Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Riso posted:

Did you not receive my email on Sunday with my car?

It got caught in the spam filter.

Also there will be no limiting of tire quality points or any other category for that matter. Putting points into one category at the expense of others can have serious reliability implications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

FatCow posted:

Everyone who had a surviving car needs to fire your driver, use that poo poo up in the time allotted.

What are you saying?

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
So I've got a car that's doing 4'11" flat around LeMans, but it seems like that's not going to be anywhere near enough to be competitive. I need to go find some engine tutorials or something I guess.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
MrChips, I have just sent you a rules legal car and am currently working on a second entry. Also, can I request to be car number 33? I had #33 in every sport I played as a kid.

In other news, the engineers here at Phoenix Motorsports have been spending plenty of time in the lab looking for ways to make the car more competitive. Many of them are begging me to ditch forced induction so we may make more power through displacement. But I will not hear of such nonsense! Our "cuddlebug" 2.2L V8 stands at the heart of what makes Phoenix Motorsport great! We have found a replacement for displacement. They have however found other avenues from which they can squeeze performance.

Our latest discovery was that we could save a full 1.2lbs by simply switching our livery to a different colour.

Clearly, it is having a positive effect:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

Also, can I request to be car number 33? I had #33 in every sport I played as a kid.

Yes. In fact, if you guys want to choose your numbers, pick two consecutive numbers (that aren't 1 or 2 - nobody gets to wear them this season - or 9 and 10, those are mine :v:) and let me know.

Test Day 1 is now complete:

Test Day 2 has been scheduled for Wednesday, June 24th for new entrants missing the deadline for the first test day. The timeline going forward looks like this:

24 June: Test Day 2, Circuit de Catalunya (new entrants only)
29 June: Final deadline for entries. No new entrants will be permitted after this day.
01 July: Final Test Day, all entrants
03 July: Entrant "Freeze Day"; all entrants designs will be considered "frozen" as of this day at 5pm Pacific Time. Only one engine revision will be allowed for the rest of the season after this point.
06 July: SA-GTE season begins!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 18, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I want to make my engine more economical, but every drop in hp I see gives me a physical pain in my chest and I just can't bring myself to do it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I think I may be doing as well as is possible with a 2800lb chassis, but those times really aren't competitive. Making this old thing faster really needs serious aero adjustments, or I have completely failed at gearing and tires. One of the two.

Anyone have any advice? If I got all the way to full downforce, I can get positive downforce numbers at full speed, but it significantly impacts my max speed. I think right now, my issue is that my rear end is floating at the upper end and robbing all my grip.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 18, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Lose weight, put on a rear wing and front lips, put 15 QP into tyres. Then start fiddling with the aero sliders. I suggest finding a neutral, non-lift setting first and then seeing where you can go from there.

The body is still not very aerodynamic however and you are fighting an uphill battle with an uneconomical engine.

Your car's what, 400lbs over minimum weight?
Lose it. You probably didn't make your engine with cast iron and avoid titanium rods, so why not modernise the chassis?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Liquid Communism posted:

I think I may be doing as well as is possible with a 2800lb chassis, but those times really aren't competitive. Making this old thing faster really needs serious aero adjustments, or I have completely failed at gearing and tires. One of the two.

Anyone have any advice? If I got all the way to full downforce, I can get positive downforce numbers at full speed, but it significantly impacts my max speed. I think right now, my issue is that my rear end is floating at the upper end and robbing all my grip.

- Lose all the weight you can. Try to be underweight as much as possible and then make up weight with your "ballast"
- Put a rear and chin spoiler on your car. Even at stock values your rear should be providing downforce. The idea is to go as little downforce as possible without compromising top speed. This is where you are going to lose the bulk of your setup time. put a couple points into either front or rear downforce, see if that drastically affects your top speed, and tweak your gearing and suspension as necessary then run a lap. You'll eventually get to a place where a single point in either direction will cause a decrease in performance. If it's still too slow then you have to start getting drastic with your suspension setup.

But first lose all of that flab and watch those mph's soar.

[edit]Looking at the practice 1 chart, going by best lap I'm 4th. But I made so many stops I finished in 11th. gently caress.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 18, 2015

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a question: in the races, is there an element of chance, or is everything basically determined from the beginning? Can cars experience mechanical failures, flats, unplanned fuel consumption etc. that is random?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

OK, a quick elaboration on safety, as requested;

The rules state that all cars must have a minimum of Basic 00s, +4 Quality Points in the Safety category of their design. This can be thought of as a minimum level of safety equipment. The other minimum in the rules is that all cars must achieve a safety rating equal to or greater than 50.0. Now, if your car has a rating higher than 50.0 without meeting the Basic +4 safety criteria, it still must have Basic +4, even if your car has a 100.0 safety rating. If your car cannot achieve the 50.0 rating with Basic +4 (and there are a few body styles in the game that will not), or if you feel the need to go over and above the minimums, you can have higher-tech safety systems and more Quality Points in the Safety category without regard to the Quality Points allotted to the body/chassis/engine totals.

