Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is anyone here any good with geography and/or MS Paint?

Here is a map of my WIP fantasy setting. It pretty much sucks; I need at the very least to put give some cool names to the various geographical elements so that it might at least hope to spark the immagination. But I want this to be detailed and sensible, which means I need to develop the cultures that named those elements before extrapolating what those names might be.

That being said: does this make sense from a geographical standpoint? There's supposed to be a warm current that hits the southern part of the two northernmost continents; that's why there's so much chaparral so far north. Apart from that, there should be no more weird climatic features.

I would also like to make more detailed maps of the single continents, but I do not trust myself to precisely redraw them again. I did save a precedent version of this map, without the colors, and tried just enlarging them from there: but the end result is a blurry, pixelated mess. Is there a better way?

No, not really. You have too many mountain ranges that act as convenient barriers and extend to the coasts. A quick primer on mountain formation- all mountains are formed by the joining of plates. High mountains, usually geologically young, coincide directly with plate boundaries- the Rockies, the Himalayas, the Andes, the mountain ranges that run from Turkey to Afghanistan, while older mountains like the Appalachians or Scandinavian Mountains or Urals are the remnants of earlier collisions, and they are generally eroded (In fact, the Scottish Highlands, Atlas and Scandinavian Mountains, and the Appalachians are all part of the same mountain range). These plates in turn are generally aligned with the shape of the continent itself, so mountain ranges tend to run along the continent rather than crossways to it- the main exception being the Urals. Most importantly, the coasts erode away the quickest, so you never see coastal mountains.

That being said, don't worry too much about it.

You can use magic wand tools to clear away a lot of the artifacting, from pretty much any free graphics editor.

Here's one that's four times the size of the original, with blank continents, and here's one with some prospective mountain ranges. EDIT: Dark brown is for young ranges, light brown for old ones.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Rand Brittain posted:

In other news, there was some talk in the Exalted thread about the processes used to plan out a book and have the layout ready before the text is written.

I wonder, is anybody in the industry actually writing books that way? I'm not completely sure if it would be workable for a bunch of creative types designing a complicated new set of rules, or if there's anybody who knows how. (There certainly isn't the budget for project managers, any more than there is for PR guys.)

Or maybe some companies are already using this process?

That's weird, but approximately how I'd do it if I were on layout while someone else wrote and the two had to be done simultaneously. On most of the projects I've worked on, layout comes after writing is finished, but I guess E3 needs as much time recovered as possible.

You'd basically go "Okay, this chapter is how many words?" and generate some lorem ipsum of appropriate length. You've usually got a basic idea of what sized illustrations you want in a chapter after you outline, like "full page for this part of combat," "a couple half-pages running through social" or whatever.

The really tricky part in this context would be the potential for getting some sidebars in and loving up your pre-made layout.

Alternatively, they could be talking about a basic page template, with text styles set and your background cruft all set in, but that's almost so generic that it's non-applicable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Falstaff posted:

First game I played was red box D&D, which my mother ran for me and a couple of my friends when I was 10. She wasn't into RPGs, but this was during the latter days of the satanic panic, and she wasn't sure she wanted me playing the games, but being a fairly smart lady she didn't want to deny me it out-of-hand (given I was pretty enthusiastic). She figured the best way to know whether or not it was an appropriate game was by running it herself.

After two sessions, she decided it was pretty okay, if kind of nerdy. I bugged her about running it some more, but instead she suggested that maybe *I* could be the Gamemaster. The very idea blew my mind.

Your mom seems cool.

Effectronica posted:

No, not really. You have too many mountain ranges that act as convenient barriers and extend to the coasts. A quick primer on mountain formation- all mountains are formed by the joining of plates. High mountains, usually geologically young, coincide directly with plate boundaries- the Rockies, the Himalayas, the Andes, the mountain ranges that run from Turkey to Afghanistan, while older mountains like the Appalachians or Scandinavian Mountains or Urals are the remnants of earlier collisions, and they are generally eroded (In fact, the Scottish Highlands, Atlas and Scandinavian Mountains, and the Appalachians are all part of the same mountain range). These plates in turn are generally aligned with the shape of the continent itself, so mountain ranges tend to run along the continent rather than crossways to it- the main exception being the Urals. Most importantly, the coasts erode away the quickest, so you never see coastal mountains.

