though.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

PYF Hunger Games quote.

"I'm just so tired of all these hunger games!" - Katniss

Dec 26, 2012

Stormgale posted:

poo poo guys and girls I ran the numbers and we are running out of posts, so you better ensure your posts hold up to the highest standards or you might waste em.

Feel free to start rationing on your end.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think everyone is aware by now that Joss "Wil" Whedon-Wheaton is bad.

Would that this were true.

Dec 26, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

I have so many things I want to run (I don't write them down, but I definitely know what I want to run, either in really specific ideas, or just the desire to run a system), but I'm really bad at starting games, and getting PCs together :( 90% of my games end in the first or second session (or even before it begins). I have vague/less vague clues of what I'm doing wrong, but failing is so discouraging and it builds up in this below the surface resentment and fear and strikes like a snake and then I never get around to doing it or just quitting. :sigh:

90% of games end in a single digit number of sessions regardless of GM. There's a lot of logistics things that can go wrong that have little to nothing to do with your GM style. Don't take it too personally, just keep at it.

Dec 26, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i;ve seen people do it on sa before and i've read short essays from people who defend robert howard's racism because it's just fantasy, chill out. i'll admit though, don't have any of it in front of me and i didn't see it in here. mostly wanted to bring up the cross burning thing becauise not many people know about that letter

It's a worthwhile ability to be able to recognize good things in a work, and to simultaneously acknowledge bad things, without the former excusing the latter or vice versa.

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to be excusing that.

Dec 26, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

All that is clear communication and it's way more modern than old people walls of text.

I disagree on at least one of these points.

Dec 26, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

thanks for reminding me to buy Scholar of the First Sin (DS2). i was holding out for daily deals but i realized i haven't actually been checking for those at all

Looks like they dropped the upgrade price by ten bucks too, before it was a total rip. If it doesn't go daily/flash I'll grab it on the last day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

• Locked thread