Liquid Communism posted:

Basically adjust, test, repeat. It is amazing just how much more speed you can find with just a tweak here and a tweak there. Of course some more drastic measures might be needed but that's fine; my piece of advice would be to look to the history of muscle cars, specifically that of their racing derivatives, for inspiration. I for one look forward to the appearance of a Griffin GT Superbird. Just know that Smokey Yunick style cheating won't make it past scrutineering. :)

bolind posted:

I have a question: in the races, is there an element of chance, or is everything basically determined from the beginning? Can cars experience mechanical failures, flats, unplanned fuel consumption etc. that is random?

Nothing is determined from the beginning, and everything you mention is modelled in the simulation, sometimes quite cruelly I might add.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 18, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

quote:

OK, a quick elaboration on safety, as requested;

Thanks for the clarification but I think it just shows the safety rule is too complicated.

I don't know why it can't be a simpler "has to have a minimum safety of X, quality points in this area are free" and let people figure out the rest.

VV Perhaps people could be allowed to enter that LMP body in a different class?

Riso fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 18, 2015

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

MrChips: I don't intend to enter my LMP chassis as I intend to submit a road car for road racing, not a non-production racing prototype - but if it were to go into the test day, where would it fall?

Edit: also thank you for the detailed race report! Are the races going to be based on time, distance covered, laps? Also good to know my car didn't have any failures and is just a thirsty pig. Thanks!

Tremek fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 18, 2015

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The LMP isn't really any faster than the modern sport car bodies, a separate class would be pretty useless. It has a pretty middling drag coefficient and the advantage on tire widths is irelevant here. The only advantage is the center of gravity seems to be a tiny bit lower but it's not terribly significant.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Kafouille posted:

The LMP isn't really any faster than the modern sport car bodies, a separate class would be pretty useless. It has a pretty middling drag coefficient and the advantage on tire widths is irelevant here. The only advantage is the center of gravity seems to be a tiny bit lower but it's not terribly significant.

If my LMP build turns out faster than your MR build, would you be sad? :)

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
After much thought I am abandoning my previous FF gimmick pickup, the Decimator LX, for a FF economy sports coupe gimmick.

Presenting the Decimator Green Motion Spec-R E-Type

This beauty builds on all the things the Decimator team learned from the LX. While the LX was an entry level sports car built for the economy focused enthusiast who wanted to drive to the track and bring an extra set of tires, the Green Motion Spec-R E-Type is a true sports car for the green minded individual. Want to hang with supercars, but hate paying for the fuel? With our new White Top V8 while other drivers are in the pit getting fuel, you'll be on the track making laps.

In the Decimator Green Motion Spec-R E-Type sports and economy combine into one imposing package.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Tremek posted:

If my LMP build turns out faster than your MR build, would you be sad? :)

I know your LMP is faster but i'm pretty sure it has more to do with the engine than the chassis.

EDIT : Not to mention it's not that hard to go fast if you just say gently caress it to fuel efficiency :

(And yes that is rules legal with full cooling and decent reliability)

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 18, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Riso posted:

Thanks for the clarification but I think it just shows the safety rule is too complicated.

I don't know why it can't be a simpler "has to have a minimum safety of X, quality points in this area are free" and let people figure out the rest.

It isn't too complicated; all of the entries except for one passed scrutineering on safety after all.

Tremek posted:

MrChips: I don't intend to enter my LMP chassis as I intend to submit a road car for road racing, not a non-production racing prototype - but if it were to go into the test day, where would it fall?

Edit: also thank you for the detailed race report! Are the races going to be based on time, distance covered, laps? Also good to know my car didn't have any failures and is just a thirsty pig. Thanks!

Referring back to the rules, all of the races are timed, with an assortment of 6-, 12- and 24-hour races.

I have no idea how the LMP would have done, frankly. Probably a bit better than the Wagonator, but not as much as you'd expect. On that note, there will be no other classes of car running in this; the amount of work involved with just the one class has ballooned beyond what I had expected it would, to the point that I'm thinking of capping entries as it is.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
This stupid game.

Adding the 4 points to safety makes my car half a second slower.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

to the point that I'm thinking of capping entries as it is.

Welp, time to get mine figured the gently caress out. I seem to have no problem building drivetrains but the rest of the car is invariably poo poo :getin:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Welp, time to get mine figured the gently caress out. I seem to have no problem building drivetrains but the rest of the car is invariably poo poo :getin:

Yeah I'm in the same boat, way way uncompetitive.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Riso posted:

This stupid game.

Adding the 4 points to safety makes my car half a second slower.

Just like everybody else's car.