This is the kind of stuff that has made me put off drawing the map of my current campaign setting for so long. It isn't because I don't want to think about it--it's because I really, really want to think about it. I want to make that continent make something resembling geographic sense, but I know so little about it that I'm just slowly researching and trying to figure out where things would reasonably be in relation to one another.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Thank you for the suggestions; I have historically been tremendously bad at art (my middle school teacher straight up told me that I had no talent whasoever) but I'll try my hand at a couple of these after checking out some tutorial on youtube. Campaign Cartographrer in particular looks really cool.

I do intend to see this thing through, but I am in no hurry: I have no problem working on it little by little, when I have the time, and see it concluded months or even years from now. I'd rather this be done well rather than quickly.

It was very nice of you to make those enlarged maps for me, even if they are going to completely change the weather since mountains mess with air currents, but at least the central continent's tropical western half should be intact, which is good because more fantasy settings should have dinosaur infested tropical hellholes in them.

(and that territory sandwiched between mountains on the other side would be absolutely perfect for a desert)

I was also planning on having a civilization controlling the mountains of the nort-eastern continent that would basically cockblock trade between north and south and grow rich on the taxes, guides and sherpas necessary to travel their mountains; but the nice thing about being in the early stages of this taks is that I can move the whole civilization one continent westward and do the same thing.

Would those maps made by Effectronica work with Campaign Cartographer? I assume Photoshop and its ilk would have no problems.

Harrow posted:

This is the kind of stuff that has made me put off drawing the map of my current campaign setting for so long. It isn't because I don't want to think about it--it's because I really, really want to think about it. I want to make that continent make something resembling geographic sense, but I know so little about it that I'm just slowly researching and trying to figure out where things would reasonably be in relation to one another.

I made mine basing it on a tutorial I found on Tumblr that seemed to know what it was doing: I think I sort of skipped the part relating to tectonic plaques, which caused me to mess up the mountains. I also helped myself with a couple of websites about biomes. Here are the links, in case you want to check them out:

http://worldbuildingworkshop.tumblr.com/
http://www.thewildclassroom.com/biomes/
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/world_biomes.htm

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 1, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

Would those maps made by Effectronica work with Campaign Cartographer? I assume Photoshop and its ilk would have no problems.

You can import stuff into CC. After doing so, it's best to retrace it so that the lines can be better manipulated by the program. I'm not sure if it's part of the base program or a plug-in, but CC does have a "make all these angular lines squiggly so they look like a coast" button somewhere out there, which is nice.

quote:

I made mine basing it on a tutorial I found on Tumblr who seemed to know what it was doing: I think I sort of skipped the part relating to tectonic plaques, which caused me to mess up the mountains. I also helped myself with a couple of websites about biomes. Here are the links, in case you want to check them out:

http://worldbuildingworkshop.tumblr.com/
http://www.thewildclassroom.com/biomes/
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/world_biomes.htm

There's a maps thread or something somewhere around here that you might check out. I'm not sure what's good in it, though, I don't really follow it.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Here's the maps thread.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Harrow posted:

Your mom seems cool.

Yeah, she is pretty cool. Funny thing about that story, though - she has no recollection whatsoever of ever having run those first two sessions for us. Clearly what was a pretty formative experience during my youth just never really struck her as a particularly big deal. :shrug:

psychopomp posted:

gently caress you, Bargle.

In my headcanon, she was raised by higher-level clerics after being returned to her church. :colbert:

That was such a great box. It's a real shame that TSR gave up on the whole scheme, it was a fantastic gateway product into the world of RPGs.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The first roll-playing game I ever played/ran was a game of my own then pre 10 year old devising that was based on Final Fantasy on the NES and Shining Force on the Genesis. The rules were made up as I went along and the character sheet was essentially a long list of letters which I apparently associated with rpgs (GP, Ep, EXP, SP, AP, ST, DX, INT, etc...) My stepfather had told me about D&D, but had also said me and my brothers were too young to play it, so we made up our own design. Game play involved aping console RPGs by wandering around a town and speaking to townsfolk who had only one response to any query.

Later I found a copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and other Strangeness and incorporated my vast misunderstandings of rules and my collection of only 6 sided dice into running that poorly. Eventually I was bought one of the the AD&D Starter box sets for my birthday with a Monstrous Manual, collected a good deal of 2E stuff before picking up Star Wars D6, which I played and hacked to pieces for Star Trek and a World War 2 fighter aces Gi Joe style game. As a youth, I probably had the most fun with Star Wars.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
First RPG?

Well, as a certified Old Person, that would be Moldvay Basic back when it was still current, probably in the Summer of 1982, or maybe 1981; I have no idea. I was 7 or 8, and made a Wizard, and we ran through Keep on the Borderlands. You know, as you did in those days. I was hooked. I was so hooked he ran a solo adventure in those dungeons for my wizard the following day.

You see, before this, my friends and I played a game out in our backyard which we innocently called "The Indian Game" for reasons that are now unclear. It consisted of putting together weapons made of plastic toys I'm pretty sure were called "fiddlesticks" and throwing them at/hitting each other. This was pretty much in our wheelhouse.

The DM - the son of my parent's friends - sold me the Basic set because he was moving on to AD&D. A few years later, he sold me those same AD&D books and we gradually introduced the classes/races/etc. into our D&D game. Again, as you did in those days. (Not many people really played AD&D that I can recall. Most played some variation on Basic, and used the content from AD&D as a supplement of sorts.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
First RPG I bought, and attempted (badly) to run was the original Daedalus Press edition of Feng Shui. In retrospect this probably laid the groundwork for many of my elfgaming tastes and opinions going forward.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I first played AD&D 1st ed at like 12-14 with my brother in law running it for me and some of my friends. It blew my mind and until I was like 19 and weed&girls took over I bought and played every rpg I could find. Which, working at a used book store in HS, tended to be older stuff from the 70-80's.

I miss gaming like crazy but have a weird schedule and cant ever find a game. But, my mom did just retire, maybe I can make her GM for me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
while we're on the topic of maps, how many people here would play in and/or run a game in this world;

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

while we're on the topic of maps, how many people here would play in and/or run a game in this world;

Europe? Sure.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a former industrial town and is super poor for a city of its size.

It's also home to a criminally inept police department with virtually no investigative resources. Spokane police write tickets, take police reports, and shoot people. They actually do not investigate property crime as a policy. Oh, and they suffocated a mentally disabled man who had committed no crime and then covered up the evidence and threatened his family to keep it quiet.

Spokane is owned by five or six families who regularly blur the line between corporate overlords and organized crime. We have millions of dollars in taxpayer money going straight to these real estate developers, meanwhile our roads are literally falling apart. There's no money, no jobs, and no future.

Leaving that shithole was the best decision I ever made.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

where's bookworld

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

drrockso20 posted:

So unoriginal, Forgotten Realms did it first.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Ever since I saw that map, I've wanted to play a poncy knight from fancy magic town.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

drrockso20 posted:

Forgotten Real–

Zurui posted:

So unoriginal, Forgotten Realms did it first.

:argh:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Effectronica posted:

where's bookworld

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Sorry, all my fantasy gaming map needs are handled by

One day I'll get players who want to visit Kanga-Rat Murder Society. One. Day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Then once they get used to that, you can expand it out to the real map.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I prefer to make my own :colbert:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Fuego Fish posted:

*bangs fist on table* where's bookworld

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

unseenlibrarian posted:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has there ever been a game that captured the whole Kirbyesque Kamandi/Thundarr vibe well?