Look Riso, I've indulged you as far as I'm willing to now. Nobody else in here has made even so much as a word of complaint as to the rules; they've just knuckled under and come up with their own solution, many of which are far more creative than anything I could have possibly expected. Your choices are thus:

1) Shut up and comply with the rules, or

2) gently caress off.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am complaining about the black box that is automation, not making a car to fit to your regs.

The game gives simply terrible feedback. Why do changes to safety affect performance that much even though it barely increases weight? The game certainly won't tell me.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Screw it, sent in a submission. Curious to see how it does against the other FF monstrosities.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Is it safe to assume that a cars fuel consumption will be somewhat consistent regardless of the types of tracks employed (ie using less fuel on fast tracks that emphasize power vs slower tracks that emphasize handling)?

Because if that is the case, then MrChips I may ask you for a screenshot of my engine file running on your machine. Unless something is loving up the calculations on your end, then I may have to emergency clean sheet the engine because I can't for the life of me figure these numbers out.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

Is it safe to assume that a cars fuel consumption will be somewhat consistent regardless of the types of tracks employed (ie using less fuel on fast tracks that emphasize power vs slower tracks that emphasize handling)?

It will not be consistent from track to track. Higher speed tracks like Le Mans, Monza and Montreal have higher precentages of full throttle usage while the Nurburgring, Silverstone and COTA are quite a bit lower.

Some additional tips for fuel economy; making less horsepower will make you burn less fuel, and longer, wider spaced gearing will improve fuel economy. Both of these are at the expense of speed, so you need to balance the one or two seconds a lap you'll lose by the 50-80 second penalty (varies by track) incurred by a fuel stop.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

It pained me to do it, but against all my inner instincts, I tuned the VNA to be a little bit less of a gas guzzler. It still runs a respectable time, considering:

... but gets 25% better fuel consumption. Fewer pit stops seems like a good thing. I guess. :(

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

That's it.

I'm getting my gearbox figured out and I'm going to submit my comedy entry as the last-place anchor.

It's a 1999 Miata with a turbo Hayabusa motor as closely as I can make it.

edit: submitted

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 19, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tremek posted:

It pained me to do it, but against all my inner instincts, I tuned the VNA to be a little bit less of a gas guzzler. It still runs a respectable time, considering:

... but gets 25% better fuel consumption. Fewer pit stops seems like a good thing. I guess. :(
How the gently caress are you magicians doing this?!?!

I managed an 8.9% fuel economy bump and I'm still pulling low 4:10's

You're making me think I should just clean sheet this engine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My engineers got very lazy with the primer... and the wheels... and the name. I present the FID 91!

They've informed me that pretty things don't make it faster, even though they went ahead and put some actual padding on the seats. What luxury!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Tremek posted:

Say it ain't so, I was rooting for the gas guzzling massive trap speed ludicrous wagon

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That's it.

I'm getting my gearbox figured out and I'm going to submit my comedy entry as the last-place anchor.

It's a 1999 Miata with a turbo Hayabusa motor as closely as I can make it.

edit: submitted

You'll have to go far to beat me for last place, buddy. :D

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Anyone got any tips for reducing wheelspin in an FF car? My car's wheelspin is ridiculous.

The driver doesn't even go full throttle for most of the Mulsanne straight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Anyone got any tips for reducing wheelspin in an FF car? My car's wheelspin is ridiculous.

More tire width (if not already at 365), race tires, more front downforce?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you guys want to improve your car watch this dev video. It explains the Performance Index and why you would want to maximise it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkUYdwRnXhE

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

You can:
Change differentials
Gear ratios
Tyres

Edit:
Latest dev update! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dQDJn-6v5Q
V6 sounds and.. the openbeta will have an export function for challenges!

Riso fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 19, 2015

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

8ender posted:

Say it ain't so, I was rooting for the gas guzzling massive trap speed ludicrous wagon

It's only lost 1 second off LeMans, so it's not THAT much slower. I think I'm battling a lot of wheel slippage.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
After receiving the poor results of the Circuit de Catalunya test session, the engineers drowned their sorrows in alcohol. Immediately after the binge drinking sessions, they informed me that apparently the best way to improve lap times is to make the car understeer like a pig.

Then they overdosed on cocaine, but before death submitted one last design.

Top speed: 288.00 kph/178.955 mph. :smug:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Uh, that small white circle is supposed to be on or between the red and blue lines.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

On a lark, I yanked the engine out of the Griffin and threw it in an actual racecar body, got her down to 4:17 on La Sarthe.

So clearly I have the engine, just need the aero. If I could run this thing with what'll fit in the chassis, the only problem would be keeping the tires on the road. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Riso posted:

Uh, that small white circle is supposed to be on or between the red and blue lines.

That's what I thought too. Lap times disagree.

Don't ask me how. Maybe my race drivers are soccer moms?

• Locked thread