Dec 26, 2012

Effectronica posted:

*bangs fist on table* where's bookworld

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

you guys have good taste

Fuego Fish posted:

this looks really neat, mind going into detail about this setting?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has there ever been a game that captured the whole Kirbyesque Kamandi/Thundarr vibe well?

I'd say the most recent version of Gamma World could pull it off fairly well, and Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG has a lot of it's third party supplements focus on Post-Apocalypse/Space adventures that would be useful for this as well(also you forgot to mention He-Man as part of that set of influences, cause Eternia would make for a kick-rear end RPG setting)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

(also you forgot to mention He-Man as part of that set of influences, cause Eternia would make for a kick-rear end RPG setting)

I did forget that, yeah; I was just thinking Jack Kirby stuff because he did the character designs for Thundarr.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

drrockso20 posted:

this looks really neat, mind going into detail about this setting?

I already did! It's for retro pulp crime-fighting adventures in the style of the Shadow, early Batman, and so on and so forth.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I did forget that, yeah; I was just thinking Jack Kirby stuff because he did the character designs for Thundarr.

To be fair there's a bit of cross pollination between Kirby and He-man, since the Live-action He-man got its start as a 4th World movie that took a weird left turn at some point in development.

Which means that somehow we got deprived of Frank Langella playing Darkseid instead of Skeletor.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

To be fair there's a bit of cross pollination between Kirby and He-man, since the Live-action He-man got its start as a 4th World movie that took a weird left turn at some point in development.

Which means that somehow we got deprived of Frank Langella playing Darkseid instead of Skeletor.
There's cross-pollination between Kirby and everyone because he can absorb their powers!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

That's actually not quite the case; it was made as a tribute to all of Kirby's work, not just the Fourth World.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stan Lee tried to steal some of Jack Kirby's ideas but Kirby used his Leaf power to shred all the stolen pages!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

I already did! It's for retro pulp crime-fighting adventures in the style of the Shadow, early Batman, and so on and so forth.

neat, might have to borrow that for a Golden Age Superheroes game I was planning on running with Hideouts & Hoodlums a superheroes RPG made using the Swords & Wizardry ruleset that's specifically designed to be used for Golden Age superhero shenanigans(and is so far the only Superhero system I've seen to use a class system and actually work)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

So Chicago and Mt Rushmore traded places because Chicagoans were sick of having such great weather. Detroit pulled up stakes and floated through the sky to chase New York into the Atlantic. When GenCon decided to move to Niagara Falls due to homophobic laws, the rest of Indianapolis decided to tag along. Tijuana was renamed "Tombstone" after Val Kilmer, Kurt Russel and Bill Paxton were found having a threesome there. The Mississippi was diverted to flow into the Atlantic, presumably in order to fix up the trouble between Georgia and Tennessee over water rights.

Okay, I buy it.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 2, 2015

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

drrockso20 posted:

neat, might have to borrow that for a Golden Age Superheroes game I was planning on running with Hideouts & Hoodlums a superheroes RPG made using the Swords & Wizardry ruleset that's specifically designed to be used for Golden Age superhero shenanigans(and is so far the only Superhero system I've seen to use a class system and actually work)

Huh, that sounds like an interesting system. And sure, go for it! I'm happy to know people are usin' my material.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

So Chicago and Mt Rushmore traded places because Chicagoans were sick of having such great weather. Detroit pulled up stakes and floated through the sky to chase New York into the Atlantic. When GenCon decided to move to Niagara Falls due to homophobic laws, the rest of Indianapolis decided to tag along. Tijuana was renamed "Tombstone" after Val Kilmer, Kurt Russel and Bill Paxton were found having a threesome there. The Mississippi was diverted to flow into the Atlantic, presumably in order to fix up the trouble between Georgia and Tennessee over water rights.

Okay, I buy it.

It's a JRPG about 1800s America dude.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's a JRPG about 1800s America dude.

I like my idea better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Have there been any actual translations of Tengai Makyou IV yet?

• Locked